(Archived) Evernote Limit Upload/Download Speed

kuroir

Idea

13 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I don't understand this. Evernote uses its bandwidth when you sync, and for that process, it only syncs notes that have changed. It uses the web to do so, like other web applications, for example your browser. Does your browser let you change how much bandwidth it will use (mine doesn't). If you don't want Evernote to use a lot of bandwidth, then don't keep large notes and modify them a lot.

I don't understand this. Evernote uses its bandwidth when you sync, and for that process, it only syncs notes that have changed. It uses the web to do so, like other web applications, for example your browser. Does your browser let you change how much bandwidth it will use (mine doesn't). If you don't want Evernote to use a lot of bandwidth, then don't keep large notes and modify them a lot.

I understand that, and that's valid. But you're looking a this with a berry narrow minded mentality. Some people use Evernote to store things like Photos from trip, PDF documents, and other stuff. Not just to stuff "small text notes".

In my case, I do this every day. I get big files and I want to store them on my Evernote Account. So that uses up all my upload bandwidth, which kill my download speeds for all my network.

Hi. If you are on a phone (please provide more details), then Evernote only downloads headers, and will not even download the text in the note, much less the attachments, unless you direct it to do so.

Hey! This applies to every desktop client. 

• Level 5*

I am not sure I understand what you are saying. The desktop clients operate differently, because they download everything in your account, not just the headers.

I am confused, to be honest. How do you plan to store a photo in Evernote without using the Internet (your bandwidth) to put it on the server? A local notebook would be the obvious solution, but I don't think that is what you are getting at.

Could you explain the problem to us a different way?

I am not sure I understand what you are saying. The desktop clients operate differently, because they download everything in your account, not just the headers.

I am confused, to be honest. How do you plan to store a photo in Evernote without using the Internet (your bandwidth) to put it on the server? A local notebook would be the obvious solution, but I don't think that is what you are getting at.

Evernote Limit Upload/Download Speed

That's the title, basically what I'm asking is providing some sort of setting that allows you to limit the upload speed, to lets say 50kb/s rather than the max available one. That way it'll just upload slower, rather than using all the available bandwidth.

An example of this would be Dropbox Settings.

http://note.io/X5rYqd

• Level 5*

Evernote Limit Upload/Download Speed

That's the title, basically what I'm asking is providing some sort of setting that allows you to limit the upload speed, to lets say 50kb/s rather than the max available one. That way it'll just upload slower, rather than using all the available bandwidth.

An example of this would be Dropbox Settings.

http://note.io/X5rYqd

OK. I think I see now. You have very little bandwidth, and it is not the total upload amount (1 or 100mb) that is the problem, but the fact that Evernote uses up all of your bandwidth to accomplish its syncing and leaves you with none for other activities like searching the net. 

I think the word you're looking for is "throttle." You want to throttle the upload speed. That would be less confusing to others.
  • Level 5*

I think the word you're looking for is "throttle." You want to throttle the upload speed. That would be less confusing to others.

Thanks! That is the word I was looking for with this. 

http://mschrag.github.com/ might be an option.

Yeah, I know you can do that with an external app. But I honestly believe that Evernote should include it by default. Evernote allows 100mb notes, also you guys market it as a way to store all kind of knowledge, from photos, text, pdf's and more. Not allowing you to limit what amount of the bandwidth it uses is wrong.

I want to just dump Dropbox monthly fee and use Evernote 100%

• Level 5*

I would imagine that for the vast majority of Evernote users in the US, Japan and Western Europe network speed is now pretty irrelevant. I think it's highly unlikely that Evernote will develop a solution for the relatively small number of users that would find this helpful.

I would imagine that for the vast majority of Evernote users in the US, Japan and Western Europe network speed is now pretty irrelevant. I think it's highly unlikely that Evernote will develop a solution for the relatively small number of users that would find this helpful.

Yeah, well. I'm not so sure about that. I live in Mexico and I have pretty good connection, the issue is that most of the ISP provide Asymmetric Data Transfers. So Download is not a problem (20mb), but Upload it's highly limited (about 2mb).

Guest mrossk

I know it is long time ago but I want to give a hint for people having the same problem:

I have made the experience that some cheap routers slow down downloads very much when big uploads are running. A while ago it was impossible to me to make backups to the internet because this nearly blocks the viewing of all websites. Modern routers have mechanisms to solve this well known problem (some call this "traffic shaping"). Since installing such a router I was suddenly able to view webpages in full speed even while the backup was running in the background.

You can also use software like Netbalancer, but this is only a temporary workaround.

Nevertheless I would also like to see throttling in Evernote (like in many other online storing/syncing apps) because there are cases where this makes sense. Especially in company-environments where you have no influence on the network-structure. The databases of Evernote are getting bigger and bigger and so an initial sync from evernote to your computer could slow down the downloads of the other employees too much.

Archived