(Archived) Long-term idea: Workspaces/Pinboards

Bion Howard

Idea

I think evernote is currently by far the best notes program out there, and I've been evangelizing about it for a while now.

However, there is the possibility for a huge sea-change in the way these types of note apps work…and for that, we need only look at the mega-viral success of the website "pinterest." People love pinboards because it's a great user interface!

A focus on notes and notebooks is great, but I think another great improvement to EN would involve shareable 'workspaces' or 'pinboards' where a user could spread out multiple notes, notebooks, stacks, to-do lists, images, pdfs, etc etc all on a zoomable plane extending in multiple directions. This would really help with seeing the big picture, organizing ideas, and connecting the dots. Maybe you could even link objects together, and highlighting an object in a workspace would show edges connected to related objects.

So, if someone from EN staff reads this, consider the possibility of a higher level of abstraction in terms of workspaces/pinboards. That added flexibility can pay dividends longterm because then one app (evernote) could take the place of several (mind-maps, task managers, etc etc). In terms of the GTD system, each project could have its own workspace, shareable with whoever needs to be involved.

After all, what's better than having all of your notes searchable? What's the REAL reason paper note-taking still clings to life? I'll tell you: being able to spread things out and look at them all at once is very useful!

-Bion Howard

6 replies to this idea

To be honest, Pinterest - both in terms of layout and functionality (or lack thereof) - is the opposite of what I would like EN to become. The recent EN 5 "upgrades" on Mac and iOS go already too far in that direction IMO and I'm a bit alarmed that this suggestion got a much faster, and much more enthusiastic, response from EN than pages upon pages of well thought out suggestions of how power features could be restored or improved.

• Level 5*
I think it's fun to think about new/exciting ideas and directions for Evernote.

Yeah, but is it fun to try and get the time to get them all implemented?? (That's really code for "Go 3rd-party devs!!!")

I think it's fun to think about new/exciting ideas and directions for Evernote.

Yeah, but is it fun to try and get the time to get them all implemented?? (That's really code for "Go 3rd-party devs!!!")

Not to mention tested/debugged across all the platforms/devices...

Archived