(Archived) Mac OS X (Mountain Lion) Evernote version 5.0.4 document folder location

Steve_S

Idea

Where is the Mac OS X (Mountain Lion) Evernote version 5.0.4 document folder located?

I recently purchased a new 27" iMac after having previously used an iMac with Mac OS X (Snow Leopard).

The location of the Evernote document folder on my previous iMac was located at:

User\Library\Application Support\Evernote

In advance, thank you for your response(s) to my question.

21 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I did as you said and I came up with 0 results.

And, yes, I waited ten minutes before doing the search after I created the new random digits note in Evernote.

And, yes, I copied and pasted so there were no errors and/or omissions from the note to the search box.

Huh. Well, it looks like Spotlight hasn't indexed your system, then. First of all (I know this sounds stupid, but I have to ask), are you sure you have downloaded Evernote and you are not using it on the Internet (sorry, but people sometimes are not familiar with how to use Macs).

Assuming you have installed it, then you could just search for "evernote" and find the folder that way. It has to be there somewhere! And, at some point you will probably want to re-index your hard drive, but we can save that for another day if you are wondering about it.

• Level 5*

After conferring with an Evernote Second Level Support Technician, the following information can now be revealed:

The location of the Evernote folder on my 27" iMac (with Mac OS X 10.8.2 - Mountain Lion) is: /Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/account/<your username>/

Thanks. That is weird. First of all, as we discussed earlier, it was located after all in the Containers folder (). Could it be that your screenshot was from (what appears to be) your second Library folder?

The com.evernote.Evernote thing is new to me. Wow. I wouldn't have even guessed this would be a possibility. Hopefully, this will help other users who have your problem. Thanks!

After conferring with an Evernote Second Level Support Technician, the following information can now be revealed:

The location of the Evernote folder on my 27" iMac (with Mac OS X 10.8.2 - Mountain Lion) is: /Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/account/<your username>/

• Level 5*

If you want to get your notes out of Evernote, then the best method is to export as html. It would actually be fairly difficult to make sense of the Evernote data in the folder, as it isn't labeled in a human friendly way, The export is quite fast and effective.

Exporting, though, will not clear out your account. You'll need to delete all notes, empty the trash, and sync. Personally, I consider this to be counter-productive. If Evernote is your external brain, then this is akin to a Flowers for Algernon scenario, and you'll go into 2013 brainless :)

But, it's your choice. The good news is that the location of the Evernote folder is inconsequential for your purposes. Still, if you find out where it is on your drive (did you file a support ticket?), please let us know!

Thanks again for your response.

Yes, I want to save a copy of the entire contents of the Evernote folder (which, at present, I still have not located) so that I can save all of my 2012 notes separately.

How would I do that?

I would like to be able to access my 2012 notes / folder later on to reference certain items when necessary.

I want to begin the new year with an empty / clean evernote folder.

• Level 5*

I will contact live chat support tomorrow to attempt to resolve this issue.

I really need to find that Evernote folder so that I can save an entire year's worth of notes (somer 2,000 notes) from 2012 and start a new year of notes.

Thank you for your assistance with this issue. Very much appreciated.

I am glad I could help. I am not sure, though, how finding the folder will help you. Do you mean that you want to backup the folder? If so, you can start your 2013 notes without waiting for that :)

In addition, you can always export your notes as an .enex or .html files in order to back them up. Perhaps if you told us what you plan to do in more detail, even though we do not know where the folder is yet, we could suggest some solutions you could do right now.

I will contact live chat support tomorrow to attempt to resolve this issue.

I really need to find that Evernote folder so that I can save an entire year's worth of notes (somer 2,000 notes) from 2012 and start a new year of notes.

Thank you for your assistance with this issue. Very much appreciated.

• Level 5*

This is my first Fusion drive so I cannot rule out that that could be a factor.

I looked into the hidden files option but couldn't find a specific box to check/uncheck if this option exists on my system.

The Fusion drive thing sounds suspicious to me... I wonder if someone with the drive, or better yet, an Evernote expert could weigh in on this. You might also want to contact Customer Support (see my signature).

This is my first Fusion drive so I cannot rule out that that could be a factor.

I looked into the hidden files option but couldn't find a specific box to check/uncheck if this option exists on my system.

• Level 5*

I installed the application on my iMac hard drive.

This iMac is less than a week old.

The only remnant of Evernote that spotlight finds is the Evernote app file that launches the application.

I know what to look for because I had the Evernote application installed on my previous iMac hard drive for 6 years.

I guess that exhausts my abilities. Hidden folders? I forget if Mac does that, too. Could there be a Fusion drive issue?

I installed the application on my iMac hard drive.

This iMac is less than a week old.

The only remnant of Evernote that spotlight finds is the Evernote app file that launches the application.

I know what to look for because I had the Evernote application installed on my previous iMac hard drive for 6 years.

I did as you said and I came up with 0 results.

And, yes, I waited ten minutes before doing the search after I created the new random digits note in Evernote.

And, yes, I copied and pasted so there were no errors and/or omissions from the note to the search box.

• Level 5*

Thanks, I'll try that, but I really need to find someone here who is using Evernote 4.0.5 on the Mac OS X Mountain Lion operating system.

There is obviously a difference between that operating system and Snow Leopard regarding the location of the Evernote folder.

I have no idea why the location of the Evernote folder would be different but that's what's happened in my case.

Evernote 5.0.4 on Mountain Lion? Yes. That is me. And, the instructions I linked to "should" have found the folder, regardless of the version you downloaded. So, if you do the Spotlight thing (it would take less time than it took me to write this post), then we can find out where your folder actually is, and that will give us a way forward.

Thanks, I'll try that, but I really need to find someone here who is using Evernote 4.0.5 on the Mac OS X Mountain Lion operating system.

There is obviously a difference between that operating system and Snow Leopard regarding the location of the Evernote folder.

I have no idea why the location of the Evernote folder would be different but that's what's happened in my case.

• Level 5*

Well, that is just weird, isn't it!

I guess the next step is to search for Evernote in Spotlight (http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-spotlight-search.html). Or, better yet, put a string of random digits / letters in a note, sync it, wait a few minutes, and then search for that in Spotlight. Spotlight should be indexing Evernote, it will pull up that note, you can open it in Finder, and then see the folder within which it resides. Please do report back to us and tell us where you end up finding it!

• Level 5*

Yes, I did check the other location that was suggested.

Just to confirm, I do not even have a folder labeled 'Container' on my system.

I guess this is beyond me, then, because you ought to have "Containers" whether you are using the appstore version or not. Could you post a screenshot of your Library and Application Support views?

• Level 5*

Thank you for your response.

I have the version downloaded directly from Evernote but unfortunately the file is not located at: UserID\Library\Application Support\Evernote .

That's the first place that I checked and it is simply not there.

Would you have any other suggestions on where it could possibly be located?

I'm stumped.

Have you checked the other location I mentioned? You may think you have the direct download, but please note that pressing the button on Evernote's regular site actually gets you the appstore version. Only by using the link I posted (it isn't actually the same page, even though it looks like it) can you get the direct download version. I know, this is confusing, and I don't know why things are this way.

Thank you for your response.

I have the version downloaded directly from Evernote but unfortunately the file is not located at: UserID\Library\Application Support\Evernote .

That's the first place that I checked and it is simply not there.

Would you have any other suggestions on where it could possibly be located?

I'm stumped.

• Level 5*

Hi. It depends on which version of the app you are using. I suspect you are using the appstore version. I recommend you use the version available direct from Evernote. There are instructions here for doing that, as well as directions for finding the folders in both versions.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/16062-uninstalling-everrnote-for-mac-os-x/#entry173494

Archived