(Archived) Evernote for Windows 4.6.1 RC

dlu

Hello People of Windows!

We have an RC that includes the ability to copy notes from Personal Notebooks to business notebooks. We also fixed a few bugs related to business tags causing sync issues.

The issue with saved searches in the favorites bar should be out soon. Please let us know if there are any issues you run into.

Happy Holidays!

Hello People of Windows!

We have an RC that includes the ability to copy notes from Personal Notebooks to business notebooks. We also fixed a few bugs related to business tags causing sync issues.

The issue with saved searches in the favorites bar should be out soon. Please let us know if there are any issues you run into.

Happy Holidays!

Happy Holidays!

-- roschler

• Level 5*

Haven't checked all of my laundry list of issues that I've reported in previous betas (I know I'm a pain, dlu :)), but this issue is new to me or maybe I didn't notice it before:

* Make a stack that contains only joined notebooks

* In the notebook list, click on the stack. The note list now contains only notes from that stack, as expected.

* The tag list header now shows "Tags From personal", and the tag tree contains my normal set of tags if I have "Show all tags" enabled, or no tags if I have "Hide unassigned tags" enabled, but in either case, it shows no tags from the joined notebooks.

* Click on one of the joined notebooks, and the tag list header changes to "Tags from <the joined notebook's name>", and only tags from that notebook now show

* If you save this as a saved search, you get the same behavior

Seems inconsistent to me. It's not clear to me why the tags shown in a stack containing only joined notebooks wouldn't show tags from the notes in joined notebooks contained in the stack. I don't really see the value in that.

You still get stuck in the Business Library and the only way out is to click on a notebook to get out. Any other shortcut on the favourites bar or hotkey doesn't work.

I also have a question about the dropdown menus in the Favourites bar. Currently there are 3 different options that you can use, I also have an old pinned "Notebooks" dropdown that still responds to the shortcut, and shows ONLY my notebooks.

Will this be changed at some point, and will there be more shortcuts for the different items?

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/cfe560b0-b575-43c2-81e6-a79d9dd07bf1/49b421a83f01008b44010ad5d9aa4be1

Worth mentioning as well, I have had a couple of crashes in the last couple of weeks or so. Other than telling you that I have sent the info/error report as requested by the message, I have no other information about it. Will keep watching.

Because of known problems with Outlook (2007) clipper and Firefox clipper just thinking using the RC version for Windows.

• when usingRC version will there be later on problems when using the release version in German?
  • switwching to RC version means uninstalling the installed version?

Have a nice Xmas!

Because of known problems with Outlook (2007) clipper and Firefox clipper just thinking using the RC version for Windows.

• when usingRC version will there be later on problems when using the release version in German?
  • switwching to RC version means uninstalling the installed version?

Have a nice Xmas!

If you update to the RC, you can still use all of the GA/public releases later on. You can simple install it and it will upgrade you without having to do a manual re-install. We should have a GA release soon.

Haven't checked all of my laundry list of issues that I've reported in previous betas (I know I'm a pain, dlu :)), but this issue is new to me or maybe I didn't notice it before:

* Make a stack that contains only joined notebooks

* In the notebook list, click on the stack. The note list now contains only notes from that stack, as expected.

* The tag list header now shows "Tags From personal", and the tag tree contains my normal set of tags if I have "Show all tags" enabled, or no tags if I have "Hide unassigned tags" enabled, but in either case, it shows no tags from the joined notebooks.

* Click on one of the joined notebooks, and the tag list header changes to "Tags from <the joined notebook's name>", and only tags from that notebook now show

* If you save this as a saved search, you get the same behavior

Seems inconsistent to me. It's not clear to me why the tags shown in a stack containing only joined notebooks wouldn't show tags from the notes in joined notebooks contained in the stack. I don't really see the value in that.

jefito,

Thanks for the report - ticket #5757 has been filed.

• Level 5

For the folks who don't speak computerese, (myself included), I try to avoid the acronym jargon.

I've been storing some of these acronyms in an Evernote note for reference.

RC means Release Candidate.

It is more robust than a Beta, but not ready for Public Release

And GA means General Availability.

For the folks who don't speak computerese, (myself included), I try to avoid the acronym jargon.

I've been storing some of these acronyms in an Evernote note for reference.

RC means Release Candidate.

It is more robust than a Beta, but not ready for Public Release

And GA means General Availability.

Thanks for that. There I was thinking I was the only confused Evernoter!

Regards

Chris

This RC keeps closing....

Install on clean machine (No Evernote)

Wait for download db

was using the filter to find my old notes

go over the notes...

... suddenly unrelieved the message that Evernote needs to be closed

...no I'm writing this message to you.

Please keep fixinig your RC version before rolling it out

BR,

-Andrey

• Level 5*

@Mr.Note: This hasn't happened on my machine, nor have I seen it reported. You should check your Activity Log to see if there's any clue of what's going on, and probably open a support request.

Thanks, jefito for replying. I wonder if you're have deeper knowledge in the product?

From my understanding - any product I'm using I expect to have it just works, right?! Looking for the clues in Activity log...mmm... that might be also a good idea probably to look at the code itself, why not? So, the next step is apply for help to support. Unfortunately, that option doesn't work today...al least for non-premium users. Here is the link and you can try by yourself,

https://support.evernote.com/ics/support/TSEscalate.asp?folderID=224

Anyway, thanks again for taking care of that

• Level 5*

@Mr.Note: This hasn't happened on my machine, nor have I seen it reported. You should check your Activity Log to see if there's any clue of what's going on, and probably open a support request.

I'm running it fine as well. I suppose, if the problem is that serious, the easiest solution is to uninstall and reinstall using the public release version. Make sure, of course, that you have a backup, you are synced, and all of that.

• Level 5*
So, the next step is apply for help to support. Unfortunately, that option doesn't work today...al least for non-premium users. Here is the link and you can try by yourself,

https://support.ever...sp?folderID=224

Support inquiries for premium users are guaranteed a response in one business day, but there's no guarantee that a free user won't get a response in that timeframe either. So because this is pretty clearly a case for technical support, and even though you may not get a response right away, it would be a lot better if you did open one now rather than delaying, because that will put you in a higher spot in the queue. Meanwhile you can try to get answers in the forum, and maybe that helps sooner, but it's harmless to put in a request now.

• Level 5*

Couple of bugs related to searching. This is in the 4.6.1 (7860) Public release. Behaviors that were surprising to me are marked in italics.

1: All My Notes : search inconsistency

* Drag the "All My Notes" entry from the Notebook panel to the Favorites Bar.

* Favorites Bar tool says "All My Notes"

* Click on "All My Notes" in the Notebook Panel. The Search Info notebook dropdown displays "All My Notes", and the note list displays only notes that are owned by the user (i.e., are not in Joined notebooks or Business notebooks)

* Click on the new "All My Notes" in the Favorites Bar. The Search Info notebook dropdown displays "All Notes", and the note list displays only notes that are owned by the user (as above) plus notes from Joined notebooks.

2: Stacks of Business Notebooks (found this in I was looking for a way to isolate only Business notebooks in a saved search)

* Make a stack of business notebooks (I just put all of mine in one stack). Say that I've named it "MyBusinessStack"

* In the Notebook panel, click on your new stack. All notes appear.

* Drag your new stack to the Favorites Bar. Rather than displaying the stack name, it displays the name of my notebook in that stack -- I think this is similar to the known behavior of stacks that are dragged onto the Favorites Bar

* OK, so reset by clicking on your new stack again. The business notes display correctly.

* On the search panel, open up the notebook dropdown, and lo, there is an entry named "MyBusinessStack"; open that up and there's an entry at the top named "All Notebooks in "MyBusinessStack"". Click on that, and no notes show.

* OK, click on your new stack again, all notes show correctly.

* On the search panel, open up the Saved Search Properties dialog. Search query shows as "stack:"MyBusinessStack"". Great. Click OK to save. Click on that saved search: no notes appear.

3: "All My Notes" in the search Info notebook dropdown. Just noticed that this was added. Unfortunately...

* The "All My Notes" item in the notebook panel shows all notes from Owned notebooks only in the note list (as above). The status bar at the bottom of the window shows "Notes: 3214"

* Click on the "All My Notes" entry in the search panel notebook dropdown. The selection in the dropdown now shows "All Notebooks", and the note list reflects this. In addition, the status bar now reads "Notes: 4594 of 3214"

Think that that's all for now. Happy to go into greater detail if any of the above is unclear.

While you're at it, I may have one for you ;)

If I create an audio note, and leave the note black other than the recording, it doesn't save. When you save it, it just disappears. The snippet shows audio, and any edit to the note, will remove this and just convert it to a text note only.

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/0d2ad834-0cb4-47c8-bee7-234433ab4edf/bbad0a3c11dd2c204392fe05c9cac91d

Blew up to a fatal error when I attempted to merge 31 notes. After that, won't start anymore without giving the error.

Does not seem to be an obvious way to do a merge in the online version.

Merging notes in Evernote Web is as simple as holding [CTRL] while clicking multiple notes. In the right-hand pane you will be given a number of options, including merging the selected notes.

Blew up to a fatal error when I attempted to merge 31 notes. After that, won't start anymore without giving the error.

Does not seem to be an obvious way to do a merge in the online version.

Merging notes in Evernote Web is as simple as holding [CTRL] while clicking multiple notes. In the right-hand pane you will be given a number of options, including merging the selected notes.

oops, I should have posted this elsewhere; I'm not using the RC version, I'm using the public update. I've posted as a new topic.

fatal%20error.JPG?resizeSmall&width=1340

Shouldn't have confused things with wondering why I can't select from a list using click and shift click on the last item, like works most other places that have lists. Do not want to CTL click 31 items if I can use shift click....

Couple of bugs related to searching. This is in the 4.6.1 (7860) Public release. Behaviors that were surprising to me are marked in italics.

1: All My Notes : search inconsistency

* Drag the "All My Notes" entry from the Notebook panel to the Favorites Bar.

* Favorites Bar tool says "All My Notes"

* Click on "All My Notes" in the Notebook Panel. The Search Info notebook dropdown displays "All My Notes", and the note list displays only notes that are owned by the user (i.e., are not in Joined notebooks or Business notebooks)

* Click on the new "All My Notes" in the Favorites Bar. The Search Info notebook dropdown displays "All Notes", and the note list displays only notes that are owned by the user (as above) plus notes from Joined notebooks.

2: Stacks of Business Notebooks (found this in I was looking for a way to isolate only Business notebooks in a saved search)

* Make a stack of business notebooks (I just put all of mine in one stack). Say that I've named it "MyBusinessStack"

* In the Notebook panel, click on your new stack. All notes appear.

* Drag your new stack to the Favorites Bar. Rather than displaying the stack name, it displays the name of my notebook in that stack -- I think this is similar to the known behavior of stacks that are dragged onto the Favorites Bar

* OK, so reset by clicking on your new stack again. The business notes display correctly.

* On the search panel, open up the notebook dropdown, and lo, there is an entry named "MyBusinessStack"; open that up and there's an entry at the top named "All Notebooks in "MyBusinessStack"". Click on that, and no notes show.

* OK, click on your new stack again, all notes show correctly.

* On the search panel, open up the Saved Search Properties dialog. Search query shows as "stack:"MyBusinessStack"". Great. Click OK to save. Click on that saved search: no notes appear.

3: "All My Notes" in the search Info notebook dropdown. Just noticed that this was added. Unfortunately...

* The "All My Notes" item in the notebook panel shows all notes from Owned notebooks only in the note list (as above). The status bar at the bottom of the window shows "Notes: 3214"

* Click on the "All My Notes" entry in the search panel notebook dropdown. The selection in the dropdown now shows "All Notebooks", and the note list reflects this. In addition, the status bar now reads "Notes: 4594 of 3214"

Think that that's all for now. Happy to go into greater detail if any of the above is unclear.

Jefito, thanks for the reports - tickets #5840, #5843, & #5844 have been filed

mrobben,

The Autoupdate Folder in the Evernote folder, seems to have each level I installed.

Somebody might have been thinking ahead. I asked support about it. They weren't sure.

Let us know if it works ok. I never tried it, since I never came up level after 4.5.10 beta 2, or some such.

I'm not sure if this has been reported, but I'm experiencing issues with note-links, here's how I describe it.

* Copy Note Link / Paste Note Link into another note

* Note link works at that point in time

* Exit application (This also syncs on exit)

* Reload app and click on note link

** Note link points to a different note, but oddly each time this bug arises the 'different note' is always the same note

Unfortunately I can't do this consistantly to tell you exactly how the bug arrives.

Dave

Archived