Back up all your notes

Evernote team,

First of all I want to say thank you for creating this great tool, which I use on a daily biases at work and at university. Great job !!!

Is it somehow possible to download all my created notes (just like a backup on my computer). It would be comfortable to have the Notebooks as different folders that contain all the created notes e.g. in .doc files. This is a feature my friends and I appreciate very much.

One more thing: It would be great to have some more options to highlight and color your notes.

Cheers

Chris

• Level 5

Hi and welcome to the forums !

You are right to think about backing up your notes.

1. Copy your .exb file (this is where all your notes are stored in one file) (to a stick, external drive etc.).
  2. Yes, you can export your notes:Right click on a notebook >> Export. Choose the format you want. The ENEX format wil give you a complete XML format of your notes.
  3. Highlighting is only available with EN CLEARLY at the moment.

Hth,

Wern

Evernote team,

First of all I want to say thank you for creating this great tool, which I use on a daily biases at work and at university. Great job !!!

Is it somehow possible to download all my created notes (just like a backup on my computer). It would be comfortable to have the Notebooks as different folders that contain all the created notes e.g. in .doc files. This is a feature my friends and I appreciate very much.

One more thing: It would be great to have some more options to highlight and color your notes.

Cheers

Chris

If you have either a Mac or Wimdows computer, install the desktop client & sync. This downloads all your notes to your desktop. If you have a Windows computer, follow Wern's suggestions.

For Mac and/or more info regarding backup/restore, please search the message board. This has been discussed already at great length.

Yes, you can export your notes:Right click on a notebook >> Export. Choose the format you want. The ENEX format wil give you a complete XML format of your notes.

That is mostly true. The Evernote Exporter program will export notes on a regular basis. I keep a Windows 7 virtual machine running with the Windows client and Evernote Exporter, but the ENEX format does not seem to export notebook information. In other words, it is a dump of all of the notes. If I ever need to recover, they will all import into a single notebook then I will need to sort them into the appropriate notebooks.

Every week or two I toy with the idea of writing something portable that interfaces with the API and backs up the notes properly, maybe to a relational database. That would negate the need to have a virtual machine running and would be able to run unattended on any server.

That is mostly true. The Evernote Exporter program will export notes on a regular basis. I keep a Windows 7 virtual machine running with the Windows client and Evernote Exporter, but the ENEX format does not seem to export notebook information. In other words, it is a dump of all of the notes. If I ever need to recover, they will all import into a single notebook then I will need to sort them into the appropriate notebooks.

Every week or two I toy with the idea of writing something portable that interfaces with the API and backs up the notes properly, maybe to a relational database. That would negate the need to have a virtual machine running and would be able to run unattended on any server.

The easiest/most reliable/fastest way (Windows client) is to just backup your exb file. Please search the board on this, if you need more information.

1. Copy your .exb file (this is where all your notes are stored in one file) (to a stick, external drive etc.).

The easiest/most reliable/fastest way (Windows client) is to just backup your exb file. Please search the board on this, if you need more information.

That's my understanding as well. Do you know of a way to do that unattended?

Pretty much any backup app. Carbonite, Jungle Disk, Syncback, etc, etc, etc. The trick is that many (but not all) apps require the file to be closed. Not a problem if you regularly turn your computer off at night and/or close Evernote at the end of the day.

That's my understanding as well. Do you know of a way to do that unattended?

Pretty much any backup app. Carbonite, Jungle Disk, Syncback, etc, etc, etc. The trick is that many (but not all) apps require the file to be closed. Not a problem if you regularly turn your computer off at night and/or close Evernote at the end of the day.

And see, that's the trick. In my case, I have a Windows machine solely to run Evernote backups. I never turn it off at the end of the day because I never use it throughout the day. All my "regular" interactions with Evernote occur through a web browser on a Unix machine or via an Android tablet or smartphone. My wife uses Evernote exclusively on her Android tablet. She has never seen an Evernote client for a PC.

• 1 year later...

It amazes me how profound the art of "backup" is. Why is this so tough?  

After many searches across the web NONE OF YOU TECHNO MASTERS have come up with a good brainless non-techy solution at no cost to backup a person's Evernotes that is easily readable in a format outside of Evernote format. Come on gang .. You can do better. Show me how to backup my Evernotes - without being a techno-web-scientist... Make it layman-friendly, not hacker-friendly.

What do ya say?

I AWAIT YOUR GENIUS:

Show me how to automate the regular backup my Evernotes.

:)

After many searches across the web NONE OF YOU TECHNO MASTERS have come up with a good brainless non-techy solution at no cost to backup a person's Evernotes that is easily readable in a format outside of Evernote format. Come on gang .. You can do better. Show me how to backup my Evernotes - without being a techno-web-scientist... Make it layman-friendly, not hacker-friendly.

What do ya say?

I AWAIT YOUR GENIUS:

Well first-off, Vic, no-one here is claiming to be a "TECHNO WIZARD" or a GENIUS.

Second, this is a USERS HELPING OTHER USERS Forum. No-one is getting paid a dime to help any of us.

Not. Even. The. Mods.

As a someone who uses a computer, for ANY reason, nevermind being an Evernote consumer, I would think that learning basic computer skills - such as how the software you choose to use, operates, even if only at it's most basic level. That is incumbant on you and only you.

As someone using the internet, it is also incumbant on your to learn and use basic Netiquette.

True, Evernote provides the forum free to access and use by *all* customers, even free ones like me. And yes, the company itself monitors each and every post. BUT, that does not mean they will stop by whenever WE want them to. Visits from Evernote staff are relatively rare as it is not in their job descriptions, so when they do come by, it's a bonus.

I realize you are "likely" just trying to be funny, but that is not how it's coming across, at least to me. And, as a general rule, I like satirical writing and it's offspring, plain old sarcasm...IF used lightly and with humour. *Not* so much when used as virtual cyber *bludgeon.*

Backing-up your data, not just your Evernote Database is something we should all do. And there are various discussions in several threads on this forum, that offer good advice. I suggest you run a search or two of the whole Forum, locate the various threads available on this topic, and read through them. If you have specific question about anything on these threads, post them in that/those threads.

You see, I too, am a "lay person" when it comes to technology. But I have found that even if my the answers to my question seem glaringly obvious to most, there is always at least one person here - and usually more - that are quite willing to *volunteer* their time to walk me through things. The "trick" is to ask nicely and respectfully.

There is also Evernote's Knowledge Base, which you can accress directly through the company's main website Home Page, as well as countless "How To" videos on YouTube from both Evernote staff and other users (customers).

Good luck.

What do ya say?

I AWAIT YOUR GENIUS:

That is a remarkably aggressive post, in spite of the friendly airs and symbols.

I don't do "brainless".  You don't have to read further.

You are asking two separate and dissimilar things: back up of your Evernote database, and conversion of your Evernote database contents to a form readable without using Evernote.

Backing up your Evernote database is no different than backing up other computer files.  This is not the forum for covering basics of computer use.

Converting your Evernote database contents to a form readable without using Evernote is done via "Evernote ▹ Export Note(s)".  Select HTML.  That is the only option currently available.

Yes it is aggressive at this point, because no one has answers or suggestions and only judgements ... This is not about backing up for geeks who know how to manipulate code or a computer. It's about the other 99 percent of us who just want simple things and have to deal with arrogance (the blindness of someone who thinks they know and use it to hurt another; like the last two people's statements.)

I see you can backup one note at a time, but how to automate on a regular basis 'all' (i repeat: 'all") of my notes to some other server as a backup in case evernotes server ever gets zapped by whatever.

I have asked a simple question and have gotten nothing that directs me to a solution. 

I'll try to keep it simple ... 

Who is coming up with a full automated backup process for evernotes for the layman? 

And if no one is, WHY? What am I missing? This is not rocket science.

Really looking forward to some insights - not insults. 

Kind thanks, Vic 

http://VicDesotelle.com/blog 

Who is coming up with a full automated backup process for evernotes for the layman? 

Hi Vic,

I have already answered your question.  Forcing horses to drink in not something I do for pay, let alone voluntarily.

Very kindly and with earnest wishes for your continued learning,

Kirby.

Vic,

No need to guess.  You told me I haven't helped you.  I did answer your question.  Whether that helps you is out of my hands.  What part of "Backing up your Evernote database is no different than backing up other computer files" confuses you?

Appreciate the kind wishes.  Likewise.

Kirby.

• Level 5

And see, that's the trick. In my case, I have a Windows machine solely to run Evernote backups.

It's doable. IIRC, one paid version of Syncback will backup open files. I'm sure there are others.

Sure. Crashplan is another. Free if you're just backing up once a day between your own computers, portable drives, or friends via friend invite codes.

Other perks: compression, byte differenced deduplication, encryption, versioning (recover the .exb from any desired point in time), and a dead simple interface.

Oh, and the motif is green like Evernotes if you're into that.

Vic,

I don't see where anyone has insulted you and the only aggression I've seen on this thread came from you.

Several people have tried to assist you, despite the way you came charging into this thread. Please, don't make veiled attacks on other users by accusing them - even in a generic, non-specific way as you did at the end of the post I'm quoting - with accusations.

I'm guessing it's my last post you were referring to. I was not trying to be insulting. I was trying to - as nicely as I could manage - that you're *initial* post comes across as insulting, aggressive and condenscending.

I get that you're not tech oriented. Nor am I. And that's okay! People here are generally very helpful and patient explaining things in different ways if a user doesn't quite understand previous responses to their queries. I know this because I've been helped that way a number of times, by several different people.

It seems - in my personal opinion - that you just rejected every suggestion out of hand, as though you decided without even further researching, attempting, or even asking for clarification - every single suggestion offered. And you seem unwilling to search the Forum and the Evernote Knowledge Base, to find the answers you want.

Again, this is a "Users Helping Other Users" forum, *not* an official Evernote Support venue. If that is what you are looking for, then I would suggest submitting a Support Ticket directly to Evernote. How fast you will get a response from them, depends on whether you are a free or paid user.

The below link will take you to a locked Forum Post by gbarry, who is an Evernote employee, explaining what to include in a Support Ticket:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/51807-best-practices-submitting-a-support-ticket/#entry254984

The next link will bring up the actual Support Ticket you can use to ask for assistance or report a problem with your account:

https://evernote.com/contact/support/ticket/

Wordsgood

Yes it is aggressive at this point, because no one has answers or suggestions and only judgements ... This is not about backing up for geeks who know how to manipulate code or a computer. It's about the other 99 percent of us who just want simple things and have to deal with arrogance (the blindness of someone who thinks they know and use it to hurt another; like the last two people's statements.)

I see you can backup one note at a time, but how to automate on a regular basis 'all' (i repeat: 'all") of my notes to some other server as a backup in case evernotes server ever gets zapped by whatever.

I have asked a simple question and have gotten nothing that directs me to a solution.

Kind thanks, Vic

Vic,

I don't see where anyone has insulted you and the only aggression I've seen on this thread came from you.

Several people have tried to assist you, despite the way you came charging into this thread. Please, don't make veiled attacks on other users by accusing them - even in a generic, non-specific way as you did at the end of the post I'm quoting - with accusations.

I'm guessing it's my last post you were referring to. I was not trying to be insulting. I was trying to - as nicely as I could manage - to point out that you're *initial* post comes across as insulting, aggressive and condenscending.

I get that you're not tech oriented. Nor am I. And that's okay! People here are generally very helpful and patient explaining things in different ways if a user doesn't quite understand previous responses to their queries. I know this because I've been helped that way a number of times, by several different people.

It seems - in my personal opinion - that you just rejected every suggestion out of hand, as though you decided without even further researching, attempting, or even asking for clarification - every single suggestion offered without actually considering them. And you seem unwilling to search the Forum and the Evernote Knowledge Base, to find the answers you want. Honestly, your approach seems like you are just looking to have someone do all the work for you, for free.

Again, this is a "Users Helping Other Users" forum, *not* an official Evernote Support venue. If that is what you are looking for, then I would suggest submitting a Support Ticket directly to Evernote. How fast you will get a response from them, depends on whether you are a free or paid user.

The below link will take you to a locked Forum Post by gbarry, who is an Evernote employee, explaining what to include in a Support Ticket:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/51807-best-practices-submitting-a-support-ticket/#entry254984

The next link will bring up the actual Support Ticket you can use to ask for assistance or report a problem with your account:

https://evernote.com/contact/support/ticket/

Wordsgood

Kind thanks, Vic

I can't speak highly enough about CrashPlan. I use that in conjunction with the equally brain-dead-easy Time Machine on my Mac. Both back up my entire Evernote database at regular intervals.

It doesn't get much easier than that. If CrashPlan is too complicated, then I suggest you hire an assistant to take care of this for you. 

I can't speak highly enough about CrashPlan. I use that in conjunction with the equally brain-dead-easy Time Machine on my Mac. Both back up my entire Evernote database at regular intervals.

It doesn't get much easier than that. If CrashPlan is too complicated, then I suggest you hire an assistant to take care of this for you.

• Level 5*

What do ya say?

I AWAIT YOUR GENIUS:

Hi. I don't know if any of these solutions will work, but perhaps they will give you some ideas about the options available.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=962

For option #2, you can just point SpiderOak (Dropbox, SugarSync, or any other service) to your Evernote database (see the second link for directions on where to find it on the Mac). It might take about 5 minutes to set up, but after that, it does everything on its own, and you probably won't have to think about it again. Option #3 is potentially the easiest of all -- just buy an external drive, plug it in, follow the directions on the screen, and your Mac will do the rest.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

• 1 year later...

Hi and welcome to the forums !

You are right to think about backing up your notes.

• Copy your .exb file (this is where all your notes are stored in one file) (to a stick, external drive etc.).
  • Yes, you can export your notes:Right click on a notebook >> Export. Choose the format you want. The ENEX format wil give you a complete XML format of your notes.
  • Highlighting is only available with EN CLEARLY at the moment.
Hth,

Wern

So, just the exb file is all that is needed to be backed up? What about attachments? I see a separate "Attachments" folder that looks like it has all the actual files I've attached.

• Level 5*

The Evernote KB article is referring to a backup that is older than your current EN account.

If you successfully sync all notes, then do a backup/copy of the ../Databases directory, then all you need to do is copy that to your new PC.  No export/import of ENEX is required in that case since the backup and the current account are the same.

I believe all attachments are stored in the EN database (.exb file) in EN Win (different for EN Mac).  The "Attachments" folder is just for temp use when opening an attachment.

See EN KB Article Backing up and Restoring Evernote Data under Windows

JMichael:

I just did a test, and that is exactly what happens. I quite EN, blew away the files under the "Attachments" folder, brought it up again, and any attachment inside a note were still viewable in EN, and as I opened each one, it appeared under the "Attachments" folder. Makes sense. Thank you!

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone,

I want to backup my notes from my android device. Evernote app gives a "sync" option but I don't know where the backup is stored? Kindly tell me so that I can restore my notes back to my new android device.

Thanks

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, marfay said:

Hi everyone,

I want to backup my notes from my android device. Evernote app gives a "sync" option but I don't know where the backup is stored? Kindly tell me so that I can restore my notes back to my new android device.

Thanks

Hi. There is no backup stored anywhere on any device.

Your files are synced to Evernote's servers, where they are stored. They are downloaded onto your mobile device if you select offline sync. There is no need to restore anything. They are automatically downloaded onto your desktop. On your desktop, you can copy the database into another location or export everything as .html to save it somewhere else, if you would like.

Archived