Searchable PDF

Tom I.

I am embarking on a year long (2013) Paperless journey and have assembled all the tools (I think!) I will need to really get started.

I have one lingering point of confusion I am hoping someone can help me out in this Fourm.

I am currently using the Free version of Evernote and have found it great. I have also purchased the Doxie Go scanner.

It is my understanding that Doxie Go performs OCR on all my documents and although they are saved as PDFs they can be searchable via text. However, I have read that in order to have searchable PDFs fon Evernote you need to upgrade to the Premium service.

Obviously, I would like to not pay the extra money for Premium at this point. I am not ruling it out all together, and I assume if much of my life becomes documented in Evernote that will become a logical expense. However, at this point, since I am still working this all out, I don't want to rush into paying for something I don't need to.

So what's the deal with searching for text for PDFs in Evernote? If your scanner produces a searchable file, is the Premium service unnecessary?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

• Level 5*

I would suggest you just give it a go. Scan something into Evernote and then search on text that is within the document. I believe it will be found since you are doing the OCR with the scanner.

• Level 5*

I am embarking on a year long (2013) Paperless journey and have assembled all the tools (I think!) I will need to really get started.

I have one lingering point of confusion I am hoping someone can help me out in this Fourm.

I am currently using the Free version of Evernote and have found it great. I have also purchased the Doxie Go scanner.

It is my understanding that Doxie Go performs OCR on all my documents and although they are saved as PDFs they can be searchable via text. However, I have read that in order to have searchable PDFs fon Evernote you need to upgrade to the Premium service.

Obviously, I would like to not pay the extra money for Premium at this point. I am not ruling it out all together, and I assume if much of my life becomes documented in Evernote that will become a logical expense. However, at this point, since I am still working this all out, I don't want to rush into paying for something I don't need to.

So what's the deal with searching for text for PDFs in Evernote? If your scanner produces a searchable file, is the Premium service unnecessary?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

I do OCR with Adobe. Here are some results I have found.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/8b3b9cc6-9b98-49d4-ab10-0f95e7bc1fde/e3970b9f1c499d78aab85e8d1f58f252

Here are some tips I have for optimizing your experience -- note that I have very few PDFs in my account.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/29245-how-to-optimize-your-evernote-experience/#entry173506

Premium has lots of benefits besides OCR. These include offline notebooks and faster support. Of course, it is also nice to pay for a company that makes your life better, but that is something you can think about down the road :)

Good luck with the scanning!

Archived