Evernote or Outlook?

Evernote is not a Task Manager. However, you can tweak EN to work very well. Check the forums for various threads on the subject. I would suggest you read Daniel Golds e book on the subject as a start point. In addition check out The Secret Weapon mentioned in one of the threads on this forum. Their website has some great videos explaining both GTD and their approach. David Allen states in his book you need to have a trusted system to collect and process your "stuff". No better system than Evernote  :P

Hi Kevin, 

I use EN for GTD to. I found a Youtube video that helped me get started. I use a modified version of what is shown here. Here is the link:

I also used Outlook for GTD, and I found that because I am "cross platform" it was difficult to keep things up to date. and required me to cut past, and re-emailing myself to keep things current. It was not very "mind like water" at least for me.  

Evernote has solved that problem, for me, so I highly recommend using EN for GTD. 

Check out the video. It might give you some ideas. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

You need The Secret Weapon - www.thesecretweapon.org 

I started using it about 6 weeks ago and it has revolutionised my working and home life. It's a really simple way of applying the GTD principles to Evernote and it works an absolute treat. Best of all it's free!

• 5 months later...

I started using it about 6 weeks ago and it has revolutionised my working and home life. It's a really simple way of applying the GTD principles to Evernote and it works an absolute treat. Best of all it's free!

Thanks for sharing this link.   I watch several of the videos and I do like this simple/straight forward approach.   This leaves with the following questions:

1. This seems to focus solely on the Active Tasks.    It does not cover the "Reference" concept.     I sense that would be "in addition to" this process.
  2. It did not cover an e-mail that will take longer that 2 minutes to respond to.    I could add an Active Task "Respond to Joe on XYX" along with appropriate When tagging.    This would allow me to find the task, but how do I find the e-mail?
  3. I had previously disabled the Outlook plugin.     After seeing this, I did re-enable it.    However, I find it distracting that it brings the newly created note to the foreground and I have to close it.      The point of the "OK" is that it goes into Evernote for me to forget.     I should not have to close it.     This is even worse when I create multiple notes.
  4. This works well for a single e-mail address.     I welcome strategies for those of using many different addresses/e-mail clients.

Thanks for sharing this link.   I watch several of the videos and I do like this simple/straight forward approach.   This leaves with the following questions:

1. This seems to focus solely on the Active Tasks.    It does not cover the "Reference" concept.     I sense that would be "in addition to" this process.
  2. It did not cover an e-mail that will take longer that 2 minutes to respond to.    I could add an Active Task "Respond to Joe on XYX" along with appropriate When tagging.    This would allow me to find the task, but how do I find the e-mail?
  3. I had previously disabled the Outlook plugin.     After seeing this, I did re-enable it.    However, I find it distracting that it brings the newly created note to the foreground and I have to close it.      The point of the "OK" is that it goes into Evernote for me to forget.     I should not have to close it.     This is even worse when I create multiple notes.
  4. This works well for a single e-mail address.     I welcome strategies for those of using many different addresses/e-mail clients.

1. By reference I assume you mean things filed in EN which aren't tasks. I create sub-tags under a Reference tag. Anything which is for reference i put in the Cabinet notebook.

2. When I want to reply to a specific e-mail I do what you do and create a task then I drag the e-mail from Outlook onto my desktop, then drag and drop it from the desktop into the relevant note in EN. The e-mail will then appear as an attachment to the note, when you double click the attachment it will open it in Outlook and you can reply.

3. There is an option in EN to disable this, it drove me nuts until I found out how to disable it. Tools>Clipping Preferences> click off the all the bottom 3 tickboxes and Bob's your uncle.

4. I assume you mean you have a g-mail account, a hotmail account and you want to use them all. Not too sure how I would go about this. Gmail integrates with EN though not sure how as I only use my other accounts for personal and my Outlook for work. You could auto-forward your e-mails from other accounts straight to EN using your EN e-mail address. You can find that your EN email address in Tools>Account Info. It would mean you had a stack of stuff to go through and tag in your Action Pending notebook but it would be one way round it.

I have a folder on my desktop called EN e-mails. I drag and drop e-mails from Outlook into this file and it creates a note in EN with the e-mail as an attachment. This may be a quicker way to deal with 2. There is an post on the TSW forum about it http://www.thesecretweapon.org/forums/topic/save-outlook-emails-as-a-msg-attachment-and-reply-direct-from-evernote 

Hope this all helps.

If you have the time and the inclination have a look at IFTTT as a means of creating recurring tasks in EN/TSW. I use IFTTT for other things in EN/TSW, it's amazing and really easy to set up. 

Archived