Sorting Notes

Wouldn't it be just great to be able to sort our notes the way we want them by dragging and dropping? The current options don't allow for the fact that when doing research, topics are not always researched in any particular order. Let me try and explain.

I am researching a holiday I am taking later this year. It will be a tour and today I was researching how to get from the airport to my hotel, and other transport issues. I called the page Moscow Transport. Then I felt like having a change so I did a bit of research on the St Petersburg part of the tour. Then I wanted to insert a page entitled Italy, but Italy comes after Moscow in my tour but not in the alphabet. I want to sort my pages in the order I will be visiting places, not necessarily alphabetically or any other option offered by Evernote. The ability to drag and drop the pages in whatever order I choose would be the ideal. Surely it can't be that hard to give us that ability. I don't want to have to go back to OneNote because while I love it on my laptop, the app for my tablet is worse than useless.

So here's my question - where is the right place to give this sort of feedback for things we'd love to see in Evernote?

• Level 5*

The forums are the right place.

This functionality has been requested, and discussed here.

So far, Evernote has shown much interest in implementing this. And they generally don't disclose what's on their road map.

• Level 5*

The forums are the right place.

This functionality has been requested, and discussed here.

So far, Evernote has shown much interest in implementing this. And they generally don't disclose what's on their road map.

much interest > not much interest?

-----------

Something like this exists with the Shortcuts in Mac. Across all clients I am guessing that nothing is simple, especially sorting, which would have to involve some backend work to get everything to sync properly and work with third-party applications.

I have suggested the manual sort as well along with various other sort related inprovements. Thanks for sharing your use case! Hopefully, it will give developers more data to use when considering whether to implement changes.

• 1 month later...

I just logged in to the forum to request this very feature!  I do quite a bit of research for grad school and it would be tremendously helpful to be able to manually drag and drop my notes into a particular order.

It would also be pretty handy for other things... like the shifting priorities of a to-do list.

Hopefully this feature will be implemented.

Thanks!

fenix

• 3 weeks later...

For Uni - being able to sort such things as login sequences or document references would be fabulous. Please please do it soon. Just a simple drag and drop or cut and paste would help.

I'm going to suggest a work-around to get you what you want. It works, but it's not slick and it will require some effort on your part.

Start the title of each Note with a three digit number. (I suggest you start with 010.) The Note that you want to have at the top of the list would get 010. The one you want to be second on the list would get 020. The third gets 030. etc. Then, sort your list of Notes by Title to get them in the custom order that meets your needs.

The point behind numbering them 010, 020, 030, etc. is that you will probably want to change the order some time. For example, suppose you want to change the Note numbered 140 and move it between 010 and 020. Just change the number 140 to, say, 015.

The advantage of using a numbering scheme like this is that after you get your Notes numbered the way you want them, someday you will find it helpful to sort your Notes by some other Evernote field, like Create Date. Once you do that, your custom sort sequence will be screwed up and you won't be able to easily put them back in that order unless you use a numbering scheme like I've suggested. Even if a function were added to Evernote that would allow you to drag and drop your notes into a custom sequence, it would be destroyed when you sorted them on some other field. 

You may find my work-around to be "kludgy" (a technical term!), but it might do the job for you.

I hope you feel it helps.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*

Just an FYI: Reminders (i.e., the special list of notes that have a reminder) can be sorted manually, in all Evernote clients, as far as I know. In the Windows client, it's a little bit non-obvious: you need to click on the Reminders setting icon, and uncheck "Sort Reminders by Date". At that point you can drag reminders up and down in the list. 

Analysts idea might work.  I started numbering my pages, first of all with 1,2,3, etc but when I got to 10, it was placed page before 1! I couldn't change it.   That's why, I suppose, Analyst suggested starting with a zero.  Anyway, I then changed to sorting each set of notes in a group as 1a, 1b, & 1c, etc.  Then when I wanted to insert a subsequent page in a set, I changed the letters in that set to 1aa, 1b etc.  IThat gave me the ability to have almost unlimited pages in each set. 

Would still be better to be able to drag and drop, however.

• 2 months later...

Over the years I have tried most every note-taking and GTD program.  I use Evernote almost exclusively now.  That being said, the only thing that keeps Evernote from being close to perfect is the ability to drag & drop or sort notes as you like.  Omni-Focus, Reminders, Wunderlust, etc. all have that option to name just a few.  I don't understand why Evernote does not come around and implement this.   

The way I understand what was said here is evernote can NOT sort or let you insert a page into a multipage scan.  I scanned a 15 page list that can have changes to any one of the pages that were scanned.  I would like to scan a new page and insert it into the place where the previous page is.  It seems that this can not be done.  Is that correct?

• Level 5*

The way I understand what was said here is evernote can NOT sort or let you insert a page into a multipage scan.  I scanned a 15 page list that can have changes to any one of the pages that were scanned.  I would like to scan a new page and insert it into the place where the previous page is.  It seems that this can not be done.  Is that correct?

Not in Evernote, no, so far as I know.  Scans would generally be stored as PDF attachments (or images). In order to replace a page in a scan, you're need PDF editing software available to you, and you'd need to invoke that editing software by activating the attachment and editing it there.

The advantage of using a numbering scheme like this is that after you get your Notes numbered the way you want them, someday you will find it helpful to sort your Notes by some other Evernote field, like Create Date. Once you do that, your custom sort sequence will be screwed up and you won't be able to easily put them back in that order unless you use a numbering scheme like I've suggested. Even if a function were added to Evernote that would allow you to drag and drop your notes into a custom sequence, it would be destroyed when you sorted them on some other field. 

You've given this a lot of thought. Thanks for the workaround :-)

I was thinking that we could have an additional sort parameter, "Manual", which would give you your manually adjusted note list (through drag and drop). Then, if you wanted to, you could switch your sorting back to title, created or updated as normal. This would help us to avoid tinkering and trying to bubble notes up to the top. This would be awesome if it worked for notebooks too... especially since we can use the notebook search bar if needed. Most people don't necessarily prioritize in terms of alphabetized lists/ notes/ notebooks. The shortcuts list is a better reflection of customizing and prioritizing. I wish the notebooks section (and notes) could work exactly the same way. As a result, many people might be able to narrow down their use of the shortcuts list to include the really necessary stuff, instead of including a notebook that we could have manually sorted to the top of the notebook list.

Archived