Evernote won't open

Ever since the last update a few days ago, Evernote won't open, I get the message:

"Evernote.exe v.4.6.3.8096 has encountered a problem and needs to close"

when I try to open it.

I've sent a couple trouble reports in response, got no answer. Running Win 7, Evernote was working fine until the update. I did reset my password am able to use the (clumsier) browser version. If Evernote won't open, how will I get the next update? Thanks.

Thanks. Is there any way for me to know when it will work? I certainly don't want to waste time uninstalling & doing new install multiple times. Also, will I lose any EN settings by doing this? Is there any chance EN will notify me of another way to fix it? I'm not familiar with Revo uninstaller, is it an EN product? If so, where do I get it? (I generally try to stick with plain vanilla MS or other trusted vendor SW to avoid malware.) I greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks. Is there any way for me to know when it will work? I certainly don't want to waste time uninstalling & doing new install multiple times. Also, will I lose any EN settings by doing this? Is there any chance EN will notify me of another way to fix it? I'm not familiar with Revo uninstaller, is it an EN product? If so, where do I get it? (I generally try to stick with plain vanilla MS or other trusted vendor SW to avoid malware.) I greatly appreciate the help.

I don't know what you mean about knowing when it will work. If you can't even open EN, the normal first step is uninstalling & reinstalling. Revo is a very reputable app & usually the free one is all you need. If your notes are sync'd, you should not lose any data. If you have unsync'd notes, including local/non-sync'd notebooks, those will be lost, unless you have a current backup of your database. Before uninstalling, I would recommend you make a backup of your your-username.exb file to be cautious.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

• 2 months later...

I have same problem - but get no errors - EN Windows 7 simply won't open. 

Tried uninstalling, restarting, reinstalling - no luck.

Version 4.6.6.8360.  Any ideas ?

Hi,

Did you try using Revo un-installer as Burgers pointed to above your post?

Best regards

Chris

• 1 month later...

I am going to bump this post because this is a major issue for me and this discussion has not been solved nor closed.

The thesis is this: I cant use the desktop client and I NEED to as I have 1000+ important notes stored on LOCAL notebooks. I am paralyzed and am a sitting duck without being able to access those notes. I have spent at least 16 hours trying to figure this out and still no solution. So I am calling in the SWAT team to help. 

The information below will be of use for you & help you help me [and anyone else who has this issue, past, present, or future]

post-140959-0-86710600-1373481654_thumb.

A few points:

1. Ignore the caplocks. I do most of my .txt typing in it. So please don't comment on how rude I am. It is just my style of working. 
  2. I have done more than my due diligence so I request to use my lifeline to phone a friend, BugerNFries, to specifically respond and help me with this You have been by far the most competent during my research to try to solve this on my own. 
  3. I have attached the last log I have before this issue reared its ugly head and I started troubleshooting

AppLog_2013-07-04.txt

AppLog_2013-07-07.txt

AppLog_2013-07-08.txt

1. I have multiple redundant backups of the evernote files and the files in evernote but those are all last resort 'grab the golden football, get the activation codes, & launch the nukes' scenario. I have spent hours trying to avoid doing that as it would take about a week to get up to speed. [Not that I am approaching it pretty quickly as I've already lost 2 days in productivity trying to fix this]
  2. I am an engineer, not a computer engineer, but an engineer nonetheless. I love to and can solve problems but stuff like this I do not have any patience for because I have alot going on in life and I have spent months perfecting my evernote filing system{Shout out to David Allen & GTD!!!}. As Ben Franklin said " A place for everything, everything in its place".  
  3. I work in some of the most dangerous situations known to man so I know all about procedures, redundant systems, unplanned events, preventative maintenance, and putting your nose to the grind to fix it yourself but I am also smart enough to call in the experts [which apparently the evernote support team is not, as I am getting basic responses from them] to help me solve this issue. 

Some useful information to help you help me

1. I do have a ticket opened with the support team. They have been lackluster in their assistance. 
  2. I have attached the last 4[four] logs before this issue transpired. This is so you can see what the program was logging before and after the issue arose.
    1. It will mention that it states I have insufficient memory, which is false.
      1. I went out yesterday and spend 5 hours & $100+ getting my memory upgraded from 4GB of RAM to 10GB of RAM. 
      2. I also used the programs Disk Space Fan 4 & WinDirStat to analyze my C/ Drive. The current state of my C Drive is [Capacity 88.1GB | USED 65.9GB | FREE 22.2 GB]. 
    2. So evidently these are moot issues right now. Even if they weren't then, which I highly think they were irrelevant at the time, they certainly are now and this issue is still present. 
  3. I also have attached a screen shot of the error message that came up. 

My Standard Operating Procedures to try to rectify the situation on my own

1. Backup the files in  C:\Users\Mej4d\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Database  to MULTIPLE  safe remote location
  2.  Also Made a redundant backup of the specific file USERNAME.EXB in other locations. 

[http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22426-how-to-backup-your-windows-client-evernote-database/]

How to backup your Windows client Evernote database

• Invoke Evernote
  • Go to tools/options/general tab. This shows the folder where your Evernote database & associated files live on your Windows computer. Make a note of it.
  • Completely exit Evernote. IE, make sure no EN icon is showing in the system tray.
  • Copy & paste the folder noted above. I prefer to append the date of the backup in the folder name in YYYYMMDD format. IE, I will copy "My EN Files" to "My EN Files 20111209". This is helpful when you have multiple backups b/c you can sort them chronologically & also quickly know when the backup was done.
  • That's it.
FYI, the most crucial file is the YourUserName.exb file where "YourUserName" is your EN account login name. But I prefer to backup all the files. If you wish, you can simply copy the exb file.

EDIT on 2/3/2012: ALL notebooks, regardless if they are local (non-sync'd) or sync'd are stored in your exb file. All attachments are also stored in your exb file. IOW, this gets the whole kit & kaboodle.

(Or is that kitten kaboodle???)

1.  UNINSTALL EVERNOTE WITH REVO UNINSTALLER

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/35696-evernote-wont-open/

The usual first suggestion is to completely uninstall Evernote, possibly using the Revo uninstaller product, and then reinstalling.

1. REBOOT COMPUTER

2. DOWNLOAD AND REINSTALL THE PROGRAM version 4.6.6.8360

3. THEN ADD THE MJOHS.EXB FILE TO THE C:\Users\Mej4d\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Database  ACCORDING TO THIS PROCEDURE. 

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22426-how-to-backup-your-windows-client-evernote-database/

Hi,

First of all, let me say thank you to everyone who has posted such helpful info on this thread!

I do, however, have what are probably a few "duh" questions regarding backup:

1.) After I make an EN backup, how do I open the .exb file extension? Can this only be opened via EverNote?
2.) If I assume the worst happens and I lose my EN information in a crash, will I be able to later use my backup with the .exb file extension to reopen (and therefore recover) all of my files in EN?

Thank you for your help!

The exb file is a MySQL database file.

In Windows, to restore from a backup or move your database to another computer:

Hi Tymbee,
welcome to the forum.
Actually it is quite simple:

Install a new and clean EN app on your new harddisk.
Go to TOOLS >> OPTIONS to make sure where your (new and empty) database file is located (username.exb).
Then replace that file with your backup .exb file (the old one that you saved).
Exit and restart EN.
You should see your notes.
Good luck.
Wern

I follow these SOP's ACCORDING TO THE FOLLOWING WORKAROUNDS FOUND ON THIS FORM from none other than BURGERNFRIES. Shout out to you BurgerNFries. Btw my favorite Burger Joint in California is In-N-Out Burger; in Texas WhataBurger lol.

One last point of consideration

AFTER I DO The aforementioned I BRIEFLY SEE MY NOTES AND THEN THE ORIGINAL ISSUE COMES BACK UP. I AM STARTING TO BELIEVE IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE  mjohs.exb file being corrupted. Something of this relevance is mentioned in this fourm 

I have done this many times (at least 5) to prime a new EN Windows environment.
I have always however used a known good copy of my user.exb.
In OP's case the backup database may be corrupt.

Though in my opinion this would not make sense because 
  1. it was not stated in the logs
  2. My hard drive did not crash
  3. I have the mjohs.exb file that I recovered from my backup and consequently used and still same issue. 
-------------------------------------------------

POTENTIAL SOLUTIONS THAT I'M BRINING TO THE TABLE THAT I WOULD LIKE INPUT ON
  1. INSTALLING THE EVERNOTE version 4.6.6.8360 on an external harddrive i.e. not the C/ Drive
  2. Installing an older version of the software  EVERNOTE version 4.6.5.8353
  3. Installing an older version of the software  EVERNOTE version 4.6.5.8353 ON AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

------------------------------------------------

TIMELY, RELEVANT, AND USEFUL INPUT WOULD BE FOREVER GRATEFUL. 

THANKS ALL,

mj

Evernote crashes every time its started with:

'Evernote.exe v.4.6.6.8360 has encountered a problem and needs to close'

C++ Runtime Library: 'runtime error'

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I found the solution

I did an uninstall and reinstall with no success.

I then did an Uninstall with REVO and when using REVO I approved deleting <ALL> files as well as lingering Registry files.

Did a fresh install and I am good to go.

Thanks to other forum entry for recommending REVO!!

• 2 months later...

I had this same problem.  I used REVO and it worked, in that I could use Evernote again.  Now, less than a week later, Evernote does not open.  No error messages, nothing.  I can't be REVOing Evernote every week!  There must be a solution.

I had this same problem.  I used REVO and it worked, in that I could use Evernote again.  Now, less than a week later, Evernote does not open.  No error messages, nothing.  I can't be REVOing Evernote every week!  There must be a solution.

Submit a support ticket?

I have discovered that rebooting Windows 7 does bring Evernote back to life without Revo, but I don't reboot very often (takes a LONG time), so I don't really consider this a solution.  Does anyone know if there is a log or something I can look at. It's frustrating that there is no error message.

I have discovered that rebooting Windows 7 does bring Evernote back to life without Revo, but I don't reboot very often (takes a LONG time), so I don't really consider this a solution.  Does anyone know if there is a log or something I can look at. It's frustrating that there is no error message.

Submit a support ticket?

I have the same problem, Evernote works for a few days, then wont work until I reboot the Laptop (Win7). The odd thing is that the Web Clipper and Early still work fine even though I cannot open Evernote on the Laptop. This problem does not ocurr on either Smartphone or iPad. Uninstall and reinstall, using either Revo or Your Un-Installer, makes no difference.

I have the same problem, Evernote works for a few days, then wont work until I reboot the Laptop (Win7). The odd thing is that the Web Clipper and Early still work fine even though I cannot open Evernote on the Laptop. This problem does not ocurr on either Smartphone or iPad. Uninstall and reinstall, using either Revo or Your Un-Installer, makes no difference.

Please read posts 12 & 15.

(Yawn)

• 10 months later...

The Problem:

I had the same problem that seemed to have started after an update around February.,  This is what fixed it permanently. The problem for me was not EN not opening, it was opening but not showing up on the desktop. Its icon appeared both on the Win7 taskbar and when using Alt-Tab to switch between open programs in Win7.

Theory:

EN was opening hidden off screen.

A Solution:

1. Rightclick on the Windows taskbar and choose: Show the desktop,
  2. Rightclick Windows taskbar again and select the new menu item: Show open windows,
  3. Evernote appeared in the upper left corner of the screen in a small window.
  4. Do not maximze the EN window. Restoring or minimizing makes it disappear again.
  5. Resize the window by dragging the side or corner window resize handles.
  6. You may have to do this through several reboots until EN gets the idea of its correct window start size.

My workflow revolves around having Evernote available constantly,  I was glad to have it back around after such a long absence.

• 10 months later...

Archived