Using Evernote to open text documents with different extension example .m files

Hello,

I am new to Evernote and was trying to add a text document to a new note. When I did this the text document was interpreted as an attachment. The file type is .m however it opens just fine in notepad and is only that format for use with MATLAB. Is there any way to adjust Evernote's settings so that it interprets .m files as text files and opens them in the window within the program for search purposes. Ideally I would like to retain the documents current file extension.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Best,

AJ

• Level 5*

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

I apologize if I am getting this wrong, but it sounds like you want to use Everntoe to open a file. Actually, it is best to think about Evernote as a place to put your data. If you want to put it into Evernote, but not as an attachment, then you will have to do something to it during the process. You could, of course, copy/paste into Evernote. If it is one file, then this is the way to go. If it is more than one file, then you may just want to batch convert them to .txt. Make sure the encoding is UTF-8. The converted files could be put into a temporary folder and then deleted when you are done. This would leave you with the original .m files on your hard drive, and the content of the files in Evernote (Evernote uses a forked version of XHTML, so they would be in a format kind of like an editable webpage). What this means is that it may be difficult to go back and forth between .m and Evernote. Evernote isn't set up to do anything like that.

How were you wanting to make use of Evernote?

• Level 5*

If this is Windows, then the .m is probably recognized by default as a MATLAB file because Windows recognizes it as a MATLAB file. Generally, though, you can right-click on the attachment (rather than double-clicking on it) and use "Open With..." to select the program that you want to edit with.

Thanks for the advice,

In response to grumpy monkey. I wish to use evernote as a notebook to record my research data. Some of that data is procedural, some graphical, some websites, some pdfs, some microsoft office docs and some codes. I am content with excel files and the like being viewed as attachments in evernote, however, I would like evernote to both store my .m files the way they are (in the appdata folder) so that when myself or others redownload them they do not have to convert them back to .m files. However, I would like the text to show up as it does in the note and pdf cases, that is, in searchable format in the evernote program.

In response to jefito, the open with menu has already designated .m files so that they are being treated by windows as text documents.

Best,

AJ

• Level 5*
In response to jefito, the open with menu has already designated .m files so that they are being treated by windows as text documents.

Are you saying that if you find a .m file in Windows Explorer, and double-click on it, it opens in a text editor, rather than MATLAB? The double-click activates the default handler for files of that type; e.g., if I do that with a .cpp file (C++ source file), it opens up in Visual Studio. But if I right-click on it, and use "Open With...", I can select a different application to open it with, and/or select a new default program. It's supposed to work the same in Evernote.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*

Yes, in windows this is not so much an issue. However, often I access Evernote from a device that is not a computer; for example, a tablet. Here, there seems to be no way to access the file.

Any thoughts?

This is a Windows-tagged topic. If you want advice on how to handle things on a different OS, then it's probably better to make a new, appropriately tagged, topic for that. The answer for other OS's will be different, but similar; Evernote will try to load up an attachment in a program that's know to handle that attachment type.

Yes, in windows this is not so much an issue. However, often I access Evernote from a device that is not a computer; for example, a tablet. Here, there seems to be no way to access the file.

Any thoughts?

I asked the same question and the moderator (quite rightly) moved it to an IOS topic. I'm renaming text files to have a .txt suffix so they will open on my iPad. Probably best continued here: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/50887-how-to-open-text-files-in-quickoffice-on-ios/

Archived