• Announcements

• gbarry

Reach out to Evernote support on Twitter @EvernoteHelps   09/20/2016

We've been leveling up our support across all channels. If you're active on Twitter, try your hand with our @evernotehelps feed. It's helmed by a crack team out of Austin, TX who are here to answer your questions. They're generally active from 7am-4pm CST.  https://twitter.com/evernotehelps  
gazumped

(Archived) Password Reset Discussion Thread

What annoys me is the mess with Android phones. Can someone confirm that to save anything created on my phone since, I will have to manually copy all text to an email, save all images individually, and save every audio file individually...

:mellow:

There's a better way right?

What annoys me is the mess with Android phones. Can someone confirm that to save anything created on my phone since, I will have to manually copy all text to an email, save all images individually, and play every single audio file individually.. before I get the option to save.. each one... individually... 

:mellow:

There's a better way right?

Whenever it comes to something like this, I recommend contacting support (see the link in my signature). This is a new situation for everyone, and your data is at stake, so it helps to have an expert on hand to offer advice.

Not saying you should do this before following GM's suggestion to contact support,  but for information there have been a couple of happy posts from individuals - and I've done it myself - who were stuck with active sessions and unsynced notes;  then upgraded to the latest Android client (which was issued for this purpose) and were prompted for the password reset.  Syncing resumed immediately with no known loss of data.

(You need to go to Evernote.com and follow the reset process there before upgrading your Android)

Mileage may vary with different handsets so I'd get advice before you risk essential data with this trick..

• Like 2

Thanks Gaz, that was the ticket.

Play Store -> Find Evernote -> Select Update -> Once it's updated, Evernote prompted for the new password.

• Like 1

I haven't had a chance to read all the posts on this thread but I just went into my Evernote account, the first time since I was asked to reset my password and.....all my notes are GONE.

I am HOPING that they can be retrieved. I am effing angry. I had a fair bit of important notes on there that are not stored anywhere else and, oooohhhhh boy Evernote, I had best be able to retrieve them somehow.

If not, than I will never use Evernote again. They asked us to reset our passwords but no warning that we may be losing our notes.

I haven't had a chance to read all the posts on this thread but I just went into my Evernote account, the first time since I was asked to reset my password and.....all my notes are GONE.

I am HOPING that they can be retrieved. I am effing angry. I had a fair bit of important notes on there that are not stored anywhere else and, oooohhhhh boy Evernote, I had best be able to retrieve them somehow.

If not, than I will never use Evernote again. They asked us to reset our passwords but no warning that we may be losing our notes.

Maybe you should spend time reading the posts before posting a knee jerk reaction. Like this one that is only ~ six up from your post

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/35558-password-reset-discussion-thread/?p=194549

It surely doesn't make any sense to me that someone would post about a problem without first trying to see if there is a resolution.

• Like 1

Maybe you should spend time reading the posts before posting a knee jerk reaction. Like this one that is only ~ six up from your posthttp://discussion.evernote.com/topic/35558-password-reset-discussion-thread/?p=194549

It surely doesn't make any sense to me that someone would post about a problem without first trying to see if there is a resolution.

I have read that, actually, and it didn't help in my case. I logged in using the same email etc.

But thanks for your presumptuous and condescending answer.

Hope that made sense to you.

I have read that, actually, and it didn't help in my case. I logged in using the same email etc.

And did the part about contacting support make sense to you...???

• Like 1

Maybe you should spend time reading the posts before posting a knee jerk reaction. Like this one that is only ~ six up from your posthttp://discussion.evernote.com/topic/35558-password-reset-discussion-thread/?p=194549

So do you mean literally all your notes? Also, what device are you using?

I haven't heard of a case where we all the notes in an account. All the cases like this, (that I know of) have turned out to be a case of logging into a different account. I'd recommend trying all the steps here (which I think you've already read): http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/35574-notes-missing-after-password-reset/?p=192773

• Like 3

Burgers. Can you just stop? Really, are you always this condescending?

I contacted support last night, after I tried repeatedly to fix my problem, following the steps that I, yes, read on here BEFORE I posted my first comment.

So, to answer all your obnoxiously stated 'questions', I have done all the obvious things and I have yet to have my notes returned to my account.

Anything else you want to say to me or has someone else satisfied your need to snark on an Internet stranger today?

And Dlu, I am on iPad and desktop computer. I have already followed all the instructions, step by step, stated in the link above. No luck.

And, yes, all my notes are gone. Not a single one remains.

Thanks for replying.

And Dlu, I am on iPad and desktop computer. I have already followed all the instructions, step by step, stated in the link above. No luck.

And, yes, all my notes are gone. Not a single one remains.

Thanks for replying.

It sounds like you'll need to keep working with support, I don't know how much more help I'll be able to give via forum posts (this is just not the right venue), but I'll give it a shot. Also, are you on a Mac or a PC?

If you're on the desktop, you should have all your notes on your local hard drive at least. I'd make a backup of those immediately. Maybe a few backups, just for fun. There are plenty of forum posts about this if you search for them. Please go see if you have anything stored locally or anything that hasn't been synced yet. Ideally both your devices would have your notes and they would be in sync with each other, but that's probably not the case here.

If you login to both devices and you see nothing, then I am extremely confused. Perhaps some more detail would be useful as to where you are seeing zero notes. I've been assuming it has been only one device or just on the web.

If you can find your notes on either of your devices, I would get the activity logs for one or both devices. Towards the top of the logs it should say the username or email address of the account. I'm really hoping that we can find that, and it'll be a username and/or email address you haven't tried yet.

Otherwise, I may need more detail about what you're seeing, what you've done, etc.

best of luck.

I contacted support last night, after I tried repeatedly to fix my problem, following the steps that I, yes, read on here BEFORE I posted my first comment.

So, to answer all your obnoxiously stated 'questions', I have done all the obvious things and I have yet to have my notes returned to my account.

Anything else you want to say to me or has someone else satisfied your need to snark on an Internet stranger today?

You came here for help.  You do not post anything about what you've done, just a gripe post & yet you are annoyed when others (including moi) are pointing you to the already posted replies and ask if you've tried these things already.  We are not mind readers, contrary to what you seem to think.

Additionally, if you had a recent backup of your data (always good computer advice), you would at least have a good starting point, if indeed, you did lose all your data. 

Good luck. 

• Like 2

Actually, @ lotus road, perhaps you could relax a bit.  Nobody enjoyed this security event.  Your first post was angry and threatening, while admitting you had not first taken the minimal effort to read and learn from others' experiences.  And then you swore as well.

• Like 2

@lotus road - I just replied to your ticket with detailed steps of what we need you to do in order to pinpoint where the issue lies.  I included steps for all the major devices supported to determine if you have more than one Evernote account, as this has been the case from customers contacting support with loss of notes.

• Like 3

Burgers, I was frustrated last night. Admittedly. I had a lot of stuff on there regarding therapies for my daughter that I had on Evernote. I wasn't directing it at any specific individual, I was venting in general.

I have just recently uprooted my family and moved to a new country. The only device that came with us, technology-wise, is my daughters iPad. So, while backup is always sound advice and I DID do that regularly when I was living in Australia, I am starting all over again here in Canada and rely on the iPad and a recently acquired Windows desktop, which used to belong to my parents-in-law.

What I was annoyed at was the tone of your messages, which continued right up until your most recent message, where you calmed down the condescending tone a bit and stopped assuming.

BlueOak, I am relaxed. Actually, I'm about to meditate after I post here and get all Om with my naughty, swearing, has the odd-moment-of-frustration self (am i the only one who gets frustrated and vents when i lose important sh1te?!).

And if you would have another look at my first post, I refrained from properly swearing. I said 'effing', which felt damn good and somewhat satisfying at the time. The next time you do something like stub your toe or lose an important document, I wanna be a fly on the wall when you shout "Oh..... GOLLY-GOSH!"

Also, I said that I hadn't had a chance to read ALL of the posts. I had scanned some and had tried what had been suggested but, at that stage, I hadn't been able to read EVERYTHING.

Phil, thanks. I just saw it in my inbox. Will go through it and hopefully resolve this.

Evernote Security Criticized by Security experts

Article by arstechnica.com, Critics: Substandard crypto needlessly puts Evernote accounts at risk, makes two major points that many of us have been making here in these forums for a long time:

1. "the service needlessly put sensitive user data at risk because it employed substandard cryptographic protections when storing passwords on servers and Android handsets."
  2. "As online services try to convince us to trust them with more and more of our sensitive data, they have a responsibility to employ state-of-the-art software and techniques to harden their systems to hacking and minimize the damage when compromises do happen"

In particular, I remember a point make repeatedly by Evernote management that Evernote is highly skilled in security as their CTO Dave Engberg and others have a lot of pre-Evernote security experience, so we can rest assured that Evernote is providing a very high level of security.

The ArsTechnica article criticized Engberg in particular:

The chief complaint involves Evernote's use of the MD5 cryptographic algorithm to convert user passwords into one-way hashes before storing them in a database. Use of MD5 to store passwords has long been frowned on by security experts. . .

In a blog post from 2011, Evernote engineer Dave Engberg seemed oblivious to this well-understood truism.

"In the case of a purely back-end MD5 hash," he wrote in response to a reader challenging the MD5 choice, "any hypothetical attacker doesn’t have access to either the output (the MD5 hash) or the original input (the user’s password and our salt), so there really isn’t any productive attack based on MD5 vulnerabilities."

Of course, the attackers who gained access to Evernote servers did have the ability to read the MD5 hash, we now know.

Another point I remember made repeatedly by Evernote Evangelist BurgersNFries was that ALL of the security responsibility was ONLY on the user and that we should not be blaming Evernote for a lack of security.

Well it turns out that, like many of us, ArsTechnica puts the core security responsibility on the provider:

As online services try to convince us to trust them with more and more of our sensitive data, they have a responsibility to employ state-of-the-art software and techniques to harden their systems to hacking

Finally, I hope that what an Evernote Spokeswoman stated in the article concerning two-factor authentication is true:

"We were also planning on rolling out optional two-factor authentication to all of our users later this year and are accelerating those plans now."

There is already a thread about this from a few days ago.

Yeah, but that thread didn't start out by taking aim at BNF, who would probably dispute the characterization of her representation. I don't recall very many threads in the last few years discussing how Evernote encrypts our passwords on its servers, after all.

The point she made is still valid, I think: if you have something private then don't upload it to any cloud service unless you have encrypted it beforehand. And, I think she'd also point out that local notebooks would protect you from having sensitive data exposed no matter what happens with your password, so users have two tools (encryption + local notebooks) to protect themselves.

The rest of the points have been covered in other threads. I don't see much point in starting a new one for each article on the web about Evernote security, so I'll merge this with the other thread. 

• Like 2

Another point I remember made repeatedly by Evernote Evangelist BurgersNFries was that ALL of the security responsibility was ONLY on the user and that we should not be blaming Evernote for a lack of security.

Jmichael/jmunderwood/etc, if you expect your criticism of anything I said to be taken seriously, then don't generalize what I've said. As it is, your generalization is (as usual) incorrect & I defy you to point out anywhere I said "we should not be blaming Evernote for a lack of security".
  • Like 1

There is already a thread about this from a few days ago.

Yeah, but that thread didn't start out by taking aim at BNF, who would probably dispute the characterization of her representation. I don't recall very many threads in the last few years discussing how Evernote encrypts our passwords on its servers, after all.

The point she made is still valid, I think: if you have something private then don't upload it to any cloud service unless you have encrypted it beforehand. And, I think she'd also point out that local notebooks would protect you from having sensitive data exposed no matter what happens with your password, so users have two tools (encryption + local notebooks) to protect themselves.

The rest of the points have been covered in other threads. I don't see much point in starting a new one for each article on the web about Evernote security, so I'll merge this with the other thread. 

GM, I am very disappointed in you.  I didn't realize that you had turned so politically correct.  It is clear that you merged my new thread in with this one to bury it, to make it harder for new readers to find/see.  My thread was NOT about "password reset", which is the topic of this thread.

I did NOT start out by taking aim at BNF.  I am not going to waste my time to pull out all the quotes where BNF rudely put down other posters because they were asking for better security from Evernote.

Until now knowledge of the lack of proper Evernote security has been mostly limited to a few threads in this User Group.  Only a very small percentage of Evernote users ever visit these forums.

But now Evernote security issues are public knowledge, known to a lot of reviewers and security experts. 

Evernote has a choice.  They can either step up to the plate and turn this issue into an opportunity, or they can continue to deny what many of us have know for a long time. 

For the record, I am a long time premium account user and fan of the Evernote app/system.  If I didn't care about Evernote, I wouldn't waste my time posting.  I have neither the time nor the inclination to criticize Evernote just to make it look bad.  Just not my style.