saileshpanchal

Markdown WYSIWYG support plz?

Idea

We hadn't specifically planned to support markdown, but we will be releasing an API in a few weeks that third party developers could use to accomplish this.

Thanks

Email, IM, Scheduling, Google Voice, and Joomla:

OK, I have been using Evernote for about a week and a half now and I love it.

So much so that I've gone ahead and signed up for the Developer API so I can make some changes for myself. The question I have is if others are interested enough in them that I should make them more...."open"... Since one of the things you would have to do is authorize my programs from my server to access your account[and also I am /assuming/ Premium accounts for some things.

Functions I need short term:

Expanding email to evernote functionality so that:

A) Markdown is supported, notes sent to evernote will be formatted according to the rules of PHP Markdown Extra....bearing in mind the limitations on HTML in evernote. http://michelf.com/projects/php-markdown/extra/

:( Adding a tag function to Thunderbird so I can add tags to the email header and have them show up

C) Expanding that tag function so I can also include those tags in the body of the email when using my cell phone in some manner

D) Allowing for the ability to specify which notebook to place a note in

Note, this means instead of email to your evernote address, the email gets sent to my server and it will then post via the Evernote API

Scheduling:

I want to create one or more notebooks to keep my todos and such in evernote. The basic concept is that they will be stored in ICAL format and sent over to a Google Calendar, as well, the item is reformatted to include all the scheduling info and such as a text note to be stored in Evernote, with an XML file attachment[hence the premium account to store the XML file]. Ideally, there would be 3 way sync so changes made in evernote would be updated the other 2 systems, and all the way around. Limitations will likely be that you can change the time/date/etc in Google and on the website, but not evernote[since that is in ical], you can change the general notes about the task in Evernote and my site, but not Google[as it would be a file attachment on google], while everything can be changed on my site.

My initial pass will loosely follow the GTD structure for organizing tasks. Loosely as I only know what I read online.

In that way, you can have multiple notebooks in evernote assigned to different categories on my site and assigned to different Google calendars.

[so Projects, Troubleshooting, Research, Kids, and Myself might be 5 categories on my website. Projects, Troubleshooting, and Research all get placed on the "Work" Google Calendar, while Kids and Myself get placed on my "Family" Google Calendar. While in evernote, 5 notebooks. Todays Punchlist, Weekly Punchlist, Monthly Punchlist, Yearly Goals, and Someday

Notes from all 5 categories become tags in those notebooks, and are placed in the notebook based on a combination of due date and priority. So I might NEED to go grocery shopping and it should be today, but even though I've noted a due date of today on it, I can set a priority of "not important" and it will be bumped to the Weekly list.]

IM integration of course means that I can query my AIM bot for some basic info from from the notes.

Google Voice to let me route ALL my calls to Google voice and periodically pick up the data from there and place it in notes[yes, I CAN email it to Evernote, but then it goes into the default notebook...and I don't really like the formatting on the email. I want both the text and the MP3 IN evernote, not a link to the mp3 recording. That way if I sync my Android phone I can listen to the voicemail even if I go out of range.

Finally, Joomla integration. All of the above will use Joomla as a central hub.... at the same time, I like the idea of being able to jot notes and research into Evernote, make a first pass on writing up an article there, and then by either tagging it or using a special notebook, have my Joomla website automatically import and publish it[and if I make changes in the Joomla side, save them back to Evernote in some fashion]

The real question is.... do I do this just for myself... in which case I can hack a bunch of fast, messy code together and be done with it. Or are there others who would want to use it enough to actually go to yet ANOTHER website on a daily basis to make some updates and such when need be?

It's one or the other, once I write it, I'm not going to rewrite it. I'm moving on. So if your interested, let me know!

And as I posted this... I went and copied and pasted it so I would remember my thoughts into....you guessed it, Evernote!

So, add one more integration: for forums *I* use, like PHPBB here, add the ability to save my userid and password on my own site, and then have a notebook for forum posts. Tag the post with the forum names, and have it automatically post the note to the forum for me!

I'm struggling with making the full-fledged payed-user switch to using EN, due entirely to the clunky editor.

I don't blame EN for making a clunky GUI editor. Its hard. Fonts switch when I hit return, links break or won't break when I want them too. I can't figure out how to add a new column or row to a table. And these don't seem like easy things to fix, to me.

I would really prefer some wiki markup language. Any flavor, I don't care which. I will learn it.

I also need some basic text formatters, for rendering snippets of C, java, and latex so they look pretty. I often work to make some overly complicated grep pattern or something, and think "hey, I'd like to throw this into my external brain, tag it, and recall it later" but then I'm struggling with it displaying in Helvetica extra small, and now somehow the period turned into a link to something, and (omg) it seems easier to just write this code snippet on my whiteboard and then take a picture of it. Yikes!

I realize rich text allows lots of fancy looking things to be pasted into EN and "look correct." I don't expect a way to take arbitrary things that are pasted and convert it into some wiki markup language. I just want the option to type in a nice monospaced font and, with a wink and a nod, have EN display it properly when I'm viewing it outside of edit mode. Well, a preview button would be nice too.

I searched for this topic, and didn't find a thread that gave it the justice it deserved. I found a lot of complaints about the editor, about lack of support for richtext on the iphone app, about default font problems, issues with tabs. I wonder how many of these complains would disappear with a sensible enough wiki language, so people could avoid using the slightly flawed wysiwyg editor.

The other features of EN, however, blow me away. Its an otherwise wonderful product.

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback. Wiki markup would be theoretically possible for creating a brand new note, but would be really difficult for editing existing notes since the internal (HTML-based) formatting of an existing note doesn't convert easily into a simplified "wiki" syntax.

This isn't a problem on a real "wiki", since the wiki syntax is their internal representation of an entry, but it would definitely pose a challenge for us, since we support a more rich internal document structure and format.

I definitely agree. I think a new internal representation, or trying to find a way juggle between the two representations, would be hard. Instead, I was thinking EN could store the data the way it does, but detect when I've input text that looks like wiki markup and display it properly outside of edit-mode. Or provide me with some meta syntax (like !wiki-markup or something) to tell EN to ignore all the internal formatting (all the html directives that it normally interprets) when trying to display the note, and instead display the text formatted according to the markup directives it might find.

However, this might be difficult for some people to accept or understand. Also, escaping interpreting those directives could be difficult (the internal representation is so rich, it would be hard for EN to interpret if you are writing a page in EN about wiki-markup, or a page in EN /in/ wiki-markup). I understand its not an easy suggestion to implement.

Maybe its a bad suggestion, but should be interpreted instead as a sign of a problem. I don't really want to turn EN into a wiki. But I do want to turn it into a place where I can do my work, keep lab notes, equations, algorithms, snippits of code.

In EN, its easy to get data into it and its easy to get data out of it. Its not easy to make data inside of it. For note-takers, drafters, list-makers, etc its a real draw back.

I guess I see the same type of comments in this forum from folks who want image editing inside of EN-- a suggestion which I think is a little preposterous. If I want something as complicated as image editing, I would use some other program. When its done, throw it into EN.

For some reason, I don't feel the same way about making a bulleted list, a table, or an equation in latex. I really want to do that inside of EN. Is that wrong? I am really resistant to doing these things somewhere else and throwing it into EN when its "done" (for one thing, because things /I/ produce are never really "done" and I typically want to go back to edit them more, or add things to them.)

I would agree with the fact that evernote needs more options then just RichText(?) format. I have been using John Gruber's Markdown lately and have been becoming more of plain text nerd. Since getting true Markdown syntax highlight/etc would be unlikely for you to support, I'd at least like the option of writing in plain text.

I have an ipod touch, so features like the camera and voice notes do nothing for me. Evernote just takes too long load for simple notes. I was using the Notes app the it comes with. I then heard of simplenote. It's a plain text note taking app that just sync to the simplenote servers. Loading is very fast and would be faster if i had a premium account (which I'm considering) and didn't need to load the ad.

Would it be possible to maybe have a plug in/syntax highlight/etc systemfor people who want there own choice of markup?

Markdown support would be excellent as it would allow for easy cut and past into Textmate or blogging via WordPress. ( There is a plugin for WP, can't remember what its called though. )

:)

+1 for markdown. This would be huge. Nottingham, which is a Simplenote client now offers this and it's great. Would love to see this in Evernote.

Hello --I was wondering if there were any plans to support markdown language w/ EN? I think it would be particularly nice with the limited formatting capability on the iphone app. Thanks for all the great work.

was just thinking this same exact thing as I'm in the process of building a massive lifestreaming application. As I have various notes in evernote I'd love to import via the api. I don't think any of the notes will look right by default and trying to structure them in a meaning full way would be difficult. However, I'd be willing to spend the time to go back and transition my notes to markdown, that way when I aggregate that content back to my site they would render properly.

So with that said, Evernote care to respond?

also why isn't there a 'user satisfaction' or 'user voice' plugin for the evernote site. that way the community could vote and push on which features WE want. :)

side-note: I'm a non-paying user, these types of feature though would be the things that would make me convert :)

At a guess, I'd say no, at least in the short term. All notes that go through the API need to be formatted as ENML. If they were to support it internally (i.e. on the other side of the API), that would mean a change to their ENML specification, something that would affect all clients and the server code as well. To support it externally (client-side) would mean there'd need to be translation back-and-forth between Markdown'd text and ENML. I'd wonder about the fidelity of those translations. Also, how well does markdown work in the rich-text editing world? It's an intriguing idea, particularly in the context of their clients that don't support rich editing and plain text could be turned into text that contains formatting code; maybe that would be something that a third-party application could make some hay with?

None of this means that that I think that it couldn't be done -- I'm just wondering about the feasibility of doing it.

~Jeff

Yes, it's possible to take an initial file in some other formatting system and convert it into HTML. Maintaining a round-trip conversion to go back and forth would be extremely difficult, since full nested HTML is much more rich than simple markup.

This is why you only tend to see markup in systems that use markup as their low-level internal representation. It's not a generic editing format for fully expressed HTML.

thanks for the feedback.

Before my post I had only made a cursory look at the api specification and was aware that jason kaplan had written a python lib for evernote (I'm a django dev) so I knew I had some base libraries to rely on if I wanted to pursue an import methodology.

I hadn't known about the ENML (http://www.evernote.com/about/developer ... c276718743) so I could always provide my own interface on my server to re-construct a structure-presentation model. Good to know.

What spurred all this has been my recent use of markdown. As I've been documenting projects on github, tumblr, and textmate supporting markdown I pretty much write everything in markdown anymore. With that said I don't think there is anything stopping me technically from writing my evernote notes in markdown, just can't see the presentation rules applied.

With all that said, I love how textmate allows me to totally customize the presentation layer to markdown.

anyways thanks gain for the feedback I appreciate it.

Funny - I was just thinking about this and wanting the same feature. Glad I found this thread before posting.

Second Gear has two excellent apps for iOS that both now support Markdown - Markdown Mail and Elements. Elements allows you to create notes using the Markdown syntax, save them as Markdown files, and preview them in-app. It's pretty brilliant. It would be great for notes created in Evernote mobile clients or e-mails that are sent with Markdown syntax to be automatically rendered in Evernote. This would be a great way around the lack of rich text support in iOS, rather than trying to build something yourself.

In the meantime, Markdown Mail is a good workaround for people that want to compose notes with formatting. You can use it to write your note, preview it, and then send it as an HTML message to Evernote. You will however, obviously not be able to edit it in the iOS client without losing formatting.

As a heavy user of Drupal, I can say that I have encountered this more than once in my work and we have found the solution that Drupal provides to be pretty robust. There is a switch on every post that can be toggled for the type of input format or markup. Various input format plugins are available to support various styles. We have typically had to either highlight this feature in the UI or focus heavily on it during training to get good use of it though. Typically we set the most basic filter and allow more advanced filters as needed. There is also a drupal module that allows for user selectable defaults.

I wonder if there is anyway to inexpensively incorporate something similar with Evernote?

It would really good to have the option for markdown in Evernote.

If not as special type of note, but as option for determine plain text note with markup.

I've been using Markdown for notes too. For notes that I'm likely to want to edit, I keep them in Dropbox and use Elements, or Nocs on my iPhone. I only keep a static form on Evernote, because of the problems mentioned here, and in many other threads.

It's a bit odd that a hi-tech gadget like the iPhone takes word processing back to the 1980s. Soon we'll be re-living the heady days of the first WYSIWYG software!

I've been using Markdown for notes too. For notes that I'm likely to want to edit, I keep them in Dropbox and use Elements, or Nocs on my iPhone. I only keep a static form on Evernote, because of the problems mentioned here, and in many other threads.

It's a bit odd that a hi-tech gadget like the iPhone takes word processing back to the 1980s. Soon we'll be re-living the heady days of the first WYSIWYG software!

Now that Steve Jobs has stepped down, maybe the app store will not be quite as restrictive & perhaps iOS devices will eventually be able to play flash.

Ok, maybe not.

+1 for Markdown support

Or tiddlywiki markup support, which I think is the easiest to use wiki markup and is very similar to Markdown.

I, like many others, find that writing in a syntax like Markdown is both powerful and convenient. It leverages the power of common HTML elements like links, images, and text formatting without the friction of extensive markup. Because it begins as plain text, it is extremely portable and easy to write.

Markdown compiles as valid HTML, and I would love to be able to paste this HTML into an Evernote note and have Evernote render this HTML as if it were created in the native Evernote WYSIWYG. Right now, it just attaches a webpage, which I have to open in Safari, which makes me sad because I like staying in Evernote. Being that Evernote notes are already stored as HTML, it would seem logical that one would be able to drop raw HTML into a note and have it represented as if it had originated in the Evernote WYSIWYG.

if you are willing to go the extra mile, you can (for example, export your note as html, paste in your code, and then import your note. that ought to do the trick.

I use applications like OmmWriter or iA Writer to write in but I organize everything in Evernote. For writing long-form content, the Evernote window isn't a great experience. I'd like to see something like Evernote Clearly (simple, minimalist, elegant) but instead of using it to read content in, it would be for creating content.

One could hit a button on the note they're editing and the full screen is taken up by an elegant and distraction-free text editor.

full screen on the mac version does this, right?

personally, i don't do a whole lot of long form writing in evernote. i prefer scrivener. it would be great if the two could integrate somehow (get on that third party developers!) like simplenote or elements does with scrivener.

One could hit a button on the note they're editing and the full screen is taken up by an elegant and distraction-free text editor.

Double-click on a note in one of the Note list views to open the Note in its own window, and then maximize that window to fill the entire screen.

I never thought of Evernote as a writing tool. I often drag pdf's or add web clippings. If I have to compose something longer than a sentence or two I usually use TextEdit and Marked (Multi-Markdown Rendering Tool) and copy-paste or drag the final document in.

I think JMichael has the best method currently available in Evernote.

I also like full-screen, distraction free writing apps for focusing when writing longer pieces. I currently use WriteRoom for this on my mac, and I use QuickCursor to open it up right from Evernote. So, for instance, I create my note, click in the body area for the note, and then hit the shortcut I've defined (Shift+Cmd+E). WriteRoom fires up, I type my note, the Cmd+W to close it and everything I wrote goes right back into the EN note.

Caveat is that this process is all plain text; no formatting allowed.

The nice thing is, it is the same process from any other apps that edit text, so I can always bring up a consistent full-screen window for writing from any app, not just EN.

I prefer this over JMicheal's method just because I've set up writeroom with a nice background and font face that I find pleasant to look at while writing. It is a little more flexible in appearance than EN.

I also have ByWord, which I mostly use for mutli-markdown when writing blog posts, but I have sometimes used it for editing EN notes as well.

Evernote has given no indication it is going to implement plain text anytime soon. Sorry—to you and me and others.

Evernote has given no indication it is going to implement plain text anytime soon. Sorry—to you and me and others.

I don't understand how your comment relates to my post at all. The third-party program QuickCursor only deals with plain text because it is designed to open a text editor, let you edit, then send the edits back to the originating application (Evernote in this case). But you can still use it with Evernote - their lack of a plain text option in EN is irrelevant. QuickCursor still copies out the contents of the note and sends it to a text editor just fine.

The point of my caveat was that if you have a note with formatting (say bullets, bolding, etc), and use QuickCursor to open it in an editor like WriteRoom, make changes, and then send it back to EN, the formatting will be removed. So this solution for a full-screen, distraction free writing environment within EN is not useful for editing notes with formatting in them.

Evernote now has a user base of more than 23 million - I'm guessing that the overwhelming majority have never even heard of markdown or wiki markup.

Given that Evernote's aim is to have the same functionality across all devices, adding either method across 14 (i think it's 14 now) different platforms seems to offer a very small if any ROI. I'm guessing it will never happen.

Apparently, the API is really good - why not try writing a client yourselves?

• Like 1

Another +1 for Markdown support. Because of its portability, it would be useful for a number of writing and publication uses.

I think it would be great if a third-party app supplied the functionality. I use Scrivener. I use Markdown. However, I am not so sure it would be good for Evernote to invest its resources into catering for this crowd. I'd rather see some other features that would bring in more users and make the experience for power users better as well.

+1 for Markdown support.

I love Evernote (at least compared to the current competition) but lack of markdown support is really annoying.

• Like 1

+1 for Markdown support.

I love Evernote (at least compared to the current competition) but lack of markdown support is really annoying.

Hi. Welcome to the discussion forums!

I also would like to see markdown support, but I have a feeling this is something that is best left out of the main app, because frankly speaking, "regular" folk aren't going to find it terribly useful, and Evernote would probably be wasting its resources here. I have no data to back that up. Just a feeling based on the lack of tech savviness in people around me.

The good news is that third-party integrations bring markdown support to Evernote already. You can use multimarkdown to create an Evernote note:

http://brettterpstra.com/a-better-os-x-system-service-for-evernote-notes-with-multimarkdown/

And, there is apparently a service in this year's Evernote devcup (six more days to vote!) that allows you to use markdown syntax in Evernote

http://devcup.evernote.com/submissions/8669-enwiki

I'm fairly confident that markdown won't make it into Evernote in the short to medium term. The Evernote team have to look at their user base and figure out which features give them the most 'bang for bucks". Given that last i heard there were 34 million users and that a fairly small group would find markdown useful, it makes it hard to justify adding it across all the platforms.

• Like 2

I'm fairly confident that markdown won't make it into Evernote in the short to medium term. The Evernote team have to look at their user base and figure out which features give them the most 'bang for bucks". Given that last i heard there were 34 million users and that a fairly small group would find markdown useful, it makes it hard to justify adding it across all the platforms.

Yep. I use Markdown and like it a lot, and would like to see it too. However, I have to admit that it is probably not widespread, and we have to think of features that will be used by hundreds of thousands, or millions of people. Any less than that, and it is a waste of resources.

Yes, Markdown support, please.

Ideally, Evernote would save the Markdown-written content and when the post is not in an edit state, it would render it as HTML. Once you start editing it, it would be editable in the original Markdown format.

Perhaps this is a feature for the minority, but it's a group that writes and blogs online a lot, so they'd be even better advocates for Evernote.

• Like 1

Evernote has a user base of 40+ million and growing. Markdown is a nerd friendly way of writing (I write this as a bit of a nerd myself), implementing a new editor across multiple platforms to satisfy a tiny percentage of the user base strikes me as being so unlikely as to assume that it's never ever going to happen.

• Like 1

+1 for Markdown

I have to disagree with the sentiment that the basic user could not learn how to use Markdown. I don't consider myself a nerd but have picked it up easily. Contrast that with the current horrible, often changing note taking tools in EN. Add TextExpander support for iOS as well.

Users will never learn how to use new features such as these unless you show them how. I thought that was what an innovative software company was supposed to do (see Day One, for example).

+1 for Markdown

I have to disagree with the sentiment that the basic user could not learn how to use Markdown. I don't consider myself a nerd but have picked it up easily. Contrast that with the current horrible, often changing note taking tools in EN. Add TextExpander support for iOS as well.

Users will never learn how to use new features such as these unless you show them how. I thought that was what an innovative software company was supposed to do (see Day One, for example).

Hi. I don't think there is anything difficult about Markdown. I just don't think many users, who are generally looking for WYSIWYG, are using it now, or are interested in learning to use it. People who take blogging seriously, in particular, like it because they can smoothly move from plain text to markup without having all of the tags cluttering up their text. I imagine most users are not moving their notes out of Evernote into blogs, and if they have blogs, they are using WYSIWYG there as well. That's just my impression of the world around me, and I'd be interested in seeing any numbers or other observations that contradict this.

I'm also not sure I want Evernote investing their precious resources into user education as well as a revision of every platform (and the API as well?) in order to achieve (in part) what the existing rich text support already does. As much as I like, use, and prefer Markdown, I don't think it is, or ever will be mainstream.

I'm not sure whether I'm for or against, but I just read a recent Coding Horror post, and *he's* certainly in favor of Markdown, in general : http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2012/10/the-future-of-markdown.html.

Yep. Markdown is cool. Unfortunately, even basic elements get parsed "wrong" in one app and "right" in another, so it is in need of standards. I suppose that would be an argument against employing it. W3C may not have made Evernote possible with their web standards (the basis for Evernote's code), but they (probably) made a lot of things easier.

Ultimately, I think we'd all like to get things like CSS support and Markdown support, but I also think this is stuff ideally suited for third-party integrations (some already exist), because the big numbers are in users who can just download the app and get started without having to "learn" a single thing.

In reply to the assumptions that markdown isn't used by a lot of folks, I'm a "business guy", and I love markdown. A lot of people find it easier to write blogs or technical materials using markdown than with HTML, so what I really, REALLY was hoping was that I could write my blogs in evernote then transfer them to my blog... but alas, no. I would have to completely re-write everything. I think markdown is for *exactly* evernote's user base. People who don't write code but know how to do _this_.

my 2 cents

I'm not sure whether I'm for or against, but I just read a recent Coding Horror post, and *he's* certainly in favor of Markdown, in general : http://www.codinghor...f-markdown.html.

Yep. Markdown is cool. Unfortunately, even basic elements get parsed "wrong" in one app and "right" in another, so it is in need of standards. I suppose that would be an argument against employing it. W3C may not have made Evernote possible with their web standards (the basis for Evernote's code), but they (probably) made a lot of things easier.

Ultimately, I think we'd all like to get things like CSS support and Markdown support, but I also think this is stuff ideally suited for third-party integrations (some already exist), because the big numbers are in users who can just download the app and get started without having to "learn" a single thing.

and to the point about support and standards... Just make it pluggable so users can extend it or select a markdown "flavor". I'd extend it myself if you opened it up for syntaxes like sublime text.

I think Markdown is quite promising. But I don't know which way is better:

To expand current rich text editing or to introduce Markdown.

@yikeouch, why would they expand the current rich text editor? If we wanted that we would use Microsoft word. The purpose of markdown is expressly different than rich text. It allows you just write... text.

@jonschlinkert

I use Markdown to edit my note then turn them into rich text. MS word, Markdown are the same thing to me. I just copy from them and paste on EN. So I think that adding Markdown support equals to expanding text editor of EN.

Given that they've just released major updates to the Mac and iOS clients, I think it's fairly safe to assume that this isn't coming in the short term at least.

I still think it's not coming at all though.

• Like 1

I reckon more people would use markdown if it was available.

More people than are using it now with Evernote, I'd guess.

+1 for Markdown

There are some editors that use it (ByWord, iaWriter, MMD Composer, etc.) They prove that markdown may be a user friendly way to improve typing performance (e.g. with formatting as you type). For example: using * for bullets (provided that there is some auto formatting) is much more straightforward than clicking on a button or Shift-Cmd U ...

A.

Another +1 for Markdown support in Evernote.

It is becoming less of a dialect geek's type and an incredibly effective way to write without being distracted by formatting.

+1 for Markdown support.

Markdown is great for entering text (you keep going without having to take your hands of the keyboard) but for reviewing I still prefer formatted text.

What I'd like to see is 2 fold: a toggle mode to put text in Markdown (for continuous typing) or in final formatting mode (for reading or final review) and secondly a setting that shows a selection of the text in Markdown (section being something 10 lines prior and post where I am typing) while the rest is in final formatting mode (for editing text).

Thanks

+1

I know why I want this, so for the Evernote perspective, they should do this because

1. It fits with the limits of their editor

2. Expands their audience by including people who want a plain text pathway

3. Prevents them being taken over by a copycat who adds markdown and gets the geek-cred and all the Verge/Ars/Boing publicity which goes with that and drives google search links :-)

• Like 1

+1

I know why I want this, so for the Evernote perspective, they should do this because

1. It fits with the limits of their editor

2. Expands their audience by including people who want a plain text pathway

3. Prevents them being taken over by a copycat who adds markdown and gets the geek-cred and all the Verge/Ars/Boing publicity which goes with that and drives google search links :-)

Geek cred. That is the best reason yet! Seriously, Evernote could do with a bit more geek cred every once in a while. By the way, the Verge gave a nice plug for Evernote a couple of days ago along with some other nice apps.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/25/3793484/best-apps-new-mac

"Blah, blah, blah. Markdown is not mainstream. Nobody really uses it. Why bother?"

Day One. Mac App Store app of the year, 2012. Supports Markdown.

Sure, it lacks some of Evernote's features, but this is your competition.

"Blah, blah, blah. Markdown is not mainstream. Nobody really uses it. Why bother?"

I rather doubt EN is shuddering in their boots. But good for those who would like to use it.

I don't think that that's what's coming from Evernote. It's more a matter of what they consider high priority, I'd guess.

Question is, is Markdown support what made it the Mac App Store App of the Year? Or some other feature set?

Problem is, no Day One for Android. No Day One for Windows. So, competition of a sort, but not on all fronts.

As much as I adore Evernote, I'm starting to think about looking for alternatives because of Evernote's lack of Markdown support. My life and most of my work live in Markdown, whether it's in drafts I write in Byword, Journal entries and daily logs in Day One or productivity tools like FoldingText. Evernote is where I keep notes on active and archived projects, reference information and clipped web-pages but I'm finding it increasingly frustrating that there's no good bridge for getting things in Markdown into Evernote easily and cleanly.

My entire workflow would change if Evernote added Markdown support and it would instantly become the most used tool I use instead of being confined to specific areas that I don't need Markdown.

With that said, I totally understand why Evernote wouldn't add Markdown support. The translation to and from ENML would probably be a pain to manage, it may be to specific to power users — particularly those on the Apple side — and might scare or confuse everyone else. Plus they probably want avoid making Evernote more needlessly complex.

FWIW I'm enjoying using Note & Share on iOS to create documents in Markdown on the fly - and sending them to/from other places and Evernote. If you're interested see my blog post on this:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/MartinPacker/entry/appening_1_note_share_on_ios?lang=en

Obviously this is a long way from an "all platforms and clients" solution. But it gets me happily writing on the hoof - and Markdown is much more productive than writing basic HTML.

Funny how this old topic pops up again and again. I would pay to know if/where Markup is on the EN roadmap...

Funny how this old topic pops up again and again. I would pay to know if/where Markup is on the EN roadmap...

Somewhere in the same vicinity as the support for LaTex and for an Esperanto version, I'd guess.

• Like 2

Somewhere in the same vicinity as the support for LaTex and for an Esperanto version, I'd guess.

Mi esperas ke vi malpravas.

• Like 1

@andreb: nice. :)

I should add a request like "allow external editors like emacs or vi to edit notes". THAT would be geeky :-)

As I understand it, if emacs can't already do it, then it can't be done...

As I understand it, if emacs can't already do it, then it can't be done...

Emacs is the Chuck Norris amongst editors. True. (Glad we're not on Reddit, I'd get downvoted immediately)

To add something to the discussion: Found Markable.in yesterday, does pretty much what I'd expect from an inline EN-editor. And - it SYNCS (kind of) with Evernote!

http://markable.in/

Works on the iPad too. Nice one.

Cheers

André

• Like 1

This sort of thing is inevitable, and I'm glad to see it. Evernote has built the framework/ecosystem for 3rd-party application makers to integrate more specialized features that Evernote may not wish to implement on their own, or at least have no time for it. I'd personally like to see the ability to more tightly integrate, like, for example, a plug-in system on the Windows client, which is what I use most. But the API at least makes integration possible, if not ideal.

I think this is the only way that Markdown is going to be included in Evernote in at least the short to mid-term. Given that Mac v5 was a pretty big overhaul and that markdown support wasn't included in the editor, I can't see it happening for quite a while.

Thought I'd check in to see if this made any progress at all. To me a simple toggle between markdown (plain text really) and rich text would be great. 

To whoever stated that markdown was technical or whatever the statement was, read this: https://kdp.amazon.com/community/message.jspa?messageID=465298

If you don't want to add markdown to evernote, how about creating another product: "Evercode"?  If I could have a combination of evernote and sublime text that allowed me to save snippets of code, like GitHub Gists, as well as images and all of the organization/tagging features of evernote, I'd pay good money for that.

• Like 1

In my quest for a better note solution. I just downloaded and tested out Evernote, was a little surprised it doesn't support Markdown.

I would switch to (and pay for) Evernote if it supported Markdown.

@Kettlebell Guy  Not to detract from the desire many of us have for NATIVE Markdown but do you find the e.g. iOS apps that do it not good enough?

I've paid for quite a few iOS markdown apps. Setting aside from the fact the other iOS markdown apps I use all have bugs (some quite annoying), all of them are missing some or more basic features which Evernote includes.

@Kettlebell Guy Maybe I was unclear: I was thinking of Markdown as a quick note TAKING tool - and transfer into Evernote (which Note & Share does) would be good enough for now.