(Archived) Horizontal vs Vertical List Views

Jackolicious

Idea

• Level 5

There are many advocates of the vertical list view on this forum (you know who you are). However, we rarely hear from the horizontal list view advocates. I'd like to gather opinions from both sides on the issue.

Mockups: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/sh/1facc864-a1b9-4943-9336-a38ebbc0a34d/69057856bd9d9f872abda21b97de868a

Do you use the list view on Mac or Windows as your primary view? If so, why and do you like the horizontal view?

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT an indication of forthcoming functionality. I made these mockups (not a designer) to satisfy my own curiosity.

18 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Mac user here. List view is what I use 95% of time, and strongly prefer the horizontal list view, because it allows me to see more information. (My biggest use of Evernote is for a GTD system, based on "The Secret Weapon" videos.)

Today I did a routine update (a bug fix for something that didn't affect me) to v5.1.2 and my horizontal list view is gone; all I see is a vertical list view and can't see how to switch back to horizontal. PLEASE don't tell me that I can't get it back.

Can anyone tell me how to switch between vertical and horizontal list views?

Thanks in advance.

Further discussion here: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/38283-view-missing-in-511/

So EV ditched horizontal view entirely after 16 replies?  

How about looking at the #1 mac forum by replies (with a few HUNDRED) about bringing back the horizontal view.

Why does it have to be either/or? Why not both?

Mac user here.

The view I like the most is the Horizontal List View. I use Evernote as my primary GTD system, so in my setup it is very important to have a clear overview of my notes, inclusive the title, the name of the notebook and the tags that are attached to my notes. In the horizontal list view I can display all these columns, in the vertical list I can't.

I don't know if this will help, but all of the sort options are available with the vertical list view as well (http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=106).

Unfortunately, it's still vertical, not horizontal so have to to compromise more on the note size while it should be the focus.

• Level 5*

Mac user here.

The view I like the most is the Horizontal List View. I use Evernote as my primary GTD system, so in my setup it is very important to have a clear overview of my notes, inclusive the title, the name of the notebook and the tags that are attached to my notes. In the horizontal list view I can display all these columns, in the vertical list I can't.

I don't know if this will help, but all of the sort options are available with the vertical list view as well (http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=106).

I have to say that I hate the new list view in Evernote (Mac, App Store update channel). I much prefer the horizontal one compare to the vertical view.

This way, I have to compromise on the note size in order to see valuable information in the note list.

I hope the next version will reintroduce at least an option for horizontal list.

---

Reminders are nice but not a necessity. I use another software to remind me whatever needed.

As far as I am concerned, I would rather see improvements on text format (useful tables with basic functions and macros, multiple selection of text to apply format...) than reminders.

I am not a programmer (but I'm thinking about it) but it should not be that hard to implement ? Even this forum editor is better...

Mac user here.

I use both Windows and Mac versions of Evernote.  PLEASE keep the horizontal list view.  It allows the full width that I need.  More importantly, please maintain the ability to customize columns so we can see which notebook each note belongs to.  This is essential for rapid sorting, e.g. of uncategorized documents, by being able to select them and move them in bulk.  A real time saver.

I would never use Reminders.  So don't force us -- give us options to set up Evernote the way we like.

We have previously lost features without consent in Evernote for Mac.  Please don't try to outwit your customers.  

• Level 5*

As of right now, there's no "horizontal" to vs.   It's gone like... Dust in the Wind.

Sorry -- referencing Kansas isn't gonna sway the judges... :)

Mac user here. List view is what I use 95% of time, and strongly prefer the horizontal list view, because it allows me to see more information. (My biggest use of Evernote is for a GTD system, based on "The Secret Weapon" videos.)

Today I did a routine update (a bug fix for something that didn't affect me) to v5.1.2 and my horizontal list view is gone; all I see is a vertical list view and can't see how to switch back to horizontal. PLEASE don't tell me that I can't get it back.

Can anyone tell me how to switch between vertical and horizontal list views?

Thanks in advance.

Horizontal list view provides the opportunity for more selectable and sortable columns.

Vertical list view provides more room for the selected note.

I can see a use for both.

The mockup does indicate selectable columns for the vertical view, only , perhaps, not as many.

For myself, I prefer the vertical view so long as i can select and view creation/modified dates.

The ability to modify these dates is an important desktop feature and i like to be able to see them in list view.

I would prefer the vertical list view because then both the list, as well as the selected note, run all the way from the top of the screen to the bottom. Therefore you can 1) see more notes in the list, and 2) see more content of the selected note. Computer screens are almost letterbox format nowadays, so unless your notes have very long titles I don't see the benefit of having a short list run all the way across horizontally, cutting off most of the selected note, instead of having a longer list run vertically.

My primary view is the snippet view, though. Firstly for the above reason and secondly because I like to see a few lines of body text (but only a few lines, i.e. NOT card view) in addition to the note title. I never use the card view or horizontal list view.

I can see why a "vertical" list view could be useful in some of my own use cases. But it is not a big deal. Especially since switching between views is currently a pain (I've adressed this in a previous post).

When I use list view it is almost exclusively to be able to manage merging notes properly, which also could be quite simpler in the Mac client (unless the order of the notes are irrelevant.)

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT an indication of forthcoming functionality. I made these mockups (not a designer) to satisfy my own curiosity.

Sorry that I'm a vertical list view user responding to this but I REALLY like your mock ups for the vertical view. I think you could send those to the design team and implement them as an optional view on Mac and make a lot of people happy. I use both Windows and Mac versions of Evernote on a daily basis but find that I prefer the Windows version because of the list view options. (I do, however, really like the Shortcuts on the Mac client especially now that they have the ability to be synced among computers.)

• Level 5*

There are many advocates of the vertical list view on this forum (you know who you are). However, we rarely hear from the horizontal list view advocates. I'd like to gather opinions from both sides on the issue.

Mockups: https://www.evernote...abda21b97de868a

Do you use the list view on Mac or Windows as your primary view? If so, why and do you like the horizontal view?

I am agnostic about this one (seriously!), because I don't think it is an either / or kind of thing, and ideally we ought to have a choice. We have different use cases, available screen space, changing objectives at each stage in our workflows, etc.

As has already been mentioned, besides turning on a firehose of information, list view affords us the opportunity to easily toggle the sorts and sort orders. In this respect, the difference between using the Snippet and List views is like night and day, because changing sorts with Snippet is quite laborious. I fly through activities on the Windows interface, but when I switch to Mac, everything grinds to a slow crawl. If I had an 87" monitor, I might not care much about vertical list view, but on the 11" MBA, it makes a huge difference (using Windows via Parallels)!

Anyhow, glad to hear you are thinking enough about it to make a mockup (so, this is what you do in your spare time instead of Halo?), even though this is most definitely not an indication of forthcoming functionality.If that mockup were to make its way into the next beta, I would be happy to give it a test-run for you :) And, if it works out, I could uninstall Parallels from my machine and hang out more in OSX, where I could come up with all sorts of things you could put next on your mockup list!

Am I correct in saying this is the FIRST time a developer has posted a mockup for comment? Thanks a lot for letting us in on the process, even if it is only in your head at the moment (where I'd like to think I planted the germ of the idea Inception-like over the past few months).

• Level 5*

Windows user here.

Used to be a list view user on Windows -- horizontal, because that was the only one available at the time. I liked list view because you could sort on the columns by clicking on them. But switched to snippet view because it was in vertical format (which allow more vertical screen space for notes) and because the snippet view gives me enough information (including the thumbnail) about a note to make the decisions I need, generally. I can order the view differently than my usual (like %99 usual) sort-by-most-recently-updated setting from the menus, which is fine for me. At some point later, vertical list view became available and I tried it, but didn't want to sacrifice the horizontal screen space needed to show what I would consider to be a reasonable amount of the list columns. Frankly, vertical list view gives me more items, but with too little information per item to distinguish them well. Whereas, snippet view gives me enough information to distinguish the fewer items presented to me in that view.

Archived