Ignorance was Bliss - Syncing Problems

I have Evernote on iphone, ipad and PC. Most of my notes are created and updated on my phone. I sync (or so I thought) and see 'sending changes'. I thought all was well. I have installed all updates as required.

A few days ago I found myself in real problems. Notes have not updated! I realised when I was searching for a new note on my ipad and it wasn't there. I've opened a ticket. This seems to be quite slow. I've tried airplane mode. I've manually saved changes. Nothing works. I've tried sending notes to myself but not sure which ones aren't synced. I really don't want to lose stuff. Any practical solutions? Thank you.

I have experienced the same problem multiple times in the past, and for this reason, I do not rely on Evernote for important notes. I use it for transferring text.

Today, I synced a new edit from the computer to EN for the purpose of passing the text to my phone. It did not show up on my Iphone even after force syncing six times both from the computer and the Iphone. The sync icons indicate a successful sync, but this is not the case. So, I tried a new edit from the Iphone. The resulting sync from the Iphone erased the edit done earlier from the computer. So, there is no problem with connecting from computer or Iphone to EN. But for some reason, EN incorrectly indicates a successful sync from the computer.

• Level 5*

I agree that Evernote has great potential. I keep coming back to it occasionally to see if syncing issues resolved.

I use Asana and Anylist for important notes and lists.

If you have a problem like this, the best thing you can do (supposing that you can't resolve it here in the forums) is to open a support request to give Evernote information that may help them to solve any bugs.
  • 1 month later...

I am having the same problem and now I'm very concerned.  I just added a tag as a way to group other tags.  My desktop version reported a successful sync.  I then went to my laptop, performed a sync and the tag was not there.  Went to the web version and the tag was not there.  I then opened my desktop version and re-did the sync, only to find out that the thousands of notes that had been tagged with that tag gradually reduced to a handful.  

The desktop continues to report successful syncs.  That tag shows it currently has 943 notes associated with it.  Yet when I go to my web version, it only shows 2 notes associated with that tag (which I had done manually).

At this point, I have little confidence that my desktop, laptop, ipad, and iphone versions contain the same information.

• Level 5*

At this point, I have little confidence that my desktop, laptop, ipad, and iphone versions contain the same information.

If you have a problem like this, the best thing you can do (supposing that you can't resolve it here in the forums) is to open a support request to give Evernote information that may help them to solve any bugs.
  • 1 month later...

I have the same sync issues from time to time. If I sync manually, it works fine. I think the issue is that EN syncs every 5 minutes at best. A lot of times, I take notes briefly and log out. 

EN: please invest in syncing every minute. I should not have to think about syncing issues. This is a terrible user experience for a syncing tool. 

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problem and now I'm very concerned.  I just added a tag as a way to group other tags.  My desktop version reported a successful sync.  I then went to my laptop, performed a sync and the tag was not there.  Went to the web version and the tag was not there.  I then opened my desktop version and re-did the sync, only to find out that the thousands of notes that had been tagged with that tag gradually reduced to a handful.  

The desktop continues to report successful syncs.  That tag shows it currently has 943 notes associated with it.  Yet when I go to my web version, it only shows 2 notes associated with that tag (which I had done manually).

I too am experience this issue.  Win 7, have reinstalled twice.  Has any progress been made with this issue? 

I had an issue where my notes on a local windows version of Evernote were in a different notebook than the online version.

The notes were still online on the web version, they were just in different notebooks due to a syncing bug.

This I resolved by

1)  Confirming all my notes were online and there were no local offline notebooks.  (,  It never hurts to first  make an ENEX export  backup just in case something goes wrong)

2)  Going to the windows directory where the database is (It's listed in Evernote  settings somewhere and there's  a link there to the folder, I think)

3)  Closing Evernote

4)  Going edit cut edit paste to remove the database files from the Evernote folder and put it somewhere else

5)  Opening Evernote and redownloading the database- Evernote will make a new database as it syncs your files.  

6)  After confirming that all notes have been redownloaded and Evernote is functioning properly, the backup you moved via cut and paste can be deleted

I finally solved my syncing problems and so far evernote is working great!  I am not sure if I can depend on it, so I am no singing the praises just yet. 

It was a while ago that it was resolved.  I think I logged in to the web version, and synced there.  That is when everything cleared up.

I finally solved my syncing problems and so far evernote is working great!  I am not sure if I can depend on it, so I am no singing the praises just yet. 

It was a while ago that it was resolved.  I think I logged in to the web version, and synced there.  That is when everything cleared up.

There is no sync'ing on the web version b/c the web version is directly changing what's on the EN servers. 

• 7 months later...

I was never able to get sync problems worked out between iPad, iPhone, and laptop, so switched to Remember the Milk at the suggestion of someone on this forum. I agree with whomever wrote below that if Evernote gets this figured out it will be brilliant. My experience was not brilliant.

• 4 months later...

Evernote really is garbage. you pay good money for it, and the sync keeps erasing all the notes you too so long to do. you can even undo once it syncs.

really garbage programme. some one should sue them for the amount of grief they cause. 

i load my notes up, and someone else syncs with the shared note, and i lose all the notes that i too so long to do. their notes superceed mine and there are no conflicts recorded. this has happened over and over. and not to mention the upgrades that keep ***** up the software. after upgrading, you cant log in or use it and have to reinstall, 

all the time you should have saved working / collaborating ends up being time wasted to try sort this mess. 

:angry:  :angry:

Evernote really is garbage. you pay good money for it, and the sync keeps erasing all the notes you too so long to do. you can even undo once it syncs.

really garbage programme. some one should sue them for the amount of grief they cause. 

i load my notes up, and someone else syncs with the shared note, and i lose all the notes that i too so long to do. their notes superceed mine and there are no conflicts recorded. this has happened over and over. and not to mention the upgrades that keep ***** up the software. after upgrading, you cant log in or use it and have to reinstall, 

all the time you should have saved working / collaborating ends up being time wasted to try sort this mess. 

Can't say I've had such chronic issues with conflicts with shared notes. 

Have you tried the latest beta versions for either Mac or Windows, there are some new mechanisms in place to help avoid conflicts with shared notes. 

Well I've never had those problems. I guess if you don't spend a small amount of time learning how to use an app, it could appear to be "garbage". But blaming the software (which about 100 million users seem to like) for user error is not helpful. And, BTW, you do not need to pay for Evernote. So if you paid for it without doing your due diligence, again, that's on you.

Good luck with whatever app better suits your needs.

Archived