(Archived) List View Vertical or Side-by-Side with Preview?

aukirk

Idea

Maybe I am missing it, but I can't find any prior discussion on the forum about this....

In Evernote 5 for Mac, when I select list view, how do you make it so that the list of notes is to the left of the preview instead of above it? Seems a lot more useful to see the note in a long, narrow, page-like manner, instead of super wide.

If this is not possible in the current version, I would really find it useful (or if we could have an easier way to change the sort field and sort order for the snippet view, that would work as well).

15 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Maybe I am missing it, but I can't find any prior discussion on the forum about this....

In Evernote 5 for Mac, when I select list view, how do you make it so that the list of notes is to the left of the preview instead of above it? Seems a lot more useful to see the note in a long, narrow, page-like manner, instead of super wide.

If this is not possible in the current version, I would really find it useful (or if we could have an easier way to change the sort field and sort order for the snippet view, that would work as well).

Hi. It is not available on the Mac (see my shared note here for screenshots to compare https://www.evernote...95698bf3329fdbd). I agree with you on both counts: I'd like it, and I'd like to see sorts easier to change :)

Indeed... Plus 1 for wanting the list view to the left of the individual notes. Screens are wider than they are tall, so it makes no sense to split the available height into list and note views, both of which are then TOO wide for most things.

Another +1. We have been waiting for a vertical list view for the Mac for quite some time. I don't understand why they decided to make it available to Windows but not Mac. As Nightstalker said, screens are wider than they are tall, this requested view would make better use of the screen.

There are a lot of design decisions with Evernote I don't agree with, but usually there is some good reason... not allowing this functionality isn't one I can wrap my head around... what would the possible downside be of providing this type of feature, which has been pretty standard in any list-based software for over a decade.

• Level 5*

Downside #1 is often that other items of higher priority need doing first. Of course, it's all a guessing game from here outside the bubble...

Maybe it is on the roadmap somewhere, but I suspect not. I've requested it for a year (?) or more now (I'm sure others have requested it before me), and I don't remember anyone saying they put it on the roadmap. On the contrary, I get the sense that we haven't been able to convince anyone that the feature would be an improvement. It remains a kind of easter egg feature for Windows, with no documentation or Menu access.

I'm not sure why I've failed so badly, because it would seem on the face of it that this is one of those improvements with no downside for the user at all, but maybe I am missing something. If the view is important to you, then you may want to try Parallels + Windows + Evernote for Windows. My problem this week is whether I want to pay for this trial copy of W8 I have just to use Evernote in Windows. Windows does this cute thing of powering down every couple of hours until you purchase it, LOL. Now I recall why I shifted most of my work over to Mac :)

• Level 5*

As I say, we can only guess at a roadmap (whatever that actually means, since they can typically be sensitive to the contingencies of the day). My experience with such things leads me to believe that it's in their issue tracking database, but nobody internally is really pushing for it, enough to raise it to to the level of something that actually needs to be done, at least. I trot this link out every so often; it gives a flavor of the type of dynamic at play (though I have no idea as to whether Evernote employs such a system in their process): Minus 100 Points.

• Level 5*

As I say, we can only guess at a roadmap (whatever that actually means, since they can typically be sensitive to the contingencies of the day). My experience with such things leads me to believe that it's in their issue tracking database, but nobody internally is really pushing for it, enough to raise it to to the level of something that actually needs to be done, at least. I trot this link out every so often; it gives a flavor of the type of dynamic at play (though I have no idea as to whether Evernote employs such a system in their process): Minus 100 Points.

An interesting read. Thanks!

Maybe that is why, though it is all subjective in the end anyhow, and comes down to convincing the developers (or someone) that it is a worthwhile feature to add. Perhaps someone else can come up with a persuasive story / use case. All I have is mine, and a couple of screenshots, which I think speak volumes (https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/e0533319-72d3-443d-a506-299cdc4b791e/69092ec3e95fad10495698bf3329fdbd).

@Grumpy: Why do you need Windows 8 to run Evernote for Windows? I have VMWare Fusion on the Mac, but I have Windows XP running on it. Still the best, most reliable, version of Windows, and still the most widely used. Windows 7 is creeping up there, mainly by virtue of being the only version available on new computers for the last couple of years.

If you don't have a copy of XP lying around, have you checked on eBay? And of course, not that I'm suggesting or condoning knock-off copies, but with BitTorrent you can get copies of XP galore...

Alternatively, if you're a Windows 7 user (personally I hate it) you should be able to find a copy of Win 7 to install under Parallels.

The more worrying concern is that Evernote will do to the Windows version what they've done to the Mac version.... (shudder)...

• Level 5*

@Grumpy: Why do you need Windows 8 to run Evernote for Windows? I have VMWare Fusion on the Mac, but I have Windows XP running on it. Still the best, most reliable, version of Windows, and still the most widely used. Windows 7 is creeping up there, mainly by virtue of being the only version available on new computers for the last couple of years.

If you don't have a copy of XP lying around, have you checked on eBay? And of course, not that I'm suggesting or condoning knock-off copies, but with BitTorrent you can get copies of XP galore...

Alternatively, if you're a Windows 7 user (personally I hate it) you should be able to find a copy of Win 7 to install under Parallels.

The more worrying concern is that Evernote will do to the Windows version what they've done to the Mac version.... (shudder)...

I think I probably have a copy of XP around somewhere from back in the day. You're right, there's no reason I have to run W8. Whatever comes down the pipe in the next major update to the Windows app, I'll figure out a way to make it work for me. Ideally, of course, it will keep its list view :)

So frustrating that this still isn't a feature yet (or again).

This is also the reason I haven't upgraded to iTunes 11, because for god knows what reason they also removed the vertical layout for browsing things.

Who knew that this is apparently such a difficult problem in computer science that nobody wants to spend what I can only assume must be 100s of developer hours to implement it. SMH

This seems not to be just a Mac problem. I just downloaded Evernote onto a new system, running Windows 7, and I'm horrified to find the layout is as above, with horizontal panels. I'm used to the vertical ones. I'm ready to search back through downloads on my laptop and see if I can back up a version or two. This is AWFUL! I don't know how I'll find things now. BAD MOVE, EVERNOTE! You are my digital brain annex, and I can't live without you, but you really bombed on this one. 

• Level 5*

This seems not to be just a Mac problem. I just downloaded Evernote onto a new system, running Windows 7, and I'm horrified to find the layout is as above, with horizontal panels. I'm used to the vertical ones. I'm ready to search back through downloads on my laptop and see if I can back up a version or two. This is AWFUL! I don't know how I'll find things now. BAD MOVE, EVERNOTE! You are my digital brain annex, and I can't live without you, but you really bombed on this one.

Evernote on the Mac now has side list view (I wrote earlier in this thread about how it did not have the view). Windows has the same side list view it always had: Ctrl+Shift+F5.

Evernote on the Mac now has side list view (I wrote earlier in this thread about how it did not have the view). Windows has the same side list view it always had: Ctrl+Shift+F5.

Thank you! I've been wanting this view for so long now. It would be nice if it were in the 'Views' menu, where it belongs, instead of being a hidden feature.

• Level 5*

Thank you! I've been wanting this view for so long now. It would be nice if it were in the 'Views' menu, where it belongs, instead of being a hidden feature.
Glad I could help. I've also asked for it to be a visible view, and it is a mystery to me why the developers would hide some of their best work.

Archived