(Archived) Lack of basic functionality for Skitch

Falck

In the same way as Evernote, Skitch has the potential to be so much more than a program - it can be a tool which you are allowed to use as you see fit. What makes Evernote so great is that to a large extent it does not tell you anything about what to do, it just gives you a vast number of possibilities that you can explore or not explore at your own leisure.

What is so sad about Skitch is that it still bears the solid mark of a program designed to do one thing - and thereby the program sets a limit far before your imagination does. To believe that you know what your entire user base is going to use a program for is first of all naive, but it is also an old fashioned idea. The best thing about Evernote is how it lets you use it as you please, this should be the thought behind Skitch as well.

That being said there are some fundamentally basic things about Skitch that limit its use greatly:

1. The text-tool is far too simple (lack of basic options like text-boxes, fonts ...)

2. The markup tool is terribly simple (design it as a general tool, not as a specific intrument to do one thing - you cant even bend or manipulate the shapes or lines you make)

I personally use Skitch mostly to graph economic models alongside my notes. A simple task in theory, but when I cannot even rotate text along axis, bend lines, make dotted lines (not manually), have the option to snap shapes together, etc. I find myself unable to use Skitch to do the simplest of tasks. I would again like to underline the point that you cannot think to know what the user base will use these kinds of programs for, I am sure there are hundreds if not thousands of people who use Skitchs for completely different things, who would all benefit from adding more options to the program.

Instead of deciding that people probably don't want or need a specific function - include it as an option. Let people decide for themselves what they need or don't need when they use Skitch. This is what makes Evernote so great, it almost seems a waste not to have the same basic thought behind Skitch, especcially considering how simple it would be to add these basic functions to the program.

Any thoughts or input on the matter?

Archived