Cute Chrome iOS easy workaround

Ron Grandia

Idea

This may be old news, but I finally found a way to make Evernote web clipper work in Chrome for iOS easily.

The bookmark trick in Safari doesn't work for chrome, but I figured out that one can add that same JavaScript to the iOS text shortcuts. It's easy.

Just create a text shortcut which will substitute that loooong JavaScript string (see below) with your chosen key word - I call mine "webclip."

Then, when you find a page you wish to clip in Chrome, simply select the URL in the address bar, then type your shortcut keyword and enter.

You should get a web-clipper window!

Enjoy!

iOS text shortcuts - http://bit.ly/oJErD2

Webclipper JavaScript - http://bit.ly/OUJ1bg

42 replies to this idea

This is a great tip thanks Ron.

I experienced a similar problem to AnnaB that it was not recognizing the phrase with the shortcut. I only got it to work by opening up the notes app and typing my shortcut phrase there. It then recognized it!

Don't know why it required this extra step, but it now works a treat.

Thought it might help someone else who is scratching their head.

I stopped trying to use the Safari iOS clipper because it drove me nuts. Dolphin Browser (which is free) has a really nice, easy to use Evernote clipper. When I need to clip anything on my iPhone or iPad, I use that instead.

I downloaded Dolphin for my iPad, and I see it does not support add-ons. How did you get the clipper to work?

Hi 

darraughbj

Sorry.  I'm still having a problem with Chome on my iPhone.  I have set the ShortCut etc. but when I use it I get the search results.  Do I literally cut and paste ALL the following as is or is there an extra RETURN after the first line that should come out?

============= START COPY

javascript:(function(){EN_CLIP_HOST='http://www.evernote.com;try{var%20x=document.createElement(SCRIPT');x.type='text/javascript';x.src=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/public/bookmarkClipper.js?'+(new%20Date().getTime()/100000);document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(x);}catch(e){location.href=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/clip.action?url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title);}})();

============= END COPY

Thanks,

Dom

Actually it appears to be a bug in Chrome / iPhone.  The short cuts aren't working properly.  If I type "omy" I get the standard example "On My Way!" however if I type "atb" a custom one I created then it doesn't auto fill "All the best," as I have programmed!!! Apple dropped the ball.

Actually it appears to be a bug in Chrome / iPhone.  The short cuts aren't working properly.  If I type "omy" I get the standard example "On My Way!" however if I type "atb" a custom one I created then it doesn't auto fill "All the best," as I have programmed!!! Apple dropped the ball.

Encountered similar problem as you did. Cleared my ipad chrome's history, and it seems to work...

Further investigation and I was able to duplicate the problem you and I had.

We were unable to invoke the shortcut is because we may have already a browser history record in chrome prior to getting the keyboard shortcut setup properly. In my case, the shortcut I used "webclip" was actually something I searched for before. So when typing out the word webclip in the address bar, chrome auto completes the word for you based from your previous search history. When autocomplete in chrome is invoked in the address bar, it gets higher "priority" over iOS' shortcut keys.

Solution: clear iOS chrome's browser history and it will work.

Like a couple'a others in this thread, I still can't quite figure out how to resize the javascript window that pops up on Chrome, and the save button is outside the view of the screen, as are the two check-boxes, thus rendering it useless.

Surprisingly, it works fine with Safari, even though they are, in effect, invoking the same code, whether through the URL or the bookmarklet. For those of you that managed to get it to work, how'd you do it?

'm on an iPhone 5, iOS7.

Like a couple'a others in this thread, I still can't quite figure out how to resize the javascript window that pops up on Chrome, and the save button is outside the view of the screen, as are the two check-boxes, thus rendering it useless.

Surprisingly, it works fine with Safari, even though they are, in effect, invoking the same code, whether through the URL or the bookmarklet. For those of you that managed to get it to work, how'd you do it?

'm on an iPhone 5, iOS7.

works fine in Chrome on iPad iOS7.

For those still having trouble... I found that even though the shortcut was saved, I had to back out from the Keyboard page to the General page in Settings before the clipper would work. If you're impatient like me, you may be switching from Settings over to Chrome before taking that final, apparently essential step to engage the shortcut.

This is a great tip thanks Ron.

I experienced a similar problem to AnnaB that it was not recognizing the phrase with the shortcut. I only got it to work by opening up the notes app and typing my shortcut phrase there. It then recognized it!

Don't know why it required this extra step, but it now works a treat.

Thought it might help someone else who is scratching their head.

It was not working for me either but with a combination of everything shared above (as follows) it's working excellent on my iPad.  

My steps:

1) Copied and pasted the java script (first entry in this thread) into a new note in the Notes app.

2) Selected all of the script I just pasted into the Notes app and copied it.  

3) Opened Settings->General->Keyboard and added a new text shortcut.  Pasted the phrase copied from Notes into the Phrase portion of the shortcut,  named the Shortcut "webclip" (without the quotes, can be whatever you want to call it)

4) Backed out of of the Keyboard shortcut; Keyboard->General 

5) Opened Chrome, clicked the three bars to the right of the address bar and selected History.  Cleared browsing data (at the bottom of the page)

Now the function works!  Any page I want to save all I have to do is select the address bar and type "webclip" (without the quotes) and click the "Go" key.  In my case it works with or without adding a space after webclip. 

A big thank you to all who contributed to this thread, it was exactly what I needed to allow me to save from my iPad to my favorite knowledge management application Evernote (2559 notes and building).

• Level 5

I stopped trying to use the Safari iOS clipper because it drove me nuts. Dolphin Browser (which is free) has a really nice, easy to use Evernote clipper. When I need to clip anything on my iPhone or iPad, I use that instead.

I downloaded Dolphin for my iPad, and I see it does not support add-ons. How did you get the clipper to work?

Doesn't need an addin.  It's built in.

Click the button that looks like 6 dots, goto settings, then down to "Account & Sync" and add your Evernote account.

Once that's setup, on a page click the 6 dots button, then "Share".  Now you can edit the note title, the notebook, add tags and comments.

Works Perfectly - easy to setup - I'm a rookie,

I followed 12 June 2013 darraughbj's instructions.

I copy/pasted the long java script from the link provided in the opening comment for this cute chrome ios easy workaround.

This was a much needed workaround for me!  Thank you!!!!

I have been using this javascript extension for some time without issue.... create keyboard shortcut. Type in URL and all works fine until..... I think the update to Chrome v33 has caused an issue as even when I post the javascript directly in URL line it does nothing.... Works fine in Safari... Nothing in Chrome. Any ideas?

I have been using this javascript extension for some time without issue.... create keyboard shortcut. Type in URL and all works fine until..... I think the update to Chrome v33 has caused an issue as even when I post the javascript directly in URL line it does nothing.... Works fine in Safari... Nothing in Chrome. Any ideas?

I get this far post-186463-0-85836100-1394329860_thumb.

But when I hit space, then Go, nothing happens. It works in Safari. Is it the new version of Chrome?

I can get the Evernote webclipper popup after entering the keyboard shortcut into the address bar.

The problem is that half the popup is off the side of the screen and swiping moves the page underneath but not the webclipper dialogue. I can't get to the 'save' button (or whatever it's called, I can't see it) so I can't actually create a note.

Here's a couple of screenshots, landscape and portrait: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s69/sh/8933f06d-3cd4-4b25-bdc6-7274b2a599aa/7fc6cfff506e4aa5726e68b6aa148095

iphone 5

iOS 7.1.1

Chrome 35.0.1916.38

Anyone else having this issue or know a way around it?

Thanks Wifred, that totally did the trick! Now working a dream on Chrome iOS.

Encountered similar problem as you did. Cleared my ipad chrome's history, and it seems to work...

Further investigation and I was able to duplicate the problem you and I had.

We were unable to invoke the shortcut is because we may have already a browser history record in chrome prior to getting the keyboard shortcut setup properly. In my case, the shortcut I used "webclip" was actually something I searched for before. So when typing out the word webclip in the address bar, chrome auto completes the word for you based from your previous search history. When autocomplete in chrome is invoked in the address bar, it gets higher "priority" over iOS' shortcut keys.

Solution: clear iOS chrome's browser history and it will work.

Well, it's new news to me!

I've been looking high and low for a Chrome webclipper extension, and alas I've found it -- thank you!! :D

P.S. I used this trick on my iPad, not sure how it fares on other iOS devices using Chrome.

Thanks again, Ron.

Having trouble understanding what to do with these steps any chance you can explain it step by step it makes no sense at the moment

Where do I copy these links to the URL or something else ?

Where does the text shortcut go?

Then select the URL I address bar which URL?

This is perfect, exactly the simplicity I was looking for. Here's a more detailed explanation for those having trouble:

First set-up your shortcut, (iPad, iOS 6.1.3) go into you settings and choose General -> Keyboard -> Add New Shortcut.

In the part titled "Phrase" enter the JavaScript code:

javascript:(function(){EN_CLIP_HOST='http://www.evernote.com;try{var%20x=document.createElement(SCRIPT');x.type='text/javascript';x.src=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/public/bookmarkClipper.js?'+(new%20Date().getTime()/100000);document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(x);}catch(e){location.href=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/clip.action?url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title);}})();

Then in the part titled "Shortcut" enter 'webclip' (without quotes), or whatever else you want the shortcut phrase to be.

Now with that done, go back to chrome and go to a webpage. Tap on the address bar, this will highlight the entire address, that's okay it's all part of the plan. Now, simply type 'webclip' (without quotes) or your defined shortcut and hit Go in your keyboard. A lovely JavaScript box will come up in the corner in much the same manner as it does for the desktop extension.

Followed the instructions and does work in Safari but not in Chrome on iOS. I select the URL, type my shortcut and click Go, and end up in Google with search results for my shortcut...

Any ideas on maybe some settings in Chrome?

Alas, I've followed the directions of darraughbj with no luck.

I am ashamed to admit I might not be clear on what the Go key is on my Apple wireless keyboard.

In any case, I went to the onscreen keyboard Go key and still have no luck. I'm merely getting search results.

hi, i was able to create the shortcut and it brings up a webclipper window, but when i try to clip it says that 3rd party cookies must be accepted. i checked my settings in chrome and i have accept cookies on. any thoughts as to why it isn't seeing that?

thanks!

I get this as well.  Cookies on, Chrome doesn't reject third party cookies when in normal use.  Anyone got any ideas?  .

I also got this error when I entered the wrong password.

With the correct password it worked like a charm...

This probably needs to be confirmed by others ;)

SB

It's still not working for me. I created the shortcut, typed in the word I used as the shortcut, included a space, and I still get Google search results. I even switched the phrase and shortcut fields to be sure I didn't do it backwards.

Also, I just copied and pasted the entire JavaScript into the search bar, and that also did not clip the page to my EN account.

Any ideas?? I don't know if it matters, but I have an ipad mini. I do have iOS 6.1.3.

hi, i was able to create the shortcut and it brings up a webclipper window, but when i try to clip it says that 3rd party cookies must be accepted. i checked my settings in chrome and i have accept cookies on. any thoughts as to why it isn't seeing that?

thanks!

thanks!

I get this as well.  Cookies on, Chrome doesn't reject third party cookies when in normal use.  Anyone got any ideas?  .

Archived