(Archived) Orientation of Images - EXIF data not recognized

werdunn

Idea

I scanned a document as a Jpeg using an HP PhotoSmart C4580. In the HP editing software, I oriented the Jpeg in Landscape and saved the changes. The landscape orientation is visible on my iMacs (OSX 10.5.6) document viewer. I imported the Jpeg using the Mac Evernote Desktop Client, however, the image in oriented as a portrait. Is there a way to change the orientation within Evernote, or is there a work around up front to prevent this from reorienting? I'd prefer not to scan as a Jpeg in order to retain text recognition. Thanks!

• Level 5*

I don't see that the situation has changed from the topic you're referencing (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/25375-why-cant-any-version-of-evernote-display-exif-data-from-photos/), so I'm not sure what you're trying to get out of reopening it, except to toss in Evernote's face the prospect that a product (which you have admittedly not tried yet) might handle things the way that you want. So rather than speculating, why don't you try Keep first to see how it behaves, then report back? Meanwhile, Evernote's position seems clear, as evidenced by Heather's posts in this topic: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/23346-evernote-support/page-5#entry118786.

Thanks Jefito,

What's changed is that the earth has almost completed an orbit of the sun.

I'm here to see if anything has changed in Evernote with regard to basic picture display.   And if it hasn't, register my disappointment and perhaps draw the attention of a new group of users.   Isn't that a reasonable use of a user feedback forum?

I would also note the interesting way in which you reframe the issue.

[Do you rephrase about my desire to display mobile photo notes the right way up as a desire to make the app "behave the way you want" to imply that I have unreasonable or quirky demands?] <--- EDIT gibberish, sorry.

Doesn't every user want their photos to show the right way up?

Screenshot_2013-03-21-17-39-27.jpg

OK, first photonote test in Google Keep.

They managed to display photos the right way up on first release.   Most impressive!

Also, don't you think it is rather a clean and beautiful UI?   Hopefully they can add features as they usually do but they have made sure that the basic functionality of the notes is right, and syncing is already much better than EN.

• Level 5*

Do you rephrase about my desire to display mobile photo notes the right way up as a desire to make the app "behave the way you want" to imply that I have unreasonable or quirky demands?

You are sensitive, aren't you? It's plain English, nothing hidden. If I wanted to insult you, I would just do that.

Do you rephrase about my desire to display mobile photo notes the right way up as a desire to make the app "behave the way you want" to imply that I have unreasonable or quirky demands?

You are sensitive, aren't you? It's plain English, nothing hidden. If I wanted to insult you, I would just do that.

I don't for a moment suggest you are insulting me - you wouldn't do that.    Though on rereading I see that I posted gibberish, so you can't be blamed for reading it that way.

What I'm suggesting is that this reframing of what to me seems like an absolute no-brainer of a fault, a bug, into a matter of my personal taste is characteristic of the sort of response I got last time.  

It's not just "the way I want it to behave"!   It is what 99.9% of the world would consider as correct!   Show me one other mainstream app that does this.

Admit it!  It is a UI defect.

What do you think of Google keep?   Looks pretty nice, doesn't it?

• Level 5*

I don't care about it enough to dedicate enough brain cells to have an educated opinion either way.

What do you think of Google keep?   Looks pretty nice, doesn't it?

Ummm, it's not even close at this stage, from my look-in.

It does look nice, but do you trust it to still be there in 3 years? 5 years? 10 years?

I don't trust any company or service to be here in 10 years and certainly not Evernote.

I expect that the content, which is stored on Google Drive, will last a reasonable time given the strength of google and the importance of their investment in their cloud based services.   There is of course a reasonably high likelihood of the Keep service being killed or transformed.

I don't care about it enough to dedicate enough brain cells to have an educated opinion either way.

>>>What do you think of Google keep?   Looks pretty nice, doesn't it?

Ummm, it's not even close at this stage, from my look-in.

Devote brain cells?  Educated opinion?  On whether to display photos:

a.)  the right way up

b.) the wrong way up.

This is exactly the sort of evasion and defensiveness that must look hilarious to all normal lurkers and  I hope a few EN die-hards.   

Now, Google Keep is of course not close to EN in terms of complexity and feature set but I would guess it already does what 90% of the EN userbase needs from a note taking app and google search is pretty damn effective.   Obviously more sophisticated editing and handling of other file types is catered for in Drive too.

I found this article to be quite interesting. 

http://tech2.in.com/features/apps/face-off-evernote-vs-google-keep/840502

keep looks nice enough for what it is. But what it is isn't anything like Evernote. In my opinion, the only real similarity between the two is that, somewhere in the description of features, both mention "note taking".  I'd say that 90% of Evernote's users use Evernote because it does things like effective web clipping. keep is a note taking service. Evernote a storage and search service that happens to allow you to take notes. What keep will change into, whether Google will kill it off after a couple of years, all remains to be seen. If you want to compare Evernote to something, try Springboard. I hate it but lots of people seem to like it. 

However, you should chose the tool that best meets your needs.

Best of luck.

• Level 5*

a.)  the right way up

b.) the wrong way up.

This is exactly the sort of evasion and defensiveness that must look hilarious to all normal lurkers and  I hope a few EN die-hards.

This is exactly the sort of tone-deaf and ill-informed stance that makes developers -- the actual people who need to understand specifications and formats, and implement them in code -- roll their eyes in resigned annoyance. "Oh, it's so easy; just display them right-side up". But easy to say is not necessarily easy to do. I do remember taking a quick look at one or two of the linked articles, started getting the gist of it, but then thought "gee, do I really need to know this right now"? Answer was "Well, I don't have a smartphone that I take photos with, so no, it's not really important enough", so I left it. You're free to interpret that as "evasion and defensiveness", and snicker with the usual lurkers, but you'd be wrong there. As it is, Evernote made a technical decision as to how to treat the EXIF information, but I don't understand the issues well enough to make a value judgement on it -- didn't then, and won't now. Of course not being well-informed doesn't stop people from having opinions; it's just that actual knowledge and understanding give opinions that much more relevance.

But anyways, if you feel a need to school me, Evernote, and the rest of the forum on the ins and outs of EXIF spec, feel free -- that sort of information is useful and far more persuasive than any of the snide commentary so far. For example, I'm not a security expert by any stretch, but I learned a few things from some experienced folks here during the hack aftermath. That was welcome for me and good fodder for the forum, in my view.

Now, Google Keep is of course not close to EN in terms of complexity and feature set but I would guess it already does what 90% of the EN userbase needs from a note taking app and google search is pretty damn effective.   Obviously more sophisticated editing and handling of other file types is catered for in Drive too.

Fortunately, as Evernote users know, Evernote is not just a note-taking app, and Keep is not even in the same league as Evernote, at present. Sure, it's pretty, and quick. But how does it scale to 10's of thousands of notes? How do you organize them? How do you share and collaborate with others? Compared to GMail, which has real usefulness and a fair number of options for customization, Keep is surprisingly simple-minded. I like GMail and Google Search and Google Calendar too, I really do, but I frankly, I really expected more from Keep. It's easy and free, sure, but for folks interested in doing more than note-taking, where's the next level? I'm just not seeing it,not yet.

a.)  the right way up

b.) the wrong way up.

This is exactly the sort of tone-deaf and ill-informed stance that makes developers -- the actual people who need to understand specifications and formats, and implement them in code -- roll their eyes in resigned annoyance. "Oh, it's so easy; just display them right-side up". But easy to say is not necessarily easy to do. 

Misdirection.   Whether it is easy to do is irrelevant to the question of whether displaying photo notes incorrectly is an interface flaw.   It is a flaw, and moreover it is in fact easy to fix.   All mobiles use the orientation flag the same way.  No other popular app I'm aware of has this problem.  Every gallery app, every other photo note app, every photo editing app, contacts apps.  Handwaving about the "ins and outs" of  simple EXIF flag doesn't change that fact.

"But anyways, if you feel a need to school me, Evernote, and the rest of the forum on the ins and outs of EXIF spec, feel free -- that sort of information is useful and far more persuasive than any of the snide commentary so far. "

OK, it's very simple.   On any mobile, when taking a photo note, read the EXIF orientation flag and rotate the image display accordingly.   It is as far as I'm aware the same EXIF flag on every mobile device.    Image rotation by 90% is mathematically trivial and handled by just about every image displaying app on mobiles except Evernote.   You simply transpose columns of pixels to rows.   If I'm mistaken and there is some propriatary variation, then just find out what flags are used by the top five handset makers and implement them for a solid start.

Fortunately, as Evernote users know, Evernote is not just a note-taking app, and Keep is not even in the same league as Evernote, at present. Sure, it's pretty, and quick.

And it can do photo notes on a mobile, which Evernote can't yet.

But how does it scale to 10's of thousands of notes?

Probably similar to how GMail scales to 10000 odd emails that I can search effectively in fractions of a second.   If Google adds tags, together with the other features on Drive I think it will be at least as powerful as EN.

And it can show photos the right way up.

How do you organize them? How do you share and collaborate with others? Compared to GMail, which has real usefulness and a fair number of options for customization, Keep is surprisingly simple-minded. I like GMail and Google Search and Google Calendar too, I really do, but I frankly, I really expected more from Keep. It's easy and free, sure, but for folks interested in doing more than note-taking, where's the next level? I'm just not seeing it,not yet.

Keep already has integration with Drive, which is not simple and has mobile app support.  Sharing is already implemented and collaboration on more serious files is handled exceptionally well on Drive.  Also, it is the first release.    And its free.   And it is more secure, with optional 2 factor authentication and no history of recent large scale security breaches.

I am interested in photo note taking from mobile.   It is simply the most effective way for me and many others to store and organize the information on many bits of paper, screen displays, notices and physical layouts I deal with in and outside of work every day.      An app that purports to be the premium note taking platform (whether it offers other features or not) not only can't do this properly at the most basic level of note display, but apparently has a number of defenders that can't even acknowledge this inability to be a significant problem.

I really don't think I'm unusual in my use-case or unreasonable in my assessment.   And when I react with disbelief to the kind of responses that suggest that image orientation is just so incredibly complex, or that I have a niche complaint barely relevant to most users, it is not snide, it is really just honest jaw-dropping.

This doesn't in the least stop me wishing anyone who uses EN effectively the very best.   But it cannot be used effectively to take mobile photo notes at present.

Web clipping is pretty good, but I find I don't use it.

It is usually quicker for me to find the content again on the internet using Google or history or favorites than it is to find a clipping on Evernote.    You also get the most up to date version of the page, and I don't find content disappearing to be a significant problem.

Tags are pretty good.  That is one big gap in Keep, but I'm fairly confident they will implement them if the service survives.

It would be wonderful if universal tags were implemented across GMail, Drive, Maps, Calendar and Keep.

I read something, probably an Evernote blog post, about a year ago (and I'm sorry I don't have the citation) that said that web clipping accounts for some astronomically high percentage of people's use of Evernote. Apparently, it is most people's primary use for the service. It is certainly why I first started using it and why it continues to be such a huge part of my daily routine. I rarely use it for taking notes. Frankly, it doesn't excel at that. On my iOS devices, I uses Drafts and, on my computer, I've started using SimpleNote, either via the web or one of the clients I've downloaded both are fast, lightweight and great for writing quick notes. If keep ever comes up with an iOS version that has the kind of options Drafts does, I would definitely consider it for taking notes.

I read something, probably an Evernote blog post, about a year ago (and I'm sorry I don't have the citation) that said that web clipping accounts for some astronomically high percentage of people's use of Evernote. Apparently, it is most people's primary use for the service. It is certainly why I first started using it and why it continues to be such a huge part of my daily routine. I rarely use it for taking notes. Frankly, it doesn't excel at that. On my iOS devices, I uses Drafts and, on my computer, I've started using SimpleNote, either via the web or one of the clients I've downloaded both are fast, lightweight and great for writing quick notes. If keep ever comes up with an iOS version that has the kind of options Drafts does, I would definitely consider it for taking notes.

That would be great if EN sold itself as a web-clipping platform, rather than a tool to "capture everything".

May I ask, what exactly do you clip that you want to keep?  Can't you just google anything you want again in about 3 seconds?  Or do you need a lot of web content offline?

The fact that EN doesn't take care of the EXIF orientation is, in my very personal opinion, a deficiency at most, but it is not a bug. In fact there are several other services that do the same. If I take a photo with my Android phone in portrait mode and transfer it by USB to my laptop, it will show up in Windows picture viewer as landscape and I have to rotate it. The same applies if I send that picture by mail to my wife's mobile, although both devices run on Android (but different versions).

In any case this is not a big issue for me as I am never sending or uploading a full resolution picture to the cloud anyway, and therefore I always use some kind of image processing before uploading. In my case this is the app "Reduce photo size" - which also shows the image in the "real" orientation and not the one according to the auto-rotate EXIF flag. Reducing image size and rotating by 90° is a matter of seconds. After that the image is shown correctly everywhere, including EN.

It is interesting to see in how many very different ways people use EN. For me the main point is neither storing images, nor is it web clippings. I mainly use it to organize files of all kinds, mainly pdf, Excel and Word documents and also mails to a certain extent. The most important features in this context are tags, search, and the possibility to combine a file with short notes about the file. And EN provides by far the best package of features to me for that purpose. For everyone there are of course features that have to be added or improved with utmost urgency. Being a chemist, support of sub- and superscript is MY favourite. But somehow I feel others may have different preferences...

• Level 5*

re EXIF: Thank you for the information; I'll take it as given. You may be right, too, by the way -- I should have said that before.

re "Note taking app": Front page of the Evernote site, top dead center: "Remember Everything". (not Take Notes About Everything)

Subtitles:

"Capture anything : Save your ideas, things you like, things you hear, and things you see."
"Access Anywhere : Evernote works with nearly every computer, phone and mobile device out there."
"Find Things Fast : Search by keyword, tag or even printed and handwritten text inside images."

I don't see anything about note-taking there. Note-taking is just one way to get content into Evernote. It's useful for that, but not perfect as we all know. I use it pretty often. More often, though, I web clip articles that I want to save (sure, I can google search, but web sites disappear, and disk space is cheap, and I can organize my notes to make finding things even quicker). I bought a scanner recently -- another way to get content into Evernote. I take screen caps of the output of software I am developing, which I can then I can annotate using Skitch, as a reference for problems I notice. I capture emails from my co-workers, so that I can track issues.

Believe what you want about Evernote, but it is not primarily a note-taking app.

That would be great if EN sold itself as a web-clipping platform, rather than a tool to "capture everything".

May I ask, what exactly do you clip that you want to keep?  Can't you just google anything you want again in about 3 seconds?  Or do you need a lot of web content offline?

This seems to be incredibly naive & may explain why you're so fixated on the way photos are displayed. 

First, Evernote does indeed pretty much help/allow you to "capture everything".  I can't even figure out why you would dispute that.

Second, why would I want to Google things repeatedly?  And yes, I'm one who has discovered after a few years (sometimes less), websites/blogs are taken down.  So if it's something I want to refer to later, I will screen cap it or clip it.  That's a whole lot faster than writing the notes myself from the website.  A few weeks ago, I started getting an error 609 when VPN'ing to work (Windows).  I spent a couple of hours Googling on this error & finally got it fixed.  But along the way were downloads of programs to fix this.  Since I'm not going to blindly download something & run it on my computer, I check out the file first.  I keep track of this information so that if I have this problem again, I don't have to spend two more hours, redoing what I already did once. 

Like Penwriter, I also use EN to organize files.  I use it to keep code/scripts I use for work.  Rather than trying to remember the name of the file/script & perhaps looking through a few before finding the one I'm looking for, I can quickly find the right one in Evernote.  I occasionally share info from my Evernote to others on both a personal & professional level.  I normally put the info in Evernote & then share the note to them.  If you're more interested in photos & taking notes, Evernote may not be the app for you.

@Penwriter -  very valid points, however a portrait photo note taken by the evernote app invariably and immediately displays incorrectly within that very same app.    So it is definitely a bug.   The app handles its own output incorrectly.   It doesn't attempt superscript text and then show it as a subscript.   Two very different issues.

Workarounds with external apps double or treble the number of steps in a workflow and can expand the time taken by more than that.

Using landscape orientation exclusively is unsatisfactory for many subjects, such as A4 documents, and furthermore does nothing to solve the problem of display of some imported images.

Windows picture viewer destroying picture information by forcing users to destructively rotate images and not even then changing the EXIF flag so that they will be subsequently displayed correctly in more sophisticated photo software is a long-running open sore of the sort that probably only Microsoft is capable of maintaining.    I don't think it makes Evernote look any more reasonable, particularly since at least this crime is not a within-app affair.

@Jefito - If you don't think photo notes are core functionality or come under the remit of "capture anything" or capturing "things you see" then you have departed from common sense.   And whether it is core or not, it still sucks.   Playing sophist with the meaning of "note taking" is no more credible than hand waving about the complexity of image orientation.

Requests for this basic functionality have been ongoing for at least 4 years, as far as my cursory inspection can tell.

I haven't titled this thread appropriately (no idea why I used the similar title a year ago).

When this thread dies out, no doubt very soon, I'll check back in another year in order to satisfy my morbid fascination.

• Level 5*

@Andrew: Sorry, you'll need let the thread die out without me. It seems to be running around in word-circles, much like the prior thread. I'm not primarily here for this. Carry on, though.

This seems to be incredibly naive & may explain why you're so fixated on the way photos are displayed. 

First, Evernote does indeed pretty much help/allow you to "capture everything".  I can't even figure out why you would dispute that.

I haven't disputed that, I have pointed out that part of this functionality is not implemented correctly.

Second, why would I want to Google things repeatedly?

I do it because it is quicker than accessing an Evernote client and finding it with keystrokes and clicks in there. I guess I would clip something if it was really important and long-term but I usually find that web stuff I want to keep track of is either reliably accessible, or only of short term interest. The really brief stuff like reference numbers can be quickly snapped with a mobile, especially when work restrictions don't allow my usual browser/clipper setup. Just not usefully in Evernote. I see that this won't apply to everyone though.

Like Penwriter, I also use EN to organize files.  I use it to keep code/scripts I use for work.  Rather than trying to remember the name of the file/script & perhaps looking through a few before finding the one I'm looking for, I can quickly find the right one in Evernote.  I occasionally share info from my Evernote to others on both a personal & professional level.  I normally put the info in Evernote & then share the note to them.  If you're more interested in photos & taking notes, Evernote may not be the app for you.

It clearly isn't the app for me! And all I want is basic mobile photo note capture! If they just implemented photo orientation, which is accomplished by everyone else, then it might very well be the app for me, and more importantly hundreds or thousands of other potential paying users.

That's the whole point of the thread for me!

Seems like a huge waste of potential to just shrug shoulders.

It's not like this isn't eminently fixable.

It clearly isn't the app for me! And all I want is basic mobile photo note capture! If they just implemented photo orientation, which is accomplished by everyone else, then it might very well be the app for me, and more importantly hundreds or thousands of other potential paying users.

Sorry to burst your bubble.  But the board is littered with posts by other users with other feature requests who also seem to think their particular feature request is the one that will start rolling in the dollars for Evernote.  So although it's your opinion & you're of course, entitled to it, Evernote's opinion is apparently different. 

I'd say this thread has outlived its usefulness..  (Like about 20 posts ago.)

Sorry to burst your bubble.  But the board is littered with posts by other users with other feature requests who also seem to think their particular feature request is the one that will start rolling in the dollars for Evernote.  So although it's your opinion & you're of course, entitled to it, Evernote's opinion is apparently different. 

I'd say this thread has outlived its usefulness..  (Like about 20 posts ago.)

I find the tone of this forum rather defensive and unconstructive.

There have been repeated insinuations that I am being rude in some way, or in your post here, deluded about the importance of my opinions. Isn't this just one thread on a user forum?

I'm just focusing on an issue of EN's mobile app core functions. An issue that has had multiple users complain since at least 2009. It's not a feature request, it's a request that an existing feature, mobile photo note capture, works.

Do you think it is kind or helpful to imply I am in a "bubble" and then state the fact that Evernote clearly doesn't agree with my priorities, as if this hadn't occurred to me? I don't.

As to usefulness, I would have thought a better general response would be to agree that the app works rather suboptimally in this regard, update readers on any progress in the last year (none, apparently) and perhaps even join your voices with mine asking EN if this might be fixed.

Instead we have had:

1. The issue is unimportant because very few use photonotes on mobile and photonote capture does not fall under the claim of "capturing everything".

2. The issue is too difficult to fix even though it is program all competitors can manage it.

3. I have personal defects that invalidate your complaint - mental bubbles, fixation, touchiness, snideness etc

4. Even if this is a genuine issue for some users, Evernote doesn't care, and doesn't have to do what I want so I should stop posting.

Actually, that last point is probably all the information many users need.

So thanks for that. I'll be back to check in a year.

Sorry, I have to go on a bit..

@Penwriter -  very valid points, however a portrait photo note taken by the evernote app invariably and immediately displays incorrectly within that very same app.    So it is definitely a bug.   The app handles its own output incorrectly.   It doesn't attempt superscript text and then show it as a subscript.   Two very different issues.

I don't think I agree with that. If I take a picture with my digital camera in portrait mode, and afterwards I look at the picture on the camera's display, it is in landscape mode. Is it a bug? No, the camera is just not capable of recognizing portrait vs. landscape.

If I take a photo with the EN app it behaves exactly like my digital camera. This is because EN does not use my phone's available feature of recognizing portrait vs. landscape. Would it be nice if it did? Yes! Is it a bug? No, it is a missing feature. And therefore in no way different to the sub- / superscript case  ;) .

I don't mind you repeating your point that this is a very important feature for you. But I have to say that I don't share it. And as the capacity for development at EN is certainly limited, I wouldn't mind if other things are addressed earlier. The fact that implementing this feature may be relatively simple (who knows?) does not change my opinion - as a researcher in a commercial company I learned it the hard way that focusing on many small things can distract you from working on the more complex items. And usually these are the ones that make your product stand out against competition.

So I hope that EN is working on something we don't even imagine right now, and we don't miss it at all. But once it is there, we cannot imagine how we ever lived without it ...

@Penwriter - Almost all modern cameras produced in the last half decade, along with all smartphone camera/image gallery interfaces, handle orientation.

It is in fact easy to do, being a trivial software operation implemented by a huge number of existing apps with much smaller development resources than Evernote and it is simply shoddy to ignore it on a mobile image handling app.  

I simply find it incredible that people can seriously suggest this warrants going to the back of a five year queue for a company that has implemented OCR  of image text and found time to make an app specifically for taking a picture of your lunch.

So flipping an image display by 90 degrees is much more involved than performing optical character recognition, is it?

Comparing correct image display with text formatting only used in technical writing seems perverse to me, but we can agree to differ here.

I hope they sort out richer text formatting for you, but given they have been deaf to image orientation requests since 2008 don't hold your breath.

Archived