(Archived) Scansnap help & questions

gmtom1

Just got a scansnap S1100 for christmas and I've got it setup ok with evernote. Loving it, but I have a few questions regarding integration with evernote that I'm hoping others out there can help with. I tried checking the scansnap community site, but couldn't find the answers to my questions:

1. Even though I select "Scan to Evernote" in the scansnap manager, scan button settings, it still saves a pdf copy of the scanned material in a default folder on my laptop. The document scans and automatically inserts in Evernote just fine, but I would like to have it JUST scan to evernote, and don't save any pdfs in a folder. I looked in the settings under save, but there's no place that I can find that allows me to disable the scan to folder.

2. Instead of using "Scan to Evernote", I then tried the "Scan to Folder" option and pointed it at my "add to evernote" folder, thinking that might work, but it takes longer because a window pops up after the scan is done.

3. Is there a way to have a default tag applied to everything I scan in?

Thanks & hope someone out there can help!

• Level 5*

ScanSnap S1500 user here, so I'm not sure how far this comment applies - but that never stopped me before ;) so:

Have a look for ScanSnap Manager on your desktop - should have come bundled with your scanner, and that's what runs the 'to Evernote vs to Folder' business. Try both right-clicking and left-clicking the tray icon (in Windows) for various options.

You should be able to specify the default folder option and/or switch off the 'save a copy' function if you wish.

You should also be able to tweak the 'to Folder' option not to prompt you for a filename if you wish - but you may want to add as detailed a description as you can because this aids searching for one file in a list. There are various conventions - my standard is currently <scan date (automatic)><document type (ie 'delivery note')><source (ie 'Amazon')><subject (ie 'sweater purchase)><actual date (yyyymmdd - if I got lazy and it's different from scan date)>.PDF

You can (kind of) apply a 'default tag' by scanning to folder, then moving the content of that folder to an Import Folder which will suck the files into Evernote. You can specify Import Folders (see the ~Tools menu) and the notebooks they import to - so if you set up a couple of different import folders you can move files to one or another notebook. Once in Evernote you could either just leave them in the appropriate notebook, or batch tag them with something and move them to another.

Hope that helps.

ScanSnap S1500 user here, so I'm not sure how far this comment applies - but that never stopped me before ;) so:

Have a look for ScanSnap Manager on your desktop - should have come bundled with your scanner, and that's what runs the 'to Evernote vs to Folder' business. Try both right-clicking and left-clicking the tray icon (in Windows) for various options.

You should be able to specify the default folder option and/or switch off the 'save a copy' function if you wish.

You should also be able to tweak the 'to Folder' option not to prompt you for a filename if you wish - but you may want to add as detailed a description as you can because this aids searching for one file in a list. There are various conventions - my standard is currently <scan date (automatic)><document type (ie 'delivery note')><source (ie 'Amazon')><subject (ie 'sweater purchase)><actual date (yyyymmdd - if I got lazy and it's different from scan date)>.PDF

You can (kind of) apply a 'default tag' by scanning to folder, then moving the content of that folder to an Import Folder which will suck the files into Evernote. You can specify Import Folders (see the ~Tools menu) and the notebooks they import to - so if you set up a couple of different import folders you can move files to one or another notebook. Once in Evernote you could either just leave them in the appropriate notebook, or batch tag them with something and move them to another.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the suggestion on setting up multiple import folders in evernote - hadn't thought about doing it that way. Regarding turning off "save a copy" you mention above, I still do not see anywhere in the "Scan button settings" or anyplace else in the program where I can disable this. I did find a setting under the "ScanSnap Folder" feature that seems to allow auto-cleanup of items every X number of days, so I'm going to try that for now.

• Level 5*
Regarding turning off "save a copy" you mention above, I still do not see anywhere in the "Scan button settings" or anyplace else in the program where I can disable this.

-Hmmn. I seem to remember suffering from this and trying different options, then curing it; but I'm not sure how! In SSManager my 'Scan to Evernote' option has a 'save' tab that I set to my Import Folder - which will either solve the issue, or give you two copies of each scanned note.. no guarantees either way. If you found a process that you can live with, I'd leave it at that!

Good luck.

Archived