Adding tags to shared notebook

I have search to no avail to find an answer to this question. I am a premium user and am sharing notebooks with my co-workers. I found out yesterday that EN will not let my boss tag a note he created in a shared notebook with a tag that doesn't exist yet. I had to go into the note myself and tag the note.

Is this correct? Is there a work around?

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I am a new Premium user.  I have shared a notebook with a colleague I am collaborating with on a project. Very disappointed she cannot add tags to notes. The reason we chose Evernote was for the purpose of collaborating. It seems she should have the same access and permissions I do.  Anything in the works to solve for this?

• Level 5*

I am a new Premium user.  I have shared a notebook with a colleague I am collaborating with on a project. Very disappointed she cannot add tags to notes. The reason we chose Evernote was for the purpose of collaborating. It seems she should have the same access and permissions I do.  Anything in the works to solve for this?

Relevant discussion is in the linked topic above. A user *can* add tags to shared notes, but only ones that exist in the original account.
  • 4 months later...

Hi there, this is my first post in this forum, and I'm going to write a trick that perhaps is useful for you all.

At the end of the note you put what you would use as a tag but instead of being a tag they are keywords. You put them like this kw:whatever1 kw:whatever2 kw:whatever3 kw:etc...

This way there are no editing, deleting or adding limits. With that placed you can just use saved searches to keep the keywords accesible.

Hope it helps,

cheers.

• 1 month later...

Relevant discussion is in the linked topic above. A user *can* add tags to shared notes, but only ones that exist in the original account.

Actually, that's not entirely true.  Or it doesn't seem to be for us. 

We're having an issue where, even when the creator of the notebook has added and used tags within the notebook, the other users of the notebook can neither see nor use the new tags.

This is incredibly frustrating and may very well defeat our purpose in using Evernote for a shared set of research among several hundred people.

• Level 5*

Seems to work for me, but I work on a smaller scale: I share notebooks -- both ways -- between my personal and work accounts. Not sure why it wouldn't work on a larger scale, unless there's some sync issue involved..

• 3 weeks later...

I've been an Evernote user almost since their beginning, and have been a Premium member for over a year. This is a topic that I have repeatedly complained about to the Evernote team. From what I know, and I use Evernote on three different platforms, pretty much everybody is both right, and wrong about the tagging thing.

The problem is, to date, Evernote has been very sloppy in making sure that the user experience is identical across all platforms. You can do things on the desktop web interface that you can't do on the Android app; you can't do things on the Android app that you can do through the web interface; and you can and can't do a more things through third party apps that use the Evernote API. IOW, it's a mess! Where shared notebooks are concerned, in general:

• Usually, anyone who has full access to a shared notebook is supposed to be able to add, edit, and move notes into the shared notebook. Android users: This may or may not work. The other day I created a new note in one of our shared notebooks. Previous attempts to move notes from my private notebook into a shared notebook have failed, though that's been a couple of months.
  • Supposedly, non-owners of shared notebooks can indeed add tags to their notes, but as someone above said,  only tags that the owner has used in that notebook can, apparently, be added. Of course, Evernote doesn't tell you what those tags are (if someone knows where to see a list, please let me know!), so that's a total dice roll. On android devices, it seems that you can't add tags at all. I always get an "only the owner can add tags" error (may not be quoting that correctly). But on the web interface, and on the third party API, I have been able to add tags if/when I'm lucky enough to guess right and choose one that had already been applied.
  • Don't bother paying for a "business" account to get better tagging functionality. It doesn't really add any. It just lets you share a notebook with a bunch of people at the same time.

So that's what I know, from over here in my little corner. :) Hope it clears things up for some folks. Maybe if we scream loud enough we can get Evernote to correct this problem as, for those of us small business people who are trying t be efficient, the inability of everyone who belongs to a notebook to help keep things organized is really, really a pain!

• Level 5*

In the Windows client, I see the shared tags in my tag list in the left panel, mixed with my own account's tags. They display with the shared account name tacked on in parens, e.g. "MyTag (jefito)". They show that way in the Tags panel (click on the "Tags" header in the tag list).

I also see them in the tag list in the Android client, which you get if you slide out the panel from the left side of the screen, and then select Tags, also mixed with my account's tags. These do not have the shared account name tacked on, so you cannot distinguish between the same tag used in multiple accounts.

They don't appear together with my account's tags in the web client, probably becase shared notebooks (aka "Joined Notebooks") do not appear commingled with my own account's notebooks.

Note of caution: I am running beta releases of both the Android and Windows client, so your mileage may vary.

In the Windows client, I see the shared tags in my tag list in the left panel, mixed with my own account's tags. They display with the shared account name tacked on in parens, e.g. "MyTag (jefito)". They show that way in the Tags panel (click on the "Tags" header in the tag list).

I also see them in the tag list in the Android client, which you get if you slide out the panel from the left side of the screen, and then select Tags, also mixed with my account's tags. These do not have the shared account name tacked on, so you cannot distinguish between the same tag used in multiple accounts.

They don't appear together with my account's tags in the web client, probably becase shared notebooks (aka "Joined Notebooks") do not appear commingled with my own account's notebooks.

Note of caution: I am running beta releases of both the Android and Windows client, so your mileage may vary.

Then you must be seeing what's coming, and it sounds great!  :) Hopefully, they'll let non-owners add tags too. Unfortunately, I run Linux, not Windows, so I have to use either the desktop web interface, or a 3rd party program that uses the API (of which I have two, so that I can see the differences).

• 2 months later...

I am joining the Evernote members who are frustrated that a shared notebook does not allow other users to add tags.  Why can't this be an option for the creator of the notebook?  I would be happy to upgrade to Premium if this would be allowed. It is slowing down my project since the other users have to tell me of any additional tags to content so I can add it.  Is there any chance this will be changed in the near future?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

+1 . A user who is able to edit a note should also be able to add new tags, that is, creating a new tag, and assign this tag to a note.

I understand you may want to NOT allow a user to add tags to a note. But if you give edit permissions for a given note to a user, one might argue that editing the content of the note is much more important than creating a new tag & assigning it to this note. Hence this should be something included in the "edit note" permission.

Fine graining the permission to enable or disable the "creation of tags & assigning it to a note" should be left to the note owner. Not something enforced by default by evernote.

+1 . A user who is able to edit a note should also be able to add new tags, that is, creating a new tag, and assign this tag to a note.

I understand you may want to NOT allow a user to add tags to a note. But if you give edit permissions for a given note to a user, one might argue that editing the content of the note is much more important than creating a new tag & assigning it to this note. Hence this should be something included in the "edit note" permission.

Fine graining the permission to enable or disable the "creation of tags & assigning it to a note" should be left to the note owner. Not something enforced by default by evernote.

I strongly support Evernote adding the "logical" function of choosing to allow a shared notebook user to creat tags.

Hope to see an update to Evernote on this issue ASAP.

It will make a good program better!  Come on Evernote you can do it!!

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to add another request for this? tagging is one of the most basic features of evernote - without the ability to collaboratively tag, what is the point of a shared notebook? So frustrating to find that while evernote has been trying to get me to use shared notebooks for months and when I finally do, the functionality is so restricted. 

• 1 month later...

+1

Me and My Husband are both premium customers of evernote and we share a LOT of notebooks. Neither of us can add tags to each others notebooks which makes it absolutely frustrating. I can't reach out to him every time I want to clip an article that needs a new tag so he can add it first.. THIS MAKES NO SENSE

Collaboration means no restrictions. 

Just like you have permissions for Read and Write, just add another field with Permissions for Tagging! Let the customers decide if they want their tags flooded or not! 

This requirement was first raised by someone in 2011!

Evernote - Please listen to your customers!!!  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Given how many years this issue has been left unaddressed, I can only assume it's like pretty much everything else Evernote: it's an issue for us, not them, because they have no real competition, forcing them to up their game. So long as they're the only solution on the web for a comprehensive cloud based note storage/filing platform, they have no real reason to address subscriber concerns. Adding to the ever growing stream of (often half baked) new "features", so they can continue grow their subscriber base (and revenue stream), is the top priority I'm sure. For those of us already inside the silo, they just need to keep us happy enough not to go away.

I keep hoping for some upstart startup to come shift the paradigm. Not because I want to leave Evernote, but so that issues like this one (and a good many others I can think of) will get addressed and fixed in a timely manner. 

• 2 weeks later...

It is truly absurd that this functionality isn't available, at least to Premium users. It's extremely frustrating to submit tag requests to notebook owners...Horrible UX that is enough to turn our team to another product with simpler collaboration.

• 2 weeks later...

+100500 for this feature! It's a reason why me and my mates think about finding alternative to Evernote. 

We use it for keeping the shared database of links structured with tags, and we all want to add tags.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice to have a monopoly, isn't it? As I've said, and others in this thread, this company needs a serious competitor. They remind me of the U.S. Government: Lots of features to brag about, most of which are half baked or poorly thought out. But they make good talking points and generate "growth", which from the company's perspective, is all they need.

Thank you all paying subscribers that are used for getting some support for a paid service.

I finally had some time to respond to your complaints.

On 26 June 2015 at 5:12 PM, jadhavr said:

Evernote - Please listen to your customers!!!

Why should they? keep paying and shut up.

On 9 July 2015 at 0:35 AM, Harry Slaughter said:

2+ years and this still isn't fixed?

They are inches away from getting this issue solved please hold your breath for 5-10 years more of premium subscription.

On 25 December 2015 at 1:18 AM, Tammo Peters said:

Are there any updates about this problem?

What problem are you talking about? you keep paying, they don't address any issue, there's no problem.

On 13 October 2014 at 6:49 PM, Karen1 said:

Is there any chance this will be changed in the near future?

Don't count on it.

On 13 April 2015 at 1:42 PM, facer03 said:

Come on Evernote you can do it!!

They rather not

On 2 September 2013 at 10:35 AM, niclagi said:

I would be interested in this too. 

So what??? pay and keep quiet 

If you haven't got it yet, or don't care for those answers, feel free to cancel and move to the competitors. just keep in mind that you will have to let go of the innovative chat feature which will change the way people are communicating in the foreseen future.

Please get-it and start packing your data.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me add one more voice to the chorus here. Adding tags to shared folders regardless of who created the folder is an essential feature. Not allowing others to generate tags for your shared folder is a control option, but should not be the default. This creates an unnecessary burden on collaboration. Please address!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Equally frustrated that new tags cannot be created and used by users, or at least relative tags created by the owner could be displayed in the header of the Notebook and applied by users. C'mon, Evernote.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2016 at 7:33 PM, auntie em said:

desperately need this feature - I'm a realtor and my partner and I share content on Evernote - trying to organize things (business and personal) and have discovered how useful tags are - they're a real game changer.  http://michaelhyatt.com/evernote-tags.html

please fix!!  We cannot organize files that are shared!!  what's the hold-up?

Good luck with that! And don't hold your breath. We've been asking for this feature for over two years -- and have been totally blown off. If you can find an alternative to Evernote, I'd switch now, before you get invested. (And if you do, let the rest of us know. There are a lot of people here in your position.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Tags,  I agree,  in shared notebooks are a pain;  it will be nice to have them working effectively... at some point.  Since I need to get on with life however I moved on to Tables of Content and Note Links.  Tagging is a convenient way of herding a series of notes into a coherent group.  If those (shared) notes are instead listed in another (shared) note,  and all my lists are shown in a "table of contents" (which is just another list) I can invite my guests to look at a note sitting at level 1 of my hierarchy,  which lists all the options available.  If someone then chooses a level 2 option,  they'll see all the level 3 notes listed for consideration - and so on.

A single note URL can exist in more than one list - like having multiple tags;  and providing a 'back up' link to the previous list(s) helps visitors find their way around.

Some ingenuity may be necessary to apply this idea to different use cases,  and it may not fit all;  and if you have multiple contributors to content you'll need overall agreement on the correct structure - but that also applies to normal tagging.

This is only a possible work-around,  and I'm not suggesting it should be a permanent solution;  but what's important to me is that it works reliably now and hasn't (yet) caused me any major hassle... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chiming in... appears this is still an issue. I'm a premium subscriber and we're testing Evernote out has a knowledge repository for our company. Having shared users in a Notebook be able to add tags is pretty important. Let's make it happen Evernote! Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Bumping this because it's been causing me grief for two months. My workaround was to duplicate every "type" of notebook onto another account and share the duplicate notebook between both accounts.

This is less than ideal, as it clogs up the UI and makes using Collections a mess.

@Evernote: Please implement this. I pay for multiple premium accounts and it's my #1 quality of life complaint; I would be quite tempted to move if another service supported this.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

As the owner of some shared notebooks I'm increasingly frustrated because folks will keep asking for new tags that either already exist or are totally redundant in the tagging system which 'should' apply.  I'm only glad that they need to ask me first,  because otherwise my existing tag structure would be completely submerged in the several different structures that various people seem to have in their head.  I don't think it would be a good idea to give everyone access to create new tags - maybe if it could be offered as an option with view / edit / edit and add tags?

• 11 months later...

Archived