(Archived) export from old Evernote (Free) to the current version

eischech

I've been using Evernote (Free) for years and love it. It's time to switch to the current version of Evernote so I can have notes available on both my desktop and tablet.

I'm currently runnung Evernote (Free) version 2.2.0.384 under Windows XP (SP3). I'll need to export my database & tags from Evernote(Free) and import them into the current version. The Knowledge Base says that "...any .enex file you create can be reimported into any Evernote desktop client." However, export files made by Evernote(Free) are .enx files, not .enex. Will the current Evernote (v 4.6.3.8096) import the old version's .enx archives? If not, how can I get my old Evernote database & tags into the current version of Evernote?

Thanks --

I've been using Evernote (Free) for years and love it. It's time to switch to the current version of Evernote so I can have notes available on both my desktop and tablet.

I'm currently runnung Evernote (Free) version 2.2.0.384 under Windows XP (SP3). I'll need to export my database & tags from Evernote(Free) and import them into the current version. The Knowledge Base says that "...any .enex file you create can be reimported into any Evernote desktop client." However, export files made by Evernote(Free) are .enx files, not .enex. Will the current Evernote (v 4.6.3.8096) import the old version's .enx archives? If not, how can I get my old Evernote database & tags into the current version of Evernote?

Thanks --

You should submit a support ticket. (See my sig.)  Last I knew, you cannot convert from a Windows 2.x database to 4.x.  The only way (last I knew) is by using EN 3.1, which is no longer supported & *then* update to 4.x.  Support will have to provide you the link to 3.1  The reason you have to go via 3.1 is due to some changes in the database that were only included in 3.1

• Level 5*

One thing that you could try (after backing up your old .enx files first, of course) is to rename one of your .enx files a .enex file (e.g. blah.enx --> blah.enex), and see if that will import.

Thanks. I submitted a support ticked; we'll see what happens. I did think about renaming the .enx file but if the database structure has changed (see BurgersNFries' reply) that probably won't work. But I'll hold the idea in reserve... ;)

• Level 5*

The database may have changed, but in a compatible way, or the importer may recognize the old format -- it'd be worth a try, I would think (I'd do it, in other words).

One thing that you could try (after backing up your old .enx files first, of course) is to rename one of your .enx files a .enex file (e.g. blah.enx --> blah.enex), and see if that will import.

I'm kinda thinking if it were that easy, that would have been the recommended method. But the recommended method (per Dave E) was going via 3.1  I remember a time when a few people were peeved at having to go via 3.1 when it was no longer supported & they wanted to update directly from 2.x to the first versions of 4.x. The usual angry threads about EN devs being slackers b/c the database migration code should have been included in the subsequent 4.x clients & all that jazz.

SOLVED!

No auto-reply or case# from Support yet, but... Filehorse has old versions (and new ones) -- see http://www.filehorse.com/download-evernote/1454/old-versions/page-1/. I downloaded v 3.1.0.1212, virus-checked it, backed up my v2.1 database files, and imported them into v3.1 with no problem. Then I exported all the notes & their tags to an .enex file, backed up the 3.1 database files just in case, uninstalled v3.1, installed v 4.6.3.8096, and imported the .enex into v4.6. Again, no problems. Well, except that the tags list came through in alpha order and I had to re-organize it. But that's minor, considering.

So thanks, all.

SOLVED!

No auto-reply or case# from Support yet, but... Filehorse has old versions (and new ones) -- see http://www.filehorse.com/download-evernote/1454/old-versions/page-1/. I downloaded v 3.1.0.1212, virus-checked it, backed up my v2.1 database files, and imported them into v3.1 with no problem. Then I exported all the notes & their tags to an .enex file, backed up the 3.1 database files just in case, uninstalled v3.1, installed v 4.6.3.8096, and imported the .enex into v4.6. Again, no problems. Well, except that the tags list came through in alpha order and I had to re-organize it. But that's minor, considering.

So thanks, all.

Glad you were able to find a good copy of 3.1 & get updated!  YAY!

Eischech, thank you so much for having found this procedure.

I tried it but alas my "old_version.enex" database ( from 2 to 3 ) could not be imported in the new version (4). I get the error : "MISSING_NOTE_TITLE" :-(

Any suggestions ?

Thank You so much.

Archived