(Archived) Best way to progress forward?

Zaylor

Idea

I am using Evernote 5 on Mac.

My Evernote experience has become increasingly slow.

I am adding more and more PDFs to my account in order to reduce the paper in my life. Right now I am just using a scanner app on my iphone. Most of the PDFs I generate are 2-7 megabytes.

I am worried about my Evernote experience getting even slower if I stay my course. Do you guys have any recommendations for me? I want to put everything in Evernote, but I DON't want to have everything in and find out that it has become too slow to even use.

I am aware that there are similar threads. I would like this one to cast an eye to the future: Do you see changes coming in the way Evernote is going to handle big databases? Or would I be better off putting my digital self in another service? Creating a separate Evernote account?

Thanks for your help

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I am using Evernote 5 on Mac.

My Evernote experience has become increasingly slow.

I am adding more and more PDFs to my account in order to reduce the paper in my life. Right now I am just using a scanner app on my iphone. Most of the PDFs I generate are 2-7 megabytes.

I am worried about my Evernote experience getting even slower if I stay my course. Do you guys have any recommendations for me? I want to put everything in Evernote, but I DON't want to have everything in and find out that it has become too slow to even use.

I am aware that there are similar threads. I would like this one to cast an eye to the future: Do you see changes coming in the way Evernote is going to handle big databases? Or would I be better off putting my digital self in another service? Creating a separate Evernote account?

Thanks for your help

Hi. Welcome to the forums! If you are aware of other threads, then you might have seen mine on this topic: http://discussion.ev...ce/#entry173506 These are my thoughts on how to optimize your experience with the app that currently exists. I don't talk much about the future of Evernote there. I think most people using the app will not run into the problems I did, but if you are serious about lifelogging or research with a lot of data (for example, I easily had 3,000 PDFs or more in Evernote about this time last year, and would have had double or triple that amount by now), then you'll want to consider some of these things.

In the future? I have high hopes for Evernote and I am very excited about its potential to radically change and improve our lives. It is easily one of the most compelling applications available out there (at least, from my perspective), and it is getting better and better every day (I am especially happy to see the related notes feature in Mac), so I would strongly recommend finding a way to work it into your own system. It isn't perfect, to be sure, but it is ambitious, and far ahead of any competing options.

• Level 5*

So you recommend I strip text and just paste that in the note pane?

For me and my particular situation this has been a great solution. For example, a lot of my PDFs are academic journal articles. I am not going to read them in Evernote. If I do read them, I will open up the PDF in another app (Adobe on the Mac, maybe iAnnotate on the iPad). However, I do want to be able to search them, especially if the articles are related to my research topic. So, I just strip out the text (Automator on Mac does this pretty easily) and drag the resulting text files into Evernote to make the notes. If I decide I want to read the article, then the title is the same, so I just go to my digital library that has all my PDFs and I pull it out of the there. The same concept works for receipts, scanned book chapters, etc. One thing to remember is that you will need to OCR the files yourself. Here are a few tips: https://www.evernote...ab85e8d1f58f252

Archived