(Archived) Strategy to manage files bigger than 100 MB

Sugeeth Krish

• Evernote Expert

Hi, i would like to know how people manage some of their videos which are linked to text in their EN accounts. One way would be to cut the video into multiple parts and naming posts 1-2-3.. etc, or convert a video format to a smaller size with lesser quality.

Sometimes, one video file can be 200 Mb, and since most of the time, i don't use more than 200 -300 Mb/month in a premium account ( thereby wasting 700 Mb/month), can't EN make a flexible change that can allow users to be flexible within their 1GB quota, or is there a work around to this problem?

P.S: I can upload the video on other services like Dropbox or Gdrive and do a link note, but somehow, i feel that if the data resides within EN, i feel more productive.

• Level 5

EN is not the ideal place to upload really LARGE files. Also, unless you have a superfast Internet connection uploading can also be cruelly slow.

• Level 5*

EN is not the ideal place to upload really LARGE files. Also unless you have a superfast Internect connection uploading can also be cruelly slow.

And, if you ever have to do an initial install, it will take a very long time. There are all sorts of issues to consider once you start moving away from plain text, especially when the content is not searchable.

• Evernote Expert

EN is not the ideal place to upload really LARGE files. Also, unless you have a superfast Internet connection uploading can also be cruelly slow.

I agree with what you say, if it isn't great to upload large files, shouldn't EN be taking cognizance of this fact and trying to provide a smoother system? We've had this farcical arguement of trying to work around EN's flaws for a really huge time now.

• Level 5

I agree with what you say, if it isn't great to upload large files, shouldn't EN be taking cognizance of this fact and trying to provide a smoother system? We've had this farcical arguement of trying to work around EN's flaws for a really huge time now.

Some users are trying to make Evernote do everything for everybody.

This is the real farcical "arguement" [sic].

• Level 5*

If EN is not the place to store attachments, big files, videos etc then what is the purpose of a premium account with 1gb space, i'd like to know?

You certainly "can" put 24-36GB of content into your account every year if you would like. Perhaps you won't encounter any issues, and everything will work smoothly for you. In my case, I had a lot of difficulty, and the "cost" of having a large database outweighed the benefits (as I wrote about in my other post).

I don't know if it is "right" or "wrong," but the system is what it is. I think it will continue to improve over time, but I cannot predict how much, in what ways, or how soon that might happen; hence, my suggestions for optimizing your account to make the best of what we currently have.

• Evernote Expert

When Evernote allows you to upload 1gb/month, there is an inherent meaning that video is also allowed. ( How else would one touch 1 Gb/month is way beyond me? ). And when we talk video today in 2012, even a small presentation of 30 minutes in pretty decent resolution of 480p will be way beyond 200 Mb. And i want to know how best to manage the system, else there is no way, i will end up using what i pay for.

If Evernote allows me to dump 1 Gb of data/month, then i will upload 1gb of data. It is my right and that is what i pay for. If EN allows 1gb/user, then it is obvious that their systems and hardware are good enough ( or should be good enough) to handle content. That is what i pay for, and i demand on behalf of those premium users like me, who pay but don't get the full potential benefits of the system. If the Evangelists dont upload content in EN thinking it will slow the system down, good for them. But the obvious common logic would be for us to ask Evernote why things are slowing down, when EN itself has given us the right to upload 1GB, rather than saying i don't upload so much. If you don't, then good for you. There are no restrictions in EN that restrict to any file, so why is the system then slowing down when we upload content?

Just because some evangelist doesn't like me criticizing flaws in Evernote, i can't change my ways. I only point out flaws in the system so that they are rectified, and many of my concerns have been shared by other users as well. If you have a system that can point out conflicting errors between 2 notes, then it is only logical that the system has in itself a remedial measure to also do a version compare and a correction mechanism, and for a service that has seen so many years and so many million users. Exporting the notes and comparing them externally is nothing short of a nightmare. And if we point this out, the evangelists bring out their guns in support of EN.

Some users are trying to make Evernote do everything for everybody.

Evernote need not do anything for everybody, but atleast, it can do what it promises, right? Can one of these evangelists kindly let me know, if we aren't adding attachments or video, how on earth can we absorb 1gb of data?

One simple question: no video, no heavy attachments - why do we need 1gb/data then?

• Evernote Expert

If EN is not the place to store attachments, big files, videos etc then what is the purpose of a premium account with 1gb space, i'd like to know?

You certainly "can" put 24-36GB of content into your account every year if you would like. Perhaps you won't encounter any issues, and everything will work smoothly for you. In my case, I had a lot of difficulty, and the "cost" of having a large database outweighed the benefits (as I wrote about in my other post).

I don't know if it is "right" or "wrong," but the system is what it is. I think it will continue to improve over time, but I cannot predict how much, in what ways, or how soon that might happen; hence, my suggestions for optimizing your account to make the best of what we currently have.

Then, why are we paying grumpy? This is like going to a pizza outlet, and the pizza guy only gives you the pizza without the flake and the sauce. Technically speaking, he is right. The primary purpose of going to a pizza outlet is to serve pizza. Fair enough. But, it is understood by default that a pizza outlet should also provide sauce and spices. But, if you question this : it looks like a strong man pushing you aside and telling you, "You got the pizza right. Now shut up and eat it, else leave."

• Level 5

One simple question: no video, no heavy attachments - why do we need 1gb/data then?

One simple answer: Evernote does not claim to be a Movie storage vehicle.

• Evernote Expert

1. I think that your pretty naive to understand that videos don't necessarily have to be movies.

2. They can be purely technical videos as well. And for your reference the HEVC standard explanation video encoded at 360p for roughly 45 minutes file size is 140Mb. Go check that on youtube, if you wish. Any attempt to reduce the video quality further to reduce size, result in distortions, defeating the purpose of further compression.

3. It would be stupid to have text related information on EN, and the video linked seperately in dropbox or google drive when i pay for EN, and worse that, i have so much free space left in my EN account.

One simple answer: Evernote does not claim to be a Movie storage vehicle.

And as for your extra ordinarily intelligent reply ( or i guess you presume that way), please refer to this post from the official EN blog. :

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2011/09/07/evernote-removes-file-type-restrictions-for-free-accounts/

The reason we lifted our file restriction is that we want to allow our users to store everything related to an experience or memory in a single, visual, searchable place.

So, technically, even if i uploaded legal movies in an EN account, it wouldn't be illegal. By telling users that EN accepts any file, EN does not have to explicitly tell users that it supports video (or movies as you would like to call it) as well. Since using the word "stupid" may be deemed to be offensive, i have used the word "naive".

• Evernote Expert

Hmm.. yeah, so do i? Your just one of those evangelists without a tag, who would agree if EN said that 2+3=23, and not use your own head. Thankfully, EN was not that stupid. It is easy to call someone or accuse him of being a troll, when you don't have the answers to the questions he raises. :D

• Level 5*
When Evernote allows you to upload 1gb/month, there is an inherent meaning that video is also allowed. ( How else would one touch 1 Gb/month is way beyond me? ).

I easily did it with PDFs, and it would take me several years of maxing out my monthly limits to get my approximately 1TB worth of PDFs (and some other types of files) into Evernote. This does not include movies or sound files.

If Evernote allows me to dump 1 Gb of data/month, then i will upload 1gb of data. It is my right and that is what i pay for.

Of course it is, and no one is stopping you from doing it. I was only offering a suggestion based on my experience of doing something similar (in my case, breaking up large PDF files in order to get them into Evernote). You are free to ignore everything I say, and maybe I took away the wrong lessons from my experience.

If the Evangelists dont upload content in EN thinking it will slow the system down, good for them. But the obvious common logic would be for us to ask Evernote why things are slowing down, when EN itself has given us the right to upload 1GB, rather than saying i don't upload so much. If you don't, then good for you. There are no restrictions in EN that restrict to any file, so why is the system then slowing down when we upload content?

I have made many suggestions on the forums in this regard. For example, I have suggested feature parity across clients so that not only the mobile, but also the desktop versions of software enable offline/online toggles for notebooks. This would solve at least two problems: long initial syncs and insufficient local storage space for ever-expanding Evernote databases. Whether Evernote does this or not is up to them.

Just because some evangelist doesn't like me criticizing flaws in Evernote, i can't change my ways. I only point out flaws in the system so that they are rectified, and many of my concerns have been shared by other users as well. If you have a system that can point out conflicting errors between 2 notes, then it is only logical that the system has in itself a remedial measure to also do a version compare and a correction mechanism, and for a service that has seen so many years and so many million users. Exporting the notes and comparing them externally is nothing short of a nightmare. And if we point this out, the evangelists bring out their guns in support of EN.

I am not sure that an attack on all Evernote Evangelists is appropriate here. Speaking for myself, I don't remember saying I don't like you criticizing Evernote (I do it too) and I have also requested that something be done to address problems that arise with the current way of dealing with conflicting modifications. In particular, the iOS system has caused me months of agony. I have reported this in many places on the forums, and the developers have listened as well. Whether they decide to do something about this is up to them.

Lots of use cases out there. I used up my entire 1GB last month just uploading the text (only text) extracted from some of my PDFs.

• Level 5*

I do store video in Evernote, but I understand the restrictions of the system which is currently 100mb for a note and 1gb a month (unless I choose to buy more). So, as a rational adult who understands the really very simple restrictions I choose media that fits within these restrictions. If I have items that don't fit then I use an alternative solution.

• Evernote Expert

I easily did it with PDFs, and it would take me several years of maxing out my monthly limits to get my approximately 1TB worth of PDFs (and some other types of files) into Evernote. This does not include movies or sound files.

My work flow does revolve around Video files, and i find it extremely cumbersome to access my video files larger than 100 MB from another system.

I am not sure that an attack on all Evernote Evangelists is appropriate here.

Point taken. I am sorry to have made a general statement, i meant it to be certain specific individuals.

• Level 5

I think you got all the answers you can possibly get here, including the opinions of some very advanced users. It is up to you to heed their recommendations. EN is very flexible but does not live up to the expectations of everybody.

Maybe onother app is better suited for your needs.

• Evernote Expert

I do store video in Evernote, but I understand the restrictions of the system which is currently 100mb for a note and 1gb a month (unless I choose to buy more). So, as a rational adult who understands the really very simple restrictions I choose media that fits within these restrictions. If I have items that don't fit then I use an alternative solution.

The first post clearly mentions this fact. I was looking for a workaround, from other members. The issue is that, because of this, i have to store some videos else where, and i end up wasting a lot of EN bandwidth every month.

• Evernote Expert

I think you got all the answers you can possibly get here, including the opinions of some very advanced users. It is up to you to heed their recommendations. EN is very flexible but does not live up to the expectations of everybody.

Maybe onother app is better suited for your needs.

I don't see anything new other than what was mentioned in my first post. So, there arises no need for me to heed to recommendations made, based on what i already do. :) . The point of discussion was that so much of bandwidth gets wasted due to some restrictions by the system. That is all. It is probably thanks to some persistent poster like me that EN saw the need to increase the note size from 50 to 100 MB, and not someone who said that 50 MB is enough for me, and i will work my way around 50 MB.

• Evernote Expert

Given that this thread has outlived its usefulness, i reply out of mere courtesy. I come to EN because it supports all kinds of media, including text and it works on all platforms. That is why i probably don't use Dropbox or One Note.

• Level 5*

The first post clearly mentions this fact. I was looking for a workaround, from other members. The issue is that, because of this, i have to store some videos else where, and i end up wasting a lot of EN bandwidth every month.

Another way to look at it is that you are running your account more efficiently if you don't use the entire 1GB upload allowance. The 1GB upload allowance is optimized or wasted depending on your point of view. Change your point of view, and the problem is solved :)

Well, not exactly. I think there are going to be some cumbersome aspects of Evernote as it experiences growing pains. It is telling that no one else (as far as I know) offers anything remotely as robust as Evernote. They are pioneering new territory through the wilderness, not paving parking lots in suburbia (to use a poor analogy). The route will not always be smooth, but it is taking us someplace interesting!

I think all of us as users ought to continue offering heaps of criticism and suggestions, but also allow for the fact that a lot of very intelligent and hard-working people are trying their best to improve the product (I am talking about the developers and support staff here, not the Radagast-like Evangelists), so this is a team effort.

• Level 5*

Given that this thread has outlived its usefulness, i reply out of mere courtesy. I come to EN because it supports all kinds of media, including text and it works on all platforms. That is why i probably don't use Dropbox or One Note.

I still don't get it.

None of these things are video management tools. If your workflow is based around video, surely it makes sense to use a video management tool rather than try to fit into something more general?

• Evernote Expert

As much as i could think optimistically like you grumpy, my brain only registers certain mundane facts that 5$ = 1 gb, used only 200Mb this month. 4$ wasted . :(. But i must say that i don't upload for the heck of uploading. Some files i have in Dropbox, which i would have preferred be along with the EN account.

• Evernote Expert

What do you mean by video management, i don't get. If you mean, that video management means editing and manipulating video etc, i never asked for anything like that, and i know well, EN does not support it. The simple issue is that i want to have the video along with the text and various forms of files of relevant nature together in EN, which is already supported, the only issue is that some video files >100 MB, which cannot be stored in EN.

I've been hoping that Evernote would increase the single note size for a while. It's not the monthly limit that's the restriction it's the note size. For instance I've using Evernote for a course I'm on and the course documents are in pdf format with a number of images and these documents are coming in between 100MB - 300mb in size. I could spend the time stripping the documents down into parts but apart from the hassle of this the documents contain links throughout the document which would break if it was split into multiple files.

Ideally the limit would be raised to 500mb over even 1gb which would hopefully help a lot of people.

Please don't see this as just a video problem. Also is 100mb really considered large nowadays?

• Level 5*

I've been hoping that Evernote would increase the single note size for a while. It's not the monthly limit that's the restriction it's the note size. For instance I've using Evernote for a course I'm on and the course documents are in pdf format with a number of images and these documents are coming in between 100MB - 300mb in size. I could spend the time stripping the documents down into parts but apart from the hassle of this the documents contain links throughout the document which would break if it was split into multiple files.

Ideally the limit would be raised to 500mb over even 1gb which would hopefully help a lot of people.

Please don't see this as just a video problem. Also is 100mb really considered large nowadays?

Although I probably wouldn't use it, as I have found that the application currently works best for my use case without any attachments, I have written a lot on these forums about the note limit size being too small. I have hundreds (?) of PDFs over 100MB as well.

• Level 5*

What do you mean by video management, i don't get. If you mean, that video management means editing and manipulating video etc, i never asked for anything like that, and i know well, EN does not support it. The simple issue is that i want to have the video along with the text and various forms of files of relevant nature together in EN, which is already supported, the only issue is that some video files >100 MB, which cannot be stored in EN.

Well it sounds to me like you are really looking for a DAM solution as your workflow 'revolves around video'? Or are you really just talking about downloading one or two videos from youtube?

I know that if I really needed a tool that allowed me to track video files, add data and metadata then I'd be looking for a true DAM solution.

100 mb is not that large. However, people tend to forget that EN works across many platforms & Evernote needs to make sure everything works well across all those platforms, not just the one or two that that particular user is using. More info from the CTO of Evernote:

https://www.evernote...8ed358011a44dd7

100 mb is not that large. However, people tend to forget that EN works across many platforms & Evernote needs to make sure everything works well across all those platforms, not just the one or two that that particular user is using. More info from the CTO of Evernote:

The only platforms that would struggle are the phone apps right? If I could access my 500mb pdf documents from my PC, Mac and the web that would be fine. They could just put a download file size limit on the phone apps. Hopefully that’s not the only reason we’re still limited to the 100mb file limit.

Actually I wonder how the phone apps cope with the current 100mb limitation, I’ve never tried working with files that size on my phone. If my phone already can’t cope with the current limitation then nothing is lost if the file size is increased for the benefit of the other platforms.

• Evernote Expert

Yes, we need more people to post their genuine requirements , so that Evernote may consider implementing them in future releases. For some of the people who think that 100 MB/note is enough for their usage or feel that more comfortable storing larger attachments in other platforms, let them continue to do so.

• Evernote Expert

I don't see how the fact that EN works on all platforms is related to file size. When EN says that it works well across all platforms , it means that EN can logically handle traffic well enough @ the rate of 1gb/premium user/month and 60MB/free user/month, across all platforms. The users here are not demanding to increase their monthly usage quota, but only increase individual note size which they want to use within their monthly quota. How, it will affect performance is beyond me. And even if implementing such a change slows down the system, then it is EN's prerogative to ensure their hardware are improved to meet the demand of its users.

• Level 5*

And to stay within the cost boundaries of what they believe their users will pay for a service.

You can fix any problem by throwing time and money at it, if the resulting solution means a per user cost of $500 or $5k or $50k then it's not a good solution.

You never answered my question as to whether you'd looked at a real video DAM solution?

• Evernote Expert

And to stay within the cost boundaries of what they believe their users will pay for a service.

You can fix any problem by throwing time and money at it, if the resulting solution means a per user cost of $500 or $5k or $50k then it's not a good solution.

If one analyzes rationally, the users are already paying more for EN than other cloud services. Why i think so? Most cloud services charge up only for the data stored in their servers and not the bandwidth exchange. This means that if i edited a file of 10 Mb and now made it 20 MB, out of a budget of 1GB/month, the usage shows on other services only as 20MB/1Gb usage, but EN will show now as 10+20=30Mb/1Gb usage. Not that it will matter much to most of us, though, since we will hardly use up our premium account, given existing restrictions of system slow down and we are forced to shove our heavy attachments in other cloud services, thereby beating the purpose of us paying for a premium account.

We are not asking EN to provide us tickets to the moon at 5$/month, we are only requesting features which other contemporaries provide, some of them, even for free with ad-support. So, providing these services will in all logic not cost 500$/user as you may claim.

And before some guys take the gun and say, if you don't like it the way it is, kindly leave, i clearly want to say that i am happy with the services EN commits to its premium account, but if i can get the best out of the services as promised.

You never answered my question as to whether you'd looked at a real video DAM solution?

I already answered your question in an earlier post. Too bad that you didn't look at it. My issue was simple, i want to have my video documents along with my text and audio files related to a particular topic in the same place, as Evernote advertises. Thats all. But the problem is that some of these videos end up being more than 100 MB, if i break them up, some of them lose their quality defeating their purpose. This is also one of the reasons why i went for a premium account, since most of the text files wont take more than 60 MB/month. It is only the pdf's and video's that consumer more space, and in the current scenario, we cannot make maximum utility of our 1gb space in EN premium account, because of these restrictions.

• Level 5*

I used $50 as an example only. I'm not sure that I can think of any competitor that supports fairly sophisticated native clients for the variety of platforms that Evernote does, so I don't think your comparison works at all.

Your earlier response and the most recent still doesn't makes sense to me, but I'm guessing that a real DAM solution would be too sophisticated for your needs.

• Level 5*

OK, seems clear that all the information that's needed for this topic has been iterated several times. It's safe to say that:

1 - Evernote is aware of the request, and I'm sure that they understand the implications.

2 - Evernote has chosen a limit for now. It is what it is, right now. If it doesn't suit your needs, there's not much you can do about it, except to advocate that it be raised (see #1) which likely won't change things any, but may make you feel better.

3 - Evernote has raised the limit in the past, and is likely to raise it again, Moore's Law being what it is. They're probably not going to tell us when that might be. But for now, see #2.

• Evernote Expert

If one analyzes rationally, the users are already paying more for EN than other cloud services. Why i think so? Most cloud services charge up only for the data stored in their servers and not the bandwidth exchange. This means that if i edited a file of 10 Mb and now made it 20 MB, out of a budget of 1GB/month, the usage shows on other services only as 20MB/1Gb usage, but EN will show now as 10+20=30Mb/1Gb usage. Not that it will matter much to most of us, though, since we will hardly use up our premium account, given existing restrictions of system slow down and we are forced to shove our heavy attachments in other cloud services, thereby beating the purpose of us paying for a premium account.

We are not asking EN to provide us tickets to the moon at 5$/month, we are only requesting features which other contemporaries provide, some of them, even for free with ad-support. So, providing these services will in all logic not cost 500$/user as you may claim.

And before some guys take the gun and say, if you don't like it the way it is, kindly leave, i clearly want to say that i am happy with the services EN commits to its premium account, but if i can get the best out of the services as promised.

I already answered your question in an earlier post. Too bad that you didn't look at it. My issue was simple, i want to have my video documents along with my text and audio files related to a particular topic in the same place, as Evernote advertises. Thats all. But the problem is that some of these videos end up being more than 100 MB, if i break them up, some of them lose their quality defeating their purpose. This is also one of the reasons why i went for a premium account, since most of the text files wont take more than 60 MB/month. It is only the pdf's and video's that consumer more space, and in the current scenario, we cannot make maximum utility of our 1gb space in EN premium account, because of these restrictions.

If something as simple as this cannot explain to you, i really don't know what will. I just want all data ( pdfs, video, text, audio) to be within my EN framework in their original forms, without looking for other cloud services. Period.

If something as simple as this cannot explain to you, i really don't know what will. I just want all data ( pdfs, video, text, audio) to be within my EN framework in their original forms, without looking for other cloud services. Period.

@Panzerkampfwagen,

This is does not address the issue you raised directly but I noticed that you mentioned wanting to store video and that of course is going to be the biggest size offender. Have you tried compressing your videos using the free XVid codec?:

http://www.xvid.org/

I used it to compress videos from a telepresence robot direct to Evernote (via the Public API). I managed to get good quality 320 x 240 videos that led to a size ratio of approximately 1 MB per minute of video . It was vastly more effective than the other codecs I tried.

-- roschler

• Evernote Expert

@Panzerkampfwagen,

This is does not address the issue you raised directly but I noticed that you mentioned wanting to store video and that of course is going to be the biggest size offender. Have you tried compressing your videos using the free XVid codec?:

http://www.xvid.org/

I used it to compress videos from a telepresence robot direct to Evernote (via the Public API). I managed to get good quality 320 x 240 videos that led to a size ratio of approximately 1 MB per minute of video . It was vastly more effective than the other codecs I tried.

-- roschler

Good quality@1MB/minute is an entirely subjective matter and is based on the nature of the information present in the video. A simple video with recurring information ( like a man simply talking against a fixed wall, might be able to fit in with the quality that you talk, but a dynamic video still wouldn't.) A video having substantial information will look pathetic if it was the size ( function of bitrate) that you mention. Reducing the size at a fixed resolution is pretty simple - just reduce the encoding bitrate. But sadly, it in most cases will not work. Why?

Take this example. The technical documents for the H265 standard and web links are present in my EN account, but the video explaining it isn't.

See the video. The 240 p version takes 140MB. i.e roughly 3MB+/ minute. Any further tweaking of the quality to reduce size badly reduces the quality and distorts the minute technical stuff ( important stuff in the background). So, because of this, i have to put this video in My Dropbox account and link it from my EN account. I hope this explains my problem. Since EN advertises itself as encouraging research and so on, stuff like this seriously matters.

• Level 5*

Any discussion about suitable video formats is besides the point. Evernote doesn't support notes larger than 100MB at this time, as is now well known. Large videos, as well as any large content, are not valid use cases for Evernote, because they don't fit a basic limitation. Evernote may or may not encourage research, but there are some research areas where it is just plain not a good option, like this one, like particle physics, like weather prediction.

Video might not be a valid use case but i'd say pdf documents are. Evernote needs to move with the times and 100mb is not considered big any more.

If increasng the note size is down to cost i'd rather have a larger note size and a slighlty reduced monthly upload limit. After all if I run out of upload space I can wait till the following month and carry on. If I want to upload a 101mb files i'm stuffed.

• 7 months later...

Archived