Accessible Evernote

clauderenaud

Idea

Hello all,

I heard speaking evernote since months and months but truely began to take a look at it few months ago.

I downloaded and installed the windows client recently.

Before going further I would like to precise I'm blind working with a screen reader (Jaws or Window-eyes) on windows XP/vista.

When I first tried the windows evernote client few weeks ago I found it quite accessible (even if it was not far from perfect it was reasonably accessible).

The problem is that I just downloaded the latest beta of the software and then I was totally disapointed to see a total lack of accessibility there...

I would like to know if a bit of work towards this problem is planned before the release or not ...

And in the coming months I probably switch from windows to mac.

Could you tell me if the mac client has been developped with Universal Accessibility in mind following Apple accessibility guideline ? and if not is it planned for a future version ?

I ask all this question because I'm currently a free evernote user but plan nextly to adopt the premium option ... and if you would plan to focus on accessibility for your products it would be very nice for me and all blinds whom I recommanded your solution...

75 replies to this idea

sweet. works just right. now all I need to do is figure out how to get Python invoke Internet Explorer such that it always goes to the same instance of the page (i.e. if there is a browser with that page, go to that page otherwise bring up a new instance of the browser with the page)

Related question, is there a symbolic reference forms referring either to a notebook/note hierarchy by title or some other short name?

Thanks again. This makes my life much much better.

Came up with a solution for how to bring up a page quickly so I can just edit it in a speech recognition friendly environment. The answer is "Internet Explorer". I need to invoke the ever note note in the browser and make it writable. For example, if I enter something like

iexplore https://www.evernote...notebook/e0.... I get the page I want in read-only form. how do I modify the URL to make it open in read/write?

--- eric

I'll put my vote in for controls for the Text color and backdrop in the user interface in Evernote. As I get older I find the low contrast elements in the modern user interface of Evernote (and many other applications) hard to deal with.

• Level 5*

I wonder why Evernote software is not subject to the "Americans with Disabilities Act".

Failure to comply with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission regulations could open businesses up to potential lawsuits

The ADA covers tens of thousands of other disability issues.

The Act has gone so far that it covers stuff that borders on the ludicrous.

http://goo.gl/cPnH3

The ADA does not cover commercial computer applications (as far as I know), and it is (as far as I know) mainly targeted at employers and public services. As I recall, it was Bush senior's legislation, so it originated in an era long before the Internet and personal computers had become commonplace.

However, I think in the spirit of the law, it would behoove businesses to do their best to accomodate those who are disabled even when not being regulated. Sometimes it just takes people bringing it to the attention of developers. I would like it if we could have more customization, not just for the narrow purpose of helping the disabled, but more broadly to give every user the ability to tailor the experience to their needs, whatever those might be. Two birds with one stone :)

• Level 5

I wonder why Evernote software is not subject to the "Americans with Disabilities Act".

Failure to comply with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission regulations could open businesses up to potential lawsuits

The ADA covers tens of thousands of other disability issues.

The Act has gone so far that it covers stuff that borders on the ludicrous.

http://goo.gl/cPnH3

Companies spent huge amounts of time and money creating apps and software. They are visually very pretty but very difficult to view for a long time. But I don't understand why theses very Sophisticated programs unable to view what works best for the customer. Not everyone view or use programs the same way. I work in IT and have worked on hundreds of pc's and each one is laid out differently for each users personal taste - whatever works best for them.

I use the ipad inverted colors feature but all colors invert and some apps look really strange. For example the EverNote green becomes purple probably not what EN wants customers to see. Companies spend money to develop a custom logo and push one button and the custom logo is changed.... Probably not what a CEO wants.

I prefer a simple approach that allows me to change the background, text and outline colors. All pictures and logos stay the original colors. Even a simple "night time" feature such as the app named "Jasmine" has. Touch one four dot icon and the bright white background changes to black and text turns white... Very simple but works great. Plus the app allows the user to change the text size. Not bad for a free app.

Hopefully companies will get the mrddage.

• Level 5*

I used Evernote every day on my ipad and iphone and it has helped me do my job better. BUT recent updates have made EN more challenging to use.

I'm Visually impaired and bright white backgrounds with light colored text is almost Impossible to see. I know I can invert colors and the previous EN version had a dark background with white notes creating a good contrast. The new EN version has a white notes on a white background and inverting hellos but very little because a white on white background becomes a black on black background with very little contrast.

Each of us view and use EN differently some have near vision but many are color blind many must zoom text others must have a high Contrast. My point, a lot of people are visually impaired one way or the other.

My suggestion is for the EverNote team but also for other companies as well. Create accessibilty options that each user can customize for their individual use. Allow me as a user to select a dark background with bold white text and yellow note outlines white another user can select a yellow background with blue text.

Allow users the option to customize EN in a way that helps each user overcome their visual limitations. I would gladly pay for this feature.

Thank you

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

I agree with you.

And, I think even for users without visual limitations, being able to change the colores would be very nice. The Macbook Air doesn't have the best viewing angles, and I am always having to crane my neck to see contrasts, because there is a bunch of gray on gray in the OSX app. It's not a big deal, but a minor annoyance. If I had my druthers, it'd just be black and white, so that I could read it from a distance (during a presentation, for example).

I used Evernote every day on my ipad and iphone and it has helped me do my job better. BUT recent updates have made EN more challenging to use.

I'm Visually impaired and bright white backgrounds with light colored text is almost Impossible to see. I know I can invert colors and the previous EN version had a dark background with white notes creating a good contrast. The new EN version has a white notes on a white background and inverting hellos but very little because a white on white background becomes a black on black background with very little contrast.

Each of us view and use EN differently some have near vision but many are color blind many must zoom text others must have a high Contrast. My point, a lot of people are visually impaired one way or the other.

My suggestion is for the EverNote team but also for other companies as well. Create accessibilty options that each user can customize for their individual use. Allow me as a user to select a dark background with bold white text and yellow note outlines white another user can select a yellow background with blue text.

Allow users the option to customize EN in a way that helps each user overcome their visual limitations. I would gladly pay for this feature.

Thank you

A simple interface for the text zoom-in would be just a toolbar on/off button. When you click on it, you get a text zoom-in to a predefine value, let's say 120% and when you click again, you going back to normal 100%.

Yes, this is basic and my biggest annoyance with Evernote. Different resolutions across Mac and PC make font sizes a complete mess. Manually bumping up the text size is a pain and, with long notes/webpages, can cause Evernote to hang.

Someone may correct me but I believe that EN relies on Android's built in speech-to-text. This feature is available the vast majority of Android devices. iOS has speech-to-text only on (as of this writing) the iPhone 4S and the new iPad.

• Level 5*

For those who are wondering what Lenny76 is referring to (selecting text and pressing read it): You can enable the function to speak selected text in the iOS settings (you need not activate VoiceOver for this to work). Works great for me, I use it all the time (and I don't find it too awkward to do -- when I want to have text read to me when on the go, I select-all, tap speak and put the iphone in my pocket without locking the screen).

brilliant. i did not know! i have been doing this for years on laptops. it is quite a handy feature to have.

For those who are wondering what Lenny76 is referring to (selecting text and pressing read it): You can enable the function to speak selected text in the iOS settings (you need not activate VoiceOver for this to work). Works great for me, I use it all the time (and I don't find it too awkward to do -- when I want to have text read to me when on the go, I select-all, tap speak and put the iphone in my pocket without locking the screen).

• Level 5

I think both of you made very convincing arguments for some reasonable improvements in the program. I've commented on this as well. But as long as Evernote hires youngsters (IMHO) who prefer appearance over function, it will be difficult to get vision-related issues addressed.

I just started checking out Evernote, and I am still hopeful if concerned. I am totally blind and use VoiceOver on iOS and Jaws in Windows. As far as I can tell both the iOS app and windows client are unusable bordering on inaccessible. I saw that this thread has been going for quite some time, but I cannot tell if there is any resolution of the inaccessibility problems discussed aside from work arounds allowing for high contrast and larger text.

In the Windows client I cannot read the contents of a note at all because the window is a custom class which does not seem to behave like most applications. Beyond that I cannot seem to get focus to any of the toolbar buttons. There are keyboard shortcuts which are helpful, but after pressing the shortcut I am at a loss as to what to do in the blank new note window for example. I cannot see the text, move the cursor from the keyboard, or get feedback on any text editing commands.

My main problem in iOS is each character typed generates a VoiceOver error tone, no feedback is available when editing text, and focus seems to move out of the editing area at random.

I hope the subject of accessibility in Evernote has not died and this extremely useful seeming application is available for all people regardless of their ability.

• Level 5*

Does Evernote have the capabilities of using a black background and white text? I need this function to take notes in a dark auditorium so my white screen is not a distraction to those around me.

No. If you are using the iPad, you have a couple of options. First, you can lower the screen brightness. Second, you can go into the accessibility settings and change the "Triple-click Home" to "Invert Colors."

The main thing, as far as I understand it, is that blind students use devices that read text on screen to them aloud. Part of Section 508 addresses how text is supposed to be programmed to render on a screen to ensure these devices are able to read the text aloud. This is what I'm really wondering about.

• Level 5*

Is Evernote Section 508 compliant?

Thanks.

I don't know, but I doubt it. My understanding is that Section 508 is targeted at federal employees and includes things like the ability to change contrast settings, see the labeling of graphical elements, colors cannot be relied upon to convey information, etc. I think there are audio components too, right? My guess would be that out of all the Evernote clients, there is at least one that doesn't adhere strictly to such standards.

At any rate, Evernote doesn't advertise itself as being Section 508 compliant. Then again, most software is not.

One more for me please. 2 day new user and my eyes hurt. I looked for zoom and didn't find it. I copied into Word and zoomed there. It's a definite omission from my point of view.

• Level 5*

Okay, this drives me crazy not just on Evernote, but on so many websites and apps these days. It's the trend of using gray text on gray or other colored background, making it virtually unreadable for people with imperfect eyes.

On Evernote 5 for Mac, I was just looking at the tags page. I wanted to go through and delete unused tags. Well, it's a gray font on a gray background. I can't read it. It's not like I'm near-blind, I'm 20/40. Even with glasses on, I can't read it either though, and I've got developing cataracts like a few million other people.

What the heck is wrong with black text on while background? Is Evernote about productivity or is it a supposed beauty contest?

It's just so damn frustrating.

I've got 20/20 vision and it bothers me as well. I am not sure how gray on gray improves the experience, and it almost certainly causes trouble for anyone with vision trouble, especially (I imagine) color blind users. It seems to me that it would be better for everyone to have black on white text, but so far I have been unable to make a convincing case for it.

Okay, this drives me crazy not just on Evernote, but on so many websites and apps these days. It's the trend of using gray text on gray or other colored background, making it virtually unreadable for people with imperfect eyes.

On Evernote 5 for Mac, I was just looking at the tags page. I wanted to go through and delete unused tags. Well, it's a gray font on a gray background. I can't read it. It's not like I'm near-blind, I'm 20/40. Even with glasses on, I can't read it either though, and I've got developing cataracts like a few million other people.

What the heck is wrong with black text on while background? Is Evernote about productivity or is it a supposed beauty contest?

It's just so damn frustrating.

Adding a +1, or +2 to this one also... I was just looking at an article I clipped from the web. It has a micro-font. I don't have a good way to increase the size at all in the Evernote for mac app.. I can view it on the web interface and zoom with the browser, but it would be phenomenal to have the zoom in the app.

Beginning to understand more. Vocola looks alot like AutoHotKey and can be extended with Python scripts.

I've experimented a bit with AutoHotKey and AutoIt, but the control classes are not really exposed.

Is there some feature that Evernote provides which no other software product does?

What I'm trying to say is, is it possible to ditch Evernote and at least try other note taking software?

Maybe those products support Dragon better.

Software like Onenote or Keynote-NF

The control class for Evernote desktop note page is WebViewHost which is not a standard edit control, so Dragon is not compatible with it.

You could take a look at:

http://nuance.custhe...ions-for-dragon

this is not a surprise to me. I didn't bother to explain this because most people don't know and even more don't care. I have found a way to make it work with Internet Explorer and I thought that was good enough.

Or instead of using Python to control the windows, take a look at AutoHotkey, which should be easier to use.

http://www.lehsys.co...lyspeaking-v11/

http://www.speechcom...g.com/node/3553

http://edtech.robert...-evernote-cool/

Evernote desktop already supports:

- Open note in a window

- Doesn't make multiple copies of the page

- Open note read/write

I have a feeling that using the Evernote desktop with AutoHotKey could be an easier approach.

I understand the feeling and can appreciate it but unfortunately, your feelings lead you in the wrong direction.

I use http://vocola.net/ for my command-and-control environment. Apparently it's on the terrorist list for nuance because they can't control it nor can they get any money for it but that's a very different discussion. I would use the desktop application if there were some way to invoke it from the the local API. I read the documentation for the local API and don't see how I can get my desired effect. Support wasn't very helpful they just said "thanks for the idea for a new feature". I don't hold it against him because I know they're very busy and overloaded with requests. Disabled folks like myself for such a small minority of the customer base (in part because it's not handicap accessible) making something accessible is seen as not worth doing. what vendors don't realize is that a simple external API allowing access to all of the data and operations accessible from the GUI would be sufficient for the disabled community to support themselves.

The control class for Evernote desktop note page is WebViewHost which is not a standard edit control, so Dragon is not compatible with it.

You could take a look at:

http://nuance.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3765/~/enabling-full-select-and-say-capability-in-other-applications-for-dragon

Or instead of using Python to control the windows, take a look at AutoHotkey, which should be easier to use.

http://www.lehsys.com/2011/09/using-autohotkey-to-hack-dragon-naturallyspeaking-v11/

http://www.speechcomputing.com/node/3553

http://edtech.robertborgersen.info/2012/11/autohotkey-evernote-cool/

Evernote desktop already supports:

- Open note in a window

- Doesn't make multiple copies of the page

- Open note read/write

I have a feeling that using the Evernote desktop with AutoHotKey could be an easier approach.

Ellison, thank you for all this work.

Yes, at this time, I think you need to stick with Internet Explorer. It alternative would be to use the Windows application if I could spawn a separate window on that one note page were series of the pages that I refer to regularly. Below I will give you a more verbose description of hopefully clarifies.

The reasons I need to stick with Internet Explorer are:

I'm disabled, my hands are not as functional as they used to be.

• I use speech recognition
  • 99.99999% of the application world does not work well with speech recognition (to put it politely)
  • nuance has their head up their bottom when it comes to community developing accessibility applications. They do a fantastic job with speech recognition but they are too much of the "mine mine mine mine mine mine mine mine" school of product development.

One of the few good things they have done with accessibility is they have speech-enabled Internet Explorer and so I can use normal Select-and-Say commands for editing text versus burning my fingers. Therefore my desire to use Internet Explorer.

use case

What I need is:

Speak a command (my problem)

Bring up one single note page to top of the window stack and make the active window

if the page is not already on the desktop somewhere, create a new instance.

Do not create multiple copies of the page especially if they're not going to be kept identical.

the page should be open read/write that he to take dictation that is, the cursor is sitting at the end of the note.

I can work with either the IE application or the Windows desktop application. Dictation into the desktop application is a little more complicated but I can deal if I use a couple of other features of NaturallySpeaking.

Thanks

--- eric

You've got http://docs.python.o...webbrowser.html, which only provides opening urls/tabs and no process info.

There's http://code.google.com/p/pywinauto/ which is a bit more sophisticated, but because the IE tabs are not standard controls, I had problems accessing them.

And then there's http://seleniumhq.org/ but would have to install drivers and maybe is a bit overkill.

Do you have to stick with Internet Explorer, because afaik IE tab management isn't really exposed in any supported way.

I've whipped up something small which uses the COM interface with pywin32. Maybe it can be useful.

http://pastebin.com/ZVbvPPZN

Don't forget to install http://sourceforge.n.../pywin32/files/

I couldn't find a way to access notes by anything other than the GUID.

But you could share a notebook to the public, then you can view it through https://www.evernote...e/notebook_name

Or use url shorteners. Still both workarounds are not ideal.

Evernote is great! It does on my iPad, iPhone and Windows and Mac pc exact what I want. Except one thing and that is audio recording while I type text. This is now possible, but it is not following my text. If you see the solution from the app AudioNote. You can type the text and the audio comes along with that part of text. If that is included in Evertnote it will be the killer app for a lot of people.

Thanks!!

Pieter

The next killer app for Evernote would be audio recording while you type text?

I could see it the other way around with a product like Dragon Speech Recognition where the program converts voice to text

But text to voice? Maybe for blind people. But a killer app for a lot of people? I must be missing something.

I think OP means a Livescribe type of thing but with typing instead of writing. No conversion...just being able to tap/click anywhere on a document/note & hear the audio that was recorded at that time. IOW, if my mom's doc says "take two grebednils" three times a day & I write/type "take 2 something or nuthers", I would be able to tap/click on that portion of the note & hear the doc's exact words & not have to rely upon my written/typed notes. (NICE, when you have two sisters you may have to answer to!)

I think this is a neat niche...niche being key. There are only a few companies that do what Livescribe does & I do think the next step is recording audio while typing on a device & being able to replay at will. But I suspect this is not on the EN to do list.

• Level 5
Evernote is great! It does on my iPad, iPhone and Windows and Mac pc exact what I want. Except one thing and that is audio recording while I type text. This is now possible, but it is not following my text. If you see the solution from the app AudioNote. You can type the text and the audio comes along with that part of text. If that is included in Evertnote it will be the killer app for a lot of people.

The next killer app for Evernote would be audio recording while you type text?

I could see it the other way around with a product like Dragon Speech Recognition where the program converts voice to text

But text to voice? Maybe for blind people. But a killer app for a lot of people? I must be missing something.

Have you tried setting triple click home button to white/black in iOS settings under General, Accessibility?

Btw this works globally in any app, not just Evernote.

why should i do that??

i know this method! and i also know how to dim my display.

but it's really not convenient for using.

i don't wanna switch the setting and the evernote from time to time.

The 3.5 UI was rewritten from scratch using a newer interface framework from Microsoft. We (incorrectly) assumed that this would provide better accessibility, not worse.

We're now reviewing the situation, and plan to improve this in the future.

Ok, so wait and see for a next version...

The 3.5 UI was rewritten from scratch using a newer interface framework from Microsoft. We (incorrectly) assumed that this would provide better accessibility, not worse.

We're now reviewing the situation, and plan to improve this in the future.

Unfortunately, I will not switch to Mac and so stay with windows.

But I just downloaded and installed the latest 3.5 full release and unfortunately again I noticed that since beta accessibility has not improved. With Evernote, 3.1 the windows client wa usible but since the 3.5 milestone, there is nothing to do, JAWS does not work with the software, it "sees" nothing....

For the moment I can use the web version of the service but it could be very nice if the 3.5 version could be as accessible as the previous version was.

Are there plans on working on this accessibility matter (you can do test with JAWS from FreedomScientific to see what I'm saying)...

It would be very nice if blinds as me could use your very powerful Evernote product...

I believe that the Mac client currently does a better job of following the OS accessibility guidelines. I know that the new beta does not correctly implement accessibility requirements for things like context menus. This is something we plan to improve, however.

Thanks for the feedback

Thank you for clarifying.

I will take a look at the future windows releases hoping accessibility will be improved effectively.

And as soon as I switch to the mac, I will never forget to take you aware of the dedicated client accessibility level with voice over...

I believe that the Mac client currently does a better job of following the OS accessibility guidelines. I know that the new beta does not correctly implement accessibility requirements for things like context menus. This is something we plan to improve, however.

Thanks for the feedback

• Level 5*

in your ipad go to settings -> accessibility -> triple-click home -> white/black :)

doing this will enable you to toggle white on black. i use this when i do stuff on the ipad in bed. of course, if you also adjust the brightness, then you ought to have no problem at all. because the ipad already makes this feature available, i don't think evernote needs to re-invent the wheel.

• Level 5*

If you search the forum you'll see that this has been requested before - it's not in the current beta so I'm pretty sure that it won't be appearing in the very near future.

I'd like to register an enthusiastic +1! As a visually impaired person, the use of this product, for me, hinges on this feature.

I'd also just like to say that in this day an age, these kind of accessibility features are usually common place (especially on the mac), and a lack of attention to them is troubling. Remember, this is not just a problem for near-blind users, but also older folks who don't have the vision they may have had in their youth.

hi

I've a suggestion,

could be an interesting feature the text to speech.

even if text to speech is already integrated in ios, it is difficult to select all text, then press "read it". more: if you turn off the phone the speech stops.

I could use it when walking outside and want to listen to some article I've imported in evernote.

bye

I am assisting a VoiceOver user in learning Evernote on their iPad. Is there anyway to delay the audio note feature so it is not instantly recording when tapping the mic button? The audio note is recording the VoiceOver announcement for a few seconds at the start of each memo. Thank you for your help.

I work with 100's of blind persons. A common habit is to use .txt files as "memory" products.

I'm advocating for the use of Evernote. Once very key advantage brought by Evernote is the abilty to record/store audio notes. However, I am advised that there are not keyboard accessible tools on the website nor in the PC based program that can direct the ability to record/cancel/play.

An improvement in a future release would complete the accessibility picture for this excellent product.

Rob

totally agree with goldfilm! I hope they bring zoom in&out function into evernote. It's frustrating when I clip a webpage into evernote the font is so small and is hard to read, even I change the font size inside evernote the format of the webpage just turn weird. Please update this zoom in&out feature in evernote :)

truly appreciate!!!

It would really be nice to have a dark theme for Evernote. I use Evernote on my iPad (and Windows laptop) in darkened theaters frequently, where I run the sound board (front of house engineer).

I know the bright glow of a white screen is distracting to me, and I'm sure it's distracting to patrons, not to mention the strain of having to adjust back and forth between focusing on the darkened house and my notes.

Please consider.

Thanks.

-r

you mean things change, roll with it ?

I meant this is a better tool than we could design, so I'd suggest using it. Home button access to a root feature of your phone is way more user-friendly than having to go into some settings menu we've designed for things like darknight mode. I'm not saying it'll never come, I'm just saying you have access to a great workaround when our attention is focused elsewhere.

• Level 5*

i'm with gbarry on this. evernote has lots and lots of things they need to be spending their time on (still waiting for my broken line breaks to be fixed!), and there is no point in re-inventing the wheel here.

i switched the setting and it works great, exactly like you want, and it doesn't affect ipad performance one bit. when do you triple click the home button otherwise? i don't see why you would switch the setting back and forth.

my only complaint is that apple didn't make this more clear to idiots like me, who don't keep up with all of the ios changes over time. i saw the option, but didn't really get it. thanks for starting this thread. otherwise, i wouldn't have used the setting!

as for evernote on a mobile device as just an ereader, i think you might want to reconsider the potential. on both my ipad and ipod it gets heavy use for content creation and consumption. the purchase of a bluetooth keyboard will blow your mind :)

Had no idea that was a feature, neat. Though if one finds triple clicking once when you begin reading at night to be cumbersome, any feature we implement along these lines (which, this is, btw, just not on the docket at the moment) would be just as cumbersome, if not more.

I mean, it's the home button. It can't get any more shortcutty than that. I'd roll with it.

you mean things change, roll with it ?

but i still think that it's really a usefull feature.

evernote on mobile device is just used as a reader, why not improve it for a better reading experience?

Had no idea that was a feature, neat. Though if one finds triple clicking once when you begin reading at night to be cumbersome, any feature we implement along these lines (which, this is, btw, just not on the docket at the moment) would be just as cumbersome, if not more.

I mean, it's the home button. It can't get any more shortcutty than that. I'd roll with it.

Archived