(Archived) Mac 5 saved search: very frustrated - how to manage saved searches

sloganvi

Idea

Greetings,

I created a search by adding two tags. There is only one note with the two tags in the database. I dragged the note to the sidebar. I clicked to all notes, then clicked on my shortcut. The shortcut displays any notes with either of the two tags. How to I edit the saved search to only how the note with the original search parameters?

How do I manage all of my saved searches created prior to version 5?

This used to be so easy in version 4. Any help appreciated,

Stuart

14 replies to this idea

Add tags to search box via the add search option dialogOnce the query is displaying correctly

Go to Edit > Find > Save Search

Give the saved search a name

Click on the search notes field. In the drop-down, grab the new saved search and drag it to the Shortcuts sidebar (optional)

Strikes me as much more difficult than ver. 4.

• Level 5*

I was looking for this function as well & could not find a way to do it. Please someone from EN tell us this is possible !! Or at the very least, being worked on :)

As far as I know there is no way to edit saved searches on iOS, OSX, or the Web (are saved searches even available?), so you have to switch platforms if you want to do it. Parallels + Windows version of Evernote will provide one solution.

Personally, as I rely a lot on searches to navigate my account, I have been using some workarounds to shift away from saved searches, which do not fit my use case any longer.

(1) Make a personal wiki using note links, and create one saved search that leads to the "home" page.

This has several benefits. First, it will enable you to quickly navigate around your account no matter what client you are using. Instead of saved searches, link to a note that contains all of the results for a saved search (CMD + a, drag into note opened in another window). Second, it also enables you to avoid having to change the sort orders each search, because the results will be pre-sorted for you. Third, search results are very inconsistent among clients at the moment, and you can save the "hits" into a note for use on a client whose searches do not work as well. Obviously, this works best for searches with results that are relatively unchanging over time, like a search for all of your journal entries from 2012. A search for 2013 journal entries would return different results every day, so it would not be a good candidate for this.

(2) Make a note with all of your saved searches in it.

Make one saved search that will take you to this page, and from here you can copy/paste/edit as needed. On the iPad, saved searches do not show you what the saved search is searching for or allow you to add things to it in order to further filter the results, so this workaround solves both of these problems as well.

For anyone using Evernote for GTD, saved searches are key.

It seems like the saved searches feature gets short shrift in each version.

The suggestion made by @GrumpyMonkey is a strong indication of this.

Please work on making creating and editing saved searches seamless on all platforms.

Thanks.

How do I save a search in a note? The saved searches in the search menu are pretty hard to click properly on the Mac client.

Why such a huge difference between client functionality? Mac users don't deserve to edit their searches???

How do I set up Evernote to start up at login with my most important saved search (@Work 1-Now)?

Thanks

Darryl

• Level 5*

How do I save a search in a note? The saved searches in the search menu are pretty hard to click properly on the Mac client.

Why such a huge difference between client functionality? Mac users don't deserve to edit their searches???

How do I set up Evernote to start up at login with my most important saved search (@Work 1-Now)?

Thanks

Darryl

Hi. I have a note full of common search queries that I make. It is a list of stuff like this, arranged according to topic / use.

notebook:x tag:y intitle:z <search term>

My recommendation would be to try something like this (copy/paste from it), because you cannot edit saved searches on the current version of the Mac or OSX client. If you have access to the Windows client, you can edit the saved searches there.

If you want to use saved searches in the Mac client, and you want it to open up with a particular search on the OSX client, then I don't think you can do it logging out / logging in. If you are just quitting the app / reopening the app, though, I think whatever your last search query was will be remembered. 

Here's something else I found that would be useful. Put this under Newbie tips ;)

First, I was having a hard time with the Search field because I was trying to click on the Magnifier icon in the search box. Unfortunately, that pops up and immediately dismisses the drop-down menu. I thought clicking the icon would just access the drop-down menu, but instead I needed to just click once in the search field and the drop-dpwn menu will drop and stay there.

Second, you can't drag the contents of the search field to the shortcuts area. You have to save the search first, and then you can DRAG from the search drop-down menu right into the Shorcuts sidebar! Bonus feature is that now you can go to your favorite search just by using Cmd-1, Cmd-2 etc (Mac shortcut). Drag the search into the desired order and Viola!

DZ

Saved searches are such a wonderful thing about Evernote, but I doubt many people even know about their existence.  Its so surprising to see "save search" hidden under so many layers of menu.

I would like to see the following changes:

• A "Save Search" button somewhere on the search tab.  And/or a keyboard shortcut to save a search.
  • A way to rename saved searches (to prevent the workaround of using the saved search, copying the search string, deleting the saved search and recreating it with the new name)
  • The note count on a saved search placed in the shortcut bar in the same way as notebooks can display their note count.
  • Level 5

When you have clicked into the Search field and the Saved searches list is displayed, you can right-click on the saved search to edit its properties.

1. You’re replying to a three that originated before the Mac client had the ability to edit saved searches

2. You can edit saved searches by clicking the Edit button

3. Right-clicking a saved search has no effect 

Archived