"Could not connect to server" after fresh install on Win8 x64

downandout

I just installed the latest version (Evernote_4.6.1.7860.exe) on Windows 8x64. This was the first time I installed Evernote on Windows 8 (had it on Windows 7 before where it worked w/o problems).

When I try to start Evernote I get the message "Could not connect to server" without the program ever opening. I can run EvernoteTray.exe but can't open Evernote from there either.

post-76960-0-78504600-1359223399_thumb.p

• IE is not in offline mode.
  • I've allowed all Evernote .exe files in my firewall (Comodo)
  • I'v tried running Evernote without firewall and A/V
  • I tried using compatibility mode (XP or Windows 7)

The following is from the AppLog at C:\Users\<my user>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Logs:

18:43:53 [7048] Command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe" /Hide

18:43:53 [7048] Client info: Evernote Windows/268368; Windows/6.2.9200;

18:43:53 [7048] Bootstrap info: Evernote (loadedLastUsed)

18:43:53 [4924] Requesting bootstrap info from "www.evernote.com" (en-US)

18:43:53 [4924] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com

18:43:55 [4924] 0% TException: EDAM processing error: null

18:43:55 [4924] 0% Session terminated abnormally, elapsed time: 1s

18:43:55 [4924] 0% * sent: 99B, received: 83B

18:43:55 [4924] 0% * 1s (78%) spent in EDAM RPC

18:43:55 [4924] Bootstrap info: request to "www.evernote.com" failed, error: timeout

18:43:55 [7048] Could not retrieve fresh bootstrap info, assuming service host "www.evernote.com"

18:43:55 [4924] Requesting bootstrap info from "www.evernote.com" (en-US)

18:43:55 [4924] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com

18:43:56 [4924] 0% TException: EDAM processing error: null

18:43:56 [4924] 0% Session terminated abnormally, elapsed time: 0s

18:43:56 [4924] 0% * sent: 99B, received: 83B

18:43:56 [4924] 0% * 1s (100%) spent in EDAM RPC

18:43:56 [4924] Bootstrap info: request to "www.evernote.com" failed, error: timeout

I have no idea why this doesn't work. I'm using DNSCrypt from OpenDNS - could that be a problem for Evernote? :(

I am having the same problem on Win8 64-bit. Neither windows 8 Evernote application is working - the Metro-style one just does the loading animation forever, and the desktop app gives the "Could not connect to server" error. I installed the desktop app fresh today, but the metro-style app was installed and working earlier in the month.

Evernote client on Mac works fine over same network, as does NixNote on my linux machines and Evernote iOS client. So, doesn't appear to be a network problem. I saw something somewhere that suggested it might be related to IE thinking it is offline - my IE is not in offline mode.

Same problem 'cannot connect to server' for windows phone app on Lumia 920.

I had the same issue with a clean install of Windows 7 64. The Evernote application appears to have some dependency on Internet Explorer. I cleared IE's browser cache and the problem went away.

Hi,

I'm running into the same problem on a fresh install of Windows 8 Pro. Windows 8 and Evernote were both installed only yesterday. Neither the Desktop nor the full-screen/Metro app can connect to the server - desktop version pops up a message saying it can't connect, full-screen version goes on forever cycling thru the initial animation.

I can, however, use the Chrome Evernote Web Clipper as well as bring up the Evernote web and see my notes there. However, I still can't do everything I want, since the web version does not let me copy/paste snapshots. I am only limited to web page clips. :-(

I tried clearing my IE cache, rebooting, but nothing helped.

If anyone has had any more success, I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Same problem here. I obviously can connect to the internet. Even though IE is not my default browser I cleaned it;s cache and made sure it is online.

Were is the activity log located? I can't access it from Evernote as it doesn't start.

Any help appreciated.

Having same problem on new (today) install of Evernote on a long-existing install of Windows XP (32 bit) (on an older laptop). Activity log is iin user/local settings/app data/Evernote.... - mine is about the same:

13:29:24 [1048] Requesting bootstrap info from "www.evernote.com" (en-US)

13:29:24 [1048] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com

13:29:25 [1048] 0% TException: EDAM processing error: null

13:29:25 [1048] 0% Session terminated abnormally, elapsed time: 1s

13:29:25 [1048] 0% * sent: 99B, received: 83B

13:29:25 [1048] 0% * 0s (95%) spent in EDAM RPC

13:29:25 [1048] Bootstrap info: request to "www.evernote.com" failed, error: timeout

IE is NOT in offline mode. Clearing cache etc. made no difference for me.

Started working for me too. I can't identify specifically why. I gave up on the Windows version, decided to start working from the browser EN (in Chrome), clipped a few pages using the web clipper in Chrome, and suddenly noticed the Windows program had opened (I guess I'd left it trying in the background). No idea why. I'm on Windows XP.

• Level 5*
Could someone from Evernote please answer?

This is a user forum, and not an official Evernote support forum. If you need technical support (sounds like you do), then you should open a support request: see the link in my signature.

Could someone from Evernote please answer?

This is a user forum, and not an official Evernote support forum. If you need technical support (sounds like you do), then you should open a support request: see the link in my signature.

OK sorry, I thought I had seen Evernote employees answer in other threads before. Just submitted the ticket. Thanks a bunch for your quick reply.

I had the same problem, clean install Win 8 Pro x64bit. I made it somehow work...

What I did?

1. Set to run Evernote with admin privileges (probably not necessary but I did it).

2. I used Chrome extension to login, set to Remember me, clip the page in this forum. I opened the clipped note on the web, tried to edit and save.

3. Run the Evernote app from Metro, not from the Desktop. (I think this step is the solution.)

Fortunately, it works now.

I submitted a support ticket. I am not a premium subscriber, so they will get to it "as time permits, within the order your request was received". I'll post back once I hear from them. Should be interesting to see how their time is permitting... =) Glad my main machine is a mac, which is still working just fine.

I was having the same problem. Win7 x64 (in a VM but don't think that was related). I first noticed the network connections was set to Public, changed that to Work (where I was). Didn't help. So I manually added an Allow rule in Windows Firewall for Evernote, and that fixed it. Had to hit Retry a couple of times when it said couldn't connent, but then it works and now it's fine. I didn't see any rules for Evernote in Windows Firewall, so I'm guessing in this version they forgot he FW registration rules on install or something.

Greg

My experience with Evernote_4.6.1.7860.exe matches some of the problems reported here.

After installing Evernote into a fresh Windows 8 and a fresh Windows 7, it would not work complaining that it could not connect to the server. Also, attempting clipping in Internet Explorer resulted in an error stating that Evernote services were unavailable.

However, I did get it working in Windows 7 after installing all the available Windows updates by uninstalling the original Evernote installation and then reinstalling it.

Daniel Zhang

Just tried again and now both desktop and Metro version are working. :lol:

<Update> support had this to say:

Dear Valued Customer,

We apologize for the inconvenience. There was a server error that caused certain clients to be unable to complete a sync, and in some cases, connect entirely. We believe we have corrected this issue and you should be able to sync properly now.

Please try again and do let us know if you are still experiencing the problem.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

Agree with #25 & #26 above.

Had same problem on Win8 laptop.

I opened IE, and clicked Allow as it was asking about the Evernote extension, then updated IE and cleared History and cache just in case, and now works fine

Thanks for reporting! However, I've deleted your posts in other threads, as they were copy/pasted versions of this post.

• 2 months later...

Just solved the problem for me. I tried to use a proxy and it didn't work, IE couldn't get online. So I had to reset the proxy settings in Win 7 by going to Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings > checked up "Automatically detect settings" and unchecked "Proxy server" 

Hope this helps for others!

=

Sharky of BusinessHack.org

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello Everyone!

I joined this forum to get help with the same problem as you all appear to have.  I have been using EN for 2 years on my phone.  I decided to go premium after I install EN on my home and office windows machines.  The install at work was very easy and the EN started, I logged in and there was "Evernote" from my phone.  Great!

BUT the install on my home computer did not go as well.  and I get the same window as the first post stating that EN can not connect to the sever.  I tried to uninstall and downloaded  " EverNote 5.6.4.4632(1),exe" and started again with the same result.

I have to say I am disappointed

in EN support.  I understand that this is a user forum but there is real problem here that surely they know about and it is effecting a lot of us.

I will open a support ticket and let you know what happens. 

I wonder how many sales they lose due this problem?

Cburg

Just solved the problem for me. I tried to use a proxy and it didn't work, IE couldn't get online. So I had to reset the proxy settings in Win 7 by going to Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings > checked up "Automatically detect settings" and unchecked "Proxy server" 

Hope this helps for others!

=

Sharky of BusinessHack.org

Thanks for this post.  After making my first post, I went back though all the posts again and found your fix.  Once I figured out how to do what you said, It worked !!! 

Being new to the forum  I am not sure of the layout but if there is a section with " Help and Tips" your post should be put in there.

Thanks again  :)

Cburg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived