(Archived) Penultimate notes are read-only when synced to Evernote

pinksteady

Using the new Penultimate on iPad and trying and the sync functionality.

It works well but one problem I've encountered is that all notes synced to Evernote appear there as read-only. This means I can't move the note to a different notebook in Evernote.

Because currently Penultimate only lets you sync all notes to a single Notebook in Evernote, this means all my Penultimate notes, including work and personal, all end up in one Notebook. So I then want to move the work-related notes to my "Work" notebook in Evernote, etc etc.

I'm not sure why the notes are marked as read only and I can't find a way to undo this. I think maybe they are read-only to preserve the syncing ability - otherwise if you moved the note maybe Penultimate would lose track of it, but there must be a way for the two apps to track a note across notebooks.

I guess I'm requesting two features then:

1. Allow synced notes to be editable and / or movable to different notebooks

2. Allow per-notebook syncing of Penultimate notebooks instead of all notes syncing to a single Evernote notebook

See my separate post - just look for the ARRRGGGHHH ;)

But I would add to that list of requests the ability to turn sync off completely - for those of us who do not want every little scribble and doodle synced. It also takes forever - the new version keeps trying to sync all the time.

Would be much better to have Sync on Demand, in the same Share list as email, etc. That way we could sync individual notes or pages, or a single notebook, or nothing at all.

Sorry for cross-posting this, but my upgraded Penultimate has changed from being one of my most-used programs to being unusable due to the continual syncing. And I deleted a Penultimate notebook from Evernote as I didn't want it there - and it disappeared from Penultimate - the syncing is two-way!

@pinksteady I came across the same issue. Here's a workaround I use and it works fine.

After creating a note(book) in Penultimate, you can e-mail it to your Evernote account. Penultimate will create a PDF and mail it.

It will be posted in your standard notebook. After that you can paste it in any other notebook and even add tags if you want.

Hope this helps.

grts

I deleted a Penultimate notebook from Evernote as I didn't want it there - and it disappeared from Penultimate - the syncing is two-way!

That is really bad - I just did a test and you're right, deleting from Evernote deletes from Penultimate. That should be controllable.

@pinksteady I came across the same issue. Here's a workaround I use and it works fine.

After creating a note(book) in Penultimate, you can e-mail it to your Evernote account. Penultimate will create a PDF and mail it.

It will be posted in your standard notebook. After that you can paste it in any other notebook and even add tags if you want.

Hope this helps.

grts

Thanks. Wouldn't that create a duplicate note though, as Penultimate would still be syncing the note to Evernote anyway?

• Level 5*

I deleted a Penultimate notebook from Evernote as I didn't want it there - and it disappeared from Penultimate - the syncing is two-way!

That is really bad - I just did a test and you're right, deleting from Evernote deletes from Penultimate. That should be controllable.

Hope this helps.

grts

Thanks. Wouldn't that create a duplicate note though, as Penultimate would still be syncing the note to Evernote anyway?

Yes. One workaround for this is to associate Penultimate with a "test" account (think of it as a kind of temporary backup account) and email your notes to your main notebook when you are done. I suppose, you could also "share" the Penultimate notebook with your main account as well, though I haven't tried this yet.

Also the lack of zoom, pen size, pen type, and pen color annoys me. I'd also like to see the ability to import PDFs to penultimate so that they could be annotated. Of course, to be able to optimize the usefulness of this, it would also call for a highlighter type tool. The handwriting recognition does not impress me if I can make a note in another note taking app and send it as a photo to Evernote if it was a note for a class and the class is over and I know I'm not going to make any changes to that note. But, yes, this inability to assign each Penultimate notebook a different Evernote notebook is annoying.

Anybody know when they might make updates?

Caught me by surprise. Stuffing everything into one "Penultimate" notebook in EN defeated my efforts to curate a small number of independent notebooks and organize across and within the notebooks with a variety of tags.

I mostly use PU -- or used, since I just deleted it until some of these features get fixed -- to sketch presentation slides by hand. Lots of sketching and erasing, pasting photos or screen captures and then annotating or removing them. I could use my month's upload allowance in a couple of hours.

I'd like:

1. Optional linking of PU notebooks to EN, as others have said, for sketching

2. Ability to assign PU notebooks to the appropriate EN notebook, not a catch-all notebook called Penultimate

3. Ability to tag notebooks (that may exist. I didn't wait long enough to check.)

4. Page-level updates, rather than notebook level (may exist)

5. As long as I'm asking: Landscape mode for slides :-)

This needed more user testing. The sketcher/brainstormer persona lost out to the packrat/searcher persona.

Noteshelf is the king of note tools, but Evernote is the queen of sync. Pair the two and you have wonder.

Anyway, I'm totally in for the much needed options of highlighting, zooming, etc. but one thing I truly miss is the ability to not only sync but tag single pages. Having a notebook for work lets me tag every page in Noteshelf, so that I can go back and find notes for a specific client, even though I have a notebook with 400+ pages.

The same feature in Evernote / Penultimate would be a killer.

:-m

Archived