mrgoerend

REQUEST: Adding footnotes in a note

Idea

20 replies to this idea

I don't think this will be implemented. Among the millions of EN users, not many will need that functionality. Other things are definitely higher on the priority list.

I'll keep my hopes up (and keep adding requests). There's similar stuff currently in Evernote that not many people need, but has been implemented after user request (word and character counts and revision history for example), so I'll choose to be optimistic.

Any thoughts on adding footnoting functionality?

Personally, as someone who uses footnotes a lot in his writing, this feature sounds tempting, but if it is in Evernote, to what end? It wouldn't be copy/pastable into something like Word. It would only exist in Evernote, and it is pretty rare that I desire footnotes for notes -- usually it is with the intention of publishing the work in some other location.

If you use footnotes for publication, then I recommend using double brackets {{ }} inline, copy / pasting into Scrivener (a program for writiers), and then having it translate those into footnotes for you. As much as I use Evernote, at some point a more specialized program like Word or Scrivener makes more sense, and going from start to finish on a project in Evernote is probably only realistic in a few targeted use cases.

• Like 1

While I don't disagree with your premise, I have access to neither of those programs and I already pay for Evernote. I don't do enough formatted writing to necessitate spending the money on either.

I agree that footnotes are mainly useful when publishing, but when publishing an Evernote note is one command away (command /) I end up sharing a lot. I have a notebook for "thoughts" that I usually end up sharing on Twitter. Some people use Posterous or Tumblr for the kind of composing I'm talking about. I prefer to keep it all together in Evernote, especially when publishing a note is so easy.

Really, I'm thinking about how a shared note on Evernote can be seen as a "blog post" without comments, I think there are only a couple of other features that would make it more than enough to use as my blog.

The problem with having Evernote for your blog is that the content of shared notebooks is not indexed, so you do need to have it exported somehow into another service that will actually publish it on a website. Everblog does a good job of this, but I believe it will only get posted on their domain, and I am not sure what has happened since the beta was released last summer. If I am not mistaken, some versions of multimarkdown will support footnotes (maybe it is with the double brackets), so running it through a program (copy/paste) ought to be pretty easy. If you are willing to forgo footnotes, I know spgscott emails his blog posts into wordpress to get them published -- this means that he is achieving what you are looking to do (using just Evernote to run a blog).

Indexed by Google? I realize this may come off as short-sighted, but if that's what you mean, it's not something that bothers me.

Here's what I'm picturing doing:

Write my "post" in an Evernote note.

Share the post to Twitter, Google+, and Facebook.

Update the note with a link to each of the Twitter/G+/Fb posts at the very bottom with a note saying, "If you'd like to continue the conversation, feel free to do so by responding in one of these places.

At this point I'm still thinking it through, but if anything is going to be spread out on multiple sites, I'd rather it be the comments, not the original content.

The way I blog, it's really just publishing my own thoughts -- as opposed to "marketing" or community-based blogs. That's not to take anything away from those types of blogs. I've just been reflecting on my own writing lately. I don't want to pay for a blogging space, so why not see if I can turn Evernote into my blog when I already a) pay for it and B) save my composed thoughts there?

Thanks for letting me think aloud.

You'd probably have footnotes implemented as note inner links (links to a location inside a note), which would be generally useful. I'd like to see some facility like that.

• Like 1

You'd probably have footnotes implemented as note inner links (links to a location inside a note), which would be generally useful. I'd like to see some facility like that.

Bingo. Footnotes are just inner links, which I think many people would find useful.

Bingo. Footnotes are just inner links, which I think many people would find useful.

True. Anchors would be nice to have, but that's a little different than footnotes, which display in subscript, automatically renumber when a new one is added or old one is deleted, and would probably function more as endnotes (seen at the end of a document) than as footnotes (seen at the bottom of each page). Anchors seem much more likely to occur than true footnotes.

Yeah, I'm not pretending that anchors are true footnotes, but they would have general utility, not only for simple footnoting, but for simple tables of contents.

• Like 2

I actually think footnotes would be a very useful and welcome addition for a lot of users. Evernote has a large user base and extremely varied use cases. 

I often find myself researching in a library with just a tablet and bluetooth keyboard. I do a lot of academic writing and have wished for footnotes on quite a few occasions. I use evernote for pretty much all my drafting work since it syncs well on all my devices and lets me access them to make quick revisions and add ideas from any device I happen to have on me. 

There have been many times I have been commuting and reading over a piece I'm working on and have wanted to be able to add a footnote as a personal reference in a draft.

• Like 2

I would use footnotes a lot for various reasons, depending on what kind of writing I'm doing. I often think "I'll put a footnote here" before realising there's no feature for it. This would be great addition, in my opinion.

I want to add my support for footnotes. I do a lot of legal research as in-house counsel for a startup and need a place to store that research. I'm not generally writing memos to pass on to another person, so the footnotes will help me remember important details and track the sources. 

Hey, I am also an academic and I recently adviced Evernote to my colleauges. What they've asked was footnotes...

I work in tablet, phone and laptop depending on the situation.

Therefore, I need synchronization and I don't know nothing better than Evernote in this area.

We NEED footnote facility in Evernote in order to concentrate our work.

P.S: It could be premium facility consequently academics will definitely go for it.

The Alternote browser extension (For Evernote) has a phenomenal Footnote feature. Works like magic. It creates a footnote section (and has quite a few options) AND when you click on the footnote reference, it takes you to that part of the note (and versa). I don't understand how they do it, but they do. Really cool... but you have to be using the Evernote Web client for that.

Alternote Footnotes.gif

• Like 2

The Alternote is a nice feature, indeed – but it is also an inconvenient work-around for all of us who have our workflow in the Evernote desktop application. 

Please Evernote, I beg you to implement the option of adding footnotes – it really can't be that difficult and besides: soon Bear note-taking app will introduce that feature in the near future!

Moved to Evernote Feature Request so that you can all vote on it.

p.s. Bear is not really a serious competitor until it moves out of the Apple world...

Alternote is no option for me, i use firefox.

The option to insert footnotes in Evernote would be really helpful.