Join the #EverBetterChallenge and finish what you start in 2019. Read more... ×

Idea

For example if I want move up a note towards the top of the notebook stack manually. Is this possible?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

84 replies to this idea

Please allow notes to be manually ordered rather than by creation date, name, etc. I want to be able to place my notes and notebooks wherever I want in whatever order I want; an order that makes the most sense for me.

• Like 1

This seems like an important omission. Especially as I began using Evernote as a way of writing on note cards and manually arranging them as a method of writing. Oh, well. Uninstall. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really hate it when startups appear to have absolutely no HCI experts. Most of Evernote is pretty smooth and intuitive but this feature shows a severe lack of insight. Why do you think people even use your app?

Without an electronic note taking system students need to organize bulks of printed class notes and jot down critical information into a notebook. The problem with this is you can't really copy and paste a screenshot into your notebook. Nor can you arrange those screenshots and notes into a system that follows your personal thinking process.

For example, I'm studying and I keep coming across the same thing that was critical in Lecture 1. I want to take a screenshot and sort it into that information. How can I do that in Evernote? I can't! You've recreated the same problem that exists with paper notebooks but put it in an electronic medium. You've created a static organizational system where it doesn't even have to exist. Please fix this.

Also, your Evernote peek App looks interesting but I have no idea how it relates to your main App. Do I have to create a separate notebook just for Flash cards? How would I be able to organize those flash cards when I have 100+ if I want to review only a subset that relate to a specific topic?

You have the largest range of features but you don't know how to organize it properly so that it's user-friendly. Please get on top of this unless you want a competitor to bridge that gap.

• Like 2

Add my voice to those who would really the option of being able to sort notes and stacks manually. It's a feature that has been missing for years, and I say this as an Evernote Premium users of many years with 10,021 notes and counting.

Yes, I know about the various workarounds using reminders, title names, tags, one-note-as-TOC, etc. I periodically come to the forums to learn about new things in Evernote and people's clever ways of using it, and I also often search for how to do manual sorting. There are plenty of postings where people discuss one technique or another, but none are the same thing as being able to order one's notes and notebooks directly by putting them into the desired order in the note views and notebook views. The fact that people have to resort to various hacks should be enough to indicate that manual sorting is a desirable but missing feature.

Judging from some past forum discussions about this topic, some people will feel compelled to reply asking me why I want this feature, or lecture me that it's unnecessary, or helpfully point out one hack or another to achieve it.  That won't be necessary.  I would like this feature in Evernote because I believe it would make it easier and more intuitive for me to organize my notes, based on my experiences. I know workarounds exist but I find them unsuitable.  If they work for you, great!  But they don't for me.

There does not seem to be a way to request features from Evernote directly anymore, and based on what I've read in the forums, it seems like posting to the forums is the way to make our requests heard. That is my only purpose here. I know the company that makes Evernote is not obligated to implement every snowflake feature that people request. I'm not complaining that the situation is a deal-breaker for me.  I'm only trying to say "I'm another long-time user who would like this feature because it would address a long-standing problem for me".

• Like 2

I tried using a writing program called Scriviner, but I found its UI/UX too clunky. Using an Evernote notebook, you can achieve pretty much everything Scriviner does... but not being able to manually order notes is hugely inconvenient. I'm surprised people have been asking for this since 2013, it doesn't sound like it would be too difficult to implement. 

• Like 1

For example if I want move up a note towards the top of the notebook stack manually. Is this possible?

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

What you want to do is not possible. On the Mac, you could put the note into shortcuts, and that space on the left sidebar is the only one in all of the clients where you can manually re-arrange notes. Otherwise, you have to resort to a bit of ingenuity.

In my case, I title everything YYMMDD, so if I sort by title, then everything is arranged chronologically. I can also put a future date into the note, and my note for 2050 will always appear at the top.

You could also sort by title and put an exclamation mark (!) at the front of the note title to make it appear first. Obviously, changing the note created, note updated, and other metadata will affect the order as well.

An "index" note full of note links to important notes will give you manual sort order as well. I have one that I always start off with each day, because it has links to all of my main categories of notes.

• Like 2

What you want to do is not possible. On the Mac, you could put the note into shortcuts, and that space on the left sidebar is the only one in all of the clients where you can manually re-arrange notes. Otherwise, you have to resort to a bit of ingenuity.

In my case, I title everything YYMMDD, so if I sort by title, then everything is arranged chronologically. I can also put a future date into the note, and my note for 2050 will always appear at the top.

You could also sort by title and put an exclamation mark (!) at the front of the note title to make it appear first. Obviously, changing the note created, note updated, and other metadata will affect the order as well.

An "index" note full of note links to important notes will give you manual sort order as well. I have one that I always start off with each day, because it has links to all of my main categories of notes.

ok I see. So i f I want to make a note appear at the top of the stack I can just insert "1" and the subsequent note "2"?

Also does the android or windows version have this "shortcut" feature?

ok I see. So i f I want to make a note appear at the top of the stack I can just insert "1" and the subsequent note "2"?

Also does the android or windows version have this "shortcut" feature?

I'd use 01 and 02. No one else has the shortcut feature... yet :)

• Like 1

Hello and welcome: here are several shortcuts I have used;

!:A - today's note

!A - Shopping list

A - To do list

C- You get the idea

Regards,

David in Wichita

• Like 2

This seems like an important omission. Especially as I began using Evernote as a way of writing on note cards and manually arranging them as a method of writing. Oh, well. Uninstall.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. It's not an omission, but a design decision (search the forums and you will find discussions about this). I would also like to see manual sorting, but if/until we get it, there are a couple of workarounds:

(1) Arrange note links in a note to create a table of contents. You can move things about as you please.

(2) Use the Shortcuts area to arrange notes as you would like.

• Like 2

I like the table of contents idea using the note links. But thats too bad rearranging is not supported. 

If I don't like the sequence, and I want to fine-tune some specific notes, I will change the "Created Date" to adjust the sort. Then create a new table of contents.

I just bought a 3rd party app EverMove and it is supposed to allow you to move items around as you folks are talking about.  I just got it today and of course I'd like to use it if I knew how.  I emailed the company to see if they had any information for me.  Haven't heard back?  I think it was $1.99....  If I learn anymore I check back.

I was checking out Evernote for this feature also.  You can do it in OneNote on a PC, but not in their Android app.

I really hate it when startups appear to have absolutely no HCI experts. Most of Evernote is pretty smooth and intuitive but this feature shows a severe lack of insight. Why do you think people even use your app?

Without an electronic note taking system students need to organize bulks of printed class notes and jot down critical information into a notebook. The problem with this is you can't really copy and paste a screenshot into your notebook. Nor can you arrange those screenshots and notes into a system that follows your personal thinking process.

For example, I'm studying and I keep coming across the same thing that was critical in Lecture 1. I want to take a screenshot and sort it into that information. How can I do that in Evernote? I can't! You've recreated the same problem that exists with paper notebooks but put it in an electronic medium. You've created a static organizational system where it doesn't even have to exist. Please fix this.

Also, your Evernote peek App looks interesting but I have no idea how it relates to your main App. Do I have to create a separate notebook just for Flash cards? How would I be able to organize those flash cards when I have 100+ if I want to review only a subset that relate to a specific topic?

You have the largest range of features but you don't know how to organize it properly so that it's user-friendly. Please get on top of this unless you want a competitor to bridge that gap.

Well, as this is your first post, maybe you are in the wrong class.  Or maybe you need to learn more about the apps & what they can or cannot do before condemning them.  There are plenty of uses for Evernote that do not include arranging notes manually.  However, I'm easily able to copy/paste screen shots into my notebooks.  Or arrange the photos within the notes.  There is plenty of information here on the board about how to use EN, if you're interested.

Good luck.

Reminders CAN be manually sorted - so I use them both as a task list and as a way to keep notes I'm interested in at the top of the display (Android). If you have a group of notes you want sorted, you can put them in a Notebook together, make them all Reminders, and now you have a list of notes that can be manually reordered.

Not that I wouldn't mind the ability to manually reorder notes. But for now, using Reminders for my currently active notes is a good workaround.

hi,

your post made me wonder whether titling everything by date is redundant (for the purpose of arranging notes chronologically) or not, 'cuz can't we already do that with sort by created?? just curious...  let me know if there are any differences.

Thanks in advance.

hi,

your post made me wonder whether titling everything by date is redundant or not, 'cuz can't we already do that with sort by created?? just curious...  let me know if there are any differences.

Thanks in advance.

Hi. Yes, it is redundant. But, it makes my notes more portable (unique titles help to avoid problems and ensure that they retain some semblance of order when I carry them in and out of other apps), it means I don't have to change sorts, and I can adjust the dates as needed (a pain on the Mac and impossible on the iPad using the fields).

The ultimate minimalist workflow would be to just toss everything into your account and rely on the search features and sorts to manage it. This is entirely doable. However, you may have a tough time moving out of Evernote if you need to in the future, and you'll probably be better off working on the desktop versions of Evernote. It's up to you, but the string of numbers (20140528) at the beginning doesn't hurt anything.

Reminders CAN be manually sorted

Whoa, really? I can't do it on any Evernote client that I use (Windows, Android, web). You can change the reminder date, sure, but I don't tthink that that means the same thing. Or am I missing something?

There is a reminderOrder parameter (looking at an enex export, it seems to  register the time when you set the reminder), but I don't know how to easily change it : the only way I see is to reset all reminders and set them in a new order.

For those on Windows wanting to manually arrange and organize (and outline) notes, you may want to check out our TuskTools Treeliner, now in beta.

There is a reminderOrder parameter (looking at an enex export, it seems to  register the time when you set the reminder), but I don't know how to easily change it : the only way I see is to reset all reminders and set them in a new order.

Yeah, that field. Isn't really intended to be a user-editable thing; see http://dev.evernote.com/doc/reference/javadoc/com/evernote/edam/type/NoteAttributes.html

• Like 1

Reminders CAN be manually sorted

Whoa, really? I can't do it on any Evernote client that I use (Windows, Android, web). You can change the reminder date, sure, but I don't tthink that that means the same thing. Or am I missing something?

You're missing something.

In the Mac, Web and Windows clients, just click on the gear at the top of the Reminders, and uncheck 'Sort Reminders by Date'.

Once you've done that, you can drag the reminders to reorder them.

You can do the equivalent on Android too.

• Like 2

You're missing something.

No grand surprise there. :) Nice, thanks!

I use numbers as tags to order notes - 1, 2, 3, etc.

And, although I haven't yet tried, decimals might help to insert new notes rather than re-tagging everything!

I use numbers as tags to order notes - 1, 2, 3, etc.

And, although I haven't yet tried, decimals might help to insert new notes rather than re-tagging everything!

The following is discussing notebook names but applies to titles, tags, stacks, etc.

Anticipating the number of documents amassed in some projects can be tricky and I'd rather not have to create unnecessary placeholders in anticipation (for example, 00001) (that's a lot of keyboarding just to be safe).

If you think you will have less than 100 notebooks, use numbers 001 through 999 followed by the title.

You can have 250 notebooks. And if you used numbers incremented by 1, that would be 001-250. Using 001 - 999 would be 999 notebooks.A better alternative, if you were to use this method, would be to use say, 00100, 00200, 00300, 00400, etc. as the prefix. That way, you can add notebooks in between 00100 & 00200 by using 00120 or 00150 without having to renumber all the subsequent notebooks.
I use this method often, for one particular hobbyist project I have., where I want to force the files to sort in the order I want them.

Hi,

I have been trying to do the same, sorting notes within a notebook;  in my case for a presentation.

I have come up the idea of creating a table of contents,  and then creating a list of the notes using the notes' link  in a index or table of contents called .Index or .Table of contents.

You can get a note link by right clicking on a note the clicking on Copy Note Link

(Of course the dot name appears highest in the list when the list on notes with the note book ins sort by Title)

e.g .

note name = .Index

I have set-up a quick example at the public link https://www.evernote.com/pub/clondon/public
(You should add a note for the viewer that they may need to sort the notes by title).

I hope this suggestion is useful.

I still think the best method for manual ordering of Notes is using Reminders (w/o a date setting), as mentioned by @Adjusting above.  You can then show the Reminders list, order as you like, then select the Reminder/Notes that you want to present, and click on "Start Presentation".

I still think the best method for manual ordering of Notes is using Reminders (w/o a date setting), as mentioned by @Adjusting above.  You can then show the Reminders list, order as you like, then select the Reminder/Notes that you want to present, and click on "Start Presentation".

Yes... manually ordering notes within the Reminders list works well for tasks... however, when it comes to presentation mode or ordering a set of notes before creating a TOC, I don't see any way of selecting multiple notes in the reminder list... also, if one reorders notes manually in the Reminders List, that does not affect the note order in the note list itself, nor does presentation mode take you through the notes in the adjusted order in the Reminder List itself. Am I missing something? 

@Frank:

In EN Mac 6.0.6, you can select the Reminders just like you do Notes, using SHIFT-click and/or CMD-click.

Doing so brings up the multi-note selection screen (just like when you select multiple Notes), where you can click on the "Start Presentation" button.

IOW, selecting the Note to present using the Reminders List works just like the Notes List in EN Mac.

We're not quite there on Windows yet. Darn. That there could be the official workaround for all manner of evil.

There's now a small  growing list of Mac features I'd like to see on Windows  :mellow:

Can't believe I just spent a couple of hours watching tutorials and trying to figure out how to manually order notes within notebooks. It seems so basic, thought I just kept missing it in the tutorials. Well, absent that feature, Evernote is useless for me.  I guess you get what you pay for.

On 2/11/2016 at 5:05 PM, KEB said:

Can't believe I just spent a couple of hours watching tutorials and trying to figure out how to manually order notes within notebooks.

Did you see the workaround I posted above?

On February 11, 2016 at 3:05 PM, KEB said:

absent that feature, Evernote is useless for me.

Can you provide more details on why you need this?

For me, the title and date sorting is usually sufficient. 
I did find that I preferred a different layout for my daily journal.
I wanted the order to be 
Activities

Tasks Now:

Tasks Soon:

iTunes - New Episodes
Projects 

So I generate the lists in date order, then I copy the links into the above sections.  I can do any further sorting by moving the links around.

Beyond that - there's only two areas that allow manual sorting. Reminders and Shortcuts
For example, if you have a set of notes you need in a manual order; drag them to the Shortcuts area.

Other than that, I would precede the title with a number (example 00100, 00200, 00300) and sort by title.  You will be able to insert new notes (example 00210)

Please allow custom user sorting, or allow notebooks to be placed in grouped "Sections" - which can be arranged into a hierarchy.

The ability to group notebooks alongside one another based on their content makes far more sense than letting the alphabet define them.

People use Evernote in many different ways, I wish Evernote would respect the large group of individuals who would prefer to sort their work by it's content and meaning rather than just the alphabet.

No one would ever organize a book shelf by alphabet alone. It would be insane to mix cooking and history, erotic fantasy, law etc - all based on author or title. Arranging into categorized areas makes infinitely more sense.

25 minutes ago, jameskachan said:

Please allow custom user sorting, or allow notebooks to be placed in grouped "Sections" - which can be arranged into a hierarchy.
The ability to group notebooks alongside one another based on their content makes far more sense than letting the alphabet define them.
People use Evernote in many different ways, I wish Evernote would respect the large group of individuals who would prefer to sort their work by it's content and meaning rather than just the alphabet.
No one would ever organize a book shelf by alphabet alone. It would be insane to mix cooking and history, erotic fantasy, law etc - all based on author or title. Arranging into categorized areas makes infinitely more sense.

Are you aware of notebook stacks?
I use a stack called Shared Notebooks to group notebooks.
Still doesn't resolve the manual sorting, and its only one level of hierarchy.

• Like 1

I forgot about them - Thanks for mentioning. Stacks are kinda nice, like folders I suppose —but I don't think they alone are ideal.

Within stacks, it is still not possible to manually arrange notebooks into a hierarchy or manual common arrangement.

Thanks though.

On 04. april 2016. at 6:32 PM, DTLow said:

Are you aware of notebook stacks?
I use a stack called Shared Notebooks to group notebooks.
Still doesn't resolve the manual sorting, and its only one level of hierarchy.

Signed into the forums just to chip into this discussion. It is a serious omission not being able to sort notes manually. Most of the time when I plan something (an application for a fellowship, a presentation etc.) this is the only way of sorting that makes sense. It doesn't seem difficult to implement and I can't see of no reason for being reluctant to enable us to do so. Any way to vote for this "feature"?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Endemite said:

It is a serious omission not being able to sort notes manually

Did you try using the workaround with Reminders that was posted above?

• Like 1

I have been puzzling because i wanted to arrange my notebooks also and actually found something that actually works (in the windows desktop version).

Number the notebooks in the order you want them to appear

Exampel

1. Inbox

2. MyStuff

3. OtherStuff

And so on, nothing happens yet they still stay in the original order.

The trick is to make stacks and after that you remove the notebooks out of the stack again by dragging them into the "Notebooks" folder and now they reappear as notebooks in the "Notebooks" folder but in the order you numbered them.

While I admire your passion and dedication, this is of course a tedious and unideal process to workaround poor design. If you ever wanted to add new notes or notebooks or reflow you'd have to rename everything. 

A workaround yes, but one you should never have to do. So let's hope Evernote addresses this properly.

thanks for writing. 

By the way  -

I tweeted at the CEO of Evernote about this, perhaps more people should till it's addressed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jameskachan said:

While I admire your passion and dedication, this is of course a tedious and unideal process to workaround poor design. If you ever wanted to add new notes or notebooks or reflow you'd have to rename everything. 

11 hours ago, Johan Talboom said:
I have been puzzling because i wanted to arrange my notebooks also and actually found something that actually works (in the windows desktop version).

Number the notebooks in the order you want them to appear

Example  1. Inbox  2. MyStuff  3. OtherStuff

You might use numbers 10 20 30 ....   It gives room to insert new notebooks into the sequence

>>Poor design

I see this repeated so much in the forums.    "It's a poor design because Evernote doesn't have my feature."

Its certainly a design decision, and it's a question of priorities if and when changes are implemented.

Requests for changes can be posted in the feedback forums and users can vote as to the priority.  It's a better process than tweeting the CEO.

I know that it's by design. I'm sure Evernote could make this happen if they wanted to. Though it would take some work. 

I I just think the design is bad. Human beings don't practically organize things based on alphabetical systems or when things last get modified. Our notebooks and notes are like where we put our keys or where we choose to store our clothes.  We build systems based on remembered location and place association - meaning we put like things together. Currently it's not possible to group "related" notes or notebooks alongside each other or in a hierarchical order. Imagine apple not allowing you to custom order your frequent call favourites list on the iPhone  imagine if you had to rely only on alphabetical nonsensical order.

Dissalowing custom hierarchy and sorting is  bad design because it's not human focused design.

• Like 1

Some have said on pc and android you can manually rearrange if you take date sorting off a list. I'm on android and I see no such ability. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I can't believe you can't manually sort notes. How can a note taking app not allow you to do this? And this thread was started when? It's like a new car company comes out with great cars but with steering wheels that only turn right. 

On 5/7/2013 at 11:26 AM, GrumpyMonkey said:

Hi. Welcome to the forums. It's not an omission, but a design decision (search the forums and you will find discussions about this). I would also like to see manual sorting, but if/until we get it, there are a couple of workarounds:

(1) Arrange note links in a note to create a table of contents. You can move things about as you please.

(2) Use the Shortcuts area to arrange notes as you would like.

Ice tried one and two and haven't seen any ability to manually move anything. It all just sits there unless you change the sort order. Can you help further?

On 5/11/2014 at 2:04 PM, Bob in NV said:

Reminders CAN be manually sorted - so I use them both as a task list and as a way to keep notes I'm interested in at the top of the display (Android). If you have a group of notes you want sorted, you can put them in a Notebook together, make them all Reminders, and now you have a list of notes that can be manually reordered.

So how exactly are you able to manually reorder these? I have no manual reorder buttons nor when I touch and hold a note do I get any options. 

20 hours ago, juntjoo said:

So how exactly are you able to manually reorder these? I have no manual reorder buttons nor when I touch and hold a note do I get any options. 

On my Mac, I'm using top list view.
If I expand the Reminder Selection to review reminder notes, I can drag them into the desired order

I use tags to provide a custom order when merging notes. Tags like !a will appear at the  top of the list when sorted by tags rather than date. This certainly works on Windows.

This request reminds me another one, about tags in shared notes.  There are multi-year threads going on without resolution.  It basically means that Evernote architecture doesn't easily allow this, and legacy code became unmaintainable.  I'd like for a VP of Engineering to come here and explain why they can't implement this feature for so many years.  It can also inform technically-minded investors about the state of product and engineering.

2 hours ago, braver said:

It basically means that Evernote architecture doesn't easily allow this, and legacy code became unmaintainable....I'd like for a VP of Engineering to come here and explain...

Architecture wise, they've already shown it can be done.
(they added the reminder order field to notes for the reminder section)
So I'm guessing the solution is to add a notebook order field 
Thats the easy part; updating the UI across all the platforms is another matter

I'm not sure what you want to hear from Engineering
I've accepted that in the list of priorities, its been decided not to implement this at this time.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2016 at 1:38 PM, MikeH said:

There does not seem to be a way to request features from Evernote directly anymore, and based on what I've read in the forums, it seems like posting to the forums is the way to make our requests heard.

Go to this thread in the Windows Feedback forum, and click on the arrow to vote it up. Lots of people like the idea, but only seven have taken the .5 second to vote on it. If that's not quite what you had in mind, there may be another proposal there; or you could start a thread.

• Like 1

Inability to sort notes manually has got to be the most glaring shortcoming of Evernote. Reading through some of the gyrations people have to go through in order to simply accomplish what should be an obvious Evernote feature, is utterly ridiculous. I'd use this product a lot more if it had this feature; for me, and I'm sure for many others, not having the ability to manually sort notes renders this product nearly useless. What are you waiting for to add this feature?

I see this topic was created some time ago. Is there still no such feature? I started using Evernote a year ago and it was a reason I soon stopped. Just now I tried again and for a moment it was like a great app but then I had a same problem again.  

Nope you still can not rearrange your notebooks simple.

I did found a work around but it needs some work, you need to number your note books (see below)

1.Inbox

2.Personal

3.Work

Automatically they do not arrange in the right order to make the notebooks arrange in the right order you first have to create a notebook stack (drag them on top of each other) and them drag them one by one out of the stack (drag them out of the stack on top of the main folder "Notebooks".

When you have done that with all notebooks they are arranged in the right order.

Success, lame they did not fix this yet

@gangelo, @VivienKa, welcome to the forums. I agree that this is a much-needed feature.

@gangelo, as to whether it is "the most glaring shortcoming of Evernote" ... just look around these forums a bit. You will find a very large number of items that have significant numbers of people (sometimes very annoyted people) who have identified those items as "the most glaring shortcoming of Evernote." IMHO, EN is so useful that people use it in a huge variety of ways for all sorts of tasks, meaning that what seems a blatantly obvious lack to some is as nothing to others, for whom something else is urgently needed. So, bottom line, I keep trying to remind myself that my ways of using this software will differ from other people's ways, and that others will identify important needs that I overlook. And the EN developers have to find a way to prioritize and juggle all the various needs. Also, they mess up sometimes. :o

Also BTW, this is a user-to-user forum, so you're not directly addressing EN, though their staff do look in periodically.

@VivienKa - EN has hundreds of features. EN is a great app. Even you said, "for a moment, it was like a great app". - - - Have you considered if you might be throwing the baby out because of dirty bath water?

3 minutes ago, Analyst444 said:

@VivienKa - EN has hundreds of features. EN is a great app. Even you said, "for a moment, it was like a great app". - - - Have you considered if you might be throwing the baby out because of dirty bath water?

Not as far as I'm concerned. I like bacon in my salad. At least to have the option. Don't get me wrong, EN looks to be a delicious salad but to exclude the option of bacon? Madness. 

9 hours ago, Johan Talboom said:

Nope you still can not rearrange your notebooks simple.

Note that the topic here is rearranging notes in arbitrary order, not notebooks. If you want to be able to rearrange notebooks, you should make  a separate request in the Product Feedback forum for that feature.

I would really love to see a feature where i can manually sort notes by "importance" and seperately by "urgency". The user could send a note to the top of one of the lists by the press of one button. That would be awesome :D

@Neyghey - This strikes me as a good situation in which to use Tags.

Create some Tags like ImportanceHigh, ImportanceMedium, ImportanceLow, UrgencyHigh, UrgencyMedium, and UrgencyLow.

Assign them to Notes as you see fit.

Create Shortcuts for each Tag or combinations, thereof, as you see fit.

Turn on "Remember View Settings" for particular cases.

Select the Shortcut that fits you needs at any particular point in time. Evernote will find the appropriate set of Notes, sort them as you like, and present your desired view.

Modify the Tag for any Note and Evernote will effectively "move" the Note to the appropriate list.

I hope you feel this helps.

• Like 1

@Analyst444 Thanks for the suggestion, but what if i want to sort 500 ToDos by importance, 100 of them have high importance, but i still would like to do the most important first...? i would have to use tags Imp00001, Imp00002, Imp00003 etc... and if another note becomes the most important i have to change 00001 to 00002 and so on :D my suggestion was a follow up on the manual sort thing only because i feel that even one manual sorting criterium wouldn't be enough for me,  i would need at least two, but an unlimited number would be great...

But thanks again for your quick answer :) 

1 hour ago, Neyghey said:

I would really love to see a feature where i can manually sort notes by "importance" and seperately by "urgency". The user could send a note to the top of one of the lists by the press of one button. That would be awesome :D

I switch to title sequence, and I control my note sequence using a prefix on the title

For example "-project aaaa" causes my project master note to be at the top

"+task bbbb" causes my task notes to be next

"++next action cccc" causes my next action tasks to be at the top of my tasks

@Neyghey - Here are a couple thoughts. (3) below may be the most important.

(1) There were at least 2 times in the past that I tried to categorize many (500?) Tasks (Notes) by "importance". I found that I couldn't effectively do it. I was spending too much time looking over each of the Tasks (Notes) to review/redefine each's level of "Importance". If you can make it work, you are a more capable person that I. --- I would have spent an inordinate amount of time, even if I could have sorted the Tasks (Notes) manually.

(2) Never the less, if you feel the need to review/redefine the "Importance" of many Tasks (Notes), then an approach that still uses Tags is to create another Tag that defines "Priority" (sequence). The way to avoid reassigning values for many Tasks (Notes) at one time is to use a scheme for the "Priority" Tag like this:

• Priority00100
  • Priority00200
  • Priority00300
  • Priority00400
  • Priority00500
  • etc.

Then, when you want to set the "Priority" of a Task (Note) to be between the first two, give it a value of Priority00150. --- The point is to think of defining a Task (Note) as "Important" as different than defining the sequence in which to work on Tasks (Notes).

(3) DTLow and I have offered a some ideas how to implement schemes for sorting Evenote Notes. But, perhaps, an even more important concept to share is that there are other criteria upon which to decide the sequence upon which to work on Tasks (Notes). One criterion I have used is "Urgency". Just because a Task (Note) is "Important", doesn't mean it is "Urgent". A simple scheme to help explain this would be to create a set of Tags like this:

• ImportantAndUrgent
  • NotImportantAndUrgent
  • ImportantAndNotUrgent
  • NotIMportantAndNotUrgent
Then, Tags Notes (tasks) as is appropriate.

First, work on those Notes (tasks) with the first Tag.

Then, work on those Notes (tasks) with the second Tag.

Then, the third Tag.

If you've got your life under control, then you will never take the time to work on those Notes (tasks) with the 4th Tag.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Neyghey said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but what if i want to sort 500 ToDos by importance, 100 of them have high importance, but i still would like to do the most important first...? i would have to use tags Imp00001, Imp00002, Imp00003 etc... and if another note becomes the most important i have to change 00001 to 00002 and so on :D my suggestion was a follow up on the manual sort thing only because i feel that even one manual sorting criterium wouldn't be enough for me,  i would need at least two, but an unlimited number would be great...

As a point of practicality, sorting 500 to-dos is a fool's game. Don't do it. You cannot do 500 things at once, so focus on the top few; the rest don't matter. Grade them into several buckets, e.g.: critical, high, medium, low, using tags, and then attack the critical ones. By the time you're done with those, you may have more todos, or the remaining todos may have changed priority, so reload from the next highest bucket, and repeat. Spend your time doing things, not calculating priorities.

• Like 3

@Analyst444 re(1) You are probably right. I am just looking for a way to get a hold of my Tasks again, without forgetting important ones in the Process. Normally I am working with reminders: I have two Priority tags: asap and wzi (Wenn Zeit ist; its german for when i got time) every asap got to have a due date. This is a good solution for when you got your life under control, but currently i find myself rescheduling everyday, today my "overdue" savedSearch has 349 items. So i was searching for a better Solution...see re(3)

re(2) thanks for the suggestion, i never thought of that approach.

re(3) Yeah, i saw this method mentioned before, probably in one of your posts. I think its the most efficient way for me and i am going to implement that.

@jefito you are right too, thanks for confirming that my approach has no future. Honestly, i never thought that i would ever have that many ASAPs to do. As long as it was 20-30 ASAPs, my approach was running pretty smoothly. But now that i have to "jump back on the waggon" as David Allen would put it, i think i have to rethink my methods.

Thank both you guys for taking the time and trying to help me. :) 

• Like 1

@Neyghey - One follow-on thought. You mentioned ASAPs 3-4 times in your prior post.

When I was working, I found that bosses, peers, and other people would bring me assignments / tasks / things to do. They would present their need with this emotional sense of "urgency" and they labeled it as ASAP. It took me a few years to catch on, but most of the time, I was rarely given a due date for those ASAPs. The requester rarely indicated that the need had to be fulfilled by a particular date. So, I switched my policy for prioritizing my work. If no due date was given, I categorized the ASAP as not urgent and it would go to the bottom of the list with the other, no due date ASAPs. 

You mentioned that "every ASAP has got to have a due date". If your bosses, peers, others are giving you the due dates, then you will have to roll with punches. But, if you are assigning the due dates, then I'd say you are causing yourself more stress that what is needed.

As jefito clearly said, somehow you've got to narrow your focus.

• Like 1

@Neyghey

Did you ever look at the The Secret Weapon?  Not sure it is worth following its precepts to the letter, but one thing I plucked from it was the priority hierarchy concept.  

ASAPs for me are tagged with !1-Now, and from there I go to !2-Next, !3-Soon, !4-Later, !5-Someday, !6-Waiting, and !7- Read.  All of the tags are preceded by !# so that they sort in the tag drop down and list views.  The discipline as @jefito says is to clear some of the !1-Now's before adding anything to that "pool" of work.  

I also use reminders for some tasks that are specifically date sensitive.  I end up looking at two searches, one for !1-Now and one for date, but it works from me.  With two clicks on saved searches I get date sensitive items and otherwise important items.  FWIW.

• Like 1

Thanks again @Analyst444, i AM probably causing myself more stress than is needed, as i said, as long as it was a manageable amount of important tasks, it went pretty smoothly... I realise that we are going a little bit off topic in this thread, but i would have one more question:

you mentioned you are working with Important vs urgent... on which criteria do you decide, what is urgent and what not? An example: above @csihilling mentioned The Secret Weapon. I clicked on the link, decided it was interesting, but was at work at the time and had no time to really dig into it, so i clipped it to my Inbox. now i am processing it and i don't know if it is urgent or not. My instinct says, that everything that, if not done by a specific due date, produces some kind of consequences is urgent. But if the technique could improve my workflow and help me eliminate my overdues, the consequence is more stress, which is the main thing i want to eliminate. 

My fear is that, as soon as i implement your method, i want to label everything ImportantAndUrgent, the same way i now tag (nearly) everything ASAP and schedule it for tomorrow or next week in order to not forget about it...any ideas?

Ps: how do you guys mention another user in a post? when i write @Analyst444, it does not get that fancy EN-green highlight...BTW: thanks to you too @csihilling for your link and support

57 minutes ago, Neyghey said:

My fear is that, as soon as i implement your method, i want to label everything ImportantAndUrgent, the same way i now tag (nearly) everything ASAP and schedule it for tomorrow or next week in order to not forget about it...any ideas?

Ps: how do you guys mention another user in a post? when i write @Analyst444, it does not get that fancy EN-green highlight...BTW: thanks to you too @csihilling for your link and support

You are welcome.  Nobody knows your priorities better than you.  

From a process perspective you could set an arbitrary limit on the number of ASAP tasks you will allow, say 5 or 10. This will force you to pick the most important tasks.  Then don't add anything to the pool out of process unless some catastrophe item appears.  Work the pool down and take it back to 10 when all the ASAPs are done or refresh to 10 during your review cycle (end of day maybe).  Try not to worry about the non-ASAP tasks, you will get to them.  You can also set a limit on your next items if you like.  This will give you a quick view as to what should be added to ASAP next.  If you make an error in assigning priority, just change it.  

To get the name to show in green you have to select if from the drop down.

Image.png.14c4c0b7cdc5d9960502c769c1314b76.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neyghey said:

you mentioned you are working with Important vs urgent

A concept to pare your task list to a manageable level, is Next Action from GTD (Getting Things Done)

Yes, your project has 200 tasks, but you don't need to obsess on 199 of them.  

Identify the Next Action, and focus on that task

When you complete that task, identify the new Next Action and focus on that

• Like 1

@csihilling, @DTLow, @Analyst444, (Ha, it worked, me as an old copy-paster did overlook that functionality :) ) Just wanted to tell you that I love this Community, it's really helpful and friendly compared to other software-specific Coms out there...

Of course I know GTD, its what got me to start using EN in the first place. The problem is that i currently have 200 projects rather than 200 tasks in one Project. But i guess the concept can be applied to that as well...

With your knowledge and support, i am confident that i'll be back on the wagon in no time. Thanks to all of you, i hope you are allright,

Ney

@Neyghey - You asked about criteria for defining Urgency. Here is an approach.
  • If you can complete the task in less than 2 minutes, do it now. Don't even waste time categorizing it as Urgent. Do it and then delete it.
  • If the task clearly needs to be done today or tomorrow, categorize it as Urgent and start working on it now.
  • If no other person has imposed a Due Date on you, categorize the task as NotUrgent and go work on the ImportantAndUrgent tasks.

Once you've got all tasks categorized as Urgent or NotUrgent, you more than likely have several tasks categorized as ImportantAndUrgent. The issue immediately becomes, "In what sequence do you work on those tasks?" --- Here is a relatively simple approach. (In one sense, sequencing also helps define Urgency.)

I suggest there are 4 factors to take into consideration for each ImportantAndUrgent task:
  1. Tasks Dependencies. Do you need to wait for one or more other tasks to be completed before starting on a task? If yes, then, obviously, this is not the tasks to work on first.

2. Task Slack Time - This is the difference between (A) The number of days or hours you are scheduled to work before the Due Date of the task and (B) The number of days or hours it will take you to complete the task. Estimate (in your mind) each task's slack time. For example, if the Due Date is 10 days out and you will plan on working 9 of those days (A), and a task requires 2 days of your time (B), then the task's slack time is 7. --- Tasks with smaller slack times need to be worked on before those with larger slack times. --- If a task has negative slack time, you are in trouble. You can't get it done in time. In addition, working on one task may not leave you with enough time to complete some other tasks by its Due Date. --- Depending the nature of your work and number of tasks, you may need a more elaborate scheduling system.

3. Pecking Order - Completing something for your boss (or a customer) is more important than completing something for a peer (or a supplier). Hedge your bets when it comes to the sequence of tasks.

4. Availability of Other People - If you need help from other people to complete a task, then you should at least start such tasks (and determine the availability of those other people) before starting tasks that you can do on your own.

It takes time and experience to be able to quickly evaluate the above criteria and resolve any apparent conflicts resulting from the evaluation. The objective is not to sequence all of the ImportantAndUrgent tasks, but only the first 2-4 to be worked on. Once those are completed, things will have changed and the sequence of the other tasks will likely need to be changed.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Neyghey said:

nt that i'll be back on the wagon in no time. Thanks to all of you, i hope you are allright,

You are welcome.  Hope you get it sorted.  :)

• Like 1

Users might be interested in the new Spaces feature.  It allows "pinning" of notes

On 11/11/2018 at 7:11 AM, Павел Фоменко said:

I almost fell off the chair when I found out that such a wonderful notebook don't let me arrange headings as it can be done with my paragraphs ?

The "arrange headings" and "wonderful notebook" is confusing.  
You can prefix your note titles wih a number, then view then in title sequence;
for example  01 Note Heading, 02 Note Heading, ...

@Manolson Hi, Happy new year 2019, thanks for your post and welcome to the Forums! Its a right-out shame that this is STILL not implemented!! There have been about 200 updates since, most of them regarding ***** no one needs... @everyone : lets make some noise on this thread again... this is basic and necessary! DONT FORGET TO UP-VOTE THE REQUEST!...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neyghey said:

There have been about 200 updates since, most of them regarding ***** no one needs

Quote from CEO Ian Small in the latest Evernote blog on priorities for 2019

undoubtedly we will still disappoint some of you—whether it’s because you don’t like the way we choose to fix something, or we don’t prioritize a particular bug that drives you around the bend

• Like 1

Hey, @DTLow and thanks very much for your quick reply!... Didn't realise you were part of "the system", but good to know.... I appreciate EN in general, else i wouldn't  still be a subscriber... But the fact that we still can't rearrange notes is just OUTRAGEOUS! I feel that my life could be perfect right now if i could just rearrange notes manually. Yes, its such a big deal (to some of us). And i have yet to meet someone who needs tabs in EN on a regular basis or this nice pop-ups that ask me to pay for some business subscription or join some #challenge... This request has been posted in JAN 2013. This was 6 Years ago. And we haven't heard from an EN employee since....

PS: is there a particular reason, you made your last reply a link or was it a mistake?

Ah @DTLow - They have been disappointing us for years about this!

I've reached out to CEO @croneill and @evernotehelps about twice a year for a few years now about this issue of not being able to sort manually, I always get the same "thanks for your input" go-nowhere response.

I would HEAVILY use Evernote if they allowed you 1. Sort manually

Also, I've been complaining for a long time about not being able to Copy / Paste text formatting styles - like Bold, Header, Italics, coloured text etc.

Apple's app allow this though Edit Menu items, with the simple keyboard shortcuts of ( ⌥ ⌘ C  [copy style] and ⌥ ⌘ V [paste style] )

• Like 1