Shortening URL for shared notebook?

stanwelks

Is there a way to shorten the address that is provided when you share a note/notebook? If someone is simply going to click on the link in an email, it works fine, though it would be nice if there was a way to shorten the URL so that someone could possibly remember it? Is there anyway to do this?

• Level 5*

There's no way to shorten the URL within Evernote.  You could use a URL shortening service like TonyURL.com - but that's a potential security weakness since someone else (ie the shortening web service) knows the 'real' address of your page although it's hidden behind some shorter code.  And some people are unhappy at clicking on shortened page links since they can't see where it will take them.

Or,  in the same way that you add URLs in this forum,  you could 'hide' the address behind some short ordinary text - although your user then has to click on the link in your email each time they visit;  you can't remember and use a short phrase.  Only the link in your email would work.

• 3 months later...

With Skitch you can already get the option to shorten the URL, I believe with note.io which redirects to bit.ly...

I would like to see the same functionality in Evernote as mentioned by the OP

I regularly shorten the URL, to have that taken away from me would be great. Yes I understand it may "weaken" the security to access that specific note but as a separate option, I would love it.

See here http://note.io/13EtDqD

• 1 year later...
Yes, Evernote should provide a URL shortener.

Recipients of a shared note from me, shortened with goo.gl, received a surprising error message, from Google. Basically, Google said it was a violation of one of its policies, for the URL shortener to have been used. Strange, These were meeting notes I made, containing nothing surprising and certainly nothing along the lines of protected content, trademarked or copyright, etc. It was mildly embarrassing, to me. And probably none of those recipients will be falling over themselves to give Evernote a try.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
33 minutes ago, RussH said:

Evernote: any update to this issue? Would be nice feature to have shortened URL automatically generated by Evernote when sharing.

Evernote don't typically comment on whether any given feature is being worked on,  or when it might appear.  If you need this one,  best use a work-around or find another note-taking client.

• 1 year later...

Archived