(Archived) Evernote 5.0.5

Jackolicious

Idea

• Level 5

Hi everyone,

We just shipped a wonderful update. Details are below with some highlights for various forum users (you know who you are). Get it here! http://evernote.com/...ile=EvernoteMac

Hope you like it!

New Features

- Shortcuts are synced with your Evernote account

- Searches can be scoped to "My Notes" which excludes shared Notes

- Business users can scope searches to "Personal Notes" or "Business Notes"

- Notes clipped using Evernote Clearly are beautifully styled

- AppleScript can create checkboxes in ENML

- In Expanded Card View, pressing Return opens Notes

- New button to jump to a Note's Notebook from the Note Editor

- Command-click to multi-select Tags in the Sidebar

Other improvements

- Large accounts sync much more reliably

- Tags from Joined Notebooks now appear correctly

- Corrected image and link pasting issues

- PDF printing is more reliable

- Fixed Snow Leopard Sidebar visual glitches

- Fixed crash when taking screenshots

- Korean image indexing is greatly improved

- Reduced CPU/memory usage

- Fixes to Saved Searches

- Various fixes for Evernote Business

- Improved handling of Tags in AppleScript

70 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Onthewire and GM, selective sync in desktop clients are somewhat of an inevitability. However, there are a host of usability issues that have made this impossible in the past and will continue to hinder progress in the near-term future. For example, searching across all your personal, shared, and business notebooks is not possible in any mobile or web (selective syncing) client (Clever included... great product btw). However, as more users' databases grow in size, the situation will become more important to solve. Just know that you're not alone in this issue, we Evernote employees are in this boat too, and are looking for the best way to help Evernote manage users' information as their libraries grow.

Thank you so much for recognizing the issue, pointing out the current limitations, explaining why they are there, and telling us you are working on the issue. It's a huge relief to know this, because otherwise we don't know if the very real issue is even being considered, and it can be frustrating (especially at the outrageous prices Apple charges for SSD upgrades!). This post made my day! Now, on to bugs that did not make my day...

• Level 5*

BUG: Note Inexplicably Moved to Trash

- I don't know why, but it ended up in the Trash. As far as I know, I did not press anything. I spent a lot of time looking for it, and thought it had been lost (not the content, mind you, but the entire note). This would have been a first for me. After searching through the Activity Logs, I found it in the Trash. Why?

2013-01-30 06:43:31 sync [ENSyncEngine] INFO: Syncing note: 7988ff52-32e1-41fa-91bb-271b8160398c '130130 エバーノートの不具合:クリアー出来ない'

2013-01-30 06:43:43 main [ENSearchFieldMenuController] DEBUG: visibleSearchString: [intitle:エバーノートの不具合]

2013-01-30 06:43:50 main [ENAccountStore] INFO: Moving note to trash: '130130 エバーノートの不具合:クリアー出来ない' 7988ff52-32e1-41fa-91bb-271b8160398c

2013-01-30 06:43:51 [ENNoteReIndexOperation] INFO: Reindexing note: '130130 エバーノートの不具合:クリアー出来ない' [7988ff52-32e1-41fa-91bb-271b8160398c]

- The irony, in this case, is that it is a bug report I am preparing for you. LOL. The joke is on me :)

• Level 5

JMichael, raw numbers of crashes mean little when you're growing users as fast as we are. A useful metric is crashes per daily active user (and yes, we're on that boat :) )

Boatguy, it's completely up to you when you decide to upgrade.

Onthewire and GM, selective sync in desktop clients are somewhat of an inevitability. However, there are a host of usability issues that have made this impossible in the past and will continue to hinder progress in the near-term future. For example, searching across all your personal, shared, and business notebooks is not possible in any mobile or web (selective syncing) client (Clever included... great product btw). However, as more users' databases grow in size, the situation will become more important to solve. Just know that you're not alone in this issue, we Evernote employees are in this boat too, and are looking for the best way to help Evernote manage users' information as their libraries grow.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the reply. Nice to know I am not alone.

I think your right…reviewing the forums, one would have to assume that most EV users do not have that many notes so do not encounter these issues.

With over 9000 files in my library, the recent updates on both Mac and iOS have left me somewhat disillusioned.

Having attempted and failed to re install the Mac Client (because I couldn't) and I now use Clever HD on the iPad in preference. Great product

I think however EV recognise that V5 is going to take some bedding in and I will do everything I can to help as I do love the environment when one takes into account browser plugs ins, 3rd party product integration etc.

To be fair, Apple had a similar behemoth until recently ….called iTunes.

Offline Notebooks on the Mac would make a massive difference … with the option to DL attachments (similar to iCloud) on demand on a case by case basis similar to an IMAP server.

I don't know if I'm a power user….however I am a committed/professional Cloud user and having used both Google Docs and EV for many years, finally committed full time to EV about a year ago for my day to day work.

Not being able to re install it has been frustrating. Thank god for Gmail and Pocket!

Maybe Evernote should use some of that VC money and buy the latter..or at least the dev team!!

Im sure they could fix both the Mac and Web clients which I would ahve to say have set a new benchmark for this style of curation tool.

I don't think you ought to be having any problems with the reinstall. Have you tried the link I suggested? If that doesn't work, then I hope you'll consider a support ticket (see my signature below), because that would be a serious problem about which the developers should be told.

Thanks for the reply. Nice to know I am not alone.

I think your right…reviewing the forums, one would have to assume that most EV users do not have that many notes so do not encounter these issues.

With over 9000 files in my library, the recent updates on both Mac and iOS have left me somewhat disillusioned.

Having attempted and failed to re install the Mac Client (because I couldn't) and I now use Clever HD on the iPad in preference. Great product

I think however EV recognise that V5 is going to take some bedding in and I will do everything I can to help as I do love the environment when one takes into account browser plugs ins, 3rd party product integration etc.

To be fair, Apple had a similar behemoth until recently ….called iTunes.

Offline Notebooks on the Mac would make a massive difference … with the option to DL attachments (similar to iCloud) on demand on a case by case basis similar to an IMAP server.

I don't know if I'm a power user….however I am a committed/professional Cloud user and having used both Google Docs and EV for many years, finally committed full time to EV about a year ago for my day to day work.

Not being able to re install it has been frustrating. Thank god for Gmail and Pocket!

Maybe Evernote should use some of that VC money and buy the latter..or at least the dev team!!

Im sure they could fix both the Mac and Web clients which I would ahve to say have set a new benchmark for this style of curation tool.

• Level 5*

I recently had the mis fortune of losing my trusty Mac PowerBook to a Processor failure so have retired it for good. :-(

As a result I moved over to my partners MacBookAir. (actually it was my Air but I gave it to her to use :-)

As someone one who has been committed (and consult in) the Cloud for business customers, I was up and running in no time, Gmail, Skydrive, Pocket etc…

Didn't miss a beat!

All except for Evernote I'm afraid which has proven to be a real drama.

With nearly 9000 notes in my Account, my DB is now over 5GB's in size!!. Trying to reinstall took all day, required the full time attention of my processor and after 2 x attempts I gave up.

I also tried the web client, but this seems unusually slow and barely usable??

So question:

Have you guys discussed/explored the idea of "Offline Notebooks" on the Mac Client?

I looked through the forums and cant see any reference to it...other than iOS of course.

I many respects, Evernote on the Mac is NOT a Cloud tool and like the AppleMail client has become a bit of a behemoth.

(ie I dumped this for Gmail years ago for the same reason)

While many users are demanding more and more features,... personally and as someone who has used Evernote from the early days, I think less is more.

Clever HD for example on iOS is fabulous and a snappy example of how Evernote should work as a client from a speed perspective.

Pocket on the Mac by comparison (and I have a massive library in here as well) reloads from scratch in no time.

The web client is brilliant.

I love Evernote and it is now a major part of my working life as you can see for the number of documents I have in my account.

In many respects it is now my "Finder".

But I have to be honest, ... Ive struggled for the data management side of things of late.

Interested in any thoughts/feedback?

Hi. I've written repeatedly on these forums pleading for offline notebooks on the Mac. You haven't seen my eloquent writings on the topic? At one point, my Evernote database became so large that I had to remove all but a handful of my attachments (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/29245-how-to-optimize-your-evernote-experience/#entry173506), and reduce my database to a relatively "small" 5 GB.

Well, Evernote has said the feature is inevitable (Evernote podcast 28 http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2011/06/30/evernote-podcast-28-gnarly-dude/ 40:25-43:28), but at a 100-year company, I don't know what kind of timeline that means :)

As for Evernote, have you tried the direct download from Evernote instead of the appstore one?

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/16062-uninstalling-everrnote-for-mac-os-x/#entry173494

I recently had the mis fortune of losing my trusty Mac PowerBook to a Processor failure so have retired it for good. :-(

As a result I moved over to my partners MacBookAir. (actually it was my Air but I gave it to her to use :-)

As someone one who has been committed (and consult in) the Cloud for business customers, I was up and running in no time, Gmail, Skydrive, Pocket etc…

Didn't miss a beat!

All except for Evernote I'm afraid which has proven to be a real drama.

With nearly 9000 notes in my Account, my DB is now over 5GB's in size!!. Trying to reinstall took all day, required the full time attention of my processor and after 2 x attempts I gave up.

I also tried the web client, but this seems unusually slow and barely usable??

So question:

Have you guys discussed/explored the idea of "Offline Notebooks" on the Mac Client?

I looked through the forums and cant see any reference to it...other than iOS of course.

I many respects, Evernote on the Mac is NOT a Cloud tool and like the AppleMail client has become a bit of a behemoth.

(ie I dumped this for Gmail years ago for the same reason)

While many users are demanding more and more features,... personally and as someone who has used Evernote from the early days, I think less is more.

Clever HD for example on iOS is fabulous and a snappy example of how Evernote should work as a client from a speed perspective.

Pocket on the Mac by comparison (and I have a massive library in here as well) reloads from scratch in no time.

The web client is brilliant.

I love Evernote and it is now a major part of my working life as you can see for the number of documents I have in my account.

In many respects it is now my "Finder".

But I have to be honest, ... Ive struggled for the data management side of things of late.

Interested in any thoughts/feedback?

5.0.5 is by far our most stable release. I'd give it a shot boatguy :)

As I'm sure I've made clear in the past, I'm not interested in being an EN tester. I'm waiting for "stable", not "most stable".

But for the sake of discussion and giving you a fair listen, what does EN feel are the compelling new features of v5.05 over v3.3 that would make me put my data and time at risk? I've read the product announcement and used v5.0 long enough to form my own opinion, but what do you feel are the few knock out features that make risking data loss a good trade off?

• Level 5*

Raw number of crashes or bugs wouldn't tell you much. Number of crashes / number of daily users would... but I can't share those numbers :/

Not sure what you mean about "raw number of crashes or bugs", but the number of logged, reproducable, confirmed bugs for each release would speak volumes. If you guys are not looking at this statistic, you are missing the boat, IMO.

• Level 5*

5.0.5 is by far our most stable release.

Really??? Are you serious???

Jack, maybe you weren't around over a year ago. Back in those days the releases in ALL Evernote clients (Mac, Win), were much more stable and had far fewer bugs. I first noticed the increasing number of major bugs in each new release starting somewhere around March 2012.

Please prove me wrong. Just post the number of bugs reported for each release starting June 2011.

• Level 5

Thanks for the bug reports.

This is six releases and it's not yet as stable as the version that it "upgraded". Was there a change in engineering management at EN or a mass departure of engineers? Something went horribly wrong with v5 for the Mac. I'm guessing it was a total rewrite so for all practical purposes it was v1.0. Features were removedand it was overall destabilized.

To address your concerns briefly: Mac v5 wasn't a rewrite. It was built on top of the existing codebase and it repaired a staggering number of issues. Our engineering team is larger than it was by a year ago and we haven't had any turnover (no weird knowledge transfer issues). Finally, our support requests are down, along with are our sync errors and crash reports.

5.0.5 is by far our most stable release. I'd give it a shot boatguy :)

I am appalled at the number of major bugs that Evernote continues to allow with each new release/update.

There was a time, over a year ago, that we all welcomed new releases, and updated quickly with confidence.

Unfortunately, I now have had to put Evernote in the same class as Microsoft:

• Always assume there will be major bugs with each release
  • Wait for at least weeks for other users to try new release, and report bugs/issues
  • Do NOT make an update unless I have a compelling reason to do so, and there are no bugs reported that impact my workflow.

I completely agree. This is six releases and it's not yet as stable as the version that it "upgraded".

Was there a change in engineering management at EN or a mass departure of engineers? Something went horribly wrong with v5 for the Mac. I'm guessing it was a total rewrite so for all practical purposes it was v1.0. Features were removedand it was overall destabilized. Maybe all the energy is going into the iOS, Windows 8 and Android versions. The latest iOS client is quite nice and was a real improvement over the previous version

Fortunately the server side technology is solid (or so it seems) and v3.3 is also very stable.

Today I found a bug in shortcut sync. The sync works well between two Macs until I switch to a second account and back. The shortcuts go back to their state before sync. After disabling sync, proceeding a sync, enable sync and proceeding another sync shortcuts are in the right state. I can do this several times with the same effect. Every time I switch to the second account, I lose the shortcut sync for the first account.

• Level 5*

I am appalled at the number of major bugs that Evernote continues to allow with each new release/update.

There was a time, over a year ago, that we all welcomed new releases, and updated quickly with confidence.

• Wait for at least weeks for other users to try new release, and report bugs/issues
  • Do NOT make an update unless I have a compelling reason to do so, and there are no bugs reported that impact my workflow.

The only major bug I have encountered was data loss, and that was in an earlier release (). That was pretty distressing, but I am happy to say that I was able to retrieve my data. This particular release doesn't seem to have any "major" bugs, though plenty of irritating ones (I regularly lose focus on a note -- maybe once an hour or so). If you are looking for a compelling reason to update (I don't know what version you are running now), I'd definitely recommend the related notes feature. I'm quite pleased with it.

• Level 5*

• Level 5*

True. There are too few sort options in Apple stuff -- far fewer in OSX than Windows, and on iOS we were down to just two at one point. I think there is just not a priority on these features, and perhaps if you could make a case for them, then you could persuade the developers.

The search field in iOS is too small, but that might be a topic better taken up in an iOS thread :)

Hi Guys,

I'm one of those that retro fitted back to 3.0.3, mostly because of 5.0.3's lack of true support for Saved Searches, like a scrollbar so that I can see all my Saved Searches...

I noticed "fixes to Saved Searches" and thought I'd give 5.0.5 a try, assuming a scrollbar was put in place.

Ha! No.

No scrollbar for Saved Searches, still?!

Luckily I saved 3.0.3, I'm going right back. See you guys around version 7 or so.

David

Ditto.  And the comments on 5.06beta don't look encouraging either.

Hi Guys,

I'm one of those that retro fitted back to 3.0.3, mostly because of 5.0.3's lack of true support for Saved Searches, like a scrollbar so that I can see all my Saved Searches...

I noticed "fixes to Saved Searches" and thought I'd give 5.0.5 a try, assuming a scrollbar was put in place.

Ha! No.

No scrollbar for Saved Searches, still?!

Luckily I saved 3.0.3, I'm going right back. See you guys around version 7 or so.

David

In the 5.0.4 to 5.0.5 migration, tags from shared notebooks suddenly appeared in my tag list. They're drowning my own tags in noise. I fear this was deliberate, as Jackolicious listed

"Tags from Joined Notebooks now appear correctly"

as "one of the other improvements"

Can somebody comment on whether this change was actually deliberate? And whether we can expect it on IOS?

It seems nutty to me: as Jackolicious pointed out, a new feature in 5.0.5 was

'Searches can be scoped to "My Notes" which excludes shared Notes'

Which is great. But if searches can be scoped that way, and the 'all notes' list can be scoped to '"My Notes", why does the tag list continue to include now irrelevant shared tags?

• Level 5*

Going by these forums at least I don't think you're the only Mac/Apple user who wishes for more of these crucial things. :)

It's hard to say. The developers listen, and they often implement suggestions, but it has been tough to convince them about a few things. I am trying to whittle down their resistance, but I can't tell yet if it is working :)

• Level 5*

True. There are too few sort options in Apple stuff -- far fewer in OSX than Windows, and on iOS we were down to just two at one point. I think there is just not a priority on these features, and perhaps if you could make a case for them, then you could persuade the developers.

To be honest, I don't think we should have to make a case for something as basic as sort options that are available in the nearest comparable client.

I guess I just don't understand why the Apple teams feel we don't need many sort options and the Windows team feels we do. At least up to now, Windows still being version 4.x.x.

It seems reasonable to me to ask for these features (the more customizability and tools available for different use cases, the better), but so does (the apparent) Evernote design philosophy of paring down the interface to focus on features most users actually use. The problem, for me at least, is that most users are not me :)

Anyhow, the teams are different, so design objectives / philosophies are too. Somehow (for whatever reason) the Windows developers seem to "get" my workflow, and even the location / method of changing sorts is just right. For other people, though, the Mac one is preferable. I won't say which one is better, because that is subjective, but I sure wish I could convince the developers to err on the side of more rather than fewer features, especially with crucial things like search and sort.

To be honest, I don't think we should have to make a case for something as basic as sort options that are available in the nearest comparable client.

I guess I just don't understand why the Apple teams feel we don't need them and the Windows team feels we do. At least up to now, Windows still being version 4.x.x.

Still happily using v3.3 and just moved my other team members back to v3.3 as well.

Looks like it may take a few more months to get v5 stabilized, then another six months to get back the features that were removed; all just to get a new graphics design?

Is this really progress?

Monkey - are you on the EN payroll, or just very generous with your time?

The 128GB iPAd is $800. The 11" MBA is $1100. How is that half?

Naturally, I agree with you about the need for a better iPad app, but to be honest, I actually don't yearn for so many more features. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't complain if it could do X,Y, and Z, but I'd rather see it do X really well. The iPad simply doesn't have the OS or specs to handle too many features. It would be better if they target some of the key ones.

OK, so I exaggerated a bit :) but what I meant was the principle that the iPad is becoming a more compelling alternative and I therefore find it hard to understand why the iPad version is still the weakest of all EN versions. I know of course that due to OS limitations it can never be as feature rich as the desktop versions. Adding too many features may even be counter productive if it slowed the app down too much, but there seems no good reason why its functionality shouldn't be at least a bit closer to the Android version. For example, why are there so few sort options and why is the search box so small in EN 5? It seems more cumbersome than it needs to be.

• Level 5*

with advent of SSD's, disk space is also becoming a premium, many MacBook Air users such as myself for example, have only 60GB versions (by design) with less usuable space than an iPad.

That's another reason why we also need a more powerful and feature rich iPad app. The retina iPad 128GB is being released next week for half the price of an 11" 128GB MacBook Air. Clever is a great "viewing app" but doesn't have offline notebooks. And, of course, no desktop version.

?

The 128GB iPAd is $800. The 11" MBA is $1100. How is that half?

Naturally, I agree with you about the need for a better iPad app, but to be honest, I actually don't yearn for so many more features. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't complain if it could do X,Y, and Z, but I'd rather see it do X really well. The iPad simply doesn't have the OS or specs to handle too many features. It would be better if they target some of the key ones.

with advent of SSD's, disk space is also becoming a premium, many MacBook Air users such as myself for example, have only 60GB versions (by design) with less usuable space than an iPad.

That's another reason why we also need a more powerful and feature rich iPad app. The retina iPad 128GB is being released next week for half the price of an 11" 128GB MacBook Air. Clever is a great "viewing app" but doesn't have offline notebooks. And, of course, no desktop version.

Thanks for that and thanks GM for the link to the direct DL.

Making better progress with this over the Appstore version, although since my last post, the download of my data has been running all night and is still going...I suspect looking at progress that there is a few hours to go yet:-(

Great to hear that it is being thought about at least and yes I would have been surprised if EV staffers were not in the same position as one assumes you are all"power users"too...:-)

However as a SW designer/architect myself, one has to think that you guys are approaching this the wrong way.

While you seem to been inundated with an endless steam of "feature requests" of which I've been guilty of myself, whats needed here is an "Evernote Viewer" app., possibly a Control Bar evoked tool similar to say Smally, which is an interesting idea if you haven't seen it? Still needs some work, but shows promise.

Having to manage therefore 5 or 6GB of local data for 1 x App is simply untenable, iCloud solved this for iTunes of course.

Ive also been very impressed with Pocket's Mac client which whilst minalistic in terms of features, is fast and quick to load, first sync etc.

This is what I think is needed for Evernote in the form of a Companion Viewer app.

Food for thought.

Have you tried going back to v3.3? You can find it on the web, or email me from the link on my web site (www.newmorning.info) and I'll send you a copy. I've removed v5 on several Macs with AppDelete, then reinstalled v3.3 with no problems. Certainly it will take awhile to download 5GB, but if it worked before in v3.3, it should work again.

• Level 5*

BUG: Clear Button not Working

- The Clear button is not working again. Here is a video along with my activity log.

- I don't know how to reproduce this, but the first step is a search to filter notes. Then, the Clear button stops working. I try another search, and the same thing happens. If I click on Notes and then do the search again, the Clear button will start functioning again.

- How can I avoid this? CMD + R doesn't seem to help. Surely, this isn't expected behavior. I just want to get back to my notes and do another search. Is there a keyboard shortcut I am missing for this?

- The bug was previously reported as https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/9f7d0037-ba91-4147-b118-79288710e8ae/abddff806c68948d8cd7e0a7eb91c305

- Here is the movie:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/7988ff52-32e1-41fa-91bb-271b8160398c/fa3bdcb522049b98d00d826044fdaa3b

• Level 5*

BUG: Carriage Return After an Image

- If I have three or four images on top of one another, with no lines in-between, then hitting a carriage return on the top one will take me down to the bottom of the note. If I drag the second image out of the column of images and put it next to another one, for example, then I can hit enter just fine. How did this (admittedly) rare use case come up? I took a bunch of screen shots and dragged them all at once into a note. You probably wouldn't notice the bug if you were only working with one image at a time.

• Level 5

@GM, I'm not able to reproduce any searching-related issues like that. Also, what is CMD-R?

@trumpet, links are getting looked at again. If you cmd-click several tags and no notes show up, it means that no notes are tagged with those two tags.

Links are still not working in this update, whenever you copy/paste a URL it displays as plain text instead of a link (http://discussion.ev...cally-in-notes/)

They are working fine for me...

Not for me :(

Thanks for the video! That makes it very clear, and I followed the exact same steps, even down to making a new note with list view. I had no problem at all. So, I thought maybe it has something to do with the browser, and I tried it with Safari (I don't have Firefox installed). Guess what --- it didn't work. I think this bug has something to do with which browser you are using to copy/paste the link. I know. Weird, right? But, that's what I am seeing on my end. Give a try to Chrome and I bet it will work for you :)

Obviously, this is a bug, and "use Chrome" is not a fix, but it is a workaround for now.

Yes, thanks - it works in Chrome for me too! Need to get FF and Safari working - very strange as it wasn't an issue in previous versions of Evernote.

1. As others have noted: links pasted from Safari are still not activating and remain plain text.

2. As I, and others, have noted several times with earlier versions of EN 5: individual tags are not highlighted in the sidebar when selected. PLEASE can you fix this?

• Level 5*

BUG(S): Clear Button Broken

I am calling this a broken "Clear" button, but there is just a whole lot of weird stuff going on. I have not typed a single word into the search field, but all of the stuff below is happening.

(1) The Clear Button is not working (CMD + R also failing)

(2) Evernote is searching in my notes for "podcast" even though the search field ought to be clear

(3) A note in another window is mysteriously hiding behind the Evernote main window (where did that come from?)

(4) When I closed and then re-opened Evernote, it shows the all-too familiar "0 Notes" screen

(5) I had to quit Evernote and try again, because nothing would work, and now it wants me to login (why?)

(6) Now it is still looking for podcasts. The good news is that the search is actually in the search field (the one I reported as failing in the previous post), and now it is returning the correct results, but...

(7) A few seconds later I am now back at #4 with 0 Notes...

I think I am just going to uninstall and try again, because something terrible is happening, and I have to move on with my work! I'll use my Windows install to upload everything in a second, and I'll post a link to the screenshots.

[EDIT 1:] I crashed my Windows install. What is going on? Well, that could have something to do with Parallels or another factor. Let's hope it is not just my account...

[EDIT 2:] Screenshots http://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/9f7d0037-ba91-4147-b118-79288710e8ae/abddff806c68948d8cd7e0a7eb91c305

• Level 5*

BUG: Searches not Working

I am embarrassed to say it, but I don't understand what is wrong with my searches. Just now, I searched for (intitle:listening podcasts). That should have returned a few dozen notes, but it says 9,185 -- all of my notes. OK. I press CMD+R to clear the filters (right?), and try again. Now it says 0. This has actually been a problem for a while, but I figured it had something to do with me, and I kept putting off reporting it, because I wanted to spend some time going through all the steps. I don't think it is me after all, because I use Windows a lot, and never run into this. I can't remember one time I have gotten 0 on a search.

I am kind of suspecting this might have something to do with that bug I reported about the disappearing notes (https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/b1a2f0e2-c5d1-4009-834a-8d7a747efce3/cc15f2c42454bf8a1ef11c1977479494). Is it possible that something in the program is looking at the search field at certain intervals, and somehow applying something in the background that we don't know about, and that is suddenly making all of my notes stop matching (in the case of the disappearing notes) or making the searches fail (in the case of this bug)? Please do reconsider bringing back the search explanations :)

• Level 5*

Links are still not working in this update, whenever you copy/paste a URL it displays as plain text instead of a link (http://discussion.ev...cally-in-notes/)

They are working fine for me...

Not for me :(

Thanks for the video! That makes it very clear, and I followed the exact same steps, even down to making a new note with list view. I had no problem at all. So, I thought maybe it has something to do with the browser, and I tried it with Safari (I don't have Firefox installed). Guess what --- it didn't work. I think this bug has something to do with which browser you are using to copy/paste the link. I know. Weird, right? But, that's what I am seeing on my end. Give a try to Chrome and I bet it will work for you :)

Obviously, this is a bug, and "use Chrome" is not a fix, but it is a workaround for now.

• Level 5*

@GM, I'm not able to reproduce any searching-related issues like that. Also, what is CMD-R?

@trumpet, links are getting looked at again. If you cmd-click several tags and no notes show up, it means that no notes are tagged with those two tags.

I hope I won't be able to reproduce those problems either! However, I have seen some before, so I will probably see them again. As you can see in the screenshots, there is clearly something going wrong -- nothing in the search field, but my notes being filtered. As for Command + R, isn't this the command to clear the search? If not, then I am deeply confused! Well, my initial sync will be finishing soon -- my notes are all downloaded and processing, so I should be up and running again on the Mac this afternoon.

No idea what that is. Is it happening often?

Weird, right? Even if my chubby palms hit the trackpad area, it wouldn't produce that, so it was kind of a surprise. It only happened once. I haven't had it downloaded very long, so not many opportunities to produce it, though. I'll keep an eye on it.

It happened several times on my mba 2011 with mountain lion. But it's on evernote 5.04.

And evernote hang after the new window open. I forgot to report.

• Level 5*

No idea what that is. Is it happening often?

Weird, right? Even if my chubby palms hit the trackpad area, it wouldn't produce that, so it was kind of a surprise. It only happened once. I haven't had it downloaded very long, so not many opportunities to produce it, though. I'll keep an eye on it.

• Level 5*

BUG: Randomly Opening New Window

When editing a note in OSX 10.8.2 on a 2012 Macbook Air using Evernote Version 5.0.5 (400808), one of the notes I was editing suddenly and inexplicably opened up in a new window.Did I press something wrong? If so, what could it have been?

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/ce0a90c8-c7b9-4fc5-a03e-6999aa7cdd57/242f0eac530e9c607432fa831e09989f

• Level 5*

And, again.

2013-01-25 22:58:44 [ENNoteReIndexOperation] INFO: Reindexing note: '130111 journal friday' [4c3ac145-3ee2-4577-8dfd-4d2738aac340]

2013-01-25 22:58:49 [ENRelatedNotesOperation] INFO: -[ENRelatedNotesOperation main]: note with ID ((null)) seems to have gone away

OK. I think I have narrowed it down to one particular action that will reliably produce the error. If I have the intitle search filter on, and I change titles, then everything will disappear at some point, and I will end up with a blank screen. It may not happen the first time, or the tenth time, but it will definitely happen. The re-indexing goes OK, but after that, the error occurs (I am watching the Activity Log while this happens), and the related notes message will pop up. Given that I did not have this error before the related notes feature, I have never encountered it on Windows, and the message comes in tandem with the error, I am going to guess that when it searches for related notes, it doesn't have the note title data to work with, and this throws the error.

By the way, I haven't changed anything in the title that would make the note fail to meet the criteria. It is just throwing the error every time with any change.

• Level 5*

BUG: Evernote Sync Not Working

• In OSX 10.8.2 on a 2012 Macbook Air using Evernote Version 5.0.5 Beta (400788), the client says I am syncing, but the sync icon is not moving, and the sync status says no activity. Searches do not work, but I can open notes and edit them, or make new ones. Clicking the share URL for this note seems to have made the sync start, but the sync icon at the top never moved. See video below.
  • Interestingly, I seem to have lost the ability to make any rich text changes to notes while Evernote is in this state. The bar is gone, so I cannot change fonts or anything else.
  • Forcing Evernote to quit and restarting seems to have solved the problem.

https://www.evernote...a326775da9ca7d9

• Level 5*

Did something bad happen?

Retrospective (this time) to when note links broke. Trusted the famous "It'll be fixed in (5.0.5)" promise, but...fail

Sorry to hear that :(

Did you mean to say that the note links are broken? Or, by retrospective, did you mean to say that they were not working in the past? Mine are working OK.

• Level 5*

Beta testers have two copies, the release version and beta version.

General release users have one copy, the beta version.

Why, after all of these years, do I click that damn update button before reading the posts?

Did something bad happen?

• Level 5*

I have recorded the error along with the Activity Log. This is not the only situation when the error occurs -- it happens quite often when I am editing the note content -- but this is the error I could consistently reproduce and get recorded. Make sure to scroll to the bottom of the note for the movie.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/b1a2f0e2-c5d1-4009-834a-8d7a747efce3/cc15f2c42454bf8a1ef11c1977479494

• Level 5*
Monkey - are you on the EN payroll, or just very generous with your time?

I ought to be on the payroll, right :) But, I am not.

Seriously, though, I spend so much time here because I am kind of a notetaking nut, and I've found Evernote to be one of the best all-around services that I have ever used for my notes, so I want to help others get the most out of it, and (more selfishly) make the case for features that I want to see developers change or introduce.

• Level 5*

There is my disappearing note bug again, and I noticed this in the Activity Log right when it disappeared. Is it the related notes feature doing this to me?

2013-01-25 20:41:13 [ENNoteReIndexOperation] INFO: Reindexing note: '130524 ライフログ:金曜日' [62a076ce-5d0e-4847-83bb-13d5adf7a071]

2013-01-25 20:41:19 [ENRelatedNotesOperation] INFO: -[ENRelatedNotesOperation main]: note with ID ((null)) seems to have gone away

----------

Again. This time I was changing the title of one note, and that's when everything disappeared.

2013-01-25 22:52:41 [ENNoteReIndexOperation] INFO: Reindexing note: '130119 journal saturday' [0c47c73a-3946-42a3-b228-2d560f24906a]

2013-01-25 22:52:46 [ENRelatedNotesOperation] INFO: -[ENRelatedNotesOperation main]: note with ID ((null)) seems to have gone away

• Level 5*

BUG(?): Database Size

- Somehow, my database has ballooned yet again. I just erased Evernote from my computer and reinstalled with an initial sync and it is now at 4.35 GB, when the total amount of uploaded data is only 908.6 MB. That is more than four times the size of what I have uploaded. The typeAhead.index folder alone is 1.15 GB. On Windows, the ballooning is a little less drastic, and the Evernote folder only takes up 3.54 GB of space.It would be great if Evernote could reduce the size of this database a bit. Alternatively (this is what I would really like to see), we could have feature parity with the mobile clients and use the offline/online sync toggle for our notebooks. This would greatly relieve the pressure on those of use using Macbook Airs with relatively little storage. I would also stop complaining about large databases, and maybe I could downscale to a 64GB model of the MBA next refresh cycle :)

• Level 5

If you cmd-click several tags and no notes show up, it means that no notes are tagged with those two tags.

So you're saying that there is an implied "and" when multiple tags are selected, not an implied "or". To satisfy a search where TagA and TagB are selected, the note must have BOTH TagA and TagB.

That is correct.

Hi. I just updated to the newest version and now I can no longer drag PDFs into Evernote. All I get is the little "Processing" slider at the bottom and it doesn't move.

UPDATE: It is working but the processing is very very slow. Took over 5 minutes to import a 1-page PDF.

Antonio

• Level 5*

Disappearing bug again (I'd say this is the tenth time or so today I've lost a not while editing). So, here is my activity log from the minute that it happened. Does this "2013-01-25 15:19:57 [ENRelatedNotesOperation] INFO: -[ENRelatedNotesOperation main]: note with ID ((null)) seems to have gone away" mean anything?

2013-01-25 15:19:14 [ENConnectivityMonitor] DEBUG: reachability result: 65538

2013-01-25 15:19:14 [ENConnectivityMonitor] INFO: reachability result: OK

2013-01-25 15:19:14 thmb [ENNoteThumbnailManager] DEBUG: Generating thumbnail for note: '130125 研究ノート' [ff7f40ea-9589-46fa-b198-1ae2b7664249]

2013-01-25 15:19:14 [ENNoteReIndexOperation] INFO: Reindexing note: '130125 研究ノート' [ff7f40ea-9589-46fa-b198-1ae2b7664249]

2013-01-25 15:19:24 [ENConnectivityMonitor] DEBUG: reachability result: 65538

2013-01-25 15:19:24 [ENConnectivityMonitor] INFO: reachability result: OK

2013-01-25 15:19:24 thmb [ENNoteThumbnailManager] DEBUG: Generating thumbnail for note: '130125 研究ノート' [ff7f40ea-9589-46fa-b198-1ae2b7664249]

2013-01-25 15:19:24 [ENNoteReIndexOperation] INFO: Reindexing note: '130125 研究ノート' [ff7f40ea-9589-46fa-b198-1ae2b7664249]

2013-01-25 15:19:41 [ENConnectivityMonitor] DEBUG: reachability result: 65538

2013-01-25 15:19:41 [ENConnectivityMonitor] INFO: reachability result: OK

2013-01-25 15:19:41 thmb [ENNoteThumbnailManager] DEBUG: Generating thumbnail for note: '130125 研究ノート' [ff7f40ea-9589-46fa-b198-1ae2b7664249]

2013-01-25 15:19:41 [ENNoteReIndexOperation] INFO: Reindexing note: '130125 研究ノート' [ff7f40ea-9589-46fa-b198-1ae2b7664249]

2013-01-25 15:19:51 [ENConnectivityMonitor] DEBUG: reachability result: 65538

2013-01-25 15:19:51 [ENConnectivityMonitor] INFO: reachability result: OK

2013-01-25 15:19:51 thmb [ENNoteThumbnailManager] DEBUG: Generating thumbnail for note: '130125 研究ノート' [ff7f40ea-9589-46fa-b198-1ae2b7664249]

2013-01-25 15:19:51 [ENNoteReIndexOperation] INFO: Reindexing note: '130125 研究ノート' [ff7f40ea-9589-46fa-b198-1ae2b7664249]

2013-01-25 15:19:52 thmb [ENNoteThumbnailManager] DEBUG: Generating thumbnail for note: '130125 研究ノート' [ff7f40ea-9589-46fa-b198-1ae2b7664249]

2013-01-25 15:19:52 [ENNoteReIndexOperation] INFO: Reindexing note: '130125 研究ノート' [ff7f40ea-9589-46fa-b198-1ae2b7664249]

2013-01-25 15:19:57 [ENRelatedNotesOperation] INFO: -[ENRelatedNotesOperation main]: note with ID ((null)) seems to have gone away

2013-01-25 15:20:02 [ENConnectivityMonitor] DEBUG: reachability result: 65538

2013-01-25 15:20:02 [ENConnectivityMonitor] INFO: reachability result: OK

2013-01-25 15:20:10 thmb [ENNoteThumbnailManager] DEBUG: Generating thumbnail for note: '130125 研究ノート' [ff7f40ea-9589-46fa-b198-1ae2b7664249]

2013-01-25 15:20:10 [ENNoteReIndexOperation] INFO: Reindexing note: '130125 研究ノート' [ff7f40ea-9589-46fa-b198-1ae2b7664249]

2013-01-25 15:20:11 [ENConnectivityMonitor] DEBUG: reachability result: 65538

2013-01-25 15:20:11 [ENConnectivityMonitor] INFO: reachability result: OK

If you cmd-click several tags and no notes show up, it means that no notes are tagged with those two tags.

So you're saying that there is an implied "and" when multiple tags are selected, not an implied "or". To satisfy a search where TagA and TagB are selected, the note must have BOTH TagA and TagB.

• Level 5*

Disappearing notes again. I am getting the correct results, and then 0 notes again while editing notes. I must admit that I am ignorant about the meaning of "processing," so that might be affecting things, but this is basically the same pattern I have seen before, when it was finished processing.

https://www.evernote...cd7e0a7eb91c305

[EDIT:] See the screenshot at the bottom.

Archived