(Archived) Cannot view Notebooks on IOS

pamelc88

I am having difficulty with the install of evernote on my ipad. I cannot figure out how to work with notebooks. When I look at the tabs I see options for "all notes, trash, tags, places, premium". I do not have a notebook tab. When I log on to the PC version I clearly see the notebooks and can work with them. I have spent hours trying to find out why I cannot work with the noteboos on the web and while I see many references to changes on the ipad version, I just do not see what the forums refer to or what the screen shots indicate when I view my install. I checked with the App store and it lists my apps as up to date.

• Level 5*

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

This sounds impossible. Everyone has at least one notebook. The green tabs from front to back should read Personal Notes, Business Notes (if you have a business account), Notebooks, Tags, and Places. Open up the Notebooks tab to work with notebooks. See this site for some screenshots and information.

http://evernote.com/evernote/guide/ios/

I looked at the link you had sent and where the screenshot has a tab for Notebooks I had a tab named Trash. I went in to the Trash Tab and opened it (which I had not done in all of my other searching). On clicking the label on the trash tab, it changed to a label of Notebooks and the problem was solved. I wonder if the notebooks were always in the trash and I just couldn't see them? I am so glad my son saw it happen or I would think I imagined it! This problem has been bugging my son and I for days, we had closed and restarted the App, Re-synched, did a complete restart of the iPad and had no luck. Any idea of where the trash tab would have come from, it is gone now.

thanks for your response, Although we had been to that link in our trying to figure out the problem, going back caused so much frustration that we just started opening all the tabs up! Any way I can take a screenshot if it happens again?

• Level 5*

I looked at the link you had sent and where the screenshot has a tab for Notebooks I had a tab named Trash. I went in to the Trash Tab and opened it (which I had not done in all of my other searching). On clicking the label on the trash tab, it changed to a label of Notebooks and the problem was solved. I wonder if the notebooks were always in the trash and I just couldn't see them? I am so glad my son saw it happen or I would think I imagined it! This problem has been bugging my son and I for days, we had closed and restarted the App, Re-synched, did a complete restart of the iPad and had no luck. Any idea of where the trash tab would have come from, it is gone now.

thanks for your response, Although we had been to that link in our trying to figure out the problem, going back caused so much frustration that we just started opening all the tabs up! Any way I can take a screenshot if it happens again?

Wow. The developers need to hear about this! Screenshots on the iPad work by pressing the power button and home button simultaneously. If you have time, I recommend submitting a bug report to customer service (see the link in my signature), because I think this might be pretty rare.

Thanks for all your help. We will play with it and see if we can re-create the view of the Tabs so that we can send it along with the Bug report. I appreciate your efforts, this was a major topic of conversation with my IOS app developer brother over Christmas. He couldn't find any screen shots representing what we were seeing either and it made for some interesting conversation about the differences in mobile device apps vs desktop versions! I will definately submit a report. Thanks again.

Wow. The developers need to hear about this! Screenshots on the iPad work by pressing the power button and home button simultaneously. If you have time, I recommend submitting a bug report to customer service (see the link in my signature), because I think this might be pretty rare.

Hi Grumpy,

So having got the screen shot - always wondered how to do that on the iPad - where does it end up?

Tried pasting in a new note but that didn't work.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Hi Grumpy,

So having got the screen shot - always wondered how to do that on the iPad - where does it end up?

Tried pasting in a new note but that didn't work.

Best regards

Chris

Hi. You should be able to open it in a note from the camera roll using the icon that looks like a couple of photos on top of one another.

As for the screenshot ability, I'll resist the urge to rant about wonderully designed products these days that pretend to be so intuitive they don't need manuals. What a bunch of... well, you know. Apple is the most profligate of the manual-less. Evernote recently has done a great job of recognizing the lack of documentation and addressing the problem by creating great online manuals. Why they would make them almost impossible to discover on their website is beyond me, though!

LOL this is by design and easily recreated!

Go into notebooks and select any notebook or the trash, the title then changes. Now drag the green tab down the screen to reveal the other tabs... The title remains so Notebooks becomes Trash!

• 7 months later...

I "lost" my Notebook tab as well. After reading your posts, I played around a bit. Finally discovered that if I opened a Notebook and then dragged down the tabs, that Notebook replaced my Notebooks tab in the pull down.

If I then opened that folder from the pull down, I had a a link back to my Notebooks in the top left corner of the screen. Clicking on this and pulling down the tab menu put the Notebooks tab back.

Archived