Evernote "Could not connect to server" on startup - Windows 8

Hello to the Evernote team and users,

I just installed Windows 8 Enterprise for testing purposes at my company and it seems like Evernote just refuses to launch whichever way I do.

Internet works, I connect through IE and Chrome with no problem whatsoever, I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, rebooting several times. Even tried the previous version of Evernote (7670) to no avail, always the exact same problem for the desktop app. When clicking the shortcut, Evernote brings a popup saying:

Could not connect to server.

You need to be online to register or perform an initial sync. Please check your internet connection.

Quit / Try Again

Thanks, but yeah, I have the web version of Evernote opened right behind that and am posting on forums, so my internet connection is fine. Quit just closes it all and Try Again brings back the same message ad nauseam.

I also tried the Metro app to see if any difference, but it just remains stuck on the loading screen (the Evernote logo with the circular loading motion of Windows 8). It won't budge from that.

I've searched a bit online, and even on this forum, apparently I'm not the only one to have experienced this but it doesn't seem like a widespread issue either.

Any advice would be much welcome.

Thanks you in advance.

post-121265-0-92664400-1359363141_thumb.

Hi Ycare and hopefully Evernote rep. (Sorry for longparagraph, but I don't seem te be able to 'enter' in this forum...?????). I just installed Windows 8 on my pc last weekend and I am very disappointed that the evernote metro app does not work. It opens, little white balls cross the screen, but nothing happens. The little 'buttons' at the bottom – log in etc – seem somewhat faded. The desktop version though runs normal. I also use the metro app on my laptop and it works fine although it doesn't show some pictures (maybe .bmp is the problem). The only difference between my Windows laptop and my desktop is that the latter is a Windows 64 bitsmachine and the laptop 32 bits. Can that be the cause?

I seem to have the same issue and have performed the same troubleshooting tests, I get the same error when I try and open EN...

"Could not connect to server.

You need to be online to register or perform an initial sync. Please check your internet connection."

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

OK. same thing here. I just purchased a windows 8 computer yesterday and downloaded the Evernote desktop app. Tried to register my account and got the "Could not connect to server" error message.

Attached is an image of the window. I am presently running on Internet Explorer so I do have internet contact.

My phone Evernote app connects and updates fine. Deleted, reinstalled twice with same result.

Joe Donohue

post-95590-0-56536400-1359396855_thumb.j

Thanks for the feedback guys, glad to know it's not only me.

I'll take a wild leap here, but I think the problem is only affecting 64 bit version of Windows 8?

I did forgot to mention it, but my version of Windows 8 Enterprise is of course 64 bit too.

Well, came back to the office the day after, changed nothing whatsoever aside of one more reboot, and Evernote was able to connect successfully...

I wish I had a solution to the "how" and a reason to the "why", but it's as much a mystery to you than to me, at the exception that's it's now working for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi everyone!

I've just found the solution:

1. Close IE and Evernote. You can close also ther programms running.

2. Start IE, go to menu ->extra ->internet options -> advanced (I'm using the German version, so the tabs could differ)

3. reset all options

4. click on the second "reset" below. Wait until the process is finished.

5. press "ok" and restart IE.

6. Enjoy IE and Evernote!

Best, 

Eugene

Hi all,

today it has happened again - error of synchronization. I did the steps I described above and everything worked. So, it is reliable.

However, it is very bad that IE makes some changes in settings without my knowledge. I don't use IE at all, but Evernote uses it.

@Evernote team - try to avoid this probem. Contact to microsoft might be needed!

Best,

Eugene

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived