(Archived) copy & paste msg-file from outlook to EN

Desjan

Hi there

How can I in windows directly copy paste an outlook e-mail (the file, not its content) from outlook (inbox or sentbox) to EN (paste into an existing note).

I mean copying the msg-file from outlook and paste it as msg-file in an EN note.

If I do that (rightclick on the e-mail) and paste it in EN, then only the header (from: .. to : ... date sent : ... etc...) of the e-mail appears in EN.

If I rightclick on the e-mail and paste it first somewhere else (eg on my desktop) and then paste it into an EN note, it works fine (msg file is pasted into a note and if I click on it, the e-mail opens in outlook).

So, in short, is this a bug ? It's not that big a deal but it could be more efficient than what I do, no ?

thx.

Jan

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

The type of file Jan and I are looking for is a .msg file to be created in EN. That can only be done when the mail is first save to e.g. the desktop, and then draged into EN. When the message is directly dragged into EN (or copied using the EN plugin in outlook), only the message body and the to:, from: and subject: headers are are copied.

The reason I want a .msg file in EN is that for tax reasons the complete .msg file is required to be filed when the mail includes an invoice.

Best regards,

Marc

Hi Jan and Marc,

I have now checked and found out what a .msg file is. Not sure if it is necessary to actually have that as when you forward an email to Evernote it brings the complete information with it. But I am sure you have looked at this simpler option already.

OK, I saved an email from Outlook as a .msg file onto my desktop, clicked on it and dragged it into a new Note where it arrived as an attachment that needs clicking to be opened. I think that is what you want? No problem there.

The other and possibly simpler way to do this is to create/save your .msg file into a specific folder on your computer. Then in Evernote click on 'Tools', 'Import Folders'. Click on 'Add' and find the folder on the computer where you saved the emails. Decide if you want to include 'sub folders', then decide which Notebook you want it to go into, then decide if you want to 'Keep' the original saved .msg file or 'Delete' it. Every email you save in that folder will now appear as a new Note in that Notebook.

Again I think that is what you want?

So how do I do this by forwarding an email in Oultook?

Easy, and it keeps the name of the email as the name of the Note as well. I use 'Quick Step' in Outlook. Here is a quide I wrote a little while ago. Hope it helps:

If you are not into setting up a 'Quick Step' in Outlook, hopefully this will help:

I am going to assume you have a Notebook called 'Inbox'

Select Home

Quick Step is in the middle, click on down arrow right hand side of the box to reveal 'Create New'

Give a name to this action such as 'Evernote Inbox' (Remember you can have a number of these actions so you will need to give them relevant names)

Select down arrow to the right of 'Choose Action' and scroll down to 'Respond' and select 'Forward'

In the 'To' field paste your Evernote email address from location as described above.

Click 'Show Options'

After 'Subject: Fw:<subject> add the name of the Notebook you want your emails to be forwarded to. (As suggested at the start this will be your Notebook called 'Inbox')

So the field Subject will now have this in it: <subject>@Inbox

Next bit depends on what you want to do with your email in Outlook after it has been forwarded to Evernote. I will assume you want to send it to a folder in Outlook called 'Archive'

Select 'Add Action' (lower down on the left)

Then click on the down arrow to the right of 'Choose An Action'

Select 'Move to a folder'

Select 'Choose folder'

Select the 'Archive' folder which will need to have been created in Outlook before getting to this stage.

Click Finish

That is all there is to it.

Now just go to the location you have all of the emails you want to forward to Evernote. Highlight the email, click the new 'Quick Step' called 'Evernote Inbox'

If everything is fine just send the email, which will turn up soon after in your Notebook called 'Inbox' and your email will be moved to your Outlook 'Archive' folder.

Having done this once, you will realise just how easy it is and make various Quick Steps for specific emails.

As mentioned previously the only extra thing I do, currently manually after clicking on the 'Quick Step' is to add the date code at the start of the email title so today it would be:

130418 - 'email title'@Inbox

Best regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your answer. Never knew about the quick step thing in Outlook and installed one right away. Unfortunatly, although I choose "mail as attachment" as the action (and the mail is saved that way in my sent items folder in outlook), EN removes the .msg attachment and only displays the mail body of the .msg attachment in the note.

The items I'm missing in the standard way EN handles incoming mails is that not all headers are included. I'm missing the Received: headers and other headers that are required. Only the to:, from: and subject: headers aren't enough.

Best regards,

Marc

Hi Marc,

Note sure if our Outlook's are the same or perhaps they are set up a different way.

I am using Outlook 2010.

When I forward an email to Evernote it will arrive with the following data intact:

Sent: 01 May 2013 10:14
To: Chris Grew
Subject: RE: Quotation Request...Speed Sensors
Importance: High

When I save as a .msg file it has this data intact:

To: Chris Grew
CC: 
Subject: RE: Quotation Request...Speed Sensors

So technically not as much information?

As I say I think we may be set up differently. However what additional information do you need apart from that shown above?

Best regards

Chris

Hi Marc,

Forgive me for not giving you an even easier method of adding an email to Evernote as I don't use it myself!

Do you have the 'Add To Evernote 4' icon on your Outlook toolbar?

If so, select this and it will send the 'complete' email to the specified Notebook as a new Note as well.

If you are missing the icon then go into Outlook, Options, Add-ins, down the bottom select Manage COM Add-ins, 'Go' and then make sure 'Evernote' is selected.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm using Outlook 2010 also... And from your latests post I see that you get the same type of notes. But that are not the type of notes I want. I want the .msg as an attachment the same way an PDF is an attachment.

The Evernote button in Outlook is also active in my Outlook, but that is also only including the from:, to: and subject: headers from the mail. A lot of headers are missing, and therefor I need the complete .msg file in EN. It seems this problem can't be solved in such a way that it is done with one click or one forward. No problem. I look into it in a few months again. Maybe new tools are available or new settings in the EN button in Outlook are available.

Best regards,

Marc

Hi all

Just to clarify my initial question.

See attached picture. I drew a red circle around the file (this is an msg-file --> msg-file simply is an e-mail, be it a received or a sent e-mail) that I want to paste in an existing EN note.

What I do so far is copy (right click) and paste it to my desktop. From my desktop I again copy (right-click) and paste it into an EN note. And this works just fine. If  you now double click on the msg file in EN, it opens as the original e-mail.

My question is : why can't I just copy it from Outlook (so right click on the icon with the red circle on my attached picture) and paste it directly into an EN note.

It works fine but it's a two step operation instead of one step operation (call me lazy.. :-) )

rgds

Jan

post-93217-0-96920300-1367494438_thumb.j

Hi Jan,

I just tried again, but even with 2 mails attached and forwarded to my evernote e-mail address converts the mails to plain text and the e-mail attachments are removed by EN.

Best regards,

Marc

Hi Marc and Jan,

Right I think I understand how you want to save the email now, by virtue of you saying as an attachment like a pdf etc. Sorry if I could not get my head around it before.

There is a simple way of doing this with only one movement of the email!

Using a variation of the method I mentioned above you can do the following:

Create a new folder on your hard drive. Lets say you call this 'Emails to save'

Go to Evernote and create the Notebook you want the emails to go in. Lets say you call this 'Important Emails'

In Evernote click on Tools, Import Folders. 

Click Add

Find the new folder created above 'Emails to save'

Select the Notebook created above 'Important Emails'

Now all you need do is drag your emails into the folder 'Emails to save' and they will automatically appear in your 'Important Emails' Notebook in Evernote.

Again, I hope that makes sense and it seems the simplest method to get what you want.

Best regards

Chris

Thanks... The tip with the import folder did the trick. I created a macro in Outlook VBA that saves the e-mail to the folder as a .msg file and added that macro to the menubar. I have my one click save to .msg in Evernote.

For Jan: I used the macro that can be found here: http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=735. Using Alt-F11 you can add it to Outlook VBA. You'll need a reference to "Microsoft Scripting Runtime" for the macro to run without errors.

Best regards,

Marc

• Level 5*

We have struggled with this at work with SharePoint, so it is not just Evernote. At home, I have Outlook 2010 and Evernote 4.6.5.8275 (268783) Prerelease running on Windows 7 Professional (SP-1). I can drag the message to the desktop, where it becomes a msg file. I then drag it to the list view, where it creates a new note. Only problem is the msg attachment doesn't have the same timestamp info as the original message (although that is visible in the actual msg). Also, the created date/time is the time I moved the msg file from the desktop to EN - easily corrected, but another step. I guess if you could create a rule in Outlook to save every email to an auto-upload to EN directory, that would solve those problems. At least with dragging to the desktop a copy is retained in my Outlook, but with a rule you could request that the message gets deleted.

Alternatively, I would check out if there is something that IFTTT could handle. OTOH, with that you are delegating control to yet another web site, which might raise security concerns for you (it does for me!).

• 3 months later...

It's important to note that Evernote CANNOT search inside these Outloook .msg files. I just tried it on my setup and no go.

At work, I'm running the following:

Office 2010 (Outlook 2010)

Windows 7 Enterprise (SP1)

Evernote version 4.6.7.8409 (also I'm a premium user)

Archived