(Archived) Lack of PIN option under Windows?

Bellyman

When reading the premium options I see that the ability to add a PIN only is available under Android/iOS.

Add a PIN to lock the app on iOS and Android.

As a developer myself I can appreciate how the Evernote team is up to their eyeballs in trying to improve and move the product(s) forward.

OTOH, I see a number of differences between the Windows and Android product alone - and I am curious why the behavior of both are not more closer to each other. And yes I appreciate the difference of a "PC with keyboard and mouse and monitor" v. "smartphone with a smaller screen; touch keyboard and totally different UI".

The PIN is a perfect example of where this train goes off the tracks. Utterly simple yet not available under Windows? Why? I think I get the bit on the Smartphone - it is a royal PITA to constantly enter logins and passwords (in all alls) and so here we would login ONCE and then forever onward use a simple 4 digit pin for example.

What makes Windows so much easier? In my world, at the office I may need an IT person get access to my machine. Right there, they could open up and see all my notes within Evernote as it is always logged in. I want the same thing - both a login/password and the option to add a PIN. I want to be asked for a PIN when I access it. And if it is smart enough (don't know about the Android method) - after a period of time it should re-ask for the PIN. (Or always ask if you close it and later reopen it).

I have issues as well with the multiple logins. Apparently, under Android at least, you cannot have multiple accounts YET - developers emailed me to say "future".

Frustrating is the word. I like new, bigger better etc - but I think Evernote is really missing the big picture. Unless there is a technological issue preventing it, most features should be available across all platforms - period. It will make the users happier knowing they don't have to do something different or know that "THIS does that" and "THAT does not do THIS yet". It will improve marketing - no more "This works under Windows but not Android/iOS" or as per the PIN - only for iOS/Android.

PINs and Multiple logins and the lot - should be similar across the platforms. Yes I can see where a "Camera snapshot" may not work the same way on a PC - but both platforms do allow me to get a image blob and post it in Evernote.

I played a game on Android (Word Feud) and saw it was available on iOS. Do they look the same? No - Android looks a lot better actually. But once you remove the graphic qualtiy and the differences in the UI - the game is identical. As well it should be.

Thanks & cheers!

b

• Level 5*

If you look on the File menu, is there a Sign Out option? That should do the trick if it's available (can't remember if that's a premium/beta feature).

Aside from that, you can always lock your Windows computer if you don't want to log out or switch users.

Re IT at the office: don't kid yourself; they can get access to anything that they want to, if they're at all competent. Nothing you can do to stop them, either.

• 1 month later...

I'm fairly new to Evernote and the only thing that puts me off using it more is the inability to lock (or auto-lock) the interface if I have to leave my desk at work, at home that's not an issue nor is it a problem with my phone as that usually stays with me and is pin locked anyway.

Logging in and out is an option, but as I get called away from my desk a lot during a typical day I'd just get annoyed and not bother logging in at all, in fact I'm at the stage where I'm thinking I should just remove it completely from my work machine. Which would be disappointing as I'd like to have a work specific notebook along side my personal ones.

I'll admit that I'm not currently using the paid for version but this one feature would be enough for me to jump on board with a subscription.

• Level 5*

I'm fairly new to Evernote and the only thing that puts me off using it more is the inability to lock (or auto-lock) the interface if I have to leave my desk at work, at home that's not an issue nor is it a problem with my phone as that usually stays with me and is pin locked anyway.

Logging in and out is an option, but as I get called away from my desk a lot during a typical day I'd just get annoyed and not bother logging in at all, in fact I'm at the stage where I'm thinking I should just remove it completely from my work machine. Which would be disappointing as I'd like to have a work specific notebook along side my personal ones.

I'll admit that I'm not currently using the paid for version but this one feature would be enough for me to jump on board with a subscription.

That's what the Winkey+L is for. It's not optimal but I would prefer Evernote put time into issues that can't be so easily solved by something similar.

That's what the Winkey+L is for. It's not optimal but I would prefer Evernote put time into issues that can't be so easily solved by something similar.

Locking isn't a solution to this problem for me, other people in my department know my password. I'd suggest that this isn't uncommon, especially in smaller organisations.

The rights and wrongs of that are another matter.

You should know Evernote uses an open source database backend and nothing in it is encrypted.  If someone with technical knowledge really wanted to they could access it.

It's MySQL.  And to clarify, EN does no encryption of the data on their servers.  Users, of course, can add encrypted data in the form of password encrypted PDFs, winrar'd files, etc. 

• Level 5*

Locking isn't a solution to this problem for me, other people in my department know my password. I'd suggest that this isn't uncommon, especially in smaller organisations.

Separate accounts is the way to go in this situation, accompanied by Switch User. Use the Shared folder for those things that need to be shared; otherwise each user gets their own sandbox. Yes, an admin can poke around everything; just don't let anyone else be an admin.

The premium says:

PIN LOCK - iOS and Android users can add a lock to their Evernote app for an extra level of security.

Whatever the reason they added that to iOS and Android and whatever level of security that implies ... should be applied across all platforms including Windows.  Win+L is a function of the OS not an IN APP solution.  The PIN is an IN APP solution and it works - but not with Windows. 

jefito mentioned switching users - that applies to Windows Premium but believe that still is not available under Android.  But that implies memorizing a password?  Latest security issue meant a stronger password for me - stored in LastPass.  LastPass cannot hit passwords in the app/client - therefore once I log in that is it as I am not going to remember yet another password.  Hence why (full circle) I would like to see a PIN - IN APP.

But I seem to get the bit this is a pushing rope exercise.

• Level 5*

jefito mentioned switching users - that applies to Windows Premium but believe that still is not available under Android.  But that implies memorizing a password?  Latest security issue meant a stronger password for me - stored in LastPass.  LastPass cannot hit passwords in the app/client - therefore once I log in that is it as I am not going to remember yet another password.  Hence why (full circle) I would like to see a PIN - IN APP.

Actually the "Switch Users" function that I referred to is the Windows OS operation whereby you can switch to another account fairly quickly. This was offered in response to Tony B's specific problem with locking his computer, because for some reason he shares his password with other users in his company. You set up accounts for each user, and if someone else needs to use the computer, switch users. Your Evernote session is preserved while the other account is active; you don't need to sign out at all.

Archived