Wrist pad for Penultimate

Ahmad Al-Qarni

I have experienced many apps on my iPad what provide amazing handwriting specifications, especially regarding the wrist pad that enables the user to comfortably position his hand on the iPad just like on a physical notebook. but I better like to use Penultimate because of it's simplicity and the real ink simulation as well as the synchronization with Evernote and of course my loyalty to Evernote

So what I really hope to see in the future update for Penultimate is only one thing: a wrist pad to give us a comfortable writing experience and enables us to draw even fine details for whatever sketch

Thanks Evernote / I love you

• 1 month later...

Ahmad, I came across this post while looking to see if others are as frustrated as I with the new Penultimate release.  I've been using Penultimate since 2011 and I can honestly say the quality has severely deteriorated since Evernote got a hold of it.  The wrist guard feature you describe used to be in the previous version and worked very well, but now appears to be absent in Evernote's newest iPad version.  It's great that they added text searching, but it seems to have come at the cost of usability.  For me, using this application now forces me to suspend my hand over the iPad to avoid touching the screen anywhere other than by the stylus.  This type of contortion can become uncomfortable, but if my wrist even comes close to the screen, it typically results in an extremely distracting page turn.

In addition, the tracking fidelity in this new version is awful, and there is now an annoying delay between the time it takes for me to write a stroke, and the time it appears on the screen.  The combination of these issues forces me to continually have to stop, erase, and rewrite.  As a result, I now find myself spending more time correcting what this app produces than in producing meaningful content.  What's most disappointing is that the previous version of the app never had any of these issues either.  My best guess is that after the acquisition, Penultimate's engineering department is now being run by Evernote's marketing chimps.

You might want to check out Wacom's "Bamboo Paper". No searchable text, but at least a note taking app that actually works very well for the purpose of note taking.  There's also another one out there called "Notes Plus" that I plan to take a look at shortly.  I'm hoping one of these will work as an interim solution for me while Evernote/Penultimate figures out how to get its act together.

Ahmad, I came across this post while looking to see if others are as frustrated as I with the new Penultimate release.  I've been using Penultimate since 2011 and I can honestly say the quality has severely deteriorated since Evernote got a hold of it.  The wrist guard feature you describe used to be in the previous version and worked very well, but now appears to be absent in Evernote's newest iPad version.  It's great that they added text searching, but it seems to have come at the cost of usability.  For me, using this application now forces me to suspend my hand over the iPad to avoid touching the screen anywhere other than by the stylus.  This type of contortion can become uncomfortable, but if my wrist even comes close to the screen, it typically results in an extremely distracting page turn.

In addition, the tracking fidelity in this new version is awful, and there is now an annoying delay between the time it takes for me to write a stroke, and the time it appears on the screen.  The combination of these issues forces me to continually have to stop, erase, and rewrite.  As a result, I now find myself spending more time correcting what this app produces than in producing meaningful content.  What's most disappointing is that the previous version of the app never had any of these issues either.  My best guess is that after the acquisition, Penultimate's engineering department is now being run by Evernote's marketing chimps.

You might want to check out Wacom's "Bamboo Paper". No searchable text, but at least a note taking app that actually works very well for the purpose of note taking.  There's also another one out there called "Notes Plus" that I plan to take a look at shortly.  I'm hoping one of these will work as an interim solution for me while Evernote/Penultimate figures out how to get its act together.

Thank you for your sharing you thoughts and your recommendations, as a matter of fact l found an other alternative for not taking called Noteshelf and I say this is the best note taking app ever but, no text search

Thank you

Huh. The "wrist pad" as you call it works fine for me. I can rest my hand on the screen with no problem. 

Methinks you must have a tiny hand with no capacitance...!  I have the same trouble with Penultimate as the previous poster - I touch the screen below where I'm writing and I either get a page turn or a mark or both.  And the blasted permanent, complete, two-way sync is still there - so I've abandoned Penultimate for now.

I'm using Notes Plus.  Amazingly powerful, and easy to use.  I used Notability for a while, but a student put me onto Notes Plus and I haven't looked back.

• 1 month later...

Huh. The "wrist pad" as you call it works fine for me. I can rest my hand on the screen with no problem. 

Methinks you must have a tiny hand with no capacitance...!  I have the same trouble with Penultimate as the previous poster - I touch the screen below where I'm writing and I either get a page turn or a mark or both.  And the blasted permanent, complete, two-way sync is still there - so I've abandoned Penultimate for now.

I'm using Notes Plus.  Amazingly powerful, and easy to use.  I used Notability for a while, but a student put me onto Notes Plus and I haven't looked back.

Agreed, I invested in Notes Plus since Penultimate was crippled by Evernote.  No subscription required to use what I once had backed up with Dropbox.  Notes Plus is fantastic!

• 8 months later...

I completely agree with the issue of wrist pad. I really want to integrate Evernote note taking with the rest of the excellent Evernote services but I am struggling. The wrist pad simply doesn't work and I have to keep erasing the dots and squiggles it produces. Why not simply have a guard that shades the lower page. It's available in other packages. Also the drift simply runs away its self as you write a. Word faster meaning you can't really dot your 'I's or cross your t's. One last thing. Could we have Box integration rather than drop box

Paul

Archived