Jackolicious

mac (Archived) Evernote 5.0.6 For Mac

50 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

You've all probably read this by now, and there are plenty of threads about it on this forum already. However, in the midst of everything, we released a great version for you all. Let us know how you like it.

New Features

- New Premium feature: Evernote search now works with your office documents (details to come on our blog)
- Re-designed Menu Bar Helper called Quick Note: Create a note any time by clicking the helper or CMD+CTRL+N (old functionality is cmd-opt-ctrl-N)
- New redesigned welcome window
- Multi-select Tags in the Sidebar by CMD-clicking
- Access Premium features and upgrade from the Sidebar

Other Improvements
- Fixed pasting issues
- Business Trash deletion issues are resolved
- Improved speed of large paste operations
- Evernote window no longer steals focus
- Miscellaneous bug and stability fixes

- New Premium feature: Evernote search now works with your office documents (details to come on our blog)

That's a fantastic new feature tucked into this update!  Evernote search has become much more powerful for me now since I have numerous Office documents in my account.

- Re-designed Menu Bar Helper called Quick Note: Create a note any time by clicking the helper or CMD+CTRL+N (old functionality is cmd-opt-ctrl-N)

I do not appear to be seeing this new Quick Note functionality.  Do I need to do something to activate it?  (I'm using the Mac App Store version of Evernote, if that matters.)

I am also not seeing the new Quick Note functionality. I have the Mac App Store version as well, but the release notes for that mentioned this feature also, if I recall correctly.

I do not appear to be seeing this new Quick Note functionality.  Do I need to do something to activate it?  (I'm using the Mac App Store version of Evernote, if that matters.)

Same here.  No Quick Note.  CMD+CTRL+N gives me a full new Evernote Note Window.

Updated to 5.06 via Mac App Store, but do not have the functionality of the new Quick Note.  Restarted my Mac, etc. but continue to have old version in menu bar.  I've checked preferences, etc. to see if there is a setting I've missed, but not luck.  Anyone have a solution?

I'm finding that screen capture is broken.  I use the "Clip Rectangle or Window" feature (Keyboard Shortcuts) system-wide all the time, but it's no longer working in the latest update this weekend.

Also, pasting images outside EN remains broken.  I used to paste images captured using EN into Mail messages & elsewhere.  This has been broken for several updates and remains broken now.  I can paste OK within EN, but outside EN only the top portion of an image will paste.  The bottom half (or more) isn't there.

Fingers are crossed for fixes to both issues as I need these features.

What OS are you running where you don't see Quick Note? I would make sure you've run your Mac's software updates and try again. Quick Note was designed to work on the latest versions of 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8.

What OS are you running where you don't see Quick Note? I would make sure you've run your Mac's software updates and try again. Quick Note was designed to work on the latest versions of 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8.

And my bugs :)

Specifically, is this note link thing a new feature or a bug?

10.8.2. I am as up to date as you can get.

New quick note feature not working for me either.  All software up to date.

I'm also running 10.8.2 and Evernote 5.0.6 but no Quick Note.

Quick Note works for me on the latest Evernote version downloaded from your website.

It does not work on the Mac App Store version.

I am using version 5.0.6 download from Evernote.com on Mac OS X 10.8.2

All software and OS X are checked with the latest update.

I don't see the new "Quick Note" window too. :(

There is a "quick note" option in a new menu shown when you click in the gear wheel icon. This icon is shown in the new window upper left corner when you click in the elephant icon.

The lost option now is "paste in Evernote", very useful for me. 

Ctr+cmd+v works, but ...

While it didn't get any love in change list, THANK YOU for allowing Spotlight search to pop up only the requested document, and not the main window. I live and die by Spotlight and I can't tell you how much grief that was causing me. Very happy!

Unlike others, I am on latest 10.8 and I do get the new quick note feature. A new issue though: if you choose NOT to display the Elephant in the menu bar (one of the preferences), then the keyboard shortcut does nothing. It would be nice if it would fall back to the old behavior and pop up the full note window, but at the least it should disable the keyboard shortcut if the icon isn't shown, very confusing otherwise. Or don't allow people to turn off the menu item at all.

Thanks again!

I reported earlier that my update of Evernote did not provide the Quick Note functionality.  I have two Mac's... a Mac Pro and a MacBook Air... and while the Mac Pro update did not provide the Quick Note functionality, the MacBook Air update did.  Both are running the latest versions of all software.  I think the difference was, that when I updated the Mac Pro using the Mac App Store, Evernote was running at the time.  Of course, the update process quit Evernote, but for some reason, I don't think it quit properly.  The Evernote icon was still in the menu bar.  So I suspect the app didn't get properly updated... or at least the helper in the menu bar didn't.  This is different from the MacBook Air update where Evernote was not running at all when I initiated the update from the Mac App Store.  This update went flawlessly.

To remedy the situation on my Mac Pro, I tried deleting the Evernote app from the Applications folder and re-installing from the App Store, but that didn't help.  I guess whatever component is responsible for the menu bar helper did not get update doing that.

Bottom line... someone needs to provide some instructions on how to properly update the menu bar helper portion in the case of a failed update from the Mac App store.

While it didn't get any love in change list, THANK YOU for allowing Spotlight search to pop up only the requested document, and not the main window. I live and die by Spotlight and I can't tell you how much grief that was causing me. Very happy!

Unlike others, I am on latest 10.8 and I do get the new quick note feature. A new issue though: if you choose NOT to display the Elephant in the menu bar (one of the preferences), then the keyboard shortcut does nothing. It would be nice if it would fall back to the old behavior and pop up the full note window, but at the least it should disable the keyboard shortcut if the icon isn't shown, very confusing otherwise. Or don't allow people to turn off the menu item at all.

Thanks again!

I'm not entirely sure what I did, but I fooled around with the preferences & the elephant icon as starkos was writing, and I got screen capture ("Clip Rectangle or Window" in Keyboard Shortcuts) to work again.  The pasting issue outside Evernote, which I mentioned above, still persists however.

And BTW, after doing this Quick Note functionality is working.  I'm running 10.7.5.

I reported earlier that my update of Evernote did not provide the Quick Note functionality.  I have two Mac's... a Mac Pro and a MacBook Air... and while the Mac Pro update did not provide the Quick Note functionality, the MacBook Air update did.  Both are running the latest versions of all software.  I think the difference was, that when I updated the Mac Pro using the Mac App Store, Evernote was running at the time.  Of course, the update process quit Evernote, but for some reason, I don't think it quit properly.  The Evernote icon was still in the menu bar.  So I suspect the app didn't get properly updated... or at least the helper in the menu bar didn't.  This is different from the MacBook Air update where Evernote was not running at all when I initiated the update from the Mac App Store.  This update went flawlessly.

To remedy the situation on my Mac Pro, I tried deleting the Evernote app from the Applications folder and re-installing from the App Store, but that didn't help.  I guess whatever component is responsible for the menu bar helper did not get update doing that.

Bottom line... someone needs to provide some instructions on how to properly update the menu bar helper portion in the case of a failed update from the Mac App store.

I think this is probably the problem. This is how I installed it. I noticed after reading this that I could 'Quit' the icon in the menu bar. The icon disappeared, but Evernote was still running. I closed Evernote, and now both quit when I quit from the menu bar. But the Quick Note option, while I can set it in Preferences, doesn't work, and follows the menu bar option which is still 'New Note', even if I set quick note through the preferences to a different short cut key.

Same here. 10.8.2 Evernote 5.0.6 no Quick Note. Using the keyboard strokes launches EN and opens a full size note window.