(Archived) Searching images within a web page?

Tedology

Hello all and happy new year! :)

I'm fairly new to Evernote (or, I should say...returning to it. :) ) and I have a question about the search feature:

I make handmade cards and as such, I'd like to create an organizational system where I can search for "birthday", for example, and all stamp sets that I own that have to do with "birthday" would come up. Now, I'm creating tags (so I get that) and I also am using the web clipper to just clip the website that has the particular stamp set. So no problems there.

However, I was wondering if there's a way to search for words WITHIN the image on a particular website.

For example, on this site:

https://www.papertreyink.com/stamps/2012-birthday-tags-stamp-set/

There's a picture of the stamp set and one of the stamps says "Celebrate Today". However, when I go to search for "Celebrate" this note does not come up.

Is there a way that I could have it come up? Or since I'm a free user, it takes time to search the images? Or do I just have to create a tag for every word on every stamp set (I'm hoping not! :) )

Any help on understanding how the search feature works with embedded images would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much and may your 2013 be a great one!

• Level 5*

If you add an images to a note, the note must be sync'ed to the Evernote servers, where the OCR is done, and the note is sync'ed back. Premium users get priority over free users with respect to OCR, but I don't think that the wait is typically that long. On the order of hours, I think. Also, note that OCR is not foolproof, though it's pretty good. I'll clip the image and see what pops up.

• Level 5

However, I was wondering if there's a way to search for words WITHIN the image on a particular website.

https://www.papertre...tags-stamp-set/

There's a picture of the stamp set and one of the stamps says "Celebrate Today". However, when I go to search for "Celebrate" this note does not come up.

I'm a Premium user

I'd say you are pushing the envelope too far if you expect Evernote to OCR the website. Even human eyes can't pickup the details.

http://www.evernote....7c50cc00a0abb8d

But the actual image is another matter. The OCR did a fine job on

http://www.evernote....5cbd1e3174b63f1

Searched and found

3 - celebrate

3 - birthday

5 - wish

1 - best

I was surprised that it even found

1 - from

Jeff, Mike, and jbenson -

Thank you all very much for taking the time to help me better understand this. :)

So perhaps what I should consider doing is, as Mike suggested, use the zoomed version and perhaps merge the note with the full page note. Would that be something that could possibly work?

Again, I appreciate your experienced inputs. :)

Ted

Hello all and happy new year! :)

I'm fairly new to Evernote (or, I should say...returning to it. :) ) and I have a question about the search feature:

I make handmade cards and as such, I'd like to create an organizational system where I can search for "birthday", for example, and all stamp sets that I own that have to do with "birthday" would come up. Now, I'm creating tags (so I get that) and I also am using the web clipper to just clip the website that has the particular stamp set. So no problems there.

https://www.papertre...tags-stamp-set/

Is there a way that I could have it come up? Or since I'm a free user, it takes time to search the images? Or do I just have to create a tag for every word on every stamp set (I'm hoping not! :) )

Any help on understanding how the search feature works with embedded images would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much and may your 2013 be a great one!

Although I'm not much of a stamper, I also make handmade cards & do some papercraftng. I do more with embossing folders & die cutters (regular & electronic.) As a result, I tend to have less phrases & simply more images/patterns/etc & generate phrases with the Silhouette's print & cut feature. However, what I would do in the example you provided, is type into the note the phrase "Celebrate today" and tag it with "birthday" as well as other occasions it may be suitable for like "retirement", "congratulations", "baby", etc. I would also tag it "phrase". This way, if I were looking for a phrase for a retirement card, I would filter on "phrase", "retirement". I would not necessarily type in all the phrases of all the stamps I owned simply because I probably won't remember them & would rely upon this filtering system. (Which is why the tagging system is so good.) But if, for some reason, I loved the phrase "Celebrate today" & was pretty sure I'd remember it, I'd add the phrase in my note with the photo of the stamp set. OTOH, if I loved one or more of the other stamps & that's why I bought this set, the chances of me remembering I have a stamp that says "celebrate today" are not that good & I would rely upon the filtered search.

PS - I'm very big into flowers & butterflies. So I also use those as tags for the dies/cuts that I own, so I can quickly view all the butterfly dies I have.

I also use a tag "Got it!" to differentiate between the ones I actually own vs the ones I'd like to get.

BurgersNFries, thanks so much for that excellent suggestion! :)

Not to go TOO off-topic, but I also love the Silhouette's Print & Cut feature. :) Sadly, I just had to ship my Cameo back to Silhouette for a new replacement...as it was having trouble cutting vinyl. :( I'm already going through withdrawals LOL)

Do you happen to have a blog or gallery of your creations? I'm always up for inspiration. :)

And again... much appreciation for your idea of just typing in phrases rather than importing the image. So much to learn...so little time! :)

PS - I'm very big into flowers & butterflies. So I also use those as tags for the dies/cuts that I own, so I can quickly view all the butterfly dies I have.

I also use a tag "Got it!" to differentiate between the ones I actually own vs the ones I'd like to get.

I'm curious... when you create a note for your die-cuts, embossing folders, etc... do you also include an IMAGE of the die cut? Or just a text/list format?

BurgersNFries, thanks so much for that excellent suggestion! :)

Not to go TOO off-topic, but I also love the Silhouette's Print & Cut feature. :) Sadly, I just had to ship my Cameo back to Silhouette for a new replacement...as it was having trouble cutting vinyl. :( I'm already going through withdrawals LOL)

Do you happen to have a blog or gallery of your creations? I'm always up for inspiration. :)

And again... much appreciation for your idea of just typing in phrases rather than importing the image. So much to learn...so little time! :)

I can imagine how awful it is to be without the Cameo! I'm busy using mine today to make some mini-albums for three people who have recently retired.

I don't have a public gallery, but I keep thinking I may do one. I only do this for my personal use - I don't sell them on Etsy. But I do follow a lot of the blogs & people on Pinterest, too.

I'm curious... when you create a note for your die-cuts, embossing folders, etc... do you also include an IMAGE of the die cut? Or just a text/list format?

Yes, as well as the name. I usually either scan the card that they come on (IE Cuttlebug embossing folders) or take a picture on my phone of the package, which includes the images. I add the name of the set, too, so I can be sure to look it up when I either find inspiration from someone else's creation & forget if I have that set or not. I don't want to rely upon Evernote correctly OCR'ing the name of the set from the photo.

Also...I keep my computer font files in Evernote (as well as on my hard drive.) When I'm making a card/album/whatever, I will make a note of the font I'm using. Over the years, as I've moved from one computer to another, I got tired of opening up an old creation & the font was defaulted to something else b/c I didn't have that font installed on the new computer. I can now refer to the Evernote about the card to find the font I'd used (or if my card software tells me it can't find ___ font) & I can re-install it directly from my hard drive. (I put the font file in Evernote just as another form of backup.) This way, I don't have to go looking on the internet for that same font on a free site & re-download it & all that stuff. Plus, as you're probably aware, there are some fonts with the same name but that are totally different. This insures I can recreate the card with exactly the same font.

I also try to make detailed notes when creating some cards. (I don't always have the time to do it, but I try, especially if I'm using a lot of tools to make the card.) That way, I can refer to them, should I want to do something later on & forgot how I did it on a previous card. This is really helpful when you're using a lot of tools to assemble a single card. I may use Publisher or Create-A-Card or Print Shop for some parts of the cards and/or envelopes. IE, for this year's Christmas card, I made a note about the paper & envelopes - where I bought them, the manufacturer & the color. I made a note about the Cricut cuts I made for the front (love my Cricut but love the Cameo more!), the ink I used on the edges & that I sprayed it with Perfect Pearls - pearl color. Also made a note about how I imported a photo to Silhouette Studio & outlined it, so I could do a print & cut that was also added to the front of the card. I make the titles of these notes "The making of ___", so I can do an Evernote search:

intitle:making card

& that will bring up all my notes I made when making various cards.

Oh, and one thing I've made several of is tissue box covers. That one entails cutting the top piece with my Cricut and using a guillotine cutter to cut 12 x 12 inch cardstock paper to the correct size for the sides of the box. I have a note where I keep the sizes I need to cut with the guillotine & where to score the lid.

@BNF I had you down as a tattoo artist or similar? :) (how wrong could I be)

Dude! :P I do have multiple piercings...but no tats!!!

Archived