(Archived) Cannot sign in to the app on Mac

Maka

Idea

I am not able to sign in on the web but not to the application after the upgrade. Help me, please. I enter the login info, it drops down, I open the application and nothing. Like i havent entered any password. No error message whatsoever

43 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I meant log into your Evernote account from your new mac profile. I didn't realise that you are Premium....hmmm, I wonder if support would transfer your premium over to a new account? How much data do you have?

• Level 5*

I'm not sure that's a problem, just shows how useful you find the service

Another suggestion....how about setting up a new Evernote account and then sharing all your notebooks from your Premium account back to your new one? You can do the sharing from the web account so no messing about with mac profiles.

You could contact support and ask them to move your Premium over to the new account and to give you some extra upload as you move the notes over to the new account.

It's a problem when I cannot access any of my data while I'm away from home (as has happend lately with both OSX and iOS versions broken)... :)

I appreciate you're trying to help, but after the support team closed my incident report regarding this issue and that they have ignored anything I've posted in this form, I don't really have a lot of faith left in Evernote's support. Combine this with the aforementioned failure to release stable OSX/iOS versions of their main product and I really don't think Evernote is somewhere I want to trust with my 'mission critical' data any longer.

I just want to fix it so that I can get my recipes back, I want my kitchen notes (and I'm kinda stubborn about fixing broken things).

• Level 5*

Don't worry, I have very thick skin.

I'm not sure whether they are ignoring it or not, but it does seem to be something that affects a very tiny proportion of users and is difficult to reproduce. 

Try what I said.

• Level 5*

Bit of sideways thinking to get you round this a bit more quickly - how about exporting all your notes on your 'pretend profile'. Then creating a new Evernote account in your real profile and importing the notes back in.

It's obviously not a fix but at least it may get you back up and running again.

I (as thoroughly as I know how), removed all traces of Evernote, hidden files, keychain entry, folder permissions etc. but *something* must remain bound to my account as changing the profile on OSX allows me to login and using a different account on my real profile logs in.

Something in the system remains and is preventing me to log in.

I had the same problem on OSX 10.6.8 (10K549), after upgrading to Evernote 5.0.6. Uninstalling and reinstalling, repeatedly, failed to correct the problem. After removing Evernote with CleanApp, I resorted to using Time Machine to restore Evernote version 5.0.4. I was then able to successfully log in and reload my data. 

Danielle, as an alternative, you could try the web interface until Evernote can get this bug identified and corrected. 

Cheers for the updates guys, success.

Tried AppCleaner, no difference.

Rolled back the oldest version I had on Time Machine, no difference (though it had 'forgotten' my stored login details).

Use AppCleaner to remove the version Time Machine had installed and installed the latest version from the Evernote site; it works!

So Evernote is now working, though I don't think the underlying issue is *fixed* as such, more a case of hitting it with a hammer until it stopped breathing x

Hi Danielle,

Thanks for pointing me to this thread from the other thread that I was posting on.  This thread directly addresses the problem that I am having.  Unfortunately, I don't have an application called AppCleaner on my MacBook Air (mid 2011) OS 10.8.5.  I next tried to find the AppCleaner in the app store but got this reply, "Did you mean Ccleaner?  Your search had no results.  Try searhing again."

I realize you are not support staff for Evernote, but my support ticket with Evernote has reulsted in silly questions like "did you try logging in with your email", when my notes CLEARLY detail all the MANY steps that I have exhaused over the past few days trying to resolve this problem.  It is amusing to me that this serious issue is not addressed with the development staff.

So please hold my hand a bit longer and let me know where I can find/download/purchase this AppCleaner program so that I can reclaim my valuable notes for school.  Finals are in three weeks and I've got serious studying to do.

Thanks!

Update:  I found AppCleaner using a google search, downloaded it and deleted the Evernote application.  Like Danielle suggested, I then downloaded Evernote from the website (not from the App Store) and installed a clean version (5.0.7 (400993)).

I still have the very same issue.  I log in and Evernote does not populate with my notes.  When I click on Account Info.... it prompts me to log in again.  Nothing seems to be working.  I am very frustrated and like Danielle cannot take the time to reinstall my entire OS.  Such a solution seems drastic and entirely unnecessary.  Logging in under a different profile isn't a "real" solution either. 

I hate to think this is the "best" solution Evernote can come up with.

I activated 2-factor authentication yesterday from my work computer (a PC). When I returned home and started Evernote on my MacBook Pro, I was met with the same challenge as others in this thread: Evernote for Mac would not accept my password.

Using AppCleaner to remove Evernote thoroughly, then downloading the app via Evernote.com and re-installing worked for me, though not without hitched. The initial sync hung with 14.1MB remaining. After a Force Quit and re-launch, Evernote finished the job and everything seems to be all right.

It seems there are a number of is having the same problem; reported the issue to support and after exchanging emails, trying every imaginable way to reinstall Evernote and sending them lots of logs I was told it was a bug, there is no fix and the ticket was closed.

I *should* vote with my feet and ditch Evernote, but it's just too useful. I wonder if I can use the Windows version on an emulator.

• Level 5*

Hi,

I'm not sure if you're asking me, I don't wish to hijack someone else's thread. But in case you are:

My Mac is running OSX, the latest version.

I've tried numerous versions of Evernote from the App Store version, several beta versions and the 'homebrew' version. 

Cheers,

Danielle

Hi Danielle. I think what happened with customer support is that they closed out the ticket when they did not hear back from you. Could you post your ticket number here so that the staff can look into the problem, and hopefully get a better picture of the problem?

So, I know you have tried everything, but would you be willing to try something more? If you closely follow these instructions (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/16062-uninstalling-everrnote-for-mac-os-x/#entry173494), I believe it will solve your problem. The key here is not to skip steps, but to completely remove the app, and start with a clean slate.

Hi,

The ticket number is 16051-224466. As you say, it was closed as there had been no discussion, though other than me badgering support for updates I don't know what was expected (I was told it's a bug and there is no current fix). I had hoped, perhaps foolishly, that the next thing I would have heard is that there was now a fix, not 'Ah well, it's broke, we can't fix it, so bye'.

I've tried the steps you linked, in actually far more depth than the simple 'drag it to the trash  approach at the link you posted. I've actually removed every trace of it, every folder, process, permission etc. everything. I've replied to another thread about this issue elsewhere which lists the lengths I've gone to tro try to solve this.

Ta lots x
  • Level 5*
Hi,

The ticket number is 16051-224466. As you say, it was closed as there had been no discussion, though other than me badgering support for updates I don't know what was expected (I was told it's a bug and there is no current fix). I had hoped, perhaps foolishly, that the next thing I would have heard is that there was now a fix, not 'Ah well, it's broke, we can't fix it, so bye'.

I've tried the steps you linked, in actually far more depth than the simple 'drag it to the trash  approach at the link you posted. I've actually removed every trace of it, every folder, process, permission etc. everything. I've replied to another thread about this issue elsewhere which lists the lengths I've gone to tro try to solve this.

Ta lots x

Hi. I see that you have tried a lot more than I suggested (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/32532-evernote-wont-open-on-my-macbook-pro/?p=189597). Well, there is only one thing left -- have you erased your hard drive, reinstalled the OS, and given Evernote a try then?

LOL. Yeah, I know it is extreme, but (in my case) it only takes a couple of hours. The problem is that there could be some other program, or some other thing interfering, and it seems possible that the Evernote folks will not be able to track it down. Cleaning out everything and starting fresh (download Evernote first, and work your way out from there) seems like the best way of reducing the variables.

But, maybe you are too busy for that :)

If so, I have had great success with Parallels + Windows + Evernote for Windows. Here is a screenshot of what something like that would look like compared to the Mac interface (https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/e0533319-72d3-443d-a506-299cdc4b791e/69092ec3e95fad10495698bf3329fdbd). Still, the Mac app is coming along nicely now, and it would be a shame not to be able to enjoy it!

I won't be reinstalling the OS; it may sound picky, but I have not reinstalled an entire OS to fix a bug since Windows 3.11; if it can't be fixed the 'right way' then I would rather find another solution. Further, the MacBook is my working environment which is highly configured. It is thoroughly backed up, but rebuilding it from scratch is *way* to much productivity time lost solving someone else's support incident.

Fingers crossed there is a fix soon.

• Level 5*

I won't be reinstalling the OS; it may sound picky, but I have not reinstalled an entire OS to fix a bug since Windows 3.11; if it can't be fixed the 'right way' then I would rather find another solution. Further, the MacBook is my working environment which is highly configured. It is thoroughly backed up, but rebuilding it from scratch is *way* to much productivity time lost solving someone else's support incident.

Fingers crossed there is a fix soon.

Sounds fair to me. Hopefully, the engineers will be able to work with the data you supplied to track down the problem. In the meantime, give a look at Parallels as a possible solution so that you can use Evernote on your Mac.

I have the same problem. All my discussions with support were not helpful. Complete reinstall of evernote did not work. 

My login works on the web and all other clients.

I am using a macbook air with Mac OS 10.8.2. Evernote is the latest build Version 5.0.6 Beta 2 (400928). 

I actually haven't installed anything new an my mac. Only thing i have changed recently, but actually changed back was to enter a DNS at my USB-Ethernet-Connection to connect locally to another mac in the network. But as i said, i deleted this DNS-Server again.

Would be thankful for help. An i won't reinstall my mac completely from scratch either.

Little update (I really hope some devs are taking notes of this thread).

Deleting Keychain entries didn't help, so tried some sideways thinking and created a new profile.

It works, logged in, no problems.

Switching back to my 'real' profile though still does not work (I tried username and email adress).

Something somewhere is stopping just one account log in on just one profile...

Sadly I've had to almost entirely abandon Evernote and am in the market for a reliable alternative.

Both the Mac and now iOS versions either no longer work or are too unstable to use; very sad and frustrating as I used to rely on Evernote constantly through my day.

The only platforms where it still works are through a browser or on my Windows PC; I've even had to go back to carrying my pocket voice recorder around as it no longer works on my iPhone :(

Edit: Just out of curiosity I (this minute) installed the latest version, 5.0.6 Beta 2. Still broken and refuses won't login.

• Level 5*

It's just a test to figure out whether the issue is related to your profile. Won't resolve your problem immediately but it may help Evernote narrow own the bug. It should only take you a couple of minutes.

You can delete the profile afterwards to keep things tidy.

Tried creating a new profile and it works, first time, no issues. 

This leads me to believe that re-installing the OS would work, though in my case this a far too time consuming option.

Also it indicates that *something* is being left behind when un-installing Evernote, even though I've been as thorough as I can in tracking down hidden files etc.

• Level 5*

Tried creating a new profile and it works, first time, no issues. 

This leads me to believe that re-installing the OS would work, though in my case this a far too time consuming option.

Also it indicates that *something* is being left behind when un-installing Evernote, even though I've been as thorough as I can in tracking down hidden files etc.

If you follow the instructions I linked to (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/16062-uninstalling-everrnote-for-mac-os-x/#entry173494), it ought to remove everything and give you a fresh install. For me, the whole process only takes a few minutes, because my account is relatively small (under 100MB). However, for larger accounts, the initial sync can be quite time consuming, so it might be something to do before going to bed :)

I followed that guide a while back, it was one of the first things I tried and even went deeper than that, removing the various hidden folders and undoing the permissions settings; no joy though. 

There has to be *something* lingering in the system though, even after a thorough removal. Why else would a new profile or OS reinstall work?

• Level 5*

I followed that guide a while back, it was one of the first things I tried and even went deeper than that, removing the various hidden folders and undoing the permissions settings; no joy though.

There has to be *something* lingering in the system though, even after a thorough removal. Why else would a new profile or OS reinstall work?

Keychain?

Archived