Evernote app not saving! "Sync error failed due to error on client side"

Hi there,

The last 2 days has forced me to use Evernote via the web. I had an hour long conversation and took all of my notes during the convo and when I skipped to get info from another note, the original note was gone!! No undo...it was gone. I uninstalled and reinstalled it. Removed the FireFox plugin thinking that any of this is interfering and it's still not working.

I'm getting the error, "SYNCHRONIZATION FAILED DUE TO AN UNEXPECTED ERROR AT THE CLIENT SIDE".

It was working fine up until yesterday. Please tell me how this can be fixed. I work at client sites everyday and use this app heavily. Using the web version is a bit more cumbersome but I don't trust the desktop app now.

Hi KimPatt, welcome to the forum :)

I had an hour long conversation and took all of my notes during the convo and when I skipped to get info from another note, the original note was gone!! No undo...it was gone. I uninstalled and reinstalled it. Removed the FireFox plugin thinking that any of this is interfering and it's still not working.

So, when you opened a previous note, it was empty, or you cannot even find the note?

Does the other note appear in the trash?

I'm getting the error, "SYNCHRONIZATION FAILED DUE TO AN UNEXPECTED ERROR AT THE CLIENT SIDE".

Can you copy and paste the last 10-20 lines of the activity log, just after syncing?

Help -> Activity log

Hopefully this should help reveal why it is failing to sync.

Scott

Thank you for the welcome Scott.

When I jumped out of the NEW note to get info and went to go back to the new note, it wasn't even there. The title was gone -- not even an empty screen. It wasn't in the trash either -- I checked there.

Okay, well this is odd. When I went to Help > activity log, it was blank although it said there was 1 entry. So I copied to the clipboard and pasted the below:

Evernote for Windows 4.6.2.7927 (268435) Public

User: kimroden

Memory: 27.7MB

Created: 2013/02/04 17:32:21

---

Bootstrap info: loadedFresh

<bootstrap_info><profile name="Evernote"><settings account_email_domain="m.evernote.com" enable_facebook_sharing="1" enable_gift_subscriptions="1" enable_linkedin_sharing="1" enable_shared_notebooks="1" enable_single_notesharing="1" enable_sponsored_accounts="1" enable_support_tickets="1" enable_twitter_sharing="1" marketing_url="http://evernote.com" service_host="www.evernote.com" support_url="https://evernote.com/contact/support/"/></profile></bootstrap_info>

---

Ok, so the returning to the note it wasn't there.

Did you close the note or just switch away from it?

With regards to the activty log, what about if you try syncing to force the error, and then look at the activity log?

• Level 5*

I am getting the same error message - don't know if it is the same problem, but I am getting the following in my activity log:

20:35:06 [7440] 0% EDAMUserException: errorCode=0 parameter="authMutexTimeout (auth)"

20:35:06 [7440] 0% Session terminated abnormally, elapsed time: 14s

20:35:06 [7440] 0% * 0s (0%) spent in EDAM RPC

I have 4.6.2.7927 (268435) Public, and it was working fine yesterday. Today I was trying to do a clip to EN from Outlook 2010, which has worked fine previously.

Edited to note: I am not able to log into the web version, so I am wondering if there is something wrong with the connection to the EN servers. I am currently rebuilding the full text search index after running evernote.exe /debugmenu at the command prompt, so we will see if that, or a good night's sleep, will fix it.

2nd edit - I submitted a ticket but couldn't wait for an answer, so I uninstalled and reinstalled. Now working perfectly again

Hi Kim,

I think the problem that caused the original loss of the data has now been replaced by a sync issue.

You state that you 'uninstalled and reinstalled' the software. This means that your 'log' is not available via the normal method as it has re set. But it will be stored on your computer and in the folder with your Evernote application.

If the 'Note' is not available in your trash or on your web then it may well be gone, but I suggest you urgently contact support and see if they can find it. I lost 10,000 notes which they found and sorted out for me!

The sync problem is, I believe, because of a mismatch between your application and the web. This can be looked at via the 'log' and you might want to carry out a sync, watch or review the log and see if it comes up with a specific note which causes a problem. This will be your starting point.

Either problem, I would most certainly contact support, but when you do send them log file as they will ask for it anyway.

Best regards

Chris

Thank you Scott and Chris.

Did you close the note or just switch away from it?

With regards to the activty log, what about if you try syncing to force the error, and then look at the activity log?

Scott, I just switched away from it, which still keeps it. I did try to do a manual sync and look for another error but the activity log is empty.

I submitted a support ticket. Hopefully they can help me. Whatever is going on, it's impacted my mobile devices as well -- iPad and Samsung Evernote Apps are not syncing.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't get my EN to sync on Windows. It works fine across Mac, iphone, ipad.

The Log shows the following:

2:21:22 [1064] 86% Creating local note "ICMIF conference - 2013.02.13", resource count: 0

12:21:22 [1064] 86% * guid={E64D1557-4DE7-46B9-88DD-CEFD5C30475C}

12:21:22 [1064] 86% * Retrieving note data, total size=260

12:21:23 [1064] Commit failed:
code=00000302, CANT_INSERT_ATTRS_TABLE, error: "Can't save uid=1466,
error: database disk image is malformed, database disk image is
malformed"

12:21:23 [1064] 100% SyncException:
Error: Can't commit transaction, error: CANT_INSERT_ATTRS_TABLE (Can't
save uid=1466, error: database disk image is malformed, database disk
image is malformed)

12:21:23 [1064] 100% Session terminated abnormally, elapsed time: 6s

12:21:23 [1064] 100% * sent: 1.2KB, received: 12.1KB

12:21:23 [1064] 100% * 5s (91%) spent in EDAM RPC

Would appreciate advice...

Hi DCG,

Not really sure what all that means - not a programmer.

But is there a table in the ICMIF conference document? Is there a way you can save the details of that Note, then delete it then sync? Hopefully it might work then. Afterwards you would obviously need to re-create the note. If you get that far and it fails again there must something wrong with the Note I guess and the only way to resolve it would be to send in a support ticket.

Best regards

Chris

• 1 year later...

I'm getting the same problems as Kim. Basically, this just started the last 72 hours. 

Everything I’m trying to do now - which means using Evernote without any fancy features -  was no problem the last 5 months. So , for me, these sync issues are brand new

I have lost 100 notes,  I didn't realize exporting a stack (that had NOT sync"d) wouldn't copy all the notes. So after hearing from Evernote on Thursday I exported ALL my stacks one by one thinking it would copy the file structure and all notes under that stack - NOT SO - 

I incorrectly thought that the issue would be fixed and "somewhere lay my data  & I would be able to recover it from my system somewhere " - not so –

Also, in the last 24 hours I've uninstalled EN from my Windows 7 IE 11 environment, did a fresh computer clean of cache etc and reinstalled. All notes that were in the cloud came back on, missing 103 notes, I used the import to import my notes but again that DID NOT RECOVER my notebooks or notes. I have no idea why.

Today and after a fresh RE-INSTALL, any time I change a notebook name or move a note from an old stack to a new stack (to a notebook) I'm getting a "Sync Failure Due to Unexpected Behavior on the Client Side"

Given I'm waiting on EN to reply to my last request of what to do -I'm following the below directions from EN. I basically sync after every move so I know exactly what is being missed. I import that notebook to my desk top, I sign out of EN and go to the options database folder and take out the “exb” file, I sign back in and let EN repopulate, then I go to my file holding the unsync’d data and import it in, I sync successfully.   I’ve done this practice 13x today. It’s like building a house with a deck of cards if not done carefully.

Since I’ve not changed anything in my system I can’t help but think something in the cloud either between Windows update and Evernote has changed since 02/12/14 via a behind the scene update – regardless, I want to just use EN instead of rebuilding it. Here are the 2 error situations

My Activity Error Message basically looks this when I ADD A NOTEBOOK
07:55:03 [9616] 0% Creating server notebook "Wk_Bucket"
07:55:03 [9616] 0% EDAMUserException: errorCode=LIMIT_REACHED parameter="Notebook"
07:55:03 [9616] 0% Session terminated abnormally, elapsed time: 1s
07:55:03 [9616] 0% * sent: 524B, received: 288B
07:55:03 [9616] 0% * 0s (92%) spent in EDAM RPC

My Activity Error Message basically looks this when I MOVE A NOTE TO A NEW STACK
06:00:23 [7300] 0% * saved updateCount: 24787
06:00:23 [7300] 0% Expunging server items
06:00:24 [7300] 0% Updating server items
06:00:24 [7300] 0% Updating server notebook "50.70_Medical"
06:00:24 [7300] 0% * guid={4dfa4597-0875-4fe8-b814-2ac034874ce2}
06:00:24 [7300] 0% EDAMNotFoundException: id="Notebook.guid" key="4dfa4597-0875-4fe8-b814-2ac034874ce2"
06:00:24 [7300] 0% Session terminated abnormally, elapsed time: 1s
06:00:24 [7300] 0% * sent: 753B, received: 495B
06:00:24 [7300] 0% * 1s (100%) spent in EDAM RPC

HERE IS WHAT EN SENT ME 72 HOURS AGO (note my error code has slightly changed in 3 days)

The original error message 3 days ago before I did a uninstall and reinstall was “Synchronization failed - Sync failed due to an unexpected error on the server side”

From Evernote to me on server side issue: “I recommend a database rebuild. Be sure to save any notes that are on your desktop and haven't synced to the web. There are instructions below on how you might choose to do that.

If you do not have any important Local Only or unsynchronized notes*, please try moving your Evernote database so that Evernote will regenerate a new local database by copying your notes back down from the service. To do this:

1. In Evernote, go to File > Logout "Username"
2. If Evernote has closed, please re-open it. You will now be on the Sign-In page.
3. Go to Evernote > Options (upper left-hand corner)
4. Click on the "Open Database files folder" button
5. Move the file with your username (ending in "exb") to a different location. For example, move it to your computer's desktop.
6. Sign In to Evernote with your username and password
7. Wait for your account data to synchronize to your machine from the service.

Let us know if this fixes the problem.

*If you do have any Local Only notebooks, right-click the notebook name in the left-hand notebook pane and select "Export", then export the notebook to .enex format, exporting tags if desired. If you have some unsynchronized notes, you can go to the Note List view, sort by the "Sync" column, and export any notes that have a * in that column to .enex format before following the above instructions. Once those instructions are finished, you can then import the .enex files you created to restore these exported notes."

If anyone has any thoughts on how to stop "rebuilding EN" note by note I sure would appreciate it.

Hi Dee,

"I have lost 100 notes,  I didn't realize exporting a stack (that had NOT sync"d) wouldn't copy all the notes."

Did you have 100 notes that hadn't been synced? Export and import isn't necessary if they are synced to the server.

"I used the import to import my notes but again that DID NOT RECOVER my notebooks or notes. I have no idea why."

Import retrieves the notes but does not put them back into notebooks unfortunately. You need to rearrange them. Note: if they are also on the server, imprt can result in a lot of duplicates (the server copy and the imported copy of each).

Did you carry out the list of instructions in "From Evernote to me on server side issue:" ? Has that fixed it? What was the result?

Do you have any Local Only notes?

Have you logged in to the web site and had a look at the notes there?

Do let us know,

Regards, Dave

• Level 5*

My Activity Error Message basically looks this when I ADD A NOTEBOOK

07:55:03 [9616] 0% Creating server notebook "Wk_Bucket"

07:55:03 [9616] 0% EDAMUserException: errorCode=LIMIT_REACHED parameter="Notebook"

07:55:03 [9616] 0% Session terminated abnormally, elapsed time: 1s

07:55:03 [9616] 0% * sent: 524B, received: 288B

07:55:03 [9616] 0% * 0s (92%) spent in EDAM RPC

This error message indicates that you have reached the maximum number of notebooks allowed to you. You need to merge some notebooks together before you can really proceed.

A note on export / import: The export format doesn't store the original notebook name, so you won't automatically be able to rebuild your notebook structure by exporting stacks; you would need to export / import on a notebook-by-notebook basis, and rebuild your stacks afterwards. Also, I think that importing a .ENEX file creates a new notebook, and since you're already at your limit, that would probably lead to problems as well. Again, I'd recommend finding some way to rethink your workflow so as to cut down the number of notebooks that you're using.

David Pierson and Jefito

I so appreciate your replies. I just heard from Evernote yesterday (via a ticket I submitted from last week) on what you had mentioned Jefito. I was monitoring usage and didn't realize there was a cap on notebooks. I'm not even close to using my monthly usage, but now I understand I have a volume problem.

I was using the terms incorrectly (stack, notebook, note), so when I did a copy of the stack (which I thought was a notebook) I assumed incorrectly that the entire file structure would be put back into place as it was. For me, the whole point of organizing the folders (notebooks) is to have that separation of under a certain category (stack) to get to it quickly. Most of the folders are simply references and serve as a storage cabinet, much like a book shelf.  Relative to actual day to day working files, I would estimate that I have just under a dozen.

Now, the bigger issue while I was waiting on a reply from Evernote. I didn't capture all I lost, but I rebuilt the entire structure which actually might have complicated things more. I haven't had a sync issue since I rebuilt but my web & mobile note count is NOT matching up. (which you & EN pointed out is due to reaching a limit).

I haven't exported or stored anything to my desktop (local) since I rebuilt so now I'm wondering since my desktop version is" keeping sync" (meaning the notes are accurate each time I open it up but NOT sync'd to the web) how I will fix this for the "mobile" capture and where EN is "getting" my data to keep my count accurate each day.

I'm using the "freebie" app.  Since I now understand the that the 250 includes all stacks and notebooks, I replied to Evernote (last night) to ask if going to the premium version will "fix" this problem. And if so, will going premium keep the file structure I have now without having to delete stacks and notebooks

Do you know if going to premium will keep all these notebooks or does this 250 limit apply, regardless?

• Level 5*

The 250 notebook limit applies to premium accounts as well. I don't think that stacks count against the notebook limit, but I can't be definitive about that. Eventually that limit may be raised (it used to be 100 notebooks a couple of years ago), but frankly, managing a lot of notebooks isn't very interesting to me. My notebook count is < 20 for over 4000 notes.

For reference, here's the taxonomy:

Notes contain content: text, pictures, attachments. Each note belongs to exactly one notebook. Conversely, each note can have more than one tag.

Notebooks contain only notes, and not other notebooks or stacks. Notebooks cannot be tagged. A notebook belongs to one or zero stacks. Notebooks can be shared with other users, and they are the basis for storing unsynched notes locally on a desktop Evernote instance (local notebooks) and also for caching notes permanently on mobile devices such that they are available when the device is offline (offline notebooks).

Stacks contain notebooks, not notes or stacks. Stacks cannot be tagged.

Tags are just labels; their content is their name. You can apply multiple tags to a note, and you can apply the same tag to multiple notes.

Thanks Jefito, 

and especially for the taxonomy. Had I understood all this prior to jumping into EN (I'm relatively newbie), I would have proceeded differently.

As I had mentioned, I ended up "re-making" the file structure AFTER losing data, which now I see obviously is a NO WIN for me. I had 3x less the amount of stacks that I currently have now. My rationale when I was rebuilding was "if I have to copy the back up - then I want these pieces of this pie to be smaller."

So it appears that I'm in a quandary.

One of the good uses I loved about EN was having all the data "housed" in the same area. Essentially, besides day to day working files. I removed and cleaned out things on my hard drive folders and put them into EN. Can the "references" gather dust just like old books on the shelf. Absolutely, but they are less apt to with visual (stack, notebook) when I open EN. In fact, I deleted a ton of data that was just taking up space prior to going into EN.  And duplicating data or similar data is not an issue now that I use tags and have things easily seen in one house. The EN attraction for me is like a 1 stop shop without having to switch to different platforms etc

Gosh, I'm going to back up all my data and figure out how to proceed. Maybe, I'm in the wrong venue for how I'm using EN.

Bummed..but thank you for your reply

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I couldn't sync my newer files using Evernote for PC Desktops (Win 7), version 5.2
Most of my older notes synced ok (Checked by clicking on Info tab; indicated that sync had occurred x seconds/minutes ago). None of my newer notes or new notes synced at all. 

The ones that didn't sync are/were marked with a dot in the sync column. (If the sync column isn't visible, right click on the column header and select sync.)

I exported all of my notes using the built in feature enex export feature.
Then I deleted all of the notebooks that caused problems and checked that there were no un-synced notes left.
I made sure to delete the trash.
Following this, I began the process of re-importing my files.
This time, they synced properly.

This problem clearly demonstrates a bug in Evernote that should be addressed. Nothing I did before that solved the problem.

Hello all and lookig for help

I updated to 5.2.1 a few days ago and since then I am getting "Sync failed due to unexpected behavior at client side" error.

I have loged out, closed program, restarted PC, login in and error remains

I have deleted this note "Sean D'S'ouza Why You Really Need To ...", and a it error remains.

This note was added via Outlook add to EN button.

My feeling is an error with 5.2.1, but, little evidence, bar sync not working after the update.

How easy is it to downgrade to 5.x? possible, will loose notes (no), etc

Suggestion please.

Here is the lastest activity log file:

08:50:25 [6864] 0% Updating server items
08:50:25 [6864] 0% Updating server note "Sean D'S'ouza Why You Really Need To ...", resource count: 9
08:50:25 [6864] 0% * guid={07d58596-a0e2-4b32-a8b0-b33364be68a7}
08:50:26 [6864] 0% EDAMUserException: errorCode=DATA_REQUIRED parameter="Data.body"
08:50:26 [6864] 0% Session terminated abnormally, elapsed time: 2s
08:50:26 [6864] 0% * sent: 2.6KB, received: 141B
08:50:26 [8028] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
08:50:26 [8028] * error: Sync failed due to unexpected behavior at client side
08:50:26 [8028] * elapsed time: 2s

Thank in advance for anyone to help.

Hi Urban,

Downgrading to an earlier version is unlikely to help. It is most likely that the issue is the local database on the PC.

Please log in to the web version, at https://www.evernote.com/Home.action and verify that the notes shown there are correct. You are then looking at the server, which is the master copy.

If the server version is all correct, the easiest approach is to hive off the local database and have it re-synch everything from the server.

If you have any "Local Notes" then it is more complicated as these are NOT stored on the server.

Please let us know.

Mark Deck

The ones that didn't sync are/were marked with a dot in the sync column. (If the sync column isn't visible, right click on the column header and select sync.)

I exported all of my notes using the built in feature enex export feature.
Then I deleted all of the notebooks that caused problems and checked that there were no un-synced notes left.
I made sure to delete the trash.
Following this, I began the process of re-importing my files.
This time, they synced properly.

Mark  - I went a little further (by deleting all of EN and reinstalling and importing) and did exactly what you stated to get the dot in the sync section to disappear. It seemed to be associated with 1 or 2 notebooks. Initially, I thought it had something to do with the tags. When I reimported everything back into a new notebook - all was well and there wasn't a dot. However, when I edited anything in the body of the note or the tag, the dot would reappear and reappear for every single note in that notebook. That's where I followed your steps (organically) to have the same end result. 

To summarize my journey with this

When I changed something in the body or tag  of a "untroubled" notebook - I had no issues regardless of recapture

When I changed something in the body or tag of a "troubled" (one that had multiple dots that would NOT go away even with a successful synchronization) notebook - I had to delete the entire notebook, clean trash and essentially recreate the notebook and notes to get the dot to disappear

HOWEVER, with the 2nd issue, even with the dot in the sync column  - when I compared the note to the web version it appeared to be up to date. So the dot in the sync column may have been a false positive. Since I didn't want to chance it I still did the steps you stated in your clean up

Hi Urban,

Downgrading to an earlier version is unlikely to help. It is most likely that the issue is the local database on the PC.

Please log in to the web version, at https://www.evernote.com/Home.action and verify that the notes shown there are correct. You are then looking at the server, which is the master copy.

If the server version is all correct, the easiest approach is to hive off the local database and have it re-synch everything from the server.

If you have any "Local Notes" then it is more complicated as these are NOT stored on the server.

Please let us know.

DavidPierson

Thanks for your fast response. #Appreciated

I do have a few local notes which have not synced, but, I don't mind loosing them and they can easily be recreated.

'Hive off'? do you mean deleting the PC database or uninstall EN?

Uninstall is easy. If you are suggesting deleting the database where is it located?

Thanks again for you help.

Urban,

In Evernote in Windows, click Tools > Options. In the General tab click the  "Open Database folder" link.

Close and quit Evernote. I right-click the notification icon near the clock and "Quit" to get it to exit.

In the Windows Explorer window that was opened, select all the files (e.g. yourname.exb.*) and folders (Attachments)..

Cut, and then paste them into another spare temporary folder somewhere else (e.g., c:\temp\evernote)

(that's what I meant by "Hiving off" - moving them out of there but not deleting "just in case").

Restart Evernote.

It will recreate the database and synch from the server.

Let us know how it goes, Dave

• 3 years later...

I received the following notice when attempting to share my 101st notebook:

"You've reached your limit of 100 shared notebooks.  If you need to create a new one, you can delete an existing notebook."

Is the limit 250 or 100?  If this requires an upgrade, to what level?

Thanks!

• Level 5*

250 notebooks for an account.  Didn't know about shared, but it would appear you can only share 100 of the 250, based upon the message you received.  You could contact EN on Twitter to get the official line.

Archived