(Archived) ✔ Firefox Web Clipper 5.4.1 - serious issue with authentication

jbignert

Hi all,

As many Firefox user has reported the Evernote Web Clipper 5.4.1 is partially broken due to an authentication issue. We are working on fixing this as soon as possible.

There is a reasonable workaround to get clipping functionality back by switching to sending clips to the desktop client ( you will need to have Evernote for Windows or Mac installed for this workaround...)

Instructions on setting Web Clipper to clip to desktop client:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/4485bcf0-a83c-4160-97ba-f4809870cb8c/6fc8977cb483648507fae6dcf7827534

I will post back here as soon as we've verified a fix.

I'm another Firefox user who had a problem with Evernote Web Clipper...I only started using Evernote Web Clipper (web based) two nights ago and discovered the software to put on my computer last night. I've switched and am now sending clips to the desktop client. At the moment all I have done is test how to use both the Web Clipper and the desktop software. However, I'm getting triplicates and quadruplicates of the test pages I've clipped over the past two nights. Plus, everytime I delete a clip darn if it doesn't come back...multiple times. It has eaten up about one-third of my monthly allotment already! Is there anyway to have my allotment set back to 60MB?

• Level 5*

Hi all,

As many Firefox user has reported the Evernote Web Clipper 5.4.1 is partially broken due to an authentication issue. We are working on fixing this as soon as possible.

I will give you guys a lot of credit for making this post to advise us of the issue.

OTOH, how could such a basic, fundamental, wide-spread issue have made it through even the most basic internal testing and QA? :angry:

I don't know what you guys have done to your internal development process, but across the board your releases have become progressively worse, with many more major bugs, over the last year. As a long time premium user and fan of Evernote, I urge you to step back and take a look at your process, and fix whatever is causing this.

• Level 5*

Hi all,

Do you realize that this has also broken Evernote Clearly?

I just did this and it appeared to work at first but everytime I try to clip something I get an error saying "Unable to create Evernote object (0x80040154)."

I can get through authentication etc. fine though, it's once I've clipped something this error comes up, is this a related issue or is there something else I need to fix?

Never mind, found the answer here (just in case anyone else is noticing the same error now they've switched)

Ok - we have rolled out a fix for the authentication issue that has been causing serious problems the last day. Please let me know if anyone is still experiencing problems.

- You may need to logout & re-login.

- You may have to restart the browser or clear the cache.

Ok - we have rolled out a fix for the authentication issue that has been causing serious problems the last day. Please let me know if anyone is still experiencing problems.

Got it to work one time only after clearing cache, but then the spinning arrow is back again whenever I make a clip. Tried several web pages, even Evernote.

Clearing cache, logging out and in again, restarting browser has not helped.

Is there something else I can try?

I'm on Mac OS X 10.8.2, Firefox 18.0.1 and web clipper 5.4.1.

• Level 5*

If you are still having problems with the EN Clipper, make sure you have tried all the steps recommended by Evernote:

If all of the above fails, I would do this:

1. Remove EN Web clipper add-in from Browser
  2. Restart Browser
  3. Clear Browser cache.
  4. Quit Browser
  5. Restart your PC/Mac
  6. Re-install EN Clipper add-in to your Browser

If all this fails, submit a support ticket at Evernote.com, and report here.

Good luck.

We cannot reproduce this issue at the moment so if you have any more details that can help us out that is always helpful.

Some details that usually helps us:

- OS version

- Firefox version

- Exact Clipper version ( we are assuming 5.4.1)

- If the issue happens on all URLs or specific URLs

- List extensions if you have many extensions installed (if there is a conflict one can try to disable on extension at a time... tedious I know, our QA is doing this at the moment )

• Level 5*

Thanks all for your patience and helping us to locate the error. And sorry for the bug in the first place.

Thanks for the quick fix to a bug that completely put web clipping out of business for a few days.

Having said that, I truly hope you guys have learned a valuable lesson from this: You must do much more thorough in-house testing, starting with the developer/coder, to integrated development testing, to QA to real end users within the Evernote company, and finally with your user Beta testing groups.

Although we all love frequent updates giving us great new features, I, for one, would much prefer fewer releases that give you more time for design analysis/critique and internal testing that results in a more mature design and many, many fewer bugs. Although no software will ever be 100% bug free, I do honestly believe that you can produce releases with NO major bugs like the one discussed here.

I'm having the issue as well.

Brand new to Evernote (as of about a week ago). Just installed the clipper for the first time, two days ago. Uninstalled it after it didn't work. Tried installing again today, and it pops up with the sign-in box. I give my Evernote username and password, clicked "Remember Me" (actually, I tried it both ways, with no luck), and it briefly says that it's signed in, and then it just hangs. I click the clipper button again, and it's right back to the sign-in box.

Firefox 18.0.1

Currently-enabled addons: Add to Amazon WishList, avast webRep (which I WILL NOT be disabling), Evernote Clipper, Firebug, PDF Converter 7.1 (from Nuance), Status 4-Evar.

Archived