(Archived) Show full file names

RW1255

When I drop Word docs into the window on the right as a new note, what I see is a rectangle with the Word doc icon and an abbreviated file name. Some of my files have the same first words in their names. How can I see the entire file name so I don't have to open them all to find the one I want?

• Level 5*

I'm seeing the full name in the attachment when I do this, at least in the note itself. In SnippetView, I just see a representative icon in the snippet, but that's a different case.

Thank you. At your prompting I looked at the list view again. I'd looked at it too quickly before; because I didn't see extensions on the file names, I didn't recognize them as such. I'll try to slow down a bit next time.

I replied too quickly. In List View what I get is the list of notes at the top. But I have several Word docs in one note, and I still see just the icons in the bottom window with shortened file names.

• Level 5*
I replied too quickly. In List View what I get is the list of notes at the top. But I have several Word docs in one note, and I still see just the icons in the bottom window with shortened file names.

I am seeing the same thing in both snippet view and list view: note names in a note attachment box (in the note) will be shown as shortened if they are long (I am seeing the first 40-odd characters of a long file name), even with multiple attachments.

• Level 5*

re "37" vs "40-odd": it's almost certainly a pixel width restriction. If you have a lot of upper-case characters in your file name, or wide characters like 'm' or 'w', you will get fewer characters; conversely, if you have mostly lower-case characters, or characters like 'l' or '1', you will likely get more characters.

I don't have an opinion either way as to whether abbreviations should be used or not; 30-odd characters is enough to differentiate for my purposes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Came here to post the same problem. I frequently deal with multiple versions of files and the inability to see the full file names is making it very cumbersome. This seems like such a basic feature so I'm really surprised that it's missing.

Below is an example of 3 related files in a note.

03.12.2013-21.33.png

Archived