(Archived) Transferring private files

@Imrapp

I'll take a stab at it.  The concept is reasonable, but I haven't tried it.

- Install Evernote on the new laptop

- Sync, then turn off the sync

- Make a copy of the Evernote database from the old laptop, the location can be found by ~ Tools ~ Options ~ General tab

- Transfer the database to the new machine

- Replace the database from the "New" with the database from the "Old"

- Re-enable sync on the new laptop

If anyone has any corrections to my guess, please do so.

Regards,

Gary

• Level 5*

Hi. I am a little confused. If you mean"private" in the sense of notes you want to move off of a work computer and you already have Evernote installed on it (I assume that is how you took the notes in the first place), then make sure you have synced (I usually back stuff up as well), and uninstall. That's it. The sync transfers the files to the Evernote server, and you can access them from one or a million computers. There is no "transferring" involved.

If you are talking about notes in Evernote on the old desktop you have never synced, because they are in local notebooks, then I think copying your .exb file will work, though I hope someone who has actually done that in practice will comment on it. Exporting as .enex will also work.

If you are talking about notes outside of Evernote that you want to get into it, please provide us a little more detail about the software, etc.

The "old" machine was an HP workstation.  Yes, I did have Evernote on it with many synced files.  I have a notebook stack labeled "Financial" and all notebooks under it are local (not supposed to be transferred to the Evernote servers).  The "new" machine is a Samsung notebook with an external monitor.  Both machines run Windows 8 for an OS.  Nothing outside of Evernote.  (well there are some things, but they are handled by Dropbox) 

Both machines are working.  It sounds exporting will work although I would like to hear from someone who has actually done it.  If I don't get any other answers, I will individually export the notebooks to enex files.  Gary's method seems ok as well, but given the importance of these files (at least to me!), I would really like to hear from someone who has done this.  Given the amount of time that Evernote has been around, SOMEONE must have already done this!  (To have the problem, one must have had files that were local and replaced their machine)

I had hoped to get this done before I leave tomorrow afternoon, but I don't think that's going to happen.  Fortunately, I think I have my scanner (a Scansnap 1500) setup so I can scan the two week backlog of stuff, but part of the backlog is some local private financial stuff, so the exporting to enex is a better thing for me than swapping databases.  Thanks, both of you, for the help.

--

Larry

• Level 5*

The "old" machine was an HP workstation.  Yes, I did have Evernote on it with many synced files.  I have a notebook stack labeled "Financial" and all notebooks under it are local (not supposed to be transferred to the Evernote servers).  The "new" machine is a Samsung notebook with an external monitor.  Both machines run Windows 8 for an OS.  Nothing outside of Evernote.  (well there are some things, but they are handled by Dropbox) 

Both machines are working.  It sounds exporting will work although I would like to hear from someone who has actually done it.  If I don't get any other answers, I will individually export the notebooks to enex files.  Gary's method seems ok as well, but given the importance of these files (at least to me!), I would really like to hear from someone who has done this.  Given the amount of time that Evernote has been around, SOMEONE must have already done this!  (To have the problem, one must have had files that were local and replaced their machine)

I had hoped to get this done before I leave tomorrow afternoon, but I don't think that's going to happen.  Fortunately, I think I have my scanner (a Scansnap 1500) setup so I can scan the two week backlog of stuff, but part of the backlog is some local private financial stuff, so the exporting to enex is a better thing for me than swapping databases.  Thanks, both of you, for the help.

--

Larry

Well, you could test it :)

My guess is that if you make a local notebook on your new machine and then import the enex file into it, then that is all you have to do. It should be a very simple process: export > make local notebook > import.

Archived