(Archived) Skitch Output File Type Selectability.....is PNG all there is?

casam268

Firslty, I apologise if this is a simple thing for some, but I don't seem to be able to find a way to save my Skitch images as other than PNG files. In the older version of Skitch 1.0.12 I had a myriad of output file choices, but I have been unable to find a way to change the default. It doesn't appear under Preferences, and the tab on the bottom middle of the Skitch window no longer is there on the newer version. The drag function of the image out of the Skitch window and onto an e-mail or the Mail icon is clunky and often doesn't work first time either, which is just another bug bear I have. To drag and drop requires multiple attempts and then it seems to "stick" in the e-mail.

The main reason I want to be able to control the output of Skitch is so that both I and others have a file format that is flexible for me/them, to use. If I attach a great Skitch to an e-mail but my recipient doesn't know the workaround to open the attachment in Preview and then resave it as a JPEG, which is such a pain, then it is quite a limitation.

If there already is a thread regarding this I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction. The difference between the functionality of 1.0.12 and the new version is like chalk and cheese, and I haven't experienced such reverse functionality before.

but I have been unable to find a way to change the default. It doesn't appear under Preferences, and the tab on the bottom middle of the Skitch window no longer is there on the newer version.

@cassam268 - You find alternative file formats from the drop down at the bottom of the screen (as seen below).

13%208:45%20AM.jpg

You can also select File->Export and then chose from a variety of output methods as well.

The drag function of the image out of the Skitch window and onto an e-mail or the Mail icon is clunky and often doesn't work first time either,

What versions of Skitch and OS X are you using? I'm using 10.8.2 and Skitch 2.0.3 and Drag and Drop to the Mail icon works without any issues. You can also select Email under the Share menu header, or the Icon, and then start a new email that way with the Skitch snap already included.

my recipient doesn't know the workaround to open the attachment in Preview and then resave it as a JPEG

What exactly is the workaround and why do you need one? PNG format is supported natively by Mail and Preview and works without any issues in 10.8.x.

Archived