(Archived) Should all notebooks be in a stack?

I'm just getting started with Evernote, and I have a bunch of notebooks contained in a Notebook Stack and I have one notebook that I made that did not appear within the Notebook Stack. I see I can drag the notebook into the stack, however, is a Notebook Stack just a grouping of notebooks? Are there any advantages to having all notebooks in a single stack?

• Level 5*

AFAIK Stacks are a convenient way of tidying up the left hand column of your screen. If you favour a lot of notebooks, it's time-consuming to scan down, and down, and d-o-w-n to find the right one. With stacks, your bottom-most notebook may only be a click away. So the gain is purely in efficiency and layout. Your choice.

I'd also suggest that notebooks are a lot like tags - just a way to differentiate between notes. In fact it's better to use tags as far as you can. I only turn to notebooks when I want to share with others, split off a section of my notes to allow offline searching on a mobile device, or collect a number of notes together so I can tag them and move them back to my main notebook.

• Level 5*

As gazumped said, stacks are mainly useful for organizing your notebook list. But one lesser-known fact about stacks is that they are the only way that you can filter/search a selected subset of your notebooks at once, using the "stack:<stack name>" search term. Without that, you're stuck using a single "notebook:<notebook name>" search term, or searching all notebooks. If don't need permanent stack organization, you can certainly create an ad hoc stack for searching purposes, and then move the notebooks back to their original locations (stack, or at the notebook tree root).

That being said, it's possible that you might want to maintain a single stack for your own notebooks, and one for the notebooks that have been shared to you (joined notebooks) if you want to be able to search these notebook subsets separately, and keep their tags out of the way of each other. But that would then preclude any use of stacks for other functional organization. In the end, using tags may be the better choice for most search problems.

Archived