Add text to existing note via email

Hi,

I am trying to add text to an existing note by email.

Let's say I have an existing note with the title 'Travel'

I want to add some text to that note. So I send an email to my evernote email address with 'Travel +' in the subject line.

But it doesn't seem to work...

Any suggestion?

PGH

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm hoping to revive this thread.  Here is Evernote's description of the process:

To add some text to an existing note, put a "+" at the end of your subject line and we'll place the body of the email into the most recent note with that title.

I have an existing note named "ThinkingOutLoud".  I email to Evernote with Subject: "ThinkingOutLoud +" but it consistently creates a new note (called "ThinkingOutLoud") rather than appending to the existing note.  Any ideas?  Thanks for your help.

I'm hoping to revive this thread.  Here is Evernote's description of the process:

To add some text to an existing note, put a "+" at the end of your subject line and we'll place the body of the email into the most recent note with that title.

I have an existing note named "ThinkingOutLoud".  I email to Evernote with Subject: "ThinkingOutLoud +" but it consistently creates a new note (called "ThinkingOutLoud") rather than appending to the existing note.  Any ideas?  Thanks for your help.

What is the source of that description, mbc? I have never heard about it before, and can confirm that it does not work. This information seems to be apocryphal, or at least wildly inaccurate.

The information is accurate.  It's a useful feature that I use often.  I just tried a note with your exact subject "ThinkingOutLoud" and sent a note with the + sign and it worked.  Maybe you have a newer note with the same name?

The information is accurate.  It's a useful feature that I use often.  I just tried a note with your exact subject "ThinkingOutLoud" and sent a note with the + sign and it worked.  Maybe you have a newer note with the same name?

But there's no mention of this feature in any of the public documentation I can find. That makes it apocryphal.  I believe it's because it's unreliable. After a few more tests here, it seems that sometimes it works as described, sometimes it doesn't and makes a new note, sometimes the text is appended to the wrong notebook. That makes in inaccurate.

But there's no mention of this feature in any of the public documentation I can find. That makes it apocryphal.  I believe it's because it's unreliable. After a few more tests here, it seems that sometimes it works as described, sometimes it doesn't and makes a new note, sometimes the text is appended to the wrong notebook. That makes in inaccurate.

It is documented in their email they send out when you first email notes in to Evernote.  It seems to work as described for me but may be unreliable in some cases.

Thanks for your responses and tests.  To confirm: Yes, the description of this feature comes directly from the an email Evernote sends.

After further experimenting, it does seem to work sometimes and not others.  My best guess is that there is a time delay.  If I send the email then go immediately to the Evernote desktop app and sync, it makes a brand new note.  But if I send the email and wait a few minutes (sometimes even longer) before syncing at the desktop app, everything works as advertised.

Trying to use this on Windows as I have the same emails from Evernote.

Never tried to use this feature, but just tried and found that it does indeed create another Note in the Notebook it was sent to.

Pity, that could be a useful feature if I could get it going.

Will try a couple of variations.

Regards

Chris

Tried several different ways of doing this but all of them failed.

Then I realised that the email message is a bit contradictory:

To add some text to an existing note, put a " +" at the end of your subject line and we'll place the body of the email into the most recent note with that title.

It doesn't say, but you would assume that you add the name of the 'Note' after the +

I tried just putting the + at the end and sending it to the Notebook to see if it would add to the most recent Note. It didn't work. (@Diary - 2013+)

I tried putting + either side of the Note name. It didn't work. (@Diary - 2013+130325 - General+)

I obviously tried putting the + then the name of the Note. That didn't work. (@Diary - 2013+130325 - General)

I tried various combinations of having spaces before and after the + and couldn't get them to work either.

So I guess I must be doing something wrong.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Chris

I was also getting a new note each time I tried this but I thinks it's as simple as ensuring you have a space between the subject text and the +. Works for me every time this way.

Hope this helps others.

It is documented in their email they send out when you first email notes in to Evernote.  It seems to work as described for me but may be unreliable in some cases.

I have never received such an email. But seeing how unreliable the feature is, I guess it's no wonder, they don't go out of their way to promote it.

Edit: I decided to check the validity of the statement of never having received such an email. It turns out, I have. However, this is how it reads in its entirety:

Emailing to Evernote: Tips to Help You Organize

Congrats! You've just emailed a note to your Evernote account. Did you know that you can send it to
to a specific notebook and assign tags to it? Here's how:

1. Select a destination notebook for your email by adding @[notebook name] to the end of the subject line.
2. Add tags to your note by typing  #[tag name] at the end of the subject line. This feature works with existing tags in your account.
3. To designate a destination notebook and add tags, be sure to list the notebook name before the tags.

An example subject:
Fwd: Recipe for Bouillabaisse @Recipes #soup #fish #french

Happy emailing and organizing in Evernote!

Thanks,

- The Evernote team

No mention of the appending text feature. This is from february 2012. 

Tried several different ways of doing this but all of them failed.

Then I realised that the email message is a bit contradictory:

To add some text to an existing note, put a " +" at the end of your subject line and we'll place the body of the email into the most recent note with that title.

It doesn't say, but you would assume that you add the name of the 'Note' after the +

I tried just putting the + at the end and sending it to the Notebook to see if it would add to the most recent Note. It didn't work. (@Diary - 2013+)

I tried putting + either side of the Note name. It didn't work. (@Diary - 2013+130325 - General+)

I obviously tried putting the + then the name of the Note. That didn't work. (@Diary - 2013+130325 - General)

I tried various combinations of having spaces before and after the + and couldn't get them to work either.

So I guess I must be doing something wrong.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Chris

If you're trying to append to an existing note, use the same subject line but add a + at the end of the subject line. I just tried this & it worked for me.

Hi BnF,

My apologies, but I am just not understanding this very well!

Let me give you a scenario.

Notebook called 'Diary - 2013'

Note called '130326 - General'

I have an email I want to append to the the above Note.

So I forward the email to my Evernote email address using the following subject line and all failed:

130326 - General+

130326 - General +

130326 - General@Diary - 2013+

130326 - General@Diary - 2013 +

At least the last two made it into the correct Notebook!

I know this is going to be so simple, but please put me out of my misery!

Best regards

Chris

Hi BnF,

My apologies, but I am just not understanding this very well!

Let me give you a scenario.

Notebook called 'Diary - 2013'

Note called '130326 - General'

I have an email I want to append to the the above Note.

So I forward the email to my Evernote email address using the following subject line and all failed:

130326 - General+

130326 - General +

130326 - General@Diary - 2013+

130326 - General@Diary - 2013 +

At least the last two made it into the correct Notebook!

I know this is going to be so simple, but please put me out of my misery!

Best regards

Chris

Just send the subsequent emails with this subject line:

130326 - General +

AND...if you are FORWARDING an email, be sure the subject line is EXACTLY what I posted above & does not include the of' prepended FW: text.  Otherwise, the subject line is not an exact match to the existing note in Evernote.

• 4 weeks later...

I just tried this and it works if you ensure a space after the notebook name or tags, and just use a + and no other text.

This Works->  EngagementID-UserAlias @Participant List + 

These don't - >

EngagementID-UserAlias @participant list +eXTRA iNFO

EngagementID-UserAlias @Participant list +Extra text for the note

I would be so pleased to get this working!

For me using the name of the Note with a space then the '+' sends an email to my default Notebook arriving as a New Note.

Very annoying!

Have tried to do this with both my Business and Private Notebooks. Am guessing the problem is associated with the Business account.

Regards

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

I have never received such an email. But seeing how unreliable the feature is, I guess it's no wonder, they don't go out of their way to promote it.

Edit: I decided to check the validity of the statement of never having received such an email. It turns out, I have. However, this is how it reads in its entirety:

Emailing to Evernote: Tips to Help You Organize

Congrats! You've just emailed a note to your Evernote account. Did you know that you can send it to
to a specific notebook and assign tags to it? Here's how:

1. Select a destination notebook for your email by adding @[notebook name] to the end of the subject line.
2. Add tags to your note by typing  #[tag name] at the end of the subject line. This feature works with existing tags in your account.
3. To designate a destination notebook and add tags, be sure to list the notebook name before the tags.

An example subject:
Fwd: Recipe for Bouillabaisse @Recipes #soup #fish #french

Happy emailing and organizing in Evernote!

Thanks,

- The Evernote team

No mention of the appending text feature. This is from february 2012. 

I just upgraded to a premium account a week ago and I got this email. Is it possible to be a premium only feature? (Had an evernote account since 2010 & only just got that email after upgrading.) Or possibly it is a recent premium feature and your account accidentally got missed.

hth

I just upgraded to a premium account a week ago and I got this email. Is it possible to be a premium only feature? (Had an evernote account since 2010 & only just got that email after upgrading.) Or possibly it is a recent premium feature and your account accidentally got missed.

hth

I do not think it is a premium feature. And I think they only send this e-mail when you first time send an e-mail to your Evernote-account. They could have started to add the information sometime after I received one.
  • 1 month later...

I have tested this recently and it does not seem to work. I have a premium account, and I have used all permuations described in this forum thread. Has anyone else been able to get this to work?

If you're trying to append to an existing note, use the same subject line but add a + at the end of the subject line. I just tried this & it worked for me.

I have tested this recently and it does not seem to work. I have a premium account, and I have used all permuations described in this forum thread. Has anyone else been able to get this to work?

Unfortunately, it is not working for me - I have tried it several times. I email the note to Evernote with the exact subject line only adding a single space and the "+", all it will do is create a new note. My next step is to create a brand new note and experiment with that.

Solved.... I think. At least it worked this time.

It seems that spaces in the note title causes problems (?). I removed all spaces from the note title and then tried it with success.

Next step is to see if I can add a pdf to an existing note in the same way.

If I have to create note titles without spaces to use this feature, it will be very inconvenient! If anyone has another experience please share.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I received an email from Evernote more recently (possibly an update after Reminders were added). Mine said

Evernote Tip: Sending Email into Evernote

You just emailed a note into your Evernote account. Well done!

Here's a tip: Evernote can automatically tag and file notes you email based on the content and subject. To enable Smart Filing, go to your Personal Settings.

Or, you can send notes into specific notebooks and assign tags by adding some simple information to the subject of the email. Here's how:

• Notebook: Add @notebook name to the end of the subject line.

• Tag: Add #tag name at the end of the subject line. This feature works with existing tags in your account.

• Reminder: Indicate a note is a reminder by adding ! in the subject line. Add !tomorrow to set a notification for tomorrow, !dayofweek (i.e. !tuesday) to be notified on that day, or pick a specific date using the format !YYYY/MM/DD.

Be sure to follow this order: subject, reminder, notebook name, tags.

An example subject:
Fwd: Recipe for Bouillabaisse !2013/06/01 @Recipes #soup #fish #french

The Evernote team

The implication is that perhaps this won't work if you have Smart Filing enabled?

And the tip would have been a little clearer if they had given the options in the order they have to be in the subject, i.e. Reminder, Notebook, tags and finally " +".

Julie

• 4 months later...

Adding my two cents into this thread:

I was wanting to forward an e-mail to attach to an existing note. The title of the original note was in this format: "word1 word2 word3 - word4 word5 word6"

I entered that title followed by a space and then the (+) at the end of the subject line of the forwarded e-mail and sent it off.  It did not work. It simply added a new note in my default folder.

I removed the hyphen in the title of my original note. Left all the spaces between the words. And tried the above again with the new title, adding the space and the (+) to the end of the subject line and sent it away. This worked beautifully.

But here's the thing...

All of the above only worked AFTER I first moved the original note from a specified folder and into my default folder.

Apparently, you can't designate a folder if you are to use the append note feature. I tried all combinations to no avail e.g. putting the @notebook before the (+) and vice versa.

At least that is what I have found thus far. Hopefully that can be fixed as the append feature is quite useful!

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello. Since this is an old topic, it may already be solved for everyone involved, but since I ran into the problem today and found this thread, I'll post what I've discovered. It seems, at least in some cases, that if you have the "auto-filing" feature turned on in your Evernote preferences, it could override the "+" command. I learned this a few minutes ago when I tried tried testing the feature by creating a Test Note and forwarding a random work email with the same subject and "+."

Except the random work email never appended, and never even appeared in my default notebook even though I never used the "@" comment to specify another notebook. Turns out, the random work email was re-routed to my work notebook (and was assigned a couple tags)... When I turned off the "auto-filing" feature in my preferences and tried again, it worked!

Archived