Extra Tab for Web Clipper Keeps opening in Safari

KSM

I have tried to fix this so many times that I am about to give up. I am very Tech savy. . . . Okay, I have installed web clipper in my Safari (6.0.2) and I set up the web clipper options to open notes in Desktop version instead of Web client. Moreover, I always work in private browsing mode and I always clean out cache and browsing history, etc., every time I close my Safari browser. Now, each time I open Safari I get two tabs, one is the web clipper and the other is my homepage. And, my home page is no longer the default when Safari opens. Evernote web clipper becomes the default tab. How to I fix this? If you tell me the problem is my clearing out the cache, then I will have to delete this extension. I hope this is not why Web Clipper keeps opening two tabs. . . That is to say, Safari cache clearing seems to strip out the previously set option settings in web clipper so that each new relaunch in Safari treats my web clipper as a first install. ??? Any help would be most appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I had this same problem - this procedure worked for me in the Safari browser

Open preferences / extensions - select the evernote extension and turn it off without uninstalling it

Close and reopen safari - then turn the evernote extension back on

The evernote tab should not then appear on startup. 

hope that helps

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old, but it still has relevance. I upgraded to iOS (Yosemite) and it changed the way my Evernote Web Clipper acted. Safari opened fine to my home page, but it also began opening the Evernote Web Clipper page as well. Crazy annoying! And couldn't find anything in Preferences within Safari or Evernote to make it stop.

So thanks to this old thread! I was about to ask this same question when I decided to check to see if anyone else had asked it. 

Apparently, it can still be an issue.

• 3 months later...

I attempted dneil's advice above. Unfortunately, it did not work - I still get the extra tab opening.

I have had the Evernote extension installed for some time - and only started noticing this problem within the last week. But I am not even on Yosemite yet - I have an old Mac, built in late 2006, which is not capable of being upgraded beyond Lion (OSX 10.7.5) which is what I now have.

Just in case anyone here doesn't know it yet, when that tab comes up you can press cmd + W to close it. It's the fastest way I know to deal with this annoyance.

Thank you, Bonj, and EMGULS79 for your responses. I don't know why the Evernote team hasn't addressed this fully yet. The only solution I've had for it was to delete the Evernote Web Clipper from my browser. But that kind of defeats the purpose of having the web clipper.

EMGULS79, thanks for the tip about using cmd + W to close it. Very helpful. Also, congratulations on having a 2006 Mac still running! You've gotten your money's worth from it!

Yes, Mac rules. I took a sledgehammer to my last Windows PC (Perpetual *****) back then and will never, EVER saddle myself with that nightmare again.

Glad my tip was helpful. Incidentally cmd+W is handy for a lot of things. It's the general Mac keyboard shortcut for closing just the current window of most anything while leaving the program as well as any other windows/documents within that program open. For instance if you have multiple documents open in Pages (or even just one) you can use cmd+W (instead of cmd+Q) to close just that document without closing the whole program (as cmd+Q would). CMD+Q is the Mac equivalent of Windows Alt+F4 and would immediately close all documents/tabs as well as the entire program (Pages or Safari or whatever you were in).

(See, now I've given you a nice little reference article you can paste into Evernote!) :)

Yes, Mac rules. I took a sledgehammer to my last Windows PC (Perpetual *****) back then and will never, EVER saddle myself with that nightmare again.

Glad my tip was helpful. Incidentally cmd+W is handy for a lot of things. It's the general Mac keyboard shortcut for closing just the current window of most anything while leaving the program as well as any other windows/documents within that program open. For instance if you have multiple documents open in Pages (or even just one) you can use cmd+W (instead of cmd+Q) to close just that document without closing the whole program (as cmd+Q would). CMD+Q is the Mac equivalent of Windows Alt+F4 and would immediately close all documents/tabs as well as the entire program (Pages or Safari or whatever you were in).

(See, now I've given you a nice little reference article you can paste into Evernote!) :)

Outstanding! Thank you!

Great news, gang!!!

I posted a plea for this over in the General Forum, since it was getting no response here. Immediately got a reply from one of the Evernote Team folks. Here it is:

The issue where Safari opens an additional page on upstart will be fixed in the next release. 

Let's hope it really does go into the next update and fixes the issue!

Cheers!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

It is nearly 2018 and this problem STILL exists! Going on 6 YEARS now! Ridiculous I say! I have tried all the suggestions. What is Evernotes problem here? I am at the point of removing this extension and using something else. Tired of every time I open Safari I get extra tabs for Evernote and Pocket as well. Has anybody had a permanent fix?

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

***Answer from dneil is STILL applicable 2018/09/03 Thanks again! DNEIL (below)

I had this same problem - this procedure worked for me in the Safari browser

Open preferences / extensions - select the evernote extension and turn it off without uninstalling it

Close and reopen safari - then turn the evernote extension back on

The evernote tab should not then appear on startup. 

hope that helps

Archived