(Archived) Feature Request - Viewing Notes

Todd R.

I am using Evernote for organizing lots of different content. In doing so, I have notebooks with sub-notebooks, etc. When I click on a "parent" notebook, I don't like seeing every note, regardless of where it's filed. In my opinion, clicking on a notebook should only show you those notes that are within. Hope that makes sense!

If there is an option to change this, please let me know.

Todd

• Level 5*

No, sorry, you don't have sub-notebooks. There are no sub-notebooks in Evernote. There are Notebooks, which are collections of notes. There are stacks, which are collections of notebooks. And there are tags, which are labels that you can apply to notes. Are you talking about clicking on tags, perchance?

• Level 5*

Rather than a tag, probably a stack - these do show all the notes in the notebooks contained within the stack. Todd, the stack itself does not contain any notes. Check this by removing all of the notes from one of the notebooks, and you will see them disappear from the stack as well - or you can just move the notebook out of the stack. If you delete the notes to test this, make sure you undelete them before you empty the trash!

Sorry - Yes, I meant the stacks of notebooks. I don't like that clicking on a stack shows you all notes from every included notebook within that stack. It would be nice to have this as an option but I don't see why it's necessary.

Thanks for clarifying!

@Todd R.

What would you like to see when you click on a Notebok Stack? As FactMan said It doesn't have any notes itself so the only other option to showing you the notes belonging to all the Notebooks that belong to the stack, is to show you nothing at all. A stack is like a membership badge Notebooks wear. It groups them, but it can't hold anything itself.

-- roschler

Yes, I would rather it showed me nothing than every single note from every notebook. Or an "advanced" search screen. Or the tags that pertain to that stack. Or the notebooks that were in that stack (redundant, I know). My computer doesn't show me every file that is in a folder unless I go into the subfolder. I realize it's a little different, but the idea is the same.

So this might help shed a little light on things. I'm an amatuer photographer and do everything from nature to "artistic". I use Evernote for many purposes, and I have a stack for my PHOTOGRAPY. Under that, I have Clients, Tips/Tricks, Ideas/Samples. When I click on my PHOTOGRAPHY stack, any of my notes with images (which are most of them) show a thumbnail. These are not always something that you would want to show everyone. I went to pull up some ideas for a client the other day, and when trying to get to their notebook, I first came across a notebook that wasn't quite their style. Again, if I'm browing files on my computer and I don't want to them to see a the content in a client's folder, then I don't take them there. Here, I don't have a choice.

I hope that helps...

@Todd R.

Yes it does and I think now you can see why we were confused. That's a very reasonable idea but highly context dependent. Now that I see the context, that of selective display of image thumbnails, I understand. Perhaps the Evernote dev staff will see it your way too.

In the meantime, the only thing I can suggest is that before you navigate the Notebooks in front of a potential client, press Ctrl-F11 then Ctrl-F5 to hide the Note panel and switch to list view. That will hide any images temporarily. Then when you get to the desired Notebook, press Ctrl-F11 then Ctrl-F7 to restore the note panel and switch to thumbnail view. You can also do this via mouse clicks and the menus but that seems a bit tedious to me.

-- roschler

• Level 5*

If you don't want to show the notes from the stack's notebooks, don't click on the stack name; instead, you should click on the arrow to the left of the stack name. That will open/close the list of the stack's notebooks without affecting the filtering on the note list.

Archived