(Archived) How to associate on note to another?

Hello

I want to use Evernote to organize research material and I want to semantically link notes to each other. Since the Evernote dev team refuses to implement hiearchial notes, is there any way to do this?

For example, if I were researching car companies, how could I replicate this kind of structure:

-Research Project 1

---Ford

------CEO

------Total Sales

------Corporate HQ

------Models

---------Mustang

---------Tempo

---------F150

---Chevy

------CEO

------Total Sales

------Corporate HQ

------Models

---------Corvette

---------Model2

---------Truck

thx

Some people like tags, but I'm a notebook user. If this were me, I would have a notebook stack called "Research Project1" In that, I would have notebooks for "Ford" and "Chevy." Then I would use titling conventions to keep things organized (the 'Ford" tag added here, too). So, for example, in the Ford folder I might have "CEO: Bio" and "CEO: Salary History." You could do something similar for the Models. If this were me, I would keep the titles simple ("Mustang: Mileage" with the tags of "Ford" and "Model.").

If you want them to be in a specific order, then just title the notes with numbers. So "01-CEO: Bio" and "02-Total Sales" Numbers and special characters do a great job of forcing order (this is the same technique I use for folders on my desktop computers).

I know you could use tags and people have very detailed ways to use tags for organization. I prever a visual hierarchy myself.

Thanks for the repy Jenni

If you want them to be in a specific order, then just title the notes with numbers. So "01-CEO: Bio" and "02-Total Sales" Numbers and special characters do a great job of forcing order (this is the same technique I use for folders on my desktop computers).

Ugh. That would work, but it feels like such a hack to me.

I know you could use tags and people have very detailed ways to use tags for organization. I prever a visual hierarchy myself.

I would prefer that as well, but Evernote's longstanding opposition to hiearchical notes is well established in these forums so I'm not going waste my time trying to convince them otherwise. I am looking for some way to duplicate the same functionality within the confines that Evernote establishes.

Thanks for your help. I will give that a try.

Hello

I want to use Evernote to organize research material and I want to semantically link notes to each other. Since the Evernote dev team refuses to implement hiearchial notes, is there any way to do this?

thx

Give this a try, it will work:

Copy note linking: Get the Note Link to a note by right-clicking on the note and select Copy Note Link. Create a

New Note in your notebook or go to a note where you’d like that Note Link to go. Paste the link (it will show up as the hyperlinked title of your note) into your New Note or existing note.

Regards,

David in Wichita

• Level 5*

Am I missing a point here? If the OP wants to differentiate -

---Ford

------CEO

------Total Sales

------Corporate HQ

------Models

---------Mustang

---------Tempo

---------F150

---Chevy

------CEO

------Total Sales

...what's wrong with using a tag stack (a stack purely to keep the tags organised) so you can choose 'Chevy' and 'Total Sales' or 'Ford' and 'Total Sales' asnd get a screenful of the correct notes in each case. Not sure that's semantic searching, but it would work...

- and have a look at BitQwik too: very powerful search natural language search engine...

• Level 5*

@gazumped: the main problem would be that you can't replicate sub-categories like "Models" under different parents. That's not to say that tags wouldn't be a good way to go (by now you probably know that that's how I'd do it, unless I decided to make an actual database), but this example cannot be replicated if the user wants a tree to navigate through (as opposed to finding notes via tag searches).

• Level 5*

Hello

For example, if I were researching car companies, how could I replicate this kind of structure:

-Research Project 1

---Ford

------CEO

------Total Sales

------Corporate HQ

------Models

---------Mustang

---------Tempo

---------F150

---Chevy

------CEO

------Total Sales

------Corporate HQ

------Models

---------Corvette

---------Model2

---------Truck

thx

As you have seen from the responses so far, there is no easy, clean way to achieve a nice hierarchical structure in Evernote.

If having this structure is very important to you, then Evernote may not be the best tool for this task.

If you decide to go with Evernote, then the use of Tags, and Note links are probably your best bet.

Keep in mind, that you have very limited ability to filter by Notebook. Basically, you can either have no NB filter, or filter for one, and only one, specific NB. You can filter for a Stack, which would limit the results to only those NBs in the Stack.

Whereas with Tag filters, you have a lot of flexibility. You can include, exclude, match on partial or full tag name.

Archived