Basecamp to Evernote

paulelias

Idea

I have been using Basecamp from 37Signals for the past 4 years for all my business project management. I am based in the UK with a team of people in China who need to access and update information. In addition we share information with suppliers and customers.

When I first came across Evernote I tested the free version at a personal level and saw the potential. Then upgraded to Premium for additional upload capacity. As soon as Business became available I quickly came on board. Having integrated Business into the company, and having benefited from the improvements contained within each update, I have now closed down Basecamp and migrated 100%.

There are still bugs to be sorted and enhancements to be made but I believe EN has the potential to provide each and every user with a platform to better organise their personal life, and share and control business projects like never before.

It was a great idea to encompass both personal and business sections within EN business.

I have provided a lot of detailed feedback via the chat support facility, and once ticketed via email but I do wish EN chat was available within the Euro timezone and not just Pacific Time. EN wants to develop customers outside the USA so you have to provide support for this community to match their working time.

Paul

8 replies to this idea

Hi Paul,

Interestingly I am about to test Basecamp and Podio for task management. Project Templates are important to our org. we do about 50 projects yearly with about 250 tasks each.

I never thought of EN for project task management since i don't see a way to schedule task by a due dates. (well maybe I can create it in excel, then copy & Paste it ..)

If you can share how you will be able to do that i may give it a try.

Basecamp has templates with the ability to automatically set due dates from the projects start date.  however, we also need a auto due date that works backward from the project completion date and So far basecamp has failed to have that feature.

Thanks for your thoughts

Joseph

Hi Joseph

I think our business needs are quite different. Whilst we need to track data in a logical, historical way, we dont need to use due dates, and we dont need to track time whilst a project in live.

That said, the ability to set tasks and apply timelines would be an advantage. We manufacture products in China and ensuring each part of the process is completed in good time would be useful. At the moment we use excel with a critical path. We store this in a note, open it within EN, then save within EN. Quite simple but it is effective as the new data is immediately available to everyone within the business after sync.

I find the EN Windows application a distinct advantage over Basecamp. Additionally EN is constantly evolving whereas Basecamp improvements are few and far between.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Interestingly I am about to test Basecamp and Podio for task management. Project Templates are important to our org. we do about 50 projects yearly with about 250 tasks each.

I never thought of EN for project task management since i don't see a way to schedule task by a due dates. (well maybe I can create it in excel, then copy & Paste it ..)

If you can share how you will be able to do that i may give it a try.

Basecamp has templates with the ability to automatically set due dates from the projects start date.  however, we also need a auto due date that works backward from the project completion date and So far basecamp has failed to have that feature.

Thanks for your thoughts

Joseph

Joseph,

As you consider Basecamp, you may want to compare it to TeamworksPM.  Teamworks is very similar, but has some additional features that we found lacking in Basecamp.

Thanks for the info Joseph. I intend to push EN as hard as possible to see if they enhance EN Business the way their users need it to be enhanced. I am prepared to work with it for 12 months and offer suggestions because I can see the potential.

For managing various tasks and projects ProofHub (www.proofhub.com) is also a very good web based project management software. In it one can add both clients and team members. One can create to-do list and assign tasks to the team members. Also one can create milestones for each task to monitor the progress of the project. Besides, there is a file section where you can upload any type of file from your PC, google drive and dropbox. One can even attach files along with your message in discussions which will go into the file section. There are other features like proofing tool, casper mode, inbuilt chat, etc. It will help in collaborating and communicating with both client and team members in successfully completing the project.

Archived